X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • audioqueso
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

Do PS3 GAMES need HDMI for audio?

On a PS3, audiowise, the advantage of using HDMI instead of optical output vs HDMI is that you can have DTS-HD and DolbyHD with blu-ray movies. You can not get those formats via the optical output. Is this only true with blu-ray movies, or does this apply to PS3 games as well?

The reason I ask is because I'm contemplating on leaving HDMI AV processors, and buying the Oppo blu-ray player (which will still give me DTS-HD and DolbyHD via 7.1 analog outputs) for blu-ray movies. But audiowise... do I lose any abilities or format with PS3 games by using optical instead of HDMI?
    B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Not that I can see. The PS3 will send out 7.1 MPCM over HDMI for games, but I'm pretty sure it's some form of 5.1>7.1 conversion. I doubt any game will output a new format anytime soon, and I doubt you would lose much if you did.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

AFAIK, no games yet use 7.1 audio or the new HBR audio formats. Just a matter of time, though, I suppose.
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• audioqueso
        Super Senior Member
        • Nov 2004

One that I forgot, what about DVD-A? Do I need to use HDMI for that, or will optical work (assuming that the Oppo will not support DVD-A)?

Comment

• littlesaint
          • Jul 2007

PS3 doesn't play DVD-A. Some models play SACD, and for that you need HDMI. The Oppo is supposed to play DVD-A and SACD when it it released.
          Santino

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Comment

• audioqueso
            Super Senior Member
            • Nov 2004

Oops, I forgot that's my Marantz that plays them. My mistake. The Oppo is only advertised to play SACD, not DVD-A. Oh well, I'll just rip it to my HTPC instead.

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

But to answer the sub-question there, no, DVD-A and SACD can not be transmitted over legacy digital connections of coax and optical.
              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• littlesaint
                • Jul 2007

Originally posted by audioqueso
                Oops, I forgot that's my Marantz that plays them. My mistake. The Oppo is only advertised to play SACD, not DVD-A. Oh well, I'll just rip it to my HTPC instead.
                The final specs on the Oppo are not complete. DVD-A is still being worked out, but beta testers have been told it will be there.
                Santino

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Comment

• btf1980
                  • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Chris D
                  AFAIK, no games yet use 7.1 audio or the new HBR audio formats. Just a matter of time, though, I suppose.
                  Not true. There are a ton of games on the PS3 that are 7.1. In fact, one of their launch titles in 2006, Resistance: Fall of Man was 7.1 PCM native.

A list of 7.1 PS3 titles.

A camera, passport, good music, good food and good company is all I need.

Comment

• Chris D
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Dec 2000

Really? Sweet! I have RFOM, and I didn't remember it being 7.1. I can't get to that link right now, but will take a look when I can.
                    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    😂
                    🥰
                    😘
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😞
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"