X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RebelMan
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Race Car Driver
    BTW, I was wondering how long it would take for you to mosey back on over to this thread. :lol:
    My wife stepped out. I had a few more minutes of play time. LOL :rofl:
    "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

Originally posted by RebelMan
      Amen brother!
      Most people already pay for an internet connection of some sort so that's not really a stretch and the FACT is those speeds and the service are readily available to most urban populations NOW. Not 10 or 20 years from now. They will also continue to increase in quality, speed and availability as time goes on.

DVD was the fastest penetrating consumer media format EVER and until a few years ago VHS still out sold it. Doesn't give you much hope for Bluray to make any serious headway before downloads/VOD geta a large enough hold to start taking over does it? DVD had no, zero, zilch competition and was a HUGE improvement over VHS and still took almost 10 years to take over from it. Bluray had this ridiculous format war, competition from downloadable services, cable/sat/tel companies and a vastly changed consumer base that's used to getting media on demand. It's is also less noticeable of an improvement over DVD than DVD was over VHS....I'm not liking those chances for media domination short term or long term.

I'll remind you all that there is a thread created for this topic if you prefer to keep it out of this thread:

(But with the war over, what the hell else are we going to argue about? :lol: )
      Jason

Comment

• Race Car Driver
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

My question is this.

Why does one format have to "outsell" ($$) the prior to be a success?
        B&W

Comment

• Race Car Driver
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

Xbox planning BR 360??

A recent leak has unveiled a new Nothing smartphone, codenamed “Tetris,” claimed to come with the model number A015. It’s believed this device will be the upcoming Nothing Phone (3). A report from Android Headlines, without citing sources, said that the device is expected to debut later this year, likely in July. The speculated specifications […]
          B&W

Comment

• BasementJax
            • Jan 2007

The format war may be over, but I think most agree the Toshiba HD-DVD players were great products at a very reasonable price point. Not probable, *but* wouldn't be funny if Toshiba: 1) officially abandoned HD-DVD 2) in a few months released a Profile 2.0 BR player that outperformed everything on the market and retailed for HD-A35 prices?

Comment

• Race Car Driver
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by BasementJax
              The format war may be over, but I think most agree the Toshiba HD-DVD players were great products at a very reasonable price point. Not probable, *but* wouldn't be funny if Toshiba: 1) officially abandoned HD-DVD 2) in a few months released a Profile 2.0 BR player that outperformed everything on the market and retailed for HD-A35 prices?
              I think that would be sweet. I have no issues with Toshiba, I just have issues with two competing formats that prevent the customer getting all options (in this case certain movies) if they only go with one format.

Thats where my issues (and I am sure everyone elses) are. I didnt care which one "won" I would have chosen either. However I enjoy having a PS3 (an AMAZING game station) that also does a great job playing HD media.

Sony played their cards right IMO. Every PS3 that rolled out the door was a potential BluRay disc buyer, even if it wasnt the customers intention at that time.
              B&W

Comment

• RebelMan
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by aud19
                Most people already pay for an internet connection of some sort so that's not really a stretch and the FACT is those speeds and the service are readily available to most urban populations NOW. Not 10 or 20 years from now. They will also continue to increase in quality, speed and availability as time goes on.

DVD was the fastest penetrating consumer media format EVER and until a few years ago VHS still out sold it. Doesn't give you much hope for Bluray to make any serious headway before downloads/VOD geta a large enough hold to start taking over does it? DVD had no, zero, zilch competition and was a HUGE improvement over VHS and still took almost 10 years to take over from it. Bluray had this ridiculous format war, competition from downloadable services, cable/sat/tel companies and a vastly changed consumer base that's used to getting media on demand. It's is also less noticeable of an improvement over DVD than DVD was over VHS....I'm not liking those chances for media domination short term or long term.
                Stepping in the ring are you? Time to put up your dukes Jason. :twisted:

1.) Dial-up is king and costs a fraction of broadband. 2.) High speed Internet is still a niche market but it is gaining in popularity. 4.) The infrastructure and the bandwidth is nowhere it needs to be. 5.) The proof of concept "pay-per-view" never really caught on. 5.) DVD's caught on because of the CD and the experience of what that media brought to the market place (I hope I don't have to tell you what that was). 6.) The competition was VHS and the vast libraries people held. Remember content is king not media. 7.) People like tangibles. Don't think so? Browse the isles next time you are in a B&M store.

Your wishful thinking is just that wishful. Eventually your wish may come true... eventually!. If you have faith in what you believe and say then I am certain that you don't own any HD media. Or do you have doubt? Hmm... :roll:
                "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by RebelMan
                  Stepping in the ring are you? Time to put up you dukes Jason. :twisted:

1.) Dial-up is king and costs a fraction. 2.) High speed Internet is still a niche market but it is gaining in popularity. 4.) The infrastructure and the bandwidth is nowhere it needs to be. 5.) The proof of concept "pay-per-view" never really caught on. 5.) DVD's caught on because of the CD and the experience of what that media brought to the market place (I hope I don't have to tell you what that was). 6.) The competition was VHS and the vast libraries people held. Remember content is king not media. 7.) People like tangibles. Don't think so? Browse the isles next time you are in a B&M store.

Your wishful thinking is just that wishful. Eventually your wish may come true... eventually!. If you have faith in what you believe and say then I am certain that you don't own any HD media. Or do you have doubt? Hmm... :roll:
                  Agreed on just about everything, however there are three that IMO is spot on..
                  B&W

Comment

• Charles
                    • Jul 2006

Toshiba announced, HD DVD is officially dead. Seems they have planned a quick exit from the market. Hopefully Blu-Ray will soon fill the gaps.

Comment

• helo
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by littlesaint
                      Really? And you know this because?

Also, just because a market has growth potential doesn't necessarily mean it will be profitable. The DVD market could recede and still remain more profitable than HDM. Plus, studios are also cutting deals with other lines of distribution. It's just not that cut and dry.
                      Common sense for starters. DVD sales growth has stalled or is shrinking in some cases. HDM is growing at a faster rate currently because it's a smaller market with higher upside in growth and because all sales stats show month over month sales increases that exceed DVD sales. No one said DVD market wouldn't remain profitable. Considering that VHS is still very profitable, it's unlikely that DVD will disappear anytime soon but to think that HDM won't be profitable at some point is absurd.

Comment

• Alloroc
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Dec 2005

"It's over, it's over, it's oveeeer, it'ssss OOOOOOOVERRRRRRRRRRRR!... cha...."

:#

Felt a bit of a song was in order!
                        Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• Lex
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Apr 2001

Well, no need to fight over HD in the DVD format now, now we can fight over closeout deals for players and media in the isles of your favorite retailers or e-tailers.

My plan worked regardless of who won. I decided to commit to HD, not to one format, so very simply, I got a good player for each format, and a backup via the gaming systems. So, into the forseeable future, I can continue to enjoy the HD DVD discs I bought. So, like Laser Disc, HD-DVD won't be dead for a looooong time. I really prefer my HD-DVD player to my BD player from sony, and yes, I had the best BD player available. Oh well, they are both ok players, neither particularly fast loading, but I guess I got the time, just stick it in and do something else til it loads up.

This has been a fun keeping up with this heavyweight fight. I think everyone benefited from talking it out in some way.

Now, I am going to say this once. NO more TIT FOR TAT Quoting of every thing another person says in this or any other thread at HTG. The offensive inuindos, and name calling stops here. The next offense on this board will warrant the person a 30 day suspension from posting privledges. I hope this is CLEAR.[U]
                          Doug
                          "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Ovation
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Lex
                            Well, no need to fight over HD in the DVD format now, now we can fight over closeout deals for players and media in the isles of your favorite retailers or e-tailers.
                            Here's hoping this becomes a reality (the closeout deals, not the fights :W ).

Comment

• littlesaint
                              • Jul 2007

I wonder what the margins are for HD-DVD media? Amazon consistently sells them at 30% off which comes out to ~$20. They're low volume, so margins must still be high even at that price. I've been restricting purchases of either format to the just the better transfers, but if HD-DVD drops to or below DVD prices, I may be inclined to replace more of my DVDs. Unlike my LaserDisc player (which is reserved for Star Wars :B ), the XA2 will be staying in the rack as at least a DVD player, so why not add more HD-DVDs if their cheap.
                              Santino

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Comment

• Nolan B
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Sep 2005

Thats all she wrote

And then there was one...

Comment

• impala454
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Oct 2007

I wonder how cheap HD-DVDs will get... I'm keeping my XA2 for sure, if for no other reason that it upconverts well and keeps my panny BD player from wasting life spinning SD DVDs. I'm just curious if we'll see stuff like "ALL HD DVDS MUST GO!! NEW LOW PRICE OF $23/ea!"
                                  -Chuck

Comment

• littlesaint
                                    • Jul 2007

Originally posted by impala454
                                    I wonder how cheap HD-DVDs will get... I'm keeping my XA2 for sure, if for no other reason that it upconverts well and keeps my panny BD player from wasting life spinning SD DVDs. I'm just curious if we'll see stuff like "ALL HD DVDS MUST GO!! NEW LOW PRICE OF $23/ea!"
                                    $23 :E You live in Canada or something? I wouldn't consider anything more than what DVDs are already selling at. $10-$15 sounds about right.
                                    Santino

Comment

• littlesaint
                                      • Jul 2007

A German site is reporting that Paramount and Universal are onboard with Blu-ray, but offers no specifics or time table. Like anything else in this area, probably best to wait for an official announcement.
                                      Santino

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Jan 2001

A German site is reporting that Paramount and Universal are onboard with Blu-ray, but offers no specifics or time table. Like anything else in this area, probably best to wait for an official announcement.
                                        I'm certain Universal, Paramount and Dreamworks, too, will be making announcements anytime now.
                                        My Homepage!

Comment

• hifiguymi
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Mar 2007

Here's the info that Universal is going to do BD.

www.HomeMediaMagazine.com covers breaking news about the home entertainment industry. News on Blu-ray, high-definition, electronic delivery, TV DVD, and video games, including studios and retailer news, industry event photos, polls, commentary & information.

Now all that is left is for Paramount and Dreamworks to do the same.

Eric

Comment

• bw4sure
                                            • Nov 2005

here is what was going on behind the scenes at the HD camp

Comment

• littlesaint
                                              • Jul 2007

Originally posted by bw4sure

http://www.glumbert.com/media/hddvd
                                              You're about a month late with this. Still funny I guess, but comparing something devoid of social value like a format "war" to WWII is a bit childish and insulting to many.
                                              Santino

Comment

• Alloroc
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Dec 2005

Originally posted by bw4sure

http://www.glumbert.com/media/hddvd
                                                Well, I'd not seen this before and it was a funny piece of satire. Nice.
                                                Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• littlesaint
                                                  • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Alloroc
                                                  Well, I'd not seen this before and it was a funny piece of satire. Nice.
                                                  I guess it is pretty funny.
                                                  Santino

Comment

• Ovation
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • Sep 2004

That was too funny (I was in tears). It shouldn't be funny, but, well, it is.

Comment

• impala454
                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                      • Oct 2007

$23 :E You live in Canada or something? I wouldn't consider anything more than what DVDs are already selling at. $10-$15 sounds about right.
                                                      I was being sarcastic, saying that's how they'll present sales to us.
                                                      -Chuck

Comment

• impala454
                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                        • Oct 2007

I love these, I had not seen the BD/HDDVD one. I particularly liked this one about the Cowboys: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYu68SHWh64
                                                        -Chuck

Comment

• littlesaint
                                                          • Jul 2007

Warner sources say they will keep releasing HD-DVD titles until May 31st as planned. They may offer restocks after that date if there is demand, but in light of recent events, that is doubtful. It will be interesting to see what the cost of new releases will be during the lame duck period.
                                                          Santino

Comment

• Ovation
                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                            • Sep 2004

Funny how the studio that effectively killed HD DVD is the only one that will be releasing anything in that format, for certain, all the way to 1 June.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                                              • Jan 2006

Universal switching to Blu-Ray isn't going to be as hard as you guys make it out to be. They are similar formats although not identical. Also I believe the studios don't actually press the discs them selves they have other companies that do that.

Comment

• littlesaint
                                                                • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Chetk
                                                                What part of what I stated wasn't true at the time?

Or are you just trolling?
                                                                Santino

Comment

• littlesaint
                                                                  • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Dougie085
                                                                  Universal switching to Blu-Ray isn't going to be as hard as you guys make it out to be. They are similar formats although not identical. Also I believe the studios don't actually press the discs them selves they have other companies that do that.
                                                                  The actual audio and video formats are identical (VC-1, TrueHD, DTS-HD, etc.). It's the authoring that is different. HD-DVD uses HDi, while Blu-ray uses BD-J. It will take time to re-author in the new software.
                                                                  Santino

Comment

• littlesaint
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Ovation
                                                                    Funny how the studio that effectively killed HD DVD is the only one that will be releasing anything in that format, for certain, all the way to 1 June.
                                                                    I imagine they're going to squeeze whatever money they can out of the format until there's no more to be made. One format winning is largely a PR move to get holdouts to jump onboard and provide a clear path forward. There's still a market for HD-DVD sales and there's still money to be made even if they don't support the format publicly. Amazon and Best Buy are now pushing Blu-ray as the winning format, but I also don't see them pulling the HD-DVD stuff off the shelves either save a disclaimer explaining the situation. There's still some demand while the ship sinks from those who have the hardware.
                                                                    Santino

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                                      • Jan 2006

The actual audio and video formats are identical (VC-1, TrueHD, DTS-HD, etc.).
                                                                      Actually Blu-Ray uses H.264 and AVC.

Comment

• hifiguymi
                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                        • Mar 2007

For Universal to switch to BD it has to re-encode enery title that was released on HD-DVD. It will take them time and cost a fair amount of money.

Eric

Comment

• littlesaint
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Dougie085
                                                                          Actually Blu-Ray uses H.264 and AVC.
                                                                          AVC and H.264 are essentially the same thing as part of the MPEG4 standard. Blu-ray has supported VC-1 for quite some time and many studios have been using it for Blu-ray encodes.

Blu-ray FAQ with answers to common questions about the Blu-ray Disc format. What is Blu-ray? How much video and data can you fit on a Blu-ray disc? Will Blu-ray be backwards compatible with DVD?
                                                                          Santino

Comment

• joetama
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • May 2006
                                                                            • 786

Originally posted by hifiguymi
                                                                            For Universal to switch to BD it has to re-encode enery title that was released on HD-DVD. It will take them time and cost a fair amount of money.

Eric
                                                                            Does anyone know how much it will actually cost?

It doesn't seem like it would be that big of a task. If they were redesigning the format then yea, but it seems like a simple conversion and changing of software would do.

Maybe I am wrong.... ops:
                                                                            -Joe

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                                                              • Dec 2000
                                                                              • 16877

And so the snowball continues... destined, I guess.

2/21/08 -- The following statement has been released by the Onkyo Corporation of Japan:

ONKYO WILL DISCONTINUE THE DEVELOPMENT AND PRODUCTION OF HD DVD PLAYERS

Onkyo Corporation has decided that Onkyo will discontinue the development and production of HD DVD players.

Onkyo has distributed and sold approximately 2000 units of the HD DVD players in the selected markets due to the growth of the large screen display market and high demand for home entertainment media. Onkyo has reached its decision to discontinue the development and production of HD DVD players after thorough review of Toshiba’s public announcement “Toshiba Announces Discontinuation of HD DVD Businesses” on February 19, 2008. As Onkyo manufactures HD DVD players with core parts supplied by Toshiba, it will be difficult for Onkyo to continue its further development and production of HD DVD players. Despite this decision, Onkyo will continue to provide full product support and after-sales service for all owners of Onkyo HD DVD players.

Regarding Onkyo's prospective marketing of home theater products, Onkyo continues to provide innovative home theater products with high definition sound and images that are compatible with next generation disc formats such as Blu-ray.

While Onkyo has been an enthusiastic supporter of the HD DVD format, it was not an exclusive relationship. Onkyo's research and development teams have maintained a parallel development program for the competing Blu-ray technology.
                                                                              CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                                                                              - Pleasantville

Comment

• impala454
                                                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                • Oct 2007
                                                                                • 3814

Originally posted by hifiguymi

Eric
                                                                                I'm not sure this is 100% true. I'm pretty sure there wasn't any video/audio formats exclusive to either BD or HDDVD. Obviously they'll have to redo menus and actually author a BD format disc, but as far as the movies themselves, I'm pretty sure they can use whatever encode they used for HD-DVD.
                                                                                -Chuck

Comment

• Chetk
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • May 2004
                                                                                  • 247

I'm not sure this is 100% true. I'm pretty sure there wasn't any video/audio formats exclusive to either BD or HDDVD. Obviously they'll have to redo menus and actually author a BD format disc, but as far as the movies themselves, I'm pretty sure they can use whatever encode they used for HD-DVD.
                                                                                  Which would be bad and a definite injustice to Blu-Ray. I will put in a disclaimer here that I have heard that many of their HD-DVD encodes are way below average when it comes to picture quality. I have not experienced it for myself. However, here's hoping they at least do a lossless audio codec.

Comment

• hifiguymi
                                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                                    • Mar 2007
                                                                                    • 1532

From what I understand it's not simple to change the interactive part of the discs. Since HDi and BD-Java are totally different it will be very much like redoing the whole disc. I hope, just like Chetk, that with the added space on BD's that the movies that had DD+ will now get Dolby TrueHD. If that were to happen it would be just like a re-encode as well. We'll have to wait and see what happens.

Eric

Comment

• hifiguymi
                                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                                      • Mar 2007
                                                                                      • 1532

I read an article from a link on The Digital Bits I thought was interesting. Since I don't follow this end of the business I don't know how much of it is true but it's an interesting read.

Eric

Comment

• impala454
                                                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                        • Oct 2007
                                                                                        • 3814

Originally posted by Chetk
                                                                                        Which would be bad and a definite injustice to Blu-Ray. I will put in a disclaimer here that I have heard that many of their HD-DVD encodes are way below average when it comes to picture quality. I have not experienced it for myself. However, here's hoping they at least do a lossless audio codec.
                                                                                        Almost all of Universal's HD-DVD titles are VC-1. I'm not sure how these would be an "injustice" to Blu-ray.
                                                                                        -Chuck

Comment

• Chetk
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • May 2004
                                                                                          • 247

Almost all of Universal's HD-DVD titles are VC-1. I'm not sure how these would be an "injustice" to Blu-ray.
                                                                                          Please see the difference between HD-DVD's maximum bit rate and Blu-Ray's maximum bit rate. VC-1 is good, but it's not THAT good. Perhaps Microsoft would have you believe that VC-1 at lower bit rates equals AVC or Mpeg-2 at higher bit rates, but high-bit rate AVC encoded Blu-Rays have consistantly proven to render a better picture quality than lower bit-rate HD-DVDs when full-length movies with additional extras are considered.

Comment

• impala454
                                                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                            • Oct 2007
                                                                                            • 3814

The read rates for Blu-ray & HD-DVD are exactly the same.
                                                                                            -Chuck

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"