X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AwArEnEsS
    • Nov 2009

Subwoofer volume level and receiver volume level : A sub newbie question

This will be my first sub and I have a question: Is there a volume knob on subwoofers?If yes, while changing volume levels of a/v receiver and subwoofer, how can I know if the subwoofer can handle that level? Or is increasing receiver's volume level does not affect subwoofer's toleration?
    The universe arises from definitionless awareness.
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Most subs have a volume knob. Best to use some sort of SPL meter to set your volume, but if you don't have one, you can try something like 1/3 to 1/2 on the sub volume setting and then run the test tones on the receiver. If it's a recent model, it will set levels for each channel, including the sub, automatically. After that, you can use a measurement device (best practice) or your ears (better than nothing) to set sub volume to taste (either with the volume knob on the sub or with the level trim settings in the AVR). Many people like to run their subs a bit "hot" (several dB above the automatic setting on the AVR). As long as your sub volume knob is set to 1/2 or lower, I doubt you would damage it with your AVR settings--unless you plan to listen to your movies at near full volume on your AVR (something to be strongly discouraged if you wish to A) not damage your hearing and B) prevent your gear from dying).

Comment

• AwArEnEsS
      • Nov 2009

Thanks for your answer.

Comment

• madmac
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2010

I agree with Ovation on this one. Set your sub's volume to 1/2 , walk away, and use your AVR to do final adjustments to the sub's volume. As well, most phone's now have SPL apps that you can use to set volume levels, both with the main speakers and the sub.

I personally find it better to adjust the sub by ear and while listening to music (Preferably something simple like jazz). The sub should blend in with your mains (Not dominate) and compliment them by providing nice, low end bass. Also, unless you have a specific reason to do otherwise....... via the AVR, set all your speakers to 'small' and use the THX benchmark and set your sub crossover to 80hz. Normally, this crossover is set via the AVR. This will free up piles of power for your AVR to perform it's best.
        Dan Madden :T

Comment

• AwArEnEsS
          • Nov 2009

Thanks for your answer.

I bought a subwoofer a few days ago,and I left master level on subwoofer at 0(I think it is what you call "1/2").Then I set the ch level of subwoofer to +2db on receiver.X.over frequency(crossover?)setting on receiver is set to 80hz.

My problem is,the metal part of subwoofer which has master level,crossover freq,phase etc. quickly gets hot.Just 10 minutes of listening to songs make that metal part warm and after about 1 hour,that metal part gets very hot,sometimes even it's hard to touch it.I hope I don't have to lower the settings (master level and ch level) because it can much lower the impact of subwoofer.
          Last edited by AwArEnEsS; 25 April 2015, 15:59 Saturday.

Comment

• madmac
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2010

Originally posted by AwArEnEsS
            Thanks for your answer.

I bought a subwoofer a few days ago,and I left master level on subwoofer at 0(I think it is what you call "1/2").Then I set the ch level of subwoofer to +2db on receiver.X.over frequency(crossover?)setting on receiver is set to 80hz.

My problem is,the metal part of subwoofer which has master level,crossover freq,phase etc. quickly gets hot.Just 10 minutes of listening to songs make that metal part warm and after about 1 hour,that metal part gets very hot,sometimes even it's hard to touch it.I hope I don't have to lower the settings (master level and ch level) because it can much lower the impact of subwoofer.
            The fact that the metal amp section of the sub gets that hot (too hot to touch!) is concerning. Two quick questions:

1. Are you sending the low frequency signal to the sub using an RCA patch cord from the AVR ?

2. Do you have the crossover setting on the sub set to 'Bypass' or 'Off' ? This is important since the AVR is doing the low frequency crossover work and only sending 80hz and lower signals to the sub.
            Dan Madden :T

Comment

• Ovation
              Super Senior Member
              • Sep 2004

The 0 setting may represent full volume on some subs. Double check on yours. Some amps run hot. Is the sound distorted? Also, best to lower the sub's output and raise the level settings on the AVR, rather than the reverse.

Comment

• AwArEnEsS
                • Nov 2009

Thanks for your answers.

madmac wrote:
                The fact that the metal amp section of the sub gets that hot (too hot to touch!) is concerning. Two quick questions:

1. Are you sending the low frequency signal to the sub using an RCA patch cord from the AVR ?
                I use subwoofer preout connector(RCA mono) of the receiver.

2. Do you have the crossover setting on the sub set to 'Bypass' or 'Off' ? This is important since the AVR is doing the low frequency crossover work and only sending 80hz and lower signals to the sub.
                Yes,it is set to off.

Ovation wrote:
                The 0 setting may represent full volume on some subs. Double check on yours. Some amps run hot. Is the sound distorted? .
                I think 0 setting on my sub doesn't mean max level,it's in the middle,in the middle between min and max.
                The sound is never distorted.

Also, best to lower the sub's output and raise the level settings on the AVR, rather than the reverse.
                Thanks for recommendation.I never increase the sub's master level more than "0".

Also today I noticed that,metal knobs on the metal part of sub's amplifier gets too hot,more than that metal part itself.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"