Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Daryl Furkalo
    • Feb 2002

IB Sub with Build Volume in Utility Closet

Hi guys, been a long time since I posted here. I am moving very soon, and I have a chance to put an IB sub into a utility room. The utility room contains hot water tank, gas furnace and HRV. Would putting an IB in there with four 15" adire tempests be a good idea? I have some old drivers lying around.
  • BobEllis
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2005

I loved my IB subs when I had them. I think the rule of thumb is the rear volume needs to be somewhere around 10 x VAS or more to behave as IB. Mine were a little tight, but still better behaved than any reasonably sized box. So, if the utility room is big enough, go for it. Even if you've only got the room for two in IB possibly augmented with box subs do it. I just wish I lived where it was possible to have an IB sub.

Comment

• Daryl Furkalo
      • Feb 2002

The room is 10' x 10' x 8', so I think I have enough volume at 800 cubic feet.

Comment

• BobEllis
        Super Senior Member
        • Dec 2005

Enjoy - it's amazing.

Comment

• kevinm
          • Jun 2013

I have (4) 18s in my floor under my couch in an IB setup, it's simply violent. I love it. We don't even really turn them up that loud, but it's pretty incredible. We were watching a movie the other day where the inaudible low frequency effects were causing a very subtle vibration/rumble (I believe it was a scene with a train). Felt like the couch was on the train. It was crazy.

Anyways, definitely do it! We are flat to 5hz and it's simply unworldly.

Comment

• cjd
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Dec 2004

I'm running two (front wall with 4x15 and rear riser with 2x15) and am only pushing flat to 16Hz, but even at only ~5x VAS it does what it should... it's just there subtly, articulate and beautifully blended and not obvious and then BOOM the room shakes and you jump and... back to the simple sound. As long as the location is workable, I think you'll do fine. I could go lower if I went less flat and spent a bit more time tuning the EQ (there IS a null that's getting a little more power to it than it probably should...)

I tore out a (horrible and dangerous) ventless gas fireplace in the front wall, and the fireplace bump-out is the box volumethere (slightly widened so I could put a 115" wide screen on the wall.) Use what you have.

C
            diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• PMazz
              • May 2001

Bass may travel thru a hot air system's duct work. If you're trying to isolate the bass from the rest of the house it may not be a good idea. If you have an existing sub you could try it first.
              Birth of a Media Center

Comment

• blue934
                • Mar 2008

Originally posted by kevinm
                I have (4) 18s in my floor under my couch in an IB setup, it's simply violent. I love it. We don't even really turn them up that loud, but it's pretty incredible. We were watching a movie the other day where the inaudible low frequency effects were causing a very subtle vibration/rumble (I believe it was a scene with a train). Felt like the couch was on the train. It was crazy.

Anyways, definitely do it! We are flat to 5hz and it's simply unworldly.
                kevinm, would you have any pics or a build log of that? It sounds very interesting. Are they up-facing or what? I might build a raised platform for a friends couch/HT room so looking for ideas.
                David

Comment

• blue934
                  • Mar 2008

Originally posted by PMazz
                  Bass may travel thru a hot air system's duct work. If you're trying to isolate the bass from the rest of the house it may not be a good idea. If you have an existing sub you could try it first.
                  Good point. I was wondering if having a furnace behind the sub would cause rattles. Lot's of flat tin panels on a furnace/plenum that might get excited with low frequencies but I've not built an IB so I have NO idea how much backwave they produce.

Comment

• blue934
                    • Mar 2008

Originally posted by cjd
                    I'm running two (front wall with 4x15 and rear riser with 2x15) and am only pushing flat to 16Hz, but even at only ~5x VAS it does what it should... it's just there subtly, articulate and beautifully blended and not obvious and then BOOM the room shakes and you jump and... back to the simple sound. As long as the location is workable, I think you'll do fine. I could go lower if I went less flat and spent a bit more time tuning the EQ (there IS a null that's getting a little more power to it than it probably should...)

I tore out a (horrible and dangerous) ventless gas fireplace in the front wall, and the fireplace bump-out is the box volumethere (slightly widened so I could put a 115" wide screen on the wall.) Use what you have.

C
                    How are the woofers positioned on your riser cjd? Up? Front?

Comment

• cjd
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Dec 2004

Originally posted by blue934
                      How are the woofers positioned on your riser cjd? Up? Front?

More about the whole project here: http://www.divine-audio.com/home-theater-mkii/

I really need to add some updates, I have most of the walls treated now, and will be working on some cabinetry and finishing trim soon too.
                      diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• kevinm
                        • Jun 2013

Sure thing. Here you go.

DIY (Do it yourself): Cabinetry, speakers, subwoofers, crossovers, measurements. Jon and Thomas have probably designed and built as many speakers as any non-professionals. Who are we kidding? They are pros, they just don't do it for a living. This has got to be one of the most advanced places on the net to talk speaker building, period.
                        Last edited by theSven; 30 April 2023, 18:28 Sunday. Reason: Update htguide url

Comment

• blue934
                          • Mar 2008

THAT'S some crazy cool stuff right there! Thanks guys! Lot's to think about now.
                          David

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"