I auditioned JL Audio E110 sub and my questions about E110,E112,subwoofers in general

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AwArEnEsS
    • Nov 2009

I auditioned JL Audio E110 sub and my questions about E110,E112,subwoofers in general

I have listened to JL audio E110 at an audio shop, in another city.The reason why I want a sub is mostly feeling the sound at my body,gut especially , also hearing the lower frequencies which my speakers(or any other speaker) can't give.

When we arrived,I asked the sales person if we can see JL Audio E110.He brought it in a box .When I asked if we can listen to it,my mother got shocked Because she thought that it's not certain that we will buy it and we will tire them(but I was knowing that they even have special rooms for demonstrating audio components to people).

Sales person used a few cds to demonstrate the sub.First he run the sub with low volume
    level.He started turning the volume of the sub more and he said that after that level it is
    resonance,and then he turned the level a bit more and I almost felt like an earthquake was
    happening in the room, the resonance of ventilation grilles and some other parts of the room were very audible.But I noticed
    one thing which I didn't like: Although I was feeling that it was shaking the sofa and I
    was feeling the bass at my legs' parts which contact with sofa, (also I remember like I felt the
    bass on outer part my arms but I am not sure if I remember this right) I was not able to
    feel any bass at my gut/chest. I regret very much that I didn't take some of my cds from
    home. I am not sure but I think the cds that they used to demonstrate had very low frequency bass,
    but not hitting bass.I had read on a web page that it is mid bass which "hits",not very low
    frequency bass.Still,when he turned off the subwoofer,although the speakers look like they were expensive,the sound became very thin compared to when sub was turned on.

I said that I don't feel the bass at my gut and he said that it's very difficult to have it in hifi,it's generally possible with professional subwoofers or more expensive and more powerful subwoofers.Then he played with some settings of the subwoofer and suddenly I started feeling the bass at my gut powerfully.I said him that it's better now,then he said "Don't understand me wrong,but this is not music,this is resonance". At home,when I increase bass level of my receiver(I have a stereo setup without subbwoofer),speakers give stronger bass but I think actually receiver is adding artificial bass.Is it same with subwoofers when you play with their settings?

Then I listened to one of Monitor Audio's biggest subwoofers,but it was a 5+1 setup and I listened to the sound in a movie(Transformers).I was standing up and the volume level was too high, I couldn't understand much the power of the sub and the bass didn't impress me much actually. Then he asked which sub I liked more and I said that I liked Jl one more and he said "it's different/it's a different story".So I understood that he thought Jl E110 is better than Monitor Audio one.(price of both of them were very similar)

I have looked at internet reviews of both Jl Audio E110 and E112, cnet reviewer commented
    in his review that it is the best compact subwoofer yet,for E110 and in another review E112
    earned Top Pick award.But in a review of E110, the reviewer wrote that E110 isn't gut-
    punching and this made me confused.If I could listen to E110 and E112 with some of my cds
    with the gut-punching bass (which are gut punching when listening with my b&w 683s with
    high volume levels) then it would be great but we returned from that city and there is no
    shop which sells JL Audio or B&W in my home city, unfortunately.

The sales person also said that I can buy a stereo amplifier instead of buying a subwoofer
    to hear more bass,he said that no receiver can do better than a stereo amplifier in a
    stereo setup but I don't think it will be a good choice for me.

Has anybody heard/had JL Audio E110,E112,B&W PV1D or B&W Asw10cm?What does s/he think about
    it?Also,Is it true that mid-bass-not the very low frequency bass gives the punch effect?Don't understand me wrong, I don't
    want the subwoofer just for punching effect but still it's important for me.Also don't
    recommend me internet-direct subwoofer companies please.
    The universe arises from definitionless awareness.
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

There's a difference between (LFE) low frequency effects in DTS and Dolby Digital surround sound and the kind of bass you get from stereo music. In my opinion, unless you are playing your music at really loud, concert level volumes, your not going to feel the bass 'in your gut' with music. With LFE, you will 'feel it in your gut' much more. The bass from a sub shouldn't dominate the soundscape with stereo, but compliment it by blending in with the sound of your main speakers to produce low end bass that your main speakers cannot produce well.

I have no experience with the subs you are mentioning, but if your looking for 'bass in your gut', I would strongly suggest you get the largest, most powerful self powered sub you can get your hands on (possibly two). There is no substitute for driver size and power when it comes to getting low end bass or LFE in movies.
    Dan Madden :T

Comment

• AwArEnEsS
      • Nov 2009

Thanks for your answer.

Comment

• WLDock
        • Jun 2013

Sounds like you want some clean and powerful low end energy. I know exactly what you are talking about being a drummer that likes the big fast midbass of some pro audio systems. When I listen to a live track like The Dave Matthews Band album - 'The Gorge' /track - 'Seek Up' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2fEvCybJpc
        The bass guitar and Carter Beauford's kick in that track should be smacking you in the chest! Large towers with great midbass and two well integrated subs are in order to really pull it off.

Comment

• wkhanna
          Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

Integrating TWO subs is the way to go.
          Not only does it cancel most room mode issues, it adds the dynamics you are admiring.
          _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
          ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Ovation
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2004

Agreed. They don't even need to be identical (though they should each be decent performers). Works wonders in my HT.

Comment

• AwArEnEsS
              • Nov 2009

Thanks for your answers.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"