X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ahaik
    • Feb 2007

Statement Monitos Finished.

Our last several month where kind of a roller coaster since we moved into our new house. It has been a three steps forward and then two steps backwards process, as things break and problems are discovered. So I needed something fun to work on (other then fixing termite damage, flood damage, etc, etc... :roll: ).
    So I decided to build the monitors for future use in my future HT setup.
    I wanted to try something new (for me), solid wood baffle.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Statements Monitors 009_s.JPG
Views:	1410
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	869965

Name:	Statements Monitors 010_s.JPG
Views:	1354
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	869966

Name:	Statements Monitors 014_s.JPG
Views:	1363
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	869967

Name:	Statements Monitors 017_s.JPG
Views:	1341
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	869968

Name:	Statements Monitors 019_s.JPG
Views:	1333
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	869969

Edit: Pictures taken at my brothers house, my house looks like a bomb exploaded in the middle of it.

I posted this on FroDaddy's build thread:
    "All the drivers are brand new and where broken in for about 15 hours on a music CD. Then I listened to them, they sounded good, but I felt something was terribly off. I hooked up the Statements and I was amazed at the difference, they sound completly different. Much softer sound more detailed, to my ears a night and day difference, like they where a completely different design using different drivers. I then pushed on the W4's cones very gently and the new one where so much stiffer, to the point that it was very easily detected.
    Then I changed the W4 in the monitors to the ones in the Statements and the 'MAGIC' happened and they sound great. I changed the ribbons after that which did not make a big difference if any. I always knew that speakers need to be broken in, but I did not think the difference it makes was so big. My question is (for Curt, I guess), when designing a crossover how do you take into account those changes? and how do you break in the drivers?"

Thanks again ,
    Asi.
    Last edited by theSven; 06 May 2023, 22:25 Saturday. Reason: Update image location
  • john trials
    • Mar 2009

Feet: yuck!

Speakers: Gorgeous!
    Statements: "They usually kill the desire to build anything else."

Comment

• Jim Holtz
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

Hi Asi,

Superb craftsmanship! As usual, I might add. :T

Let us know how long it takes to get the W4's broken in. I normally figure on about 20 hours but it sounds like yours still haven't settled down.

Great job!

Jim

Comment

• penngray
        • Sep 2007

Incredible speakers!!

What is the baffle wood, did you veneer? I love that look and would like to copy it!

Comment

• BigguyZ
          • Jan 2009

Those are some beautiful speakers, and some ugly feet...

Comment

• savage25xtreme
            • Dec 2008

Are you guys reading woman's clothing catalogs and listen to Statements barefoot? Must be a NY thing !
            Gavin

BAMTM Build

Comment

• BigguyZ
              • Jan 2009

That's a Corona ad I don't expect to see in the near future...

Comment

• impala454
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Oct 2007

Very nice job.
                -Chuck

Comment

• BeerParty
                  • Oct 2008

Nice speakers, and nice stands as well.

Any chance you could post a picture of the stands without the speakers on them? I would like to see how you designed it so the top of the stand and the bottom of the speaker align (so I can copy it, of course!).

I'll reserve comment on your feet until after you post pictures of the stands. :roll:
                  Chris

My Statement Monitors Build
                  My AviaTrix Build

Comment

• savage25xtreme
                    • Dec 2008

they were posted a while ago.. I drooled then too.... :drool:

DIY (Do it yourself): Cabinetry, speakers, subwoofers, crossovers, measurements. Jon and Thomas have probably designed and built as many speakers as any non-professionals. Who are we kidding? They are pros, they just don't do it for a living. This has got to be one of the most advanced places on the net to talk speaker building, period.
                    Last edited by theSven; 06 May 2023, 22:26 Saturday. Reason: Update htguide url
                    Gavin

BAMTM Build

Comment

• ahaik
                      • Feb 2007

Thanks for the kind words.
                      Hey... I thought that needs to be a traditional pic with the feet :

Originally posted by penngray
                      Incredible speakers!!

What is the baffle wood, did you veneer? I love that look and would like to copy it!
                      The veneer is flat cut cherry from tapease (the cheaper 10 mil paper back one), the baffle is solid wood, curly maple I purchased on Ebay backed with 1/4" MDF recessed. It was hard to find a wide enough piece that would be long enough for both speakers (I didn't want to join boards).
                      And I got to use my new (from craigslist, new in box) Delta Planer :B .
                      I copied the idea from Andy over at the PE board, his new Microbes are simply beautifull !!!

Originally posted by BeerParty

Any chance you could post a picture of the stands without the speakers on them? I would like to see how you designed it so the top of the stand and the bottom of the speaker align (so I can copy it, of course!).

I'll reserve comment on your feet until after you post pictures of the stands.
                      I wasn't planning on making those stands, I needed some temporary stands and planned to make them out of 2x4's and some plywood and they turned into these 8O the veneer is some scraps I had from an older project (D III's for my parents). They are just stands for general use, not just for the monitors. If I would have made them for the Monitors I would have used solid cherry. And I wouldn't recommend veneering those curves, just use solid wood.
                      I don't have any pictures of them. I will take some and post them when I get a chance.
                      Originally posted by savage25xtreme
                      Are you guys reading woman's clothing catalogs and listen to Statements barefoot? Must be a NY thing !
                      Ha, so you never tried that before? well you should :W
                      Originally posted by Jim Holtz
                      Hi Asi,

Superb craftsmanship! As usual, I might add.

Let us know how long it takes to get the W4's broken in. I normally figure on about 20 hours but it sounds like yours still haven't settled down.

Great job!

Jim
                      Thank you Jim

We had a 'Long Island Audio Syndrume' meeting and I demo'd them to the guys, so I put in the W4's and the Neo3's from my original Statements (they sounded teribble in the room there). I kept them because hopefully they will make it to my brothers father in law to get his impressions and I am curious to see how they will compare to his Dynaudio C4's, he has a real nice system, hejust purchased a new Esoteric CD player ($14K :roll: ). I had a chance to listen to his system at Easter for the first time and its pretty amazing. We also compared his old CD player (an expensive Mark Levinson) and the Esoteric was noticably cleaner.
                      I appologize for dragging you so long about taking the Statements there ops: , but it never happened. After I dragged them to my new house I decided that for their sake and my bad back I better not
                      Actually at my brothers house they sounded better then anything I have ever heared (other then his father in law, very close though). I guess his room is very good.

As usual you guys do an amazing job ;x(
                      Thank you again,
                      Asi.

Edit: if I had to guess about the break in time for the W4 it would be much more then 20 hours, I wonder what the guys that do measurements think?.

Comment

• penngray
                        • Sep 2007

The veneer is flat cut cherry from tapease (the cheaper 10 mil paper back one), the baffle is solid wood, curly maple I purchased on Ebay backed with 1/4" MDF recessed. It was hard to find a wide enough piece that would be long enough for both speakers (I didn't want to join boards).
                        And I got to use my new (from craigslist, new in box) Delta Planer .
                        I copied the idea from Andy over at the PE board, his new Microbes are simply beautifull !!!
                        Definitely beautiful, I have lots of Cherry veneer! Its the front baffle that really stands out. I will search for solid curly maple...might be hard to find but you did an incredible job.

I will also check out PE, I need all the help I can get when doing finishes.

Comment

• Face
                          • Mar 2007

Looks great!
                          SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• kingpin
                            • Jun 2006

Originally posted by ahaik
                            Thanks for the kind words.
                            Hey... I thought that needs to be a traditional pic with the feet :
                            Feet with socks yes!
                            Feet naked. :E :E

LOL

good job

Mike
                            Call me "MIKE"
                            "PROJECT OVERKILL" :B:B -WWMTMSS- :B:B
                            "PROJECT OVERKILL" is now the :B:B "mini-me's" :B:B
                            CLICK HERE TO SEE PROJECT OVERKILL
                            CLICK HERE TO SEE ALL MY BUILD PICS
                            "PROJECT OVERKILL" IS GOING UNDER THE KNIFE. :B :B "mini-me's :B :B !!
                            Dual sealed 18" Mach-5 ixl 18.4 subs

Comment

• FroDaddy
                              • Mar 2006

Nice job on the finish! They look great!

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Mar 2005

I appologize for dragging you so long about taking the Statements there ops: , but it never happened. After I dragged them to my new house I decided that for their sake and my bad back I better not
                                Hi Asi,

No worries. Life has a way of getting in the way of such things. Much more importantly you are settled in your new house and enjoying your Statements. :T

Jim

Comment

• ahaik
                                  • Feb 2007

Thanks everyone again.

Originally posted by penngray
                                  Definitely beautiful, I have lots of Cherry veneer! Its the front baffle that really stands out. I will search for solid curly maple...might be hard to find but you did an incredible job.

I will also check out PE, I need all the help I can get when doing finishes.
                                  It was a near disaster, that curly maple is not easy to work with. I trimmed the two baffles within 1/8" or less using the table saw and then mounted them on the boxes for final trimming with a flush trim bit. Both chipped on the side :M .
                                  I was able to find one of the chips right after but couldn't find the other. Luckily I found it the next day while cleanning the shop and was able to glue both chips on and after sanding you could hardly find them :dancenana:
                                  Next time I will buy a high quality trim bit.

Originally posted by Jim Holtz
                                  Hi Asi,

No worries. Life has a way of getting in the way of such things. Much more importantly you are settled in your new house and enjoying your Statements.

Jim
                                  I hope to take the monitors there soon.

Asi.

Comment

• BeerParty
                                    • Oct 2008

I wasn't planning on making those stands, I needed some temporary stands and planned to make them out of 2x4's and some plywood and they turned into these 8O the veneer is some scraps I had from an older project (D III's for my parents). They are just stands for general use, not just for the monitors. If I would have made them for the Monitors I would have used solid cherry. And I wouldn't recommend veneering those curves, just use solid wood.
                                    OK, now I am really jealous! :W

If I made temporary stands, I can assure you they would look it. Well done.

And thanks for the link savage25xtreme, the close ups were just what I needed.
                                    Chris

My AviaTrix Build

Comment

• Curt C
                                      • Feb 2005

My question is (for Curt, I guess), when designing a crossover how do you take into account those changes? and how do you break in the drivers?"
                                      Considering I did little to break in the drivers when we designed and voiced the monitors, I find your experience with your latest 1337 purchase disquieting, and I wonder if there may be some other explanation other than break in for these purportedly significant sonic differences. One would think that 15 hours should have been sufficient, although with only 3 mm of Xmax, little flexing of the spider will occur.

An impedance sweep of the offending drivers compared to a sample of your original drivers may be informative.

C
                                      Curt's Speaker Design Works

Comment

• ahaik
                                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Curt C
                                        Considering I did little to break in the drivers when we designed and voiced the monitors, I find your experience with your latest 1337 purchase disquieting, and I wonder if there may be some other explanation other than break in for these purportedly significant sonic differences. One would think that 15 hours should have been sufficient, although with only 3 mm of Xmax, little flexing of the spider will occur.

An impedance sweep of the offending drivers compared to a sample of your original drivers may be informative.

C
                                        Curt,
                                        I had them running for about 20 hours on a music CD, 12 hours at moderate volume and 8 at low (during the night).
                                        I don't have a way to measure the impedance right now and planning to take them to a friend tommorow, but after that I will change back to the new drivers and try to break them in some more.
                                        It would be interesting if you could measure the original W4's in Jim's Statements someday and compare the measurements to the original measurements.
                                        I was under the impression (my be a wrong one :huh: ) that drivers needs hundreds of ours of break in.
                                        Thank you for your reply,
                                        Asi.

Comment

• Curt C
                                          • Feb 2005

Asi,
                                          One can find opinions all over the map when it comes to driver break in. Anywhere from

‘They were broke in by the factory testing,’

‘They will break in in a few minutes of playing.,’

‘It will take hundreds of hours to fully break in.’

What we do ‘know’ is that with modern drivers the T/S parameters don’t generally don’t change much, and if they do, it doesn’t affect the choice of enclosure volume much if any. This suggests that whatever quality it is that changes in drivers with break in isn’t measured by T/S parameters. Of course, T/S doesn’t fully describe a driver’s behavior either, so certainly something could be changing, but what is is, is problematic at this juncture. I’ll admit I’ve heard what I thought were break in changes, but these were generally subtle, and I could just as easily be fooling myself as not… YMMV…

Your issue sounds too significant to be simple break in, but on the other hand, I can’t hear them from here either…

C
                                          Curt's Speaker Design Works

Comment

• DancesWithBeers
                                            • Dec 2008

Beautiful work, and this is what I get for taking months to build my cabinets - someone else implements nearly the same idea first.

I'm using curly maple for my baffles too, and it is indeed a pain to work with. I'm going to use a brand new bit for the round-overs, so hopefully I can avoid chipping.

-DWB

Comment

• ThomasW
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by john trials
                                              Feet: yuck!
                                              Originally posted by BigguyZ
                                              Those are some beautiful speakers, and some ugly feet...
                                              I'll reserve comment on your feet until after you post pictures of the stands. :roll:
                                              N00bs to the forum should understand foot shots (usually with socks) are a long standing tradition here to signify kicking back and enjoying a project when it's finished...

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• ahaik
                                                • Feb 2007

Not sure if still needed, I'm posting some close up pics I took last night and a pic of the template.
                                                To align them simply start with a rectangle piece and curve the sides.

Asi.

Name:	Statement Mon and Stands 014_small.JPG
Views:	246
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	853121

Name:	Statement Mon and Stands 015_small.JPG
Views:	235
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	853122

Name:	Statement Mon and Stands 016_small.JPG
Views:	240
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	853123

Name:	Statement Mon and Stands 017_small.JPG
Views:	232
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	853124
                                                Last edited by theSven; 06 May 2023, 22:28 Saturday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• BeerParty
                                                  • Oct 2008

Not sure if still needed, I'm posting some close up pics I took last night and a pic of the template.
                                                  Excellent - just what I was looking for. Thanks Asi!
                                                  Chris

My AviaTrix Build

Comment

• savage25xtreme
                                                    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by ThomasW
                                                    N00bs to the forum should understand foot shots (usually with socks) are a long standing tradition here to signify kicking back and enjoying a project when it's finished...
                                                    There is the key....
                                                    Gavin

BAMTM Build

Comment

• johnathanwinter
                                                      • Mar 2009

Originally posted by ThomasW
                                                      I guess they dont make it to the beach much. :lol:

Comment

• ahaik
                                                        • Feb 2007

Ok ok.... Is this better?

Name:	Statements Monitors_socks.JPG
Views:	802
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	853126
                                                        Last edited by theSven; 06 May 2023, 22:27 Saturday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                          • Mar 2005

I like it! :rofl:

Jim

Comment

• jyqureshi
                                                            • Mar 2009

Looks like you took your human layer off of your feet :roflmao:

Comment

• savage25xtreme
                                                              • Dec 2008

that's awesome, much better :yeah:
                                                              Gavin

BAMTM Build

Comment

• tomdro
                                                                • Jan 2009

Asi,
                                                                Your speakers are truly beautiful. What did you use for the outstanding finish?

Comment

• ahaik
                                                                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by tomdro
                                                                  Asi,
                                                                  Your speakers are truly beautiful. What did you use for the outstanding finish?
                                                                  I appreciate it, but the finish is merely avarage in quaity. I put 3 layers of Danish oil and didn't like to contrast between the maple and the cherry, it's just hard to see it on small test pieces, so I put one coat of Old Dad's 'New Mahogany" stain and finished with several layers of his wipe on poly.
                                                                  I suggest you do some research on the finish since my way was more of an experiment, not sure if it's the right way.
                                                                  HTH,
                                                                  Asi.

Comment

Working...
                                                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                  Search Result for "|||"