Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mjack
    • May 2021

Statement 2 curved speaker build thread

I recently completed my Statement 2's and posted the results on here. I wanted to try to create a build thread with the few photos I took while building them for anyone that might be interested. A lot of the ideas for the build came from previous build threads on here. I don't know if I have anything new to add, but I will try.

Click image for larger version  Name:	0218211236.jpg Views:	0 Size:	92.2 KB ID:	932911

Not much to show, but this was the start. I used a router to dado the wood for the front and backs. The template for the base and 5 braces for each speaker is behind the saw. A little planning had to go into the initial template because it would dictate a lot of the finished dimensions.

Click image for larger version  Name:	0305211605a_HDR.jpg Views:	0 Size:	205.4 KB ID:	932912

Click image for larger version  Name:	0305211605_HDR.jpg Views:	0 Size:	205.7 KB ID:	932913

I rough cut and routered the rest of the bracing and started the build for the internal framework from the ground up. I don't know if the photo conveys this, but this was a lot of cutting and routering and a whole lot of dust. A good dust mask is a must.

Bracing is done and ready for the inner front baffle. I am new to this site. I don't seem to be able to upload the photos in their correct orientation. If anyone has advice on how to upload photos so their not upside down, I would appreciate it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	0312211545_HDR.jpg Views:	0 Size:	182.5 KB ID:	932914

Inner baffle attached.

Click image for larger version  Name:	0316211307.jpg Views:	0 Size:	131.1 KB ID:	932915
    Last edited by theSven; 09 April 2023, 02:43 Sunday. Reason: Remove bad image orientation
  • mjack
    • May 2021

Statement 2 build sides

I decided that I wanted a slated top, so i cut down the back 3" before starting the sides. originally I planned on using layers of 1/8" hardboard for the sides in layers, clamped and glued to form the curve. I've seen it done this way in other threads. For me, it wasn't working very well. Between gluing, getting ratchet straps set up, and the amount of pressure it needed, working with this large of an area it just wasn't working for me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	0325211345.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	932908

I decided to do the sides in 2" slats of 3/4" mdf that were mitered to follow the curve. This way added some extra cutting and sanding but I felt it was worth a try.

Name:	0325211346_HDR.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	932909

Name:	0331211448.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	932910

One thing I would like to mention. If you are making the tunnels for the midranges like I did, they need about an 1" wide 1/2" deep slot cut out of the middle a few inches back for the top and bottom heat sinks of the tweeter to fit. It would have been easier before installing the baffle.
    Last edited by theSven; 09 April 2023, 02:36 Sunday. Reason: Fix image orientation

Comment

• mjack
      • May 2021

Statement 2 build top and front baffle

When trying to cut the compound miters were the curved sides would meet the top, I was having a hard time figuring out the cut. The reason is the angle was almost constantly changing. In the end I had to try to hold a belt sander at close to the right angle and sand them down.

Name:	0415211716_HDR.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	218.6 KB
ID:	932905

I wanted the front baffle to curve nicely into the sides. I didn't have an appropriate router bit for the job, so I mitered 3 cuts on each side with the table saw and smoothed it out with a palm sander.

Name:	0416211657_HDR.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	259.2 KB
ID:	932907

With the baffles on I added the drivers and hardware for fit(excuse the messy room). My 1st build was an active 4-way build. For me, the quickest way to get these up and running was to make them active also, hence the extra binding post. Their are 4 sets in the picture, only 3 are wired for use.

Name:	0427211643.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	932906

I currently am running them active with the DSP's used for just the basic crossover. To me they sound fantastic. I do have the crossover components coming from Meniscus. Although they sound great, I want to hear the sound that Jim and Curt created for them.
      Last edited by theSven; 09 April 2023, 02:32 Sunday. Reason: Update image orienation

Comment

• mjack
        • May 2021

Veneering

The last step after adding some stuffing, was the veneering. The veneering went pretty easy. I used a rosewood veneer with a PSA backer. I veneered the tops first and trimmed down. The sides and front were done with one continuous wrap. I removed about a third of the paper backing from the preinstalled adhesive. Pressed it down with a roller and removed another third until it was wrapped. It did use almost all of the 4' width.

Name:	0505210859_HDR.jpg
Size:	161.4 KB
ID:	932900

I had bought a really shallow guided trim bit from Amazon for my 1st build. It made easy work to trim out the drivers.

Name:	0506211011.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	932901

I used 5 coats of wipe on lacquer sanding in between with steel wool. The back and bottom I painted with Exohyde.

Name:	0513211314.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	932902

Name:	0513211315.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	932903

Name:	0513211320.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	932904

Well that's about all I have for now until I build the passive crossovers. I again want to say thanks to Curt Campbell and Jim Holtz and all the other designer who share their designs, time and experience so freely.

P.S. They sound amazing.
        Last edited by theSven; 09 April 2023, 02:27 Sunday. Reason: Fix image orientation

Comment

• Mikerodrig27
          • Feb 2015

Wow! Thanks for the terrific build thread! The speakers look fantastic! Was it hard to get the curves sanded perfectly with the 2" slat idea? Also, what are the other speakers 4th picture down from the beginning? They look like a cool design being 4-way with the baffle angles etc.

"Although they sound great, I want to hear the sound that Jim and Curt created for them."

I am curious to hear that your findings are with this.

Comment

• mjack
            • May 2021

Originally posted by Mikerodrig27
            Wow! Thanks for the terrific build thread! The speakers look fantastic! Was it hard to get the curves sanded perfectly with the 2" slat idea? Also, what are the other speakers 4th picture down from the beginning? They look like a cool design being 4-way with the baffle angles etc.

"Although they sound great, I want to hear the sound that Jim and Curt created for them."

I am curious to hear that your findings are with this.
            Thanks. The sanding wasn't too bad. Belt sander for the high point and Bondo and palm sander for the rest. The cutting and gluing was the bulk of the work. The original brace template was made the same way. Using a protractor and drawing 1" lines changing angles a couple of degrees each time then sanded to a curve. If I had originally planned on doing the sides this way, I would have left the bracing with the straight lines and kept track of the angles.

The speaker to the side was my 1st build this being my 2nd. It was my own design, but ideas borrowed heavily from Jeff Bagby and Troels Gravesen.

I too am curious about what changes the passive crossover will have. Will be sure to update.

Thanks, Mark

Comment

• mjack
              • May 2021

1st build

If anyone is curious about the speakers in the background, they are my 1st build. They are a fully active 4-way build.

2-way bookshelves

Name:	0722201426.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	932898

Completed 4-way build

Name:	complete.jpg
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	932899
              Last edited by theSven; 09 April 2023, 02:22 Sunday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Mikerodrig27
                • Feb 2015

Those look neat. What drivers did you use in them? A custom design for your first speaker. That must have bene a big learning curve!

Comment

• mjack
                  • May 2021

Those look neat. What drivers did you use in them? A custom design for your first speaker. That must have bene a big learning curve!
                  I don't remember the exact model #'s for the driver. The tweeter is a Peerless ring radiator, the mid a Scanspeak driver that was made for Theil. A great deal at $25 per. The bass driver are an 8" and 10" Dayton reference paper driver. I'll admit I was pretty naive, but I did learn so much during the build and learned how little I know. That is the reason my 2nd build was a tried and true design.

Thanks, Mark

Comment

• Mikerodrig27
                    • Feb 2015

Well it was worth it then. Designing a great speaker takes a lot of experience and time. Got to start the experience somewhere...

I love these Dayton woofers. I haven't heard the paper cone Dayton woofers but I don't think you'll be disappointed with the aluminum cone drivers.

Comment

• mjack
                      • May 2021

Well it was worth it then. Designing a great speaker takes a lot of experience and time. Got to start the experience somewhere...

I love these Dayton woofers. I haven't heard the paper cone Dayton woofers but I don't think you'll be disappointed with the aluminum cone drivers.
                      It reminds me of the quote "Good judgement comes for experience, and experience from bad judgement".

Comment

• bigbardmusiq
                        • Jul 2010

You inspire me to rebuild and make some improvements.

Image not availableImage not availableImage not available
                        Last edited by theSven; 09 April 2023, 02:18 Sunday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• mjack
                          • May 2021

Crossover build

Now that I've made them fully active, I wanted to complete the build thread. These are the first cross-overs I've made hence the bad soldering.

Bass network

Name:	0610211731.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	866215

Tweeter

Name:	0617211609.jpg
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	866216

Mid

Name:	0702211615a.jpg
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	866217

Listening Impressions.

The most noticeable change in the passive build is the reduced volume in the mids and highs. To get roughly the same volume in the vocals, I needed to increase about 7db. The payoff here is the bass has a much better balance with the other drivers. Before I was running my subs for music. With the improved bass, I no longer do. These drivers dig pretty low with enough power. They also seem to have a smoother sound transfer between the drivers. As Curt said, they have a relaxed and natural sound. Other than the increase in power to drive them, the only slight negative for me is the vocals had a little more of a breathy quality that I liked, a little more accent on the singers breath and the acoustics of the room they were in, if that makes sense.

With that said, they are wonderful sounding speakers. Possibly the best and deepest soundstage I've heard. Great imaging, still plenty of great detail and tight bass that digs surprisingly low. I enjoy listening to them every chance I can get.

Thanks, Mark
                          Last edited by mjack; 06 July 2021, 10:03 Tuesday.

Comment

• Mikerodrig27
                            • Feb 2015

Are these the listening impressions for the active setup? I agree with you on the soundstage. I have never heard anything else like it.

Comment

• mjack
                              • May 2021

Are these the listening impressions for the active setup? I agree with you on the soundstage. I have never heard anything else like it.
                              Sorry, I meant to say passive build listening impressions. Thanks.

Comment

• Mikerodrig27
                                • Feb 2015

Pretty cool! It is nice to hear them the way Curt and Jim voiced them. I think I remember Jim saying that he likes the speakers voiced with a little extra bass. Do you have a way of measuring the frequency response before and after? It looks like you are at the finish line! Congratulations

Comment

• mjack
                                  • May 2021

Pretty cool! It is nice to hear them the way Curt and Jim voiced them. I think I remember Jim saying that he likes the speakers voiced with a little extra bass. Do you have a way of measuring the frequency response before and after? It looks like you are at the finish line! Congratulations
                                  I do have a Umik 1. I regret not doing some sweeps while they were active. I will probably run some sweeps while they are passive just to see how low they go. I'm glad they're done and can enjoy them. I'm sure I'll get the urge to build again. It seems like a short list though to go up from these. Thanks, Mark.

Comment

• theSven
                                    Master of None
                                    • Jan 2014

Originally posted by mjack
                                    I am new to this site. I don't seem to be able to upload the photos in their correct orientation. If anyone has advice on how to upload photos so their not upside down, I would appreciate it.
                                    mjack I fixed the image orientation of the photos. You need to make sure that they are the correct orientation before uploading. Great thread and interesting idea to use 2" slats to create the curved sides. I would say that is definitely contributing to ways a curved cabinet can be created.
                                    Painter in training

Comment

Working...
                                    😀
                                    😂
                                    🥰
                                    😘
                                    🤢
                                    😎
                                    😞
                                    😡
                                    👍
                                    👎
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"