Home Theater Build with: Statement 2 Center, Micro Statement Surrounds and Bordeaux

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jesteele79
    • Mar 2018

Home Theater Build with: Statement 2 Center, Micro Statement Surrounds and Bordeaux

Hello All,

I have read a number of build threads and it inspired me to take the plunge and see if I could build out a home theater room that could also play great sounding music of all styles. I am appreciative of the many email responses I have gotten from both Jim Holtz and Curt Campbell. I should add the guys at Meniscus Audio have also been very patient with my questions!

My basement setup was as follows:

Marantz 7011 Receiver
    Subwoofer from Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 computer speakers used as a center channel
    Desktop speakers from Klipsch Promedia used as rear surrounds
    Technics Sb-LX7 3 way speakers I got in high school as L/R channel. I added dowel braces inside and 3/4" ply to the back of the speaker to try and deaden these a bit better than the 1/2" particular they are built with.
    I also have Dayton audio SAT-BK speakers I am using as "mid ATMOS" height speakers

Just so you know where I came from....

Anyway, I decided to start with the Statement 2 center for cost reasons. Ill post photos and try to keep them in chronological order. Since the center is finished ill list the key points or any stuff i "learned":
    -Courtesy of some other center builds, the box went together pretty easily. The biggest frustration is that I didn't have enough clamps. I have made a point to buy a clamp or two now each time I go to Menards, Home Depot etc.
    -The kit from Meniscus really made things fun and relatively simple. Everything was just as it was described on the delivery sheets and I opted for the pre-assembled crossovers and they arrived beautifully done. Soldering the provided wires was easy thanks to the labelled crossovers
    -I purchased the Jasper cutting guide which made things surprisingly pain free on the routing. I did have to stop and do some math and check my depth for the recesses a few times. I have to say, I probably rushed just a bit and made my recesses too deep. I plan on adding some gasket tape behind the drivers later to make it perfectly flush with veneer. I also have to mention that my last speaker cutout was for the tweeter and I forgot to subtract the difference in bit size since the Jasper jig references a 1/4" bit as has been well documented on this forum. This left a gap around my tweeter which I painfully filled with small leftover MDF and then sanded down and used wood filler to make smooth. Additionally I was just a hair small on my woofer cutouts so they were very tight. I used a file to gradually open these up.
    -Lastly, I finished the cabinet with Walnut veneer sourced on Amazon. It had 3M adhesive but I augmented with wood glue. I used Tung Oil Finish (5 coats) and sanded the last 2 coats with 600 grit. I also used 2x Flat Black paint for the back baffle with tung oil finish on that as well.

Overall I am extremely pleased with how it came out. There are some imperfections but not glaring and I learned what to do for the next build. Most importantly, the sound is fantastic. I know almost anything would be better than what I had as a center but I am floored by the detail I am hearing and can't wait to round out the system.

I have already cut the wood for the Micro Statements and Bordeaux. I am waiting on delivery of the Micro Statements currently but its going to be a while before I can afford the Bordeaux kit so stay tuned!...

Click image for larger version

Name:	yEHjJU3eTWuYhoIMs3tNIA.jpg
Views:	1449
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	872263

Name:	TqtHU+2nSbeXj5whjwuNSw.jpg
Views:	577
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	872264

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1267.jpg
Views:	590
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	872265

Name:	fullsizeoutput_12f4.jpg
Views:	580
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	872266

Name:	fullsizeoutput_125a.jpg
Views:	589
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	872267
    Last edited by theSven; 15 April 2023, 05:16 Saturday. Reason: Update image location
  • jesteele79
    • Mar 2018

Trying to fix my errors...

Name:	fullsizeoutput_124b.jpg
Views:	562
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	863517

Name:	fullsizeoutput_126e.jpg
Views:	586
Size:	142.6 KB
ID:	863518

Name:	ZaWHyS+ZSZe6CvZm+MU0Qg.jpg
Views:	558
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	863519

Name:	hanmtBlDT+2hkTbC29Oijw.jpg
Views:	562
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	863520

Name:	pPC3e4ABTnOeVmx9PlCxkA.jpg
Views:	585
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	863521
    Last edited by theSven; 15 April 2023, 05:17 Saturday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• jesteele79
      • Mar 2018

The Finished Product...By the way, I have no idea why some of these images are rotated if I am missing something when uploading please advise...

Click image for larger version  Name:	7TS4uii3STexx9CeJoEiGw.jpg Views:	464 Size:	93.1 KB ID:	863522

Click image for larger version  Name:	qLX6bg57SyOYz8rTcs848g.jpg Views:	462 Size:	57.2 KB ID:	863523

Name:	bCbeWbrwTOGOb123tY2Zdg.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	172.4 KB
ID:	933241
      Last edited by theSven; 15 April 2023, 05:19 Saturday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• TEK
        Super Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

Thanks for sharing. That's a very nice build!

As you now have experienced, there is truth in the old saying "you can never have to many clamps"
        Nice job correcting the cutout problems. A good woodworker is not recognized by the mistakes he does not make, but how he corrects the one he does make!
        The next time you may want to try to cut some really thin stripes (1-2 mm) of MDF and just glue it I onto the cutout in several layers until the hole has the right diameter.
        You may also use strips of veneer.
        -TEK

Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and discouraged men who kept on working...

Comment

• jesteele79
          • Mar 2018

TEK, Great Idea!! I tried bendind the MDF I had and it snapped into smaller pieces so I just used it and sanded, but cutting the smaller strips or veneer would be great. Hopefully I won't make the same mistake but Ill know what to try next time.

Thanks! I love this forum.

Comment

• jesteele79
            • Mar 2018

Cuts made for Micro Statements and Bordeaux

FYI still don't know why images rotate but you can see the cutout boards. Good table saw and mitre saw are invaluable!

Name:	f4ppsIXJTLyBMJkOgu41cw.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	175.9 KB
ID:	933242

Name:	uXNUDJ7kSB+ULzIQX92uNg.jpg
Views:	556
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	863526
            Last edited by theSven; 15 April 2023, 05:20 Saturday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Jim Holtz
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

Everything looks great Jon! I'm glad you're enjoying the center. :T

Jim

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"