Updated Bordeaux crossover now available...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jim Holtz
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Updated Bordeaux crossover now available...

Just a heads up that between Curt and Efalegalo they have come up with a modification to the original crossover that works better with the new production AST2560's currently shipping. Meniscus has also committed to testing every AST2560 driver ordered to assure the correct crossover parts are included with the parts kit.

This should help existing and future Bordeaux builders hear them as designed.

Enjoy the music!

Jim

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_79595.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	872345
  • Mikerodrig27
    • Feb 2015

Awesome, thank you for posting this. and thank you Efalegalo for the 60ish hours you put into redesigning these.

Comment

• Efalegalo
      • Jan 2007

All,

Just wanted to update that I had a listening get-together with few members of the DCAudiotDiy community to solicit feedback on the speakers this past weekend.

One of the attendees was Tom Perazella - who has been and once again will be a judge at the Midwest Audio Fest organized by Parts Express.

Also in attendance was David Berning of Bering Amplifiers (some of his amplifiers sell for $100K+).

I also had others in attendance that may not DIY themselves, but have owned several high-end systems over the years.

Across the board, everyone really enjoyed the speaker. Tom felt the speakers are truly outstanding. All agreed that the Accuton Mid and The AC Tweeter was a winning combination.

The only negative feedback I received was that they felt the low-low-low bass (saying 20hz - 45hz or so) was a bit muddy. I think this was the direct result of me tuning the enclosure a little higher. In my bass cabinet, I had removed the inner tube between the two flares (contrary to Jim & Curt's recommendation).

Pretty much everyone preferred the speakers with the lower turning as originally designed by Jim, or with the port plugged. They suggested to keep the original tuning (or plug the port), and if I felt like I was missing some bass, that I should instead consider adding a sub.

Thanks again Jim & Curt for an outstanding design.

Comment

• Jim Holtz
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Efalegalo
        All,

Just wanted to update that I had a listening get-together with few members of the DCAudiotDiy community to solicit feedback on the speakers this past weekend.

One of the attendees was Tom Perazella - who has been and once again will be a judge at the Midwest Audio Fest organized by Parts Express.

Also in attendance was David Berning of Bering Amplifiers (some of his amplifiers sell for $100K+).

I also had others in attendance that may not DIY themselves, but have owned several high-end systems over the years.

Across the board, everyone really enjoyed the speaker. Tom truly felt the speakers are outstanding. All agreed that the Accuton Mid and The AC Tweeter was a winning combination.

The only negative feedback I received was that they felt the low-low-low bass (saying 20hz - 45hz or so) was a bit muddy. I think this was the direct result of me tuning the enclosure a little higher. In my bass cabinet, I had removed the inner tube between the two flares (contrary to Jim & Curt's recommendation).

Pretty much everyone preferred the speakers with the lower turning as originally designed by Jim, or with the port plugged. They suggested to keep the original tuning (or plug the port), and if I felt like I was missing some bass, that I should instead consider adding a sub.

Thanks again Jim & Curt for an outstanding design.
        Excellent feedback! :T

I'm really pleased they were warmly received by your group and particularly by the industry professionals in the listening audience. Since you had a hand in the crossover rework, you should also give yourself a pat on the back!

Enjoy the music!

Jim

Comment

• Efalegalo
          • Jan 2007

Thanks, Jim. I should have left the original tuning. I think when I was listening in mono and taking measurements, I had placed the speaker away from all boundaries - and thus, to me, the speaker sounded a bit bass shy. But when I was done building both enclosures and placed the speaker within a reasonably (typical) distance from the wall, the tuning I had selected left a bit of an unnatural bloom in the low frequencies. Once we decreased the tuning (or plugged the port) - everyone was far more pleased with the speakers bass performance.

I don't like using adjectives like "lush" and "airy" and etc. etc. to describe sound, and others in attendance agreed to not describe the speakers as such.

The test was a simple 3-4 hour listening session where attendees could listen to tracks they are most familiar with in a near and far-field setting.

If nothing else - everyone unanimously agreed that the speakers were very neutral when measured against their own perception on how certain tracks should sound. This to me was a great compliment.

Some added that the speakers have wonderful clarity, making them somewhat less forgiving on poor recordings.

Comment

• sfdoddsy
            • Sep 2000

I’m not quite sure if this the right thread to revive, but I’m curious about what was actually done (electrically and acoustically) with the revised crossover.

I ask because, whilst normally an active guy, I am currently fiddling with a passive crossover for my open baffles. As part of that I bought a pair of AST2560s to potentially replace my BG Neo3s.

The issue was that the new tweeter rolled off too soon, creating the dip.

Does the new crossover flatten the tweeter response above the crossover (presumably at the cost of sensitivity), boost the response around the crossover, or fiddle with the response of the Accuton?
            Steve's OB Journey

Comment

• Jim Holtz
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by sfdoddsy
              I’m not quite sure if this the right thread to revive, but I’m curious about what was actually done (electrically and acoustically) with the revised crossover.

I ask because, whilst normally an active guy, I am currently fiddling with a passive crossover for my open baffles. As part of that I bought a pair of AST2560s to potentially replace my BG Neo3s.

The issue was that the new tweeter rolled off too soon, creating the dip.

Does the new crossover flatten the tweeter response above the crossover (presumably at the cost of sensitivity), boost the response around the crossover, or fiddle with the response of the Accuton?
              Hi Steve,

Curt can certainly answer your question. Sorry, I can not.

Jim

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"