X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kevinm
    • Jun 2013

Sometimes crazy ideas make the best possible ideas

There's not enough subwoofer love right now, so I present you my crazy IB install.

Not sure if many remember, but a few months ago I mentioned I was exploring using some 18s in an IB setup. I wasn't looking for more SPL, but I did want to dig deeper. I wanted to shake things not worth SPL, but with actual moving mass. I want to dig deep without going louder.

I'd been exploring an IB setup for a year or so, but I was just dreaming. Fast forward a few months and Stereo Integrity was having a close out sale on their HT18 line - not exactly the perfect fit for IB, but for that price I couldn't say no. Fast forward another 5 months of waiting, and here we are!

So originally I was planning on two separate manifolds in the floor (thank goodness for crawl spaces) each loaded with (2) HT18s. But after exploring more options and doing some measures with a sub crawl, I wasn't that impressed with the responses. Additionally, the work of 2 boxes + 2 holes in the floor was exponentially harder than one. So I ended up going with one giant box housing all (4) drivers directly underneath the couch. My measurements showed it being a fairly decent natural room response with a big SPL boost due to proximity. Location in the room below (look for the red box).

Click image for larger version

Name:	KluVgE1.jpg?1.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	933718

Enough already, let's get onto the install

So nothing crazy about the box design. Inner layer is the width between joists I had to work with. Outer layer is an added layer of 3/4 BB ply. These 18s barely fit that. Will post the CAD drawing soon.

Quick glue-up shot

Name:	hBTTgZ4h.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	192.1 KB
ID:	933720

Added support in the middle of the box during assembly - had to get creative

Name:	VGAMYuUh.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	933719

After I routed out the holes, painted and installed (partial at this point)

Name:	vzIPWf6h.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	178.1 KB
ID:	933721

Drivers installed

Name:	5S9DXggh.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	166.0 KB
ID:	933722

Only a manifold in the room (directly below the couch)

Name:	cKOxSFNh.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	217.9 KB
ID:	933723

So how is it

I've been playing with it for almost a week. It's legitimately hard to describe. It's absolutely savage

I'll get another set of posts up with measurements soon. Working through the final structural reinforcement at the moment. As soon as that is done, I will post my walk through of raw data, tuning and integration. But I can tell you early measurements show -/+ 3db all the way down to 5hz

Quick video of the intro to Edge of Tomorrow (if your PC has subs, I recommend turning them down).
    Last edited by theSven; 30 April 2023, 18:29 Sunday. Reason: Update image location
  • kevinm
    • Jun 2013

Early measurements are in. I plan to do a full walkthrough of my EQing adventures, but I am going to post on that below. I'll come back and update accordingly.

Here were the 3 main listening areas (each part of big couch) averaged (without any EQ).

Name:	s5mjccW.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	933724

After applying EQ to the averaged response, I was able to tame it a lot

Name:	Fx68eJU.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	933725

I played around with getting it completely flat by really EQing it, but I found this to be a nice balance. The flatter to 5hz I got it, the more I was concerned for my house. This seemed to be the best balance - stuff below 20hz is still absolutely frightening, but it doesn't break anything. At one point, I pushed the system pretty hard and it moved my couch.
    Last edited by theSven; 30 April 2023, 18:30 Sunday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• dar47
      • Nov 2008

Nice Kev, I think after you get over that sub sonic stuff you will probably stick to something above 15 Hrz. Keep your hand on the remote if there is any windows in that space cause you can do damage. I blew the plug for the TV out of the wall once when demoing mine. Friend laughed and said you broke your stuf. I showed him the plug and the look on his face was priceless. What amp are you running?

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

That is hilarious Kevin- your manifold is more air than anything else, and the drivers themselves have to be major structural members!

Tell me, do you have a good idea of the hanging weight of the manifold plus drivers? (Though I'm sure the drivers must dominate... )

It's a wonder you haven't blown your ventilation grille in the floor off yet!

I'm also curious what you're running for power...
        the AudioWorx
        Natalie P
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
        Obi-Wan
        Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• ---k---
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Nov 2005

Very cool. I'm jealous. I would love to experience a demo. I'm sure it is beyond impressive.
          - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
          CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
          CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• kevinm
            • Jun 2013

Originally posted by dar47
            Nice Kev, I think after you get over that sub sonic stuff you will probably stick to something above 15 Hrz.
            Hehe, we shall see. I really like the ultra low stuff, I love the tension it builds.

Originally posted by JonMarsh
            Tell me, do you have a good idea of the hanging weight of the manifold plus drivers? (Though I'm sure the drivers must dominate...)
            Quick and dirty math puts it at around 265 lbs. It's a beast for sure. The really cool part - since the drivers are all opposed, there is no box movement. When you rest your hand against the box at high excursion, it's dead. Awesome!

Originally posted by ---k---
            Very cool. I'm jealous. I would love to experience a demo. I'm sure it is beyond impressive.
            It's truly wicked. Since they're directly underneath the couch, it feels like I have massive couch shakers.

Comment

• kevinm
              • Jun 2013

Amp Power

I am currently powering them with an iNuke 6000DSP - 2 drivers per channel for a 4ohm load. RMS output has been tested to around 1.8KW per channel at 4ohm. I currently have the limiter set at about 1.2kw per channel - but I have yet to get the amp to show more than one light. So definitely running them hard. It's great to have the headroom for EQ.

Comment

• kevinm
                • Jun 2013

Added my quick measurements above.

Comment

• dar47
                  • Nov 2008

That's an easy eq. have you measure all around the room to see any modes?

Comment

• wkhanna
                    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2006

+1 raised to the power of 10k!
                    have not had a 'man's' project like this for a while around here.

well done, & done well, Kevin....:T
                    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"