M&K Sub with Rotel 1052 - Not much bass?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Club1820
    • Jan 2006

M&K Sub with Rotel 1052 - Not much bass?

Hello everyone. Would appreciate some help. I recently purchased a M&K Sub VX-860SF 250 Watts used on Audiogon. The sub was originally purchased in Nov 05' so its pretty much new. I looks beautiful (Cherry Veneer) and does in fact look brand new. I hooked it up last night to my 1052 and was underwhelmed!

I was very excited and was expecting to be overwhelmed. I currently have a cheapie subwoofer in my living room. An Audiosource 200 watt sub that is more than 10 years old! It still works though and gives out a lot of bass considering. I am actually going to use the M&K in my home theatre in the basement with the 1068 & 1095.

Anyway, I hooked up the M&K and turned on my Rotel 1052 Stereo Receiver. I first turned on the radio and raised the volume only to about 25. Did this at night so I couldn’t turn it up that much. Just for reference, usual listening level of the receiver is about 40 with 60-70 on the volume being POUNDING. So I turned everything on and my first reaction was "where is the bass"? So I checked to make sure the auto on was on and it was. I turned up the volume and the sub didn’t turn on until the volume was about at 35. My Audiosource kicks in around 25.

At this level, the bass sounded very weak so I made sure everything was set correctly on the back of the M&K. I had the phase set to the middle, the crossover at 80 (just like my audiosource), and the volume on the sub turned up half way. Still, the bass was very weak. I actually took the grille off and could barely feel the cone moving.

Then I tried a Sade CD which I use when setting up my Sub due to the heavy bass line. Just from my recollection, the M&K was not producing the bass I was expecting and used to with my Audiosource sub.

At this point I was a little discouraged but thought I must have something hooked up wrong. I figured I would check everything out the next morning when I could see better and also be able to crank it up a bit.

Well, this morning I double checked all the connections and all the settings on the back of the M&K sub. Everything looked fine. So I once again proceeded to try the sub out. Again, I was under whelmed with the output. I cranked the volume up to 70 and still was not getting the bass I was expecting from a M&K sub @ 250 watts! Normally at this level, I can not really listen as my Audiosource is shaking the walls and my hardwood floor! It actually does the Ickey Shuffle across the floor at this level!

At a loss, I again checked everything. Nope, everything is hooked up correctly. So I decided to do an A/B test with my Audiosource. Since the 1052 does not have a sub out, I only can hook up the sub via speaker level. But this allowed me to have both subs hooked up simultaneously to do my A/B test.

My listening tests with the M&K sub were confirmed! It was not putting out the bass anywhere near my Audiosource. Again, the Audiosource is 200 watts, 50 watts less than the M&K. I even compared the subs with the other speakers disconnected so that I would only be hearing the LFE frequencies sent to both subs. The Audiosource was easily twice as loud as the M&K. This was even with the Audiosource set at less than half its volume. I had the M&K volume set to halfway. I even set the M&K volume level all the way to its highest level and even then it didn't produce the output of the Audiosource.

The only time the M&K sub even came close to the output of the Audiosource is when it was at its highest volume level and the crossover was set all the way up to 180!

These test results were not only audible, but visible. You could see the Audiosource cone moving more than the M&K. I could even feel the hair on my arm moving when I put my arm up to the Audiosource. No such result with the M&K.

At this point I am at a loss for words and really am disappointed. I don't know what to do? I don't know if the sub is defective or what? I cant imagine that the sub was damaged in shipment because it looks fine and was very well packaged. No visible signs of shipment damage at all. Either to the boxes or the sub.

Does anyone have any suggestions or has had experience with this model sub? Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Although I dont think so.

Thanks in advance for your responses and your time for reading this VERY long post!

Adrian
    Rotel 1068, Rotel 1060, Rotel 1055, Rotel 1095, Rotel 956, Rotel RLC-1040, M&K VX-860 Sub, Whatmough M30s, Squeezebox 3
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

I didn't find anything tricky with the setup in their manual, but you need to start phase at 0, not in the middle. 0 phase should be close to in sync with the mains. That's probably not your problem, just something I noticed.

It could be bad speaker level inputs, something the previous owner might not have noticed. Connect zone 2 output up to the RCA inputs and see if you get more output.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Club1820
      • Jan 2006

Thanks for the quick response Kevin! You even went to the extent of looking at the manual. Wow!

Yes, I tried adjusting the phase at every point. From 0 to 180. Did not help.

I will go ahead and try your suggestion and hook it up to zone 2. Did not occur to me that the speaker level connections may be bad on the sub. I am also going to hook it up to my 1068 & 1095. Although this will be a hassel because its currently boxed up - renovating my basement.

I may just take it too a friends house who currently has a M&K 150 watt sub (it Rocks!) along with a 1068 & 1075.

One thing just occurred to me - As I was in a hurry to test out the sub and it was a hassel to try and connect the power cord to my Panamax in the Armoire, I hooked up the sub through a cheapie extension cord coming out of the Panamax. Could this possibly be the problem? I Will hook up the sub directly to the panamax and perhaps the outlet anyway just to be sure.

Thanks again Kevin and anyone else who responds. Will keep everyone informed.

Adrian
      Rotel 1068, Rotel 1060, Rotel 1055, Rotel 1095, Rotel 956, Rotel RLC-1040, M&K VX-860 Sub, Whatmough M30s, Squeezebox 3

Comment

• gianni
        • Nov 2002

I doubt the extension cord has any bearing. If the speaker level inputs are good, there may be a difference in gain between the 2 subs but it should work ok connected by speaker level even though line level is preffered. The 860 is by no means weak.

If you can't figure this out by Monday, I would call Barry Ober at M&K directly. They are very helpful.

Comment

• Club1820
          • Jan 2006

Thanks Gianni. Do you happen to know if M&K's warranties are transferable? The original owner sent me the registration form (uncompleted) along with his original receipt.

Thanks.

Comment

• Club1820
            • Jan 2006

Well, just got through hooking up the M&K Sub directly to my panamax and also to the wall outlet. At first I thought this made a difference (wishful thinking).

Perhaps there was a slight difference (?). But when I did another a/b test with the audiosource, the results were still the same. My 10 year-old 200 watt sub output is twice the amount!

well, I will try the other suggestions along with hooking it up to my friends system.

Thanks.

Comment

• mattburk
              • Feb 2003

call M&K they have great customer service. They will take care of you.
              www.mycstone.com
              www.coverednow.com
              www.biarenton.com

Comment

• Club1820
                • Jan 2006

I thought I would give everyone who viewed/responded an update.

I hooked up the sub to two other systems via the sub-out. Rotel 1068/1075 & Sunfire Theatre Grand/Cinema Grand. SAME RESULT - very little bass output. I even had it side by side with another M&K sub @ 150 watts and the 860 was blown away. At volume 70 on the 1068, the cone on the 860 sub was barely moving.

Something is definitely wrong with the sub. Can only conclue that the amp got damaged in shipment. ? I am sending back to the original owner for a full refund. He gave me his FEDEX account number to ship it back, but does not want to refund my original shipping charges. Which I dont really agree with. I would be out about $34 and for what? - nothing but hassle. What do you think about this?

thanks

Comment

• miner
                  • Mar 2005

Audiogon has a Dispute page that you could tell your story on. This may help get your refund, or at least, keep the individual fromselling anything else on A'gon if not settled.

Comment

• Club1820
                    • Jan 2006

Well, the guy has been very nice and understanding other than the original shipping charges. I really dont want to take it to that level just yet. I will run it by him again. If he doesnt agree, then I will probably wait for my refund less the shipping and then possibly dispute the shipping fees with Audiogon.

Comment

• wkhanna
                      Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2006

Really sorry to hear of your bad experience.

Buying used is risky. I know cuz I do it all the time. From some of the stories I have heard, I think you may be lucky the seller is taking it back.

It s*cks to wait on a good deal you where happy to find, and have it arrive, only to hook it up and then have problems.

But if you can get the purchase $ back, and not have to pay return postage, I think your doing well. That is the same as most retailers offer.

Still, it does s*ck!
                      _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                      ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Club1820
                        • Jan 2006

yeah, it does s**k. But like you said. I am happy he's taking it back. Which he should, actually.

I've made several purchases on Ebay & Audiogon. This is the first time it hasnt worked out. All the other times the items were exactly as described. Usually even better.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"