X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • soundemon
    • May 2009

Bordeaux vs Statement 2 build

Hi All
    Someone please give me some advice please - I'm planning a build for this spring / summer, and its going to be either the bordeaux or the statement 2, full LCR.

In the past I built a Full size statement LCR. i enjoyed the build and loved the speakers. quite honestly, they were the best I'd ever heard including DIY and retail, (including the big B&W 802s, paradigm sig 8, and PMC PB1) with one exception, a pair of JAS audio Plato I heard in a showroom, powered by I cant even remember, something on par with the value of these.

My room is a fair amount more narrow than my last one, only 11' wide by about 30 ft long.

points in favour of the Statement 2 is I'm already familiar with the build, and I already know I love the sound, particularly the sparkling high end from the ribbon tweeter. Less expensive than the bordeaux. Center matches! (I have a hard time with a center that does'nt match visually, even if it does, for the most part, sonically)

Points in favour of the Bordeaux, its a smaller overall size, the statements are very large and tall. It's got that accuton mid range. I've been itching to build something with an accuton mid.

So i start wondering:
    how difficult it it to fit the non-round tweeter into the baffle?
    How close sonically is the tweeter in the bordeaux to the statement? (I've read its very close)
    What if I built a 3rd bordeax, placed the bass bin on its side and the mid tweeter portion on top for a center? I cant figure out whether this would look super weird or really awesome. would this be a bad idea sonically?

Any advice or words of wisdom or encouragement is greatly appreciated! Power is a Krell KAV250/3. Control is an anthem AVR1120. I'm about 60/40 movies vs music, but when i listen to music its typically 2 channel full range w/o sub
    DIY - once you start down that (dark) path, forever will it dominate your destiny!
  • Mikerodrig27
    • Feb 2015

Hi, I build the Bordeaux and love them. Like you said, They are the best I have ever heard maybe being on the same level as some B&W 802 D3's. Those had some advantages like a better room, very expensive amps, preamp sources etc.

I haven't heard the Statement II's but wanted to mention the Travelers. They are a smaller but really nice design. If you want sound on a similar level as the Bordeaux but at a lower price, the Travelers are a great choice. The one compromise is that there is only one RS225 vs two but if your focus is 85-95db music listening, they should be spectacular. They have the SB acoustics ceramic driver which is a very good driver for the price.

Jim seems to hold the Statement II's in very high regard. A ton of other people do as well. From what I have read, I would suggest something like the Bordeaux and Travelers for the discerning audiophile who is using them for something like 2-channel. The Anthologies are supposed to be terrific speakers for HT if that is your main focus. Regular Statements are great for HT, Statement II's are great for loud 2-channel, Bordeaux are even better for loud 2-channel... I guess the big thing to consider is how much music/HT you plan to do and what is important to you. Also, what are your sources, components etc.

I think the top cabinet being properly placed on the bottom cabinet is critical to their integration with one another. At least you cannot separate the top cabinet on a separate stand or something.

Regarding the tweeter, I made a jig and used a router to but out the recess for my speaker build. You can build the jig using the tweeter as a template. I made my template by using the tweeter plus a couple index cards for spacing. Even just a hole cut into a piece of plywood would work as a template. I used a follower bit with the bearing on top. You can test the jig on some scrap wood. When I used the jig on my baffle fronts, I used a pin nailer to keep it from moving on me. Double sided tape, clamps etc work great.

Comment

• soundemon
      • May 2009

I think I'm going to go with the Bordeaux build, with the statement 2 center. I'm getting some weird notices from meniscus when i go to their site to order, at one point I couldn't select the statement 2 center, "not available" and now even though I can add both items to my cart, it says "available: at a future date". it sounds like components of the kit are unavailable but they aren't making it quite clear.
      I've used the contact us feature several times to ask about this and they never get back to me. Anyone else have trouble with Meniscus?
      DIY - once you start down that (dark) path, forever will it dominate your destiny!

Comment

• Mikerodrig27
        • Feb 2015

Meniscus is a teriffic company. At least in my experience. Very accomodating. I would try giving them a phone call.

There is also speaker hardware which i have also had great experience with.

The nice thing about meniscus is they test the tweeter for the bordeaux and send the appropriate crossover components.

Comment

• rick844
          • Jun 2019

Anthologys should also be a consideration. I love mine.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"