X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Not at all! Nothing wrong with it, you're just an excited HD-DVD fan!
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Sithlord
      • Aug 2004

Yes I just read this news and I'm pretty disappointed. I was really looking forward to owning Transformers on Blu-Ray being a PS3 owner. Well this may force me to buy a dual player now which I didn't want to do but what choice do I have if I want to own one of the biggest movies of the year in Hi-Def. Ho hum I'm sick of this HD war.

Comment

• Chetk
        • May 2004

Don't worry. Michael Bay is already holding Transformers 2 ransom and Spielberg won't let them screw up his movies. It's just an 18-month contract and the contract may not even hold up. Paramount will be back. All the Blu-Ray supporters are already boycotting Paramount (everything they produce) until they return to Blu (who has a 2:1 or 3:1 market share.) Either way, Paramount will be regretting this decision.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

It's going to be a dual-player world by the looks of things. There will likely be some of these players released, along with the Samsung, by other mfgrs in time for the Holidays. I'm still in no rush to make a move so I'll wait and see.
          My Homepage!

Comment

• littlesaint
            • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Chetk
            Don't worry. Michael Bay is already holding Transformers 2 ransom and Spielberg won't let them screw up his movies. It's just an 18-month contract and the contract may not even hold up. Paramount will be back. All the Blu-Ray supporters are already boycotting Paramount (everything they produce) until they return to Blu (who has a 2:1 or 3:1 market share.) Either way, Paramount will be regretting this decision.
            First of all BD does not hold a 2:1 market share. That's BD FUD. Michael Bay does not own the Transformers franchise so who cares what he thinks. The market share of HD-DVD and BD combined pales in comparison to DVD, so any boycott from BD fanboys is insignificant. Get a clue. :rofl:
            Santino

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Comment

• Hdale85
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2006

He's one of the biggest BD fanboys I've ever seen so I take what he says with a grain of salt.

Comment

• Nolan B
                Super Senior Member
                • Sep 2005

All the Blu Ray Supporter are already boycotting Paramount? Come on that is a desperate innacurate statement. Maybe on the fanboy sites you visit. But ALL BD supports. How could you reasonably know that?

MichaelBay is not holding Transformers 2 Ransom. The quote could very well be fake. Think about it. Michael Bay cares more about a small format like Blu Ray more then a 50 million dollar pay check? Not to mention there are much better directors that would be lined up to do the next one...if the quote was even true.

Think about it:

Paramount: Michael we want to you do T2.

Michael Bay: WAAA not unless you release T1 on Blue Ray so we can sell 300,000 more copies WAAA

Paranmount: Make the movie or you will not be welcome in future Paramount releases

Micheal Bay: I AM MICHAEL BAY!

Paramount: Michelle, get me security and call Peter Jackson.

The Actual quote from the orginal annoucnement was " a few years" not 18 months which the NYT reported. keep in mind tha even it it was only 18 months that would be not 1 but 2 holiday seasons :W

Honestly Chetk...take your blue blinders of. You sound silly.

Be movie fan, not a format fan.

Comment

• Dave999
                  • Mar 2007

Does anyone have an e-mail address at Paramount to send complaints about their actions to?

Comment

• littlesaint
                    • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Dave999
                    Does anyone have an e-mail address at Paramount to send complaints about their actions to?
                    Exactly what do you hope to accomplish? The deal's done. Move on. If they really cared what BD supporters think, they wouldn't have done the deal in the first place.
                    Santino

Comment

• Nolan B
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Sep 2005

Michael Bay relaxes.....

Don't worry. Michael Bay is already holding Transformers 2 ransom and Spielberg won't let them screw up his movies. .
                      :W

"Last night at dinner I was having dinner with three blu-ray owners, they were pissed about no Transformers Blu-ray and I drank the kool aid hook line and sinker. So at 1:30 in the morning I posted - nothing good ever comes out of early am posts mind you - I over reacted. I heard where Paramount is coming from and the future of HD and players that will be close to the $200 mark which is the magic number. I like what I heard.

As a director, I'm all about people seeing films in the best quality possible, and I saw and heard firsthand people upset about a corporate decision.

So today I saw 300 on HD, it rocks!

So I think I might be back on to do Transformers 2!

Michael Bay"

Here is a perfect example of how a format fanboy (from either side) takes a piece of info and then blows it into something like "Michal Bay holding transformers 2 ransom".

I love to see a link showing where you got the info from that Bay was holding T2 ransom...or was that just a best effort to try and pour poo poo on the Paramount news?

On a side note Paramount is not the only big news. Rumour has it Cedia will hold some more major announcments...for both BD and HD DVD.

***By the way if any of you were curious where the first piece of info came from regarding Bay's initial comments about not doing Transformers 2 becuase of Paramounts anouncement...it came from the same site I got my info that later states he regarets those comments and is actually happy with HD DVD.

his personal board

Paramount and Dreamworks Animation's decision to go exclusively HD DVD and even up the Blu-ray vs. HD DVD war has pissed off Transformers director Michael Bay. There's seriously urine all over the place. This is what he said in a post on his own forum:

more proof...

"he understands where the studio is coming from, and that after hearing Paramount's rationale for choosing HD DVD over Blu-ray, "I like what I heard."

Chetk?
                      Last edited by Nolan B; 22 August 2007, 02:52 Wednesday. Reason: more proof

Comment

• Nolan B
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Sep 2005

Paramount not just 18 months..but INDEFINITE COMMITMENT

In case you are curious here are the reasons Paramount went HD DVD exclusive. Person being questioned is Alan Bell, executive vice president and chief technology officer for Paramount Picture.

"Paramount has been getting experience with publishing titles in both formats for the last year. We've had a hands-on ability to see how these formats work in practice. And after some hands-on analysis, we decided that HD DVD was the format we wanted to support"

Its a good read with some direct questions.

Last edited by Nolan B; 22 August 2007, 02:05 Wednesday.

Comment

• Dave999
                          • Mar 2007

Comment

• Hdale85
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Jan 2006

.....so there will be you and what? 100 other people complaining maybe? How many people do you really think care that they went HD? I really don't as I have BD and HD.

Comment

• Nolan B
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Sep 2005

I have heard from a non realiable source that within 24-48 hours there could be an announcment "bigger" then the Paramount news, but in favor of BD.

As soon as I hear I will post, but it could very well be some interesting new developments.

Not surprising that the BDA would counter the current news, and so they should.

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Mar 2005

This is getting good. :lol:

Ill grab my popcorn and continue to enjoy my good ol DVDs.

Keeps money in my pocket, and out of Blu Ray and HDDVD until someone figures something out.
                                B&W

Comment

• Chris D
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Dec 2000

.... please, people. We don't need HD-DVD fanboys, either.

Am I the only one sick of the HD wars? I just hate it when I take a step back and even find that I myself have been sucked in, even just a little, taking one side or another, and for not the reason that really matters--getting good quality, cost-effective, readily-available high definition material and products into consumers' hands.

That's not what this move was about, it was only a deal of a company buying another's endorsement with cold, hard cash. And you know what? I have little doubt that the next response from BD will be the same thing.

We seem to be going the wrong way in the HD war, getting scuzzier and scuzzier. Do we need a nuclear summit to arrange an arms treaty between the formats?
                                  CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Hdale85
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Jan 2006

Oh I'm not on either formats side. As I said before I have the ability to play both Blu Ray and HD-DVD. Would I rather have one format? You bet. Do I care which? Not really you seem to get the same quality and what not from both.

Comment

• Nolan B
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Chris D
                                      .... please, people. We don't need HD-DVD fanboys, either.

Am I the only one sick of the HD wars? I just hate it when I take a step back and even find that I myself have been sucked in, even just a little, taking one side or another, and for not the reason that really matters--getting good quality, cost-effective, readily-available high definition material and products into consumers' hands.

That's not what this move was about, it was only a deal of a company buying another's endorsement with cold, hard cash. And you know what? I have little doubt that the next response from BD will be the same thing.

We seem to be going the wrong way in the HD war, getting scuzzier and scuzzier. Do we need a nuclear summit to arrange an arms treaty between the formats?
                                      I hope you dont mean me...

I am not an HD DVD fanboy...I own both formats and have a lot invested in both. Chetk just inspres me to post reality.

I have and will post big news regarding blue ray too..

If you feel my post history paints me to be a HD DVD "fanboy" please let me know (in public is fine) and I will make effort to watch my posts.

in the end all i want is HD content...which i have and and im really enjoying!

30+ BDs
                                      80+ HD DVs

Comment

• Chris D
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Dec 2000

Well, I tell you what... if nothing else, Lex started this thread specifically with ... 'let's rumble"!!! No doubt we all are doing that!
                                        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Lex
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Apr 2001

Well, I said a long time ago, I bought both players so I could enjoy the best of whichever format had, and that is what I have done, and I continue to be unmoved by arguments to and from. I just accept however it goes, I've got the movies I got, with backup players with gaming platforms, so I just sit back and watch the punches fly.
                                          Doug
                                          "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Chetk
                                            • May 2004

Originally posted by Vancouver
                                            All the Blu Ray Supporter are already boycotting Paramount? Come on that is a desperate innacurate statement. Maybe on the fanboy sites you visit. But ALL BD supports. How could you reasonably know that?
                                            Please grow up. I thought this board didn't allow such stupidity to be posted. You know what I meant and now you're just being childish.

Originally posted by Vancouver
                                            Chetk?
                                            What? Are you trying to call me out or something?

When I wrote the post above, he was saying "No Transformers 2 for me." It was on his blog. He changed it. What do you want from me?

It's to bad that he allowed the movie studio to make him change his statement. I guess he doesn't really care about his dinner friends that all own Blu-Ray players. I find it funny that none of his friends said anything about HD-DVD.

Comment

• Nolan B
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Sep 2005

i found something pretty funny....

Michael Bay's webmaster went over the the Blue Ray forum to post some simple answers and explenations. It only took one day and they banned him.

It seems one day Michael Bay is a hero for Blue Ray and the next (literally) he is the anti christ...they really eat their own on that site.

Everything about Blu-ray Disc. Join the Blu-ray Forum to discuss topics such as Blu-ray movies, players, recorders, drives, media and software.

not news...and not notible..but a funny read.

Comment

• Nolan B
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Sep 2005

From the best I can tell Warner Bros will go HD DVD exclusize by this firady...its 50/50 at this point. Dont hold me to it.

WB has the single largest movie library of any Hollywood studio.

Comment

• bmowis
                                                  • Oct 2006

Vancouver,

Can I ask what your source is for this news?

Comment

• Nolan B
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • Sep 2005

Originally posted by bmowis
                                                    Vancouver,

Can I ask what your source is for this news?
                                                    of you course you can and its a great question. Unfortunately its nothing very reliable hence my 50/50...comes from a few different people who claim to have insider connections and have made other predictions (some acurate, some not).

If I were you I wouldnt take my post at anything more then a rumour...

Comment

• Nolan B
                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                      • Sep 2005

Steven Spielberg likes BD

This is actually part of the Paramount release. Looks like Steven doesnt want his movies released on HD DVD. I wonder why he likes one over the other?

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                        • Jan 2006

Hmm well maybe he's planning on packing all his titles with tons of features. The extra space on BD would probably allow that more easily. Although there are 3 layer HD-DVD's and HD-DVD's are cheaper to develope. So not really sure? I don't really understand the whole war to begin with. Both formats are good and they should have been merged into a single format. Problem is all these studio's and what not have fanboys running them it seems

Comment

• littlesaint
                                                          • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Dougie085
                                                          Hmm well maybe he's planning on packing all his titles with tons of features. The extra space on BD would probably allow that more easily. Although there are 3 layer HD-DVD's and HD-DVD's are cheaper to develope. So not really sure? I don't really understand the whole war to begin with. Both formats are good and they should have been merged into a single format. Problem is all these studio's and what not have fanboys running them it seems
                                                          Sony is looking to use BD licensing to generate revenue. No way they're going to merge their patent with someone elses tech and have to share the licensing.
                                                          Santino

Comment

• Chetk
                                                            • May 2004

Originally posted by littlesaint
                                                            Sony is looking to use BD licensing to generate revenue. No way they're going to merge their patent with someone elses tech and have to share the licensing.
                                                            And they shouldn't. Their technology is better.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                                              • Jan 2006

Neither is really better. They both offer the same quality.

Comment

• littlesaint
                                                                • Jul 2007

So was Betamax, and memory stick, and mini-disc, and the PS3. Do we see a trend here?

I like my BD discs (HD-DVD has better picture quality), but Sony really should learn from its mistakes. And before you go saying the PS3 is a success:

PCWorld helps you navigate the PC ecosystem to find the products you want and the advice you need to get the job done.
                                                                Santino

Comment

• Nolan B
                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                  • Sep 2005

Take the Red Pilll....

Great new intro...

Comment

• Chetk
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • May 2004

Beta Technology was a success. Do more research.

Comment

• aud19
                                                                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                                      • Aug 2003

That's a bit of a stretch, we're talking consumer electronics here, not pro gear and "success" in the pro world does not come close to equaling the volume or profit of a successful consumer technology.
                                                                      Jason

Comment

• helo
                                                                        Junior Member
                                                                        • Mar 2007

Saying Betamax was a better technology is a misnomer. Yes it had better screen quality but it didn't have as long a tape length which means VHS had a technological advantage there was the decisive advantage since full movies could be on 1 tape. Sony did help pioneer the CD which obviously has been a successful technology.

I just want one side to win in the HD war. I've watched movies on both and so far I like the BD movie quality better. I also like the name better

Comment

• Chetk
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • May 2004

Originally posted by aud19
                                                                          That's a bit of a stretch, we're talking consumer electronics here, not pro gear and "success" in the pro world does not come close to equaling the volume or profit of a successful consumer technology.
                                                                          Oh, I thought we were talking about "technology" seeing as how I originally said...
                                                                          and then he said
                                                                          So was Betamax, and memory stick, and mini-disc, and the PS3. Do we see a trend here?
                                                                          ...which are all technologies.

And then I responded...
                                                                          Either way, it still doesn't dispute that Blu-Ray is the better technology here.

Comment

• Lex
                                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                                            • Apr 2001
                                                                            • 27461

It is time to say COOL IT!!! Nobody is to call anyone stupid or childish for having an opinion, please guys, get along and have constructive discussion, or I will have to close this thread down or ban someone from the discussion, I don't want to do either.

I did not go back to the last page, and I don't have time now, but keep it above board.
                                                                            Doug
                                                                            "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• PewterTA
                                                                              Moderator
                                                                              • Nov 2004
                                                                              • 2901

My thinking is, if one technology was SOOOO much better, we'd be already down to one format. We're not because they both have their strengths and weaknesses...

I can see both sides winning the war depending on the way people lean... If the cost of production because a major factor, HD could win, if the PS3 really takes off, BD could win. There's soo many facets to the whole thing that no one can say for sure which is better or which will win.

Only thing it hurts is us as a consumer because we have to spend more to get what we want.

Course out of all this, Samsung may be the clear winner so that each party can have their technology and the consumer can win with having a single unit to use with both.
                                                                              Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                                                                              -Dan

Comment

• Nolan B
                                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                                • Sep 2005
                                                                                • 1792

An interesting interview with Paramount CTO on why they went HD DVD.

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                  • Dec 2000
                                                                                  • 16877

I've been victimized!

So I go to my Amazon Wish List, and see that the "Top Gun" BD that I had saved for pre-order is no longer available. :M

Greeeeaaaaaaaat.... :roll: Sorry, Paramount, I was about to give you money, but if they don't want it, well... okay. I don't have the ability to go out and get a HD-DVD player too.
                                                                                  CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Sithlord
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Aug 2004
                                                                                    • 285

Yes Chris I share your pain as I was also looking forward to owning Top Gun on BD. What I'm really pissed about is that Transformers wont come out on BD unless Speilberg does something amazing to convince Paramount. But he didn't direct it so dont think he will influence them much. Such a shame. Well the new Samsung Dual player looks like the go for me BD-UP5000 out around November 2007. Depending on price I just may import one.
                                                                                    I just had some hands-on time with Samsung's BD-UP5000 Duo HD, their first hybrid Blu-ray and HD DVD disc player. It's so good, it might as well be called BD-UP-Yours-Format-War. (Get it? Yeah, sorry, that wasn't too funny.) It's not the industry's first hybrid disc player—the LG BH100 has that honor. But it is the…

Comment

• Chetk
                                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                                      • May 2004
                                                                                      • 247

Stick to your "guns" BD supporters. Eventually, Universal and Paramount will make it over to Blu-Ray. It's my opinion that Paramount when over to HD-DVD because it's more financially feasible for them. $150 Million now, and in 18 months, when they re-release the HD-DVD titles only on BD, all the Blu-Ray fans (at which time their numbers will be higher) will go buy the back-titles. It's win-win for Paramount.

Although it has put a bad taste in the mouth of consumers. Many Blu-Ray supporters HATE Paramount and have banned any product they produce. I'm taking it a step forward and banning all GE products (to the best of my knowledge) and I'm letting GE know about it.

Comment

• littlesaint
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • Jul 2007
                                                                                        • 823

Stick to your "guns" BD supporters. Eventually, Universal and Paramount will make it over to Blu-Ray. It's my opinion that Paramount when over to HD-DVD because it's more financially feasible for them. $150 Million now, and in 18 months, when they re-release the HD-DVD titles only on BD, all the Blu-Ray fans (at which time their numbers will be higher) will go buy the back-titles. It's win-win for Paramount.

Although it has put a bad taste in the mouth of consumers. Many Blu-Ray supporters HATE Paramount and have banned any product they produce. I'm taking it a step forward and banning all GE products (to the best of my knowledge) and I'm letting GE know about it.
                                                                                        The HD-DVD agreement is indefinite. Only BD FUD claims it is only for 18 months.

Do BD-only supporters really think their insignificant numbers (compared to total BD/HD-DVD/DVD purchasers) are anything more than a fraction of a spec in Paramounts bottom line? :rofl:

Aren't there more important things in life to take a stand on than HD formats?
                                                                                        Santino

Comment

• Chetk
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • May 2004
                                                                                          • 247

The HD-DVD agreement is indefinite. Only BD FUD claims it is only for 18 months.
                                                                                          There's no such thing as an "indefinite" contract of this nature. They may be required to say it's "indefinite" to the general public, but contracts are not indefinite. They're just saying "indefinite" to save face.

Do BD-only supporters really think their insignificant numbers (compared to total BD/HD-DVD/DVD purchasers) are anything more than a fraction of a spec in Paramounts bottom line? :rofl:
                                                                                          I don't think any BD supporters believe we're going to break Paramount's bank. That's not the point. The point is to make enough of a difference that their stock holders and parent company take notice. Remember, it's not a boycott on just their HD discs. It's on all Paramount products (theater ticket sales, DVDs, PPVs, etc.) All we need is someone to take notice.

Aren't there more important things in life to take a stand on than HD formats?
                                                                                          Sure, do I only have to have one?

Comment

• hifiguymi
                                                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                                                            • Mar 2007
                                                                                            • 1532

I just don't understand why Paramount would do this given the large, and growing, lead that BD has in software sales. For the week ending 8/19/07 BD was at 71 out of every 100 HiDef discs sold an HD-DVD was at 29! At almost 3 to 1 that is hard to ignore. With Fox in the BD corner and having things like Star Wars "trilogy", the Alien "trilogy" plus all of the animation titles from Disney and Pixar in those catalogs is a lot of potential sales (if this format war continues and scares people off, we may never see these titles on disc). With things like the three Spiderman from Sony coming out this year, it's hard to think that format won't be a popular one.

I've been in the A/V specialty business for more than 15 years and hardware does not sell software, it's the other way around. Look at DVD-Audio and SACD. There are a lot of players out there that will play those discs and yet very little software. Part of it is to blame on the fact that people don't seem to care about high resolution audio, but as much of it is there is two different formats. If there was one, it would have been far more popular. It is true that you need the hardware to play the software ( and I think the PS3 is having a big impact on software sales), but there are more BD titles out now and more coming in the near future. If I was looking at what format player to purchase, that is what I would look at and that is what most customers that come into my store feel as well.

I don't hate HD-DVD, I just want one format. Right now it's hard to think HD-DVD is going to be it.

Eric

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"