X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nolan B
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2005

Waner to release HD DVD/BD Hybrid disc

Mods feel free to move this as a post to "HTG official High Definition high octane DVD format war, HD DVD vs BD, let's rumble!" if you feel its mores suited to there

Well Ill be damed.

First a dual format player and now a disc with both versions. Wonder what this will cost?

"Research commissioned by Warner indicates that consumers are willing to pay several dollars more than current high-definition DVDs for a disc that works on both players."

I wasnt part of that research
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

I definitely would not pay a few dollars more then current HD disc prices as they are like 25 bucks at walmart and 30 elsewhere so a few dollars more would be like 35 bucks. Thats approaching video game prices and WAY to expensive.

Comment

• Nolan B
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2005

^^^ agree.
      I much rather invest in a dual format player and pay for less expensive discs.

The thing that doesnt make sense to me is that Waner is a neutral studio. This would be big news if it was coming from Fox, Disney or Universal. Both sides can get WB tittles already.

Comment

• Hdale85
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

Well its better and cheaper for Warner you see. They would not need 2 assmebly lines or whatever they are burning 2 different versions of the movie and paying twice the employees and what not.

Comment

• mike c
          • Dec 2005

Originally posted by article
          "Research commissioned by Warner indicates that consumers are willing to pay several dollars more than current high-definition DVDs for a disc that works on both players."
          hahaha

they have it backwards ... or they're delusional.

consumers are willing to pay MORE for combo PLAYERS, not discs!

let's say I have BOTH players ... I'd still pick EITHER a BD or HD, why buy something more expensive.

let's say I only have one of the two players ... since warner releases in both formats, I'd still pick EITHER a BD or HD, whichever I have!

Comment

• Lex
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Apr 2001

actually, the benefit would be future proofing if one format flops, then your discs would carry forward theoretically as you upgraded players perhaps in the future.
            Doug
            "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Ovation
              Super Senior Member
              • Sep 2004

If only Warner goes with this, then it will not get very far, though if they make it an exclusive format, I don't see how this is any different than offering two separate formats (the initial price premium, I suspect, would disappear and the cost would be comparable to whatever they are charging for either format now). However, I suspect Warner would like several (ideally all) studios to join in, as that would result in a de facto single format and all hi-def players could access a hi-def version. However, are they not courting another fiasco (a la DualDisc) where manufacturers might balk at certifying their players as "multiformat hybrid disc" (or whatever they want to call it) compatible?

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2001

And so the soap opera continues... :roll:
                My Homepage!

Comment

• peterS
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Dec 2005

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
                  And so the soap opera continues... :roll:
                  im just picturing having to explain to someone who still uses vhs this :roll:

Comment

• Kevin P
                    • Aug 2000

How about HD on one side and SD-DVD on the other? That way people buying discs now can play them on their current players, and then play them in HD when they get a new player in the future. Of course, that would mean settling on BD vs. HD-DVD, unless a multi-layered hybrid could be engineered. Now that would be cool. Put the disc in a HD-DVD player and the HD-DVD layer plays. Put it in a BluRay player and the BluRay layer plays. Put it in a quaint old SD DVD player, and SD DVD plays.
                    Originally posted by peterS
                    im just picturing having to explain to someone who still uses vhs this :roll:
                    Sounds like a D-VHS convert to me! :lol:

Comment

• Nolan B
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Kevin P
                      How about HD on one side and SD-DVD
                      this has been available from the begging on many movies. I own about 15 Combo discs. I never use the SD side, or know exactly why its there, but they cost APX 30% more then a regular HD DVD.

Comment

• Ovation
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Sep 2004

unless a multi-layered hybrid could be engineered. Now that would be cool. Put the disc in a HD-DVD player and the HD-DVD layer plays. Put it in a BluRay player and the BluRay layer plays. Put it in a quaint old SD DVD player, and SD DVD plays.
                        Warner is talking about doing that as well, if I remember correctly.

Comment

• Kevin P
                          • Aug 2000

I found this in the article:
                          Originally posted by AP article
                          Warner Bros. has also patented a disc that can contain three versions of a film — one in each of the rival high-def formats and a third that can be viewed on standard definition players.
                          8)

Comment

• Lex
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Apr 2001

I own about 15 Combo discs. I never use the SD side, or know exactly why its there, but they cost APX 30% more then a regular HD DVD.
                            It's there because they can charge an extra 30% if they put it there, LOL.
                            Doug

Comment

• Hdale85
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Jan 2006

Thats probably completely true! I don't see how having a combo disc that does all 3 would help the HD Disc era. Seems it would be stepping backwards.

Comment

• gianni
                                • Nov 2002

This is really turning into a case of many chickens running around with their heads cut off. Given the complexities, compromises, cost and time required for current universal players to reach a desirable state of development, I can only imagine a more complex HD universal is only going to take that much longer to iron out and evolve. Let's not even begin to talk about all the loose ends and the fact that HDMI is still a work in progress.

The more I read about HD (it's become rediculously entertaining), the happier I am to wait. It gets better all the time....the leading edge or the lunatic fringe?
                                What a huge joke. It's making that Denon 2930ci or 3930ci with the new chips look better and better all the time. :rofl:

I know, I know....it's still not HD. Fine by me.

Comment

• Chris D
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Dec 2000

Yeah, I agree, I don't think many (if any) consumers will want to pay extra for a disc in both HD formats.
                                  CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                                  - Pleasantville

Comment

• Brandon B
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Jun 2001

I found this in the article: 8)

Originally Posted by AP article
                                    Warner Bros. has also patented a disc that can contain three versions of a film — one in each of the rival high-def formats and a third that can be viewed on standard definition players.
                                    And if you'll look over here, you'll see I have created a monkey with FOUR ASSES!

BB

Comment

• Lex
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Apr 2001

What we really need is a 3 disc set, enclosed will be a disc for each of the competing formats, fight over, the 3rd disc will be a chronicle of the whining, bitch slapping, shin kicking, name calling, and personal attacks of the BD Boys vs. the HD-DVD Dudes and will end in a best of 3 arm wrestling match between the chairm3n of each consortium with Joe Kane pretending to be unbias and refereeing. :lol:
                                      Doug

Comment

• Nolan B
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Lex
                                        What we really need is a 3 disc set, enclosed will be a disc for each of the competing formats, fight over, the 3rd disc will be a chronicle of the whining, bitch slapping, shin kicking, name calling, and personal attacks of the BD Boys vs. the HD-DVD Dudes and will end in a best of 3 arm wrestling match between the chairm3n of each consortium with Joe Kane pretending to be unbias and refereeing. :lol:
                                        They will deffinately get use of the new 51 GIG HD DVD disc for the 3rd disc

Comment

• Nick M
                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                          • Nov 2004

And if you'll look over here, you'll see I have created a monkey with FOUR ASSES!
                                          Haha! :lol: Haven't had cable in a few years, but I recall that was from Soutpark right?

Anyway you slice it, I'm not buying into a format until some sanity is introduced. Until one flops I'll be sticking with standard DVDs. My rental shop is still all standard DVDs anyways.
                                          ~Nick

Comment

• Brandon B
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Jun 2001

Yeah, it was the island of Dr. Moreau parody episode. Marlon Brando character kept making mutant animals with more and more asses and showing them to the boys who were like "why?".

Popped into my head immediately when I heard " a disc format that support 3 versions of the same movie".

BB

Comment

Working...
                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                            Search Result for "|||"