X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mgrabow
    • Dec 2009

Any Suggestions On My Next Build

I am finishing up design changes to my next build and figured I would put it out there if there were any suggestions for changes. I hate it when I am half way through or finish a build and someone suggests something obvious that I missed...

The photos below are the basic design by a gentleman from Madrid. He was nice enough to share it with me. It calls for two scan speak 21W/8555-01 woofers per side in a 75 liter enclosure and one 5" Audio Technology mid woofer for the mid in a sealed 12 liter enclosure.

I was considering using some different woofers because I dont think I can come up with $1800-$2000 for drivers alone. I was thinking of Usher 8955a woofers. I can expand the internal volume to of the cabinet to 3 cu. ft. by opening up the bottom brace that originally creates a dead space for the crossovers. Bassobox Pro shows me if I heavy fill the cabinet, I can get away with that. I am not sure if anyone else has something other than bassbox pro that tells me if this will work.

I was going to keep the money invested in the mid range. Maybe go with a scanspeak 18W/8535 for the mid. I think it will work in that anclosure and it will be a good match both in sensativity and in appearance...

Other than that, I am gonna use veneer for the sides and make the baffle a tad thicker so I can better time allign the drivers.

Anyone have any thoughts or comments?
    Attached Files
  • TacoD
    Super Senior Member
    • Feb 2004

Great pictures, I would use a 15cm mid to stay close to Sonus Faber/ Madrid version. What about the new Vifa woofers?

I would certainly not use the 18W, nice in a 2-way but there are better/ cheaper alternatives if it has to be a true mid.

For calculating your boxes, you can also try the HTGuide's recommended Unibox (free excel sheet). For me the simulation results of Unibox were spot on.

Edit:
    I also see there is a 8" version of that woofer, then I would do it a complete vifa project (ringradiator tweeter, 5" mid + 2x 8"). These new woofers have the latest cones + motor assemblies. I don't think it wil be bettered by the classic Scanspeak/ Usher woofers.

Comment

• mgrabow
      • Dec 2009

Vifa

Well the graph on that 5 inch vifa looks better then the scan speak. I cant find a graph on the ushers but the 8 inch vifa seems to have a pretty steep rolloff lowe that 100 hz...

Comment

• cjd
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Dec 2004

Who is doing the crossover design work for you?

Sounds like a fun project.
        diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• TacoD
          Super Senior Member
          • Feb 2004

Originally posted by mgrabow
          Well the graph on that 5 inch vifa looks better then the scan speak. I cant find a graph on the ushers but the 8 inch vifa seems to have a pretty steep rolloff lowe that 100 hz...
          You have to model the loudspeakers, the measurements on a test baffle are not always a good indication of the bass response in an actual box.

Comment

• mgrabow
            • Dec 2009

Crossovers

I will be doing the crossovers myself. I will post my preliminary design for comments once I know for sure the drivers I am using

Comment

• mgrabow
              • Dec 2009

Ushers Wont Work

Well from what everyone tells me the ushers need a larger cabinet. I was thinking of the Eton 8-800's. Bassbox pro tells me they will fit. Has anyone used these?

Comment

• JonMarsh
                Mad Max Moderator
                • Aug 2000

Have used the Eton 8-800, first time in the 90's. Not much Xmax, also likes a large box.

Fairly clean cone behavior, but it's pretty big for a midrange, not that great as a woofer. In the 90's, there weren't so many alternatives with good cone designs. Motor isn't all that linear.
                the AudioWorx
                Natalie P
                M8ta
                Modula Neo DCC
                Modula MT XE
                Modula Xtreme
                Isiris
                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                Minerva Monitor
                Calliope
                Ardent D

In Development...
                Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                Obi-Wan
                Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                Modula PWB
                Calliope CC Supreme
                Natalie P Ultra
                Natalie P Supreme
                Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• mgrabow
                  • Dec 2009

Anyone familiar with these?

Anyone familiar with these?

Free support for loudspeaker projects, sourcing OEM speaker building supplies, and passive crossover design. We sell raw speaker drivers (tweeters, woofers, subwoofer, midrange drivers, full range drivers), speaker kits, amplifiers, capacitors, resistors, and inductors.

They will work according to bassbox

Comment

• shon35us
                    • Jul 2009

what site did you fine those at?

Originally posted by mgrabow
                    I am finishing up design changes to my next build and figured I would put it out there if there were any suggestions for changes. I hate it when I am half way through or finish a build and someone suggests something obvious that I missed...

The photos below are the basic design by a gentleman from Madrid. He was nice enough to share it with me. It calls for two scan speak 21W/8555-01 woofers per side in a 75 liter enclosure and one 5" Audio Technology mid woofer for the mid in a sealed 12 liter enclosure.

I was considering using some different woofers because I dont think I can come up with $1800-$2000 for drivers alone. I was thinking of Usher 8955a woofers. I can expand the internal volume to of the cabinet to 3 cu. ft. by opening up the bottom brace that originally creates a dead space for the crossovers. Bassobox Pro shows me if I heavy fill the cabinet, I can get away with that. I am not sure if anyone else has something other than bassbox pro that tells me if this will work.

I was going to keep the money invested in the mid range. Maybe go with a scanspeak 18W/8535 for the mid. I think it will work in that anclosure and it will be a good match both in sensativity and in appearance...

Other than that, I am gonna use veneer for the sides and make the baffle a tad thicker so I can better time allign the drivers.

Anyone have any thoughts or comments?

I love that design, however I can't seem to find the link where that was posted?

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"