Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Renron
    • Jan 2008

Yes and No to the Crossover location.
    I'm putting the Woofer XO on the inside, maybe attached to the backside of the base, I'll have to wait and see how things lay out. The mid and tweeter will be inside the base, exposed to the floor. If I want to tweak the XO later it will be easier to change out parts on the exposed underside rather than inside the speaker box.
    Thanks for the complement on the cuts, I've had some practice with those kind of things. Not bad for a 25 year old Hitachi Slide saw!

It's cold here these days ~freezing every morning, the dog's look at their water dish funny. LOL. I won't be able to veneer my speakers until it warms up to the mid 70's, I'll work on what I can and wait for spring thaw to come.
    Ardent TS

Comment

• BobEllis
      Super Senior Member
      • Dec 2005

Lookin' good, Ron. I know what you mean about weather limits. I'll probably assemble mine without finish once I get veneer on. At least I can work that indoors. I'm reduced to riding my bike indoors, too. Thesufferfest.com makes that bearable, but I'd much rather be outdoors.

Comment

• benthe8track
        • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Renron
        I've almost finished the bases, Wood work is completed. I'm just waiting on the thin ABS plastic to "skin" the base. This will help prevent any damage when the vacuum smacks into the base of the speaker. ABS is very tough stuff and almost bullet proof.
        Being a cheap SOB, I checked out the prices for a rubber base gasket, and did not want to pay $15+ per speaker for a sheet of rubber I was going to cut up anyway. I didn't want to use strips like window or door sealant because they always leak at the corners. I had recently gone to Michael's Crafts store to buy a foam sheet to be cut into a new turntable mat. Always trying something different, it's a disease most of us have. I thought the foam would be perfect for the gasket too, so I went back and purchased a couple of black ones to try out. Guess what? They were PERFECT! The down side is they cost me a total of $2.15 for both. What the heck, it's only money! I splurged and bought 2. They are a 1 mm closed cell rubber type foam that feels exactly like a speaker gasket provided by a manufacturer. Here are the pictures.

Edit; I may try a can of spray on Truck bed liner instead of the thin ABS sheet. Would be much easier. Any thoughts?
        Good score on the gasket. That's basically what we used too, it was a closed cell foam; either from my car audio days or from my fab shop. It works great in any case.
        I really like your idea for ABS on the sides of the base. We just have painted wood bases and I found when we moved they got beat up enough to be noticeable (to me anyways, you know how it is).
        Could give it the BobEllis treatment with epoxy? I think you want something tough that doesn't have to be as nice because you can't really see it.

Comment

• TEK
          Super Senior Member
          • Oct 2002

Originally posted by BobEllis
          Lookin' good, Ron. I know what you mean about weather limits. I'll probably assemble mine without finish once I get veneer on. At least I can work that indoors. I'm reduced to riding my bike indoors, too. Thesufferfest.com makes that bearable, but I'd much rather be outdoors.
          Hmm, beeing a little ... there ;-)
          Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	860399
          Me, or maybe it was my neighbor ;-), run the bike several miles to work every day trough the norwegian winter :-P
          -TEK

Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and discouraged men who kept on working...

Comment

• BobEllis
            Super Senior Member
            • Dec 2005

When I was under 30 I'd commute to work on my bike down to 25F. That was about an hour, barely keeping fingers and toes from frostbite. I know better now. I will ride outside at 45F if there isn't much wind. Besides, it's skinny tires only so no riding with that white junk around.

Comment

• Renron
              • Jan 2008

Originally posted by benthe8track
              Could give it the BobEllis treatment with epoxy?
              I think this "Ellis Epoxy" thing could stick! Ba - Dum - Ching !

Tek wins, With Ben and his Dad coming in a close second with Bob being smart indoors.

This really is a great forum. All good folks.
              Ron
              Ardent TS

Comment

• Renron
                • Jan 2008

Today's update,
                I finished (almost) one of the woofer crossovers. They will live inside the cavity below the woofers. Attached top of the base. All other XO parts will be installed underneath the base. I had some capacitors left over from previous builds and wanted to use them instead of buying new ones. At least as good quality as a Cross Cap. The // resistors are power resistors mounted on an aluminum heat sink, measured and paired.
                Ron

Name:	20151221_143035_resized.jpg
Views:	1221
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	860411
                Last edited by theSven; 08 April 2023, 02:43 Saturday. Reason: Update image location
                Ardent TS

Comment

• TEK
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Oct 2002

How is stuff going Ron?
                  -TEK

Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and discouraged men who kept on working...

Comment

• Renron
                    • Jan 2008

Tek,
                    Thanks for asking! I'm slowly building up my Crossovers and waiting for warmer weather to veneer my speakers. Meanwhile..................
                    I'm trying (and failing) to understand how to measure drivers / speakers with Arta. I've got all the hardware but I'm too stuuupid (jk) to figure it out. Lots of reading before any hands on work.
                    I've purchased some drivers which work well together and I want to build a center channel for my HT. Very similar to the Finialist Center Channel drivers.
                    (2)Dayton RS-225-8, (2)Tang Band W4-1337sdf, Dayton RS-28f. I got the Tang Band drivers almost free, even though they are a little different from the ones the Statements use, I think I can make them work.

Back to Ardent talk. I've been looking into different finishes and have had a cabinet maker recommend a Marine coating. Awl-Grip Clear coat. Auto clear coats are at the top of my list.
                    Tek, which "clear filler" did you use under the Glasurite?
                    Ron

I need to learn how to measure drivers so I can start to design a crossover. I'm OK with tweeking until I like the sound.
                    Last edited by Renron; 18 January 2016, 15:29 Monday.
                    Ardent TS

Comment

• TEK
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Oct 2002

Hi Ron

I'm not 100% sure (still at work), but I think it was this one: http://www.glasurit.com/uk/glasurit-...sparent-sealer. I will double check when I get home.
                      However, it's more of a sealer than a filler. I should have used a wood filler or something like that first to close all the pores before starting to add filler. I do have some areas that are a good bit away from perfect.

Maybe egg white, super glue or epoxy first would have been a good idea? I think veneer, especially raw veneer with errors, are the most difficult surface I have ever worked on. If you mess up your kindof fu**ed. You cannot sand it down, because the you might sand trough. You cannot just add more because then it might not be transparent enough. You can not add filler because it's not transparent enough and so on. So, you better get that ground work good ;-)
                      In that regard color is A LOT easier to work with. If you mess up you just fix it and add another coat.
                      -TEK

Comment

• ergo
                        • Mar 2005

Renron, try

This one is not directly ARTA based but also quite a good source for describing 'speaker design and measurement process' and theory.
                        Audio Measurements Trust our experience   Foto Story PDF Download Speaker Developement PDF Download Loudspeaker measurement PDF Download Photostory OK² PDF Download Dipol and Cardioid Loudspeaker PDF Download The Time-Behaviour of Equalisers in dependancy of the Quality factor PDF Download Calibration of the audio High-End System in Cars PDF Download The developement of time-correct Loudspeaker ... Read more

If you run into something specific with ARTA ask away. I've used it since it was a v1 freeware

Comment

• Renron
                          • Jan 2008

Ergo,
                          Thank you VERY much for the links, I will read them today. Your assistance is greatly appreciated.
                          I'm a visual / auditory learner, some folks are better with written tutorials.

What do most people use to hold the driver under test? Plywood panel,? Or is it best to hang it free air? A little off topic for this thread, but I'm OK with thread drift as long as it's speaker related.
                          Ron
                          Ardent TS

Comment

• Renron
                            • Jan 2008

Jon,
                            Any chance you might have some spare time in the future to design the XO for the SS 12MU/4731 midwoofer? Didn't want to bother you while you were moving and during the Christmas holiday / New Years seasons.
                            I'm looking forward to the weather warming up so I can start on my Sapele Pomelle Veneer, Bob and I are waiting anxiously for Mother Nature to co-operate! It was 68* yesterday. Almost there!
                            Thanks,
                            Ron
                            Ardent TS

Comment

• JonMarsh
                              Mad Max Moderator
                              • Aug 2000

Yes- I've been working on that, I measured it, published it, then haven't been able to find the files.

But this morning I found them, after going through a few more possibilities. ops: So this will be coming soon- no later than the end of next weekend, or you guys can do what Trump would do, and say "You're Fired!"

There is so much stuff going on now, and that is just at work- a critical customer program evolving over two years supported by other people was just dumped on me because it's become quite urgent- I'm the guy they bring in at times when the HQ guys aren't getting results.

So sit tight, now that my intermittent search for these files has paid off, I'm on the right track.

(PS, in a conference call last Friday on a different topic and issue that has been unraveling was in process, my manager asked me if I wasn't in a TGIF mood, and glad it was Friday finally- I said, "Sure, I'm really glad it's Friday, that means there are only two more days to work this week!" :W That wasn't quite the answer he was expecting, but then I gave him a quick recount of a number of issues... (plus there are two invention disclosures I'm working on now...)

It's been one of those years so far... I'm actually beginning to wonder if I have't bit off a little more at times than I can truly chew! But I figure it's better to beaver away at the work than ponder my angst or belly button. :B
                              the AudioWorx
                              Natalie P
                              M8ta
                              Modula Neo DCC
                              Modula MT XE
                              Modula Xtreme
                              Isiris
                              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                              Minerva Monitor
                              Calliope
                              Ardent D

In Development...
                              Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                              Obi-Wan
                              Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                              Modula PWB
                              Calliope CC Supreme
                              Natalie P Ultra
                              Natalie P Supreme
                              Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                              Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Renron
                                • Jan 2008

Thank you Jon.
                                You are the man, doing the work of 10.
                                I'm starting to think you like it that busy. Keeps those neurons firing.

On our home front, the wifee unit and I, finished designing the floor plans and layout of our new house. Paid and had the well inspected on the 5 acres we purchased, sweet water btw, then started the submittal process for the county planning agency (ies). Now come to find out, we will have to pay over $100,000 in fees (taxes really) just to have our plans reviewed! That's before any ground is disturbed! No lie, there really is a tax for disturbing the ground..........................
                                I think we'll start looking at homes to remodel. $100K can build a very nice Home Theater and Kitchen update. Sheesh!

Ron
                                Ardent TS

Comment

• TEK
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Oct 2002

over $100,000 in fees (taxes really) just to have our plans reviewed!
                                  That's insain Ron!
                                  Sorry to hear about your problems - hope it works out for you!
                                  -TEK

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                    Mad Max Moderator
                                    • Aug 2000

Thank you Jon.

On our home front, the wifee unit and I, finished designing the floor plans and layout of our new house. Paid and had the well inspected on the 5 acres we purchased, sweet water btw, then started the submittal process for the county planning agency (ies). Now come to find out, we will have to pay over $100,000 in fees (taxes really) just to have our plans reviewed! That's before any ground is disturbed! No lie, there really is a tax for disturbing the ground..........................
                                    I think we'll start looking at homes to remodel. $100K can build a very nice Home Theater and Kitchen update. Sheesh!

Ron
                                    [/SARCASM] Gee Ron, you don't live in California do you? The town I used to live in has/had a development fee base like that back in 2000- $100K to get the paper work going on building anything anywhere. [/SARCASM-OFF]

That is why older homes in Danville are so popular (the Danville slums as my GF calls them) - yeah, even unimproved ones from the 50's sell for 650K and up, but then there are ways to game the local building ordinances, by keeping some bare minimum of the outline of the original floor plan, and from that they basically build a new home, extending out backwards usually. And by Build, I mean upgrading the foundation, completely re-doing the front walls (but staying on the original location) redoing the roof totally to a modern height and insulated attic, totally revamping the garage, etc. But it's still considered a "remodel". You can do a hell of a lot for $250K on a job like that, and wind up with a place worth a million and a quarter, easy, at local prices. And for the most part, it's all new, except the water and electricity hookups!
                                    the AudioWorx
                                    Natalie P
                                    M8ta
                                    Modula Neo DCC
                                    Modula MT XE
                                    Modula Xtreme
                                    Isiris
                                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                    Minerva Monitor
                                    Calliope
                                    Ardent D

In Development...
                                    Obi-Wan
                                    Modula PWB
                                    Calliope CC Supreme
                                    Natalie P Ultra
                                    Natalie P Supreme
                                    Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                      Mad Max Moderator
                                      • Aug 2000

Thank you Jon.

Ron
                                      Ron, we've got good news, and other news. :W The good news is I have all the files together in one nice cozy spot. The other news, is that this crossover redesign just became a bit of a learning project and guinea pig (not the same thing as a pig with lipstick) as I've come across a new crossover design program written by a guy in Finland, and you know what a sucker I am for northern European technology.

Name:	main.png
Views:	136
Size:	257.0 KB
ID:	932840

Aren't those nice colors and graphs? I already have it downloaded for my new Dell XPS 4K laptop and my trusty 2010 Mac Pro (also running WIN10). The weird thing, is that in some ways, it's more like LSPCAD 5 on steroids than LspCAD6. that is, it doesn't have a free form schematic editor. But implements filter blocks you string together. However, it looks like doing the Wavecor Ardent is no problem.

Now, here's the groovy part- it handles up to 5 ways, but it can use the extra driver and filter slots in clever ways. I.E., one can have two different versions of midrange, for example, with the same woofer and tweeter section, and with a click switch and compare.

I think you see the utility to that for what we need to do here.... :W :B

So we'll be able to easily compare the C79 and 12MU4731 implementations.
                                      Last edited by theSven; 08 April 2023, 02:19 Saturday. Reason: Update image location
                                      the AudioWorx
                                      Natalie P
                                      M8ta
                                      Modula Neo DCC
                                      Modula MT XE
                                      Modula Xtreme
                                      Isiris
                                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                      Minerva Monitor
                                      Calliope
                                      Ardent D

In Development...
                                      Obi-Wan
                                      Modula PWB
                                      Calliope CC Supreme
                                      Natalie P Ultra
                                      Natalie P Supreme
                                      Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Renron
                                        • Jan 2008

Oh that is so cool! Thank you Jon. I knew I could bribe you with dog treats. ;D
                                        OTOH, sorry you have one more thing to tackle. Busy , Busy Man.
                                        I can only imagine how fantastic that rainbow waterfall looks on a 4K monitor. Stunning. I've never seen one arch in the beginning like that before.
                                        Those graphs are very easy to read, even for a Uber novice like me. I'm proud to be nominated as the Ardent Guinea Pig. I consider it an honor. (not sarcasm)
                                        "So we'll be able to easily compare the C79 and 12MU4731 implementations." When completed, I'm bringing them to your house for a stereo "Mano a Mano" comparison too.
                                        With your permission of course. I'll beg later.
                                        It will be very interesting to hear the leap in SQ between the two.
                                        Thanks again Jon, for myself and the audio community, thank you for your contributions.

As per his website, "Maximum 15 filter blocks per way". Jon, we all know how you are with XO design.......... You don't have to use all 15.

Ron
                                        Ardent TS

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                          Mad Max Moderator
                                          • Aug 2000

Nah, I should keep it down to 10 or 12 this time- just to be reasonable! :B
                                          the AudioWorx
                                          Natalie P
                                          M8ta
                                          Modula Neo DCC
                                          Modula MT XE
                                          Modula Xtreme
                                          Isiris
                                          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                          Minerva Monitor
                                          Calliope
                                          Ardent D

In Development...
                                          Obi-Wan
                                          Modula PWB
                                          Calliope CC Supreme
                                          Natalie P Ultra
                                          Natalie P Supreme
                                          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                            Mad Max Moderator
                                            • Aug 2000

Well, it's looking doable- a little more flexibility than I thought at first, too...

This is just the "standard" Wavecor Ardent. First step, correlation.

Name:	24757859183_860c36355e_h.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	305.6 KB
ID:	932841
                                            Last edited by theSven; 08 April 2023, 02:19 Saturday. Reason: Update image location
                                            the AudioWorx
                                            Natalie P
                                            M8ta
                                            Modula Neo DCC
                                            Modula MT XE
                                            Modula Xtreme
                                            Isiris
                                            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                            Minerva Monitor
                                            Calliope
                                            Ardent D

In Development...
                                            Obi-Wan
                                            Modula PWB
                                            Calliope CC Supreme
                                            Natalie P Ultra
                                            Natalie P Supreme
                                            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• BobEllis
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Dec 2005

Slightly off topic, Jon. I'm building my Ardents with a standard top end but -02 woofers. Unless and until you get a chance to try out the -02s in your Ardents and see if it will take more than a mid and tweet padding adjustment I plan to go active on the low crossover doing my best to duplicate those transfer functions in a miniDSP and passive on the upper. Looking at the transfer functions I think I need about 2 dB of padding on the tweeter relative to the midrange depsite their 4 dB rated sensitivity difference. In the midrange crossover, I'd leave out the series capacitors, parallel inductor and the 5 and 11 ohm resistors while adjusting the tweeter L-pad. Is that right? It looks like I should be able to use my Pass AJ clone on the top end and one of my bigger amps on the bottom.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                Mad Max Moderator
                                                • Aug 2000

That should probably do what you want. do you have any measurement capability? how well do your amps track for gain? will you just dial it in by ear? (one can do worse)

How soon will you be ready to try this? I can model the changes in the midrange crossover and tweeter crossover and confirm the behavior.

Bigger question- how are you going to do a modified LR3 in the MiniDSP- do you think you can fudge that, too? Have you tried approximating the filter transfer functions? does the software plot those out for you?

One thing you could do, having two amps, (and ignoring the mini-DSP for now) is build it all passive, hook up the Low pass crossover and driver to one amp, the high pass to midrange and tweeter to the other, and just adjust them amp gains or volume to each amp. (last resort... if you have any difficulties getting the mini-DSP working the way you expect.
                                                the AudioWorx
                                                Natalie P
                                                M8ta
                                                Modula Neo DCC
                                                Modula MT XE
                                                Modula Xtreme
                                                Isiris
                                                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                Minerva Monitor
                                                Calliope
                                                Ardent D

In Development...
                                                Obi-Wan
                                                Modula PWB
                                                Calliope CC Supreme
                                                Natalie P Ultra
                                                Natalie P Supreme
                                                Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• BobEllis
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Dec 2005

Yes, I have measurement capability with a calibrated EMM-6.

MiniDSP will do third order electrical filters. High and low pass corner frequencies are set separately so I should be able to spread them enough and get an "LR3" result. The software plots the resulting response including measured driver response although it's not a very high resolution display.

I'd considered the passive biamp solution but the prospect of changing out $400 in resistors when the design is tweaked for the -02 isn't enticing. It's an option if the MiniDSP doesn't work, though. I'd like to get it properly built with a passive X0 so I can start working towards a good DAC. Probably won't be able to go higher than a Schiit YGGDRASIL, but it's nice to dream.

I'm not terribly close to hooking things up. It probably will be another month or so before I get to finish my cabinets. Keep it back burner. It just seemed like an opportune time to ask the question. Thanks for your support.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                    Mad Max Moderator
                                                    • Aug 2000

OK- back to Renron and the 12MU4731.

I think we have something workable here- one thing I was somewhat concerned about was handling a 4 ohm driver instead of nominally 6-8 ohm, and keeping the impedance reasonably high- but I think we've got that licked.

For reference, here's the scaled smoothed measured data for the 12MU/4731, as measured in a cabinet with the same width as we're working with in the Ardent, in Vituix.

Click image for larger version  Name:	25301391791_0894b4b704_o.png Views:	151 Size:	246.0 KB ID:	932816

I setup another way in the same project file, and just turned off the original midrange. But, I could also copy the original midrange network into the new way, so this saved time getting started.

I aimed for both good smoothness but also a mild mannered impedance curve, which imposes some limits...

Click image for larger version  Name:	25301391421_337bf5a7f5_o.png Views:	136 Size:	534.9 KB ID:	932817

note how the impedance is pretty much nailed at 5 ohms for most of the midrange band. I think I deserve at least a nice latte for achieving that! :W

Mid polarity inverted, and all looks as expected...

Click image for larger version  Name:	25026827959_018a3e482b_o.png Views:	137 Size:	553.1 KB ID:	932818

Part list-

Click image for larger version  Name:	25301390091_1eebf571ac_o.png Views:	142 Size:	356.8 KB ID:	932819

Note, the component numbers have NOTHING to do with the original Ardent component numbers- it uses a built in forced component designator numbering, just like LspCAD 5, and one can't alter it. (at least, not that I've discovered).

Woofer and tweeter networks are as per normal Ardent practice- only the midrange is changed.

Note, while one can export frequency response, impedance, directivity index, some other graphs, you can't export a text parts list. Think that could be improved a bit. No way to print it, either. In fact, this program doesn't have a print command- the only way to get data out besides writing it down is screen capture. Still, I'd say it works pretty well, and is well worth the modest price.

Note, these are fairly high resolution screen captures, if you click on the image, it should take you to flickr, where you can save the full resolution version, not what may be showing on your monitor (which may not look like what's showing on my 5K monitor...) Save and print.
                                                    Last edited by theSven; 21 April 2024, 02:39 Sunday. Reason: Remove URLs from images
                                                    the AudioWorx
                                                    Natalie P
                                                    M8ta
                                                    Modula Neo DCC
                                                    Modula MT XE
                                                    Modula Xtreme
                                                    Isiris
                                                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                    Minerva Monitor
                                                    Calliope
                                                    Ardent D

In Development...
                                                    Obi-Wan
                                                    Modula PWB
                                                    Calliope CC Supreme
                                                    Natalie P Ultra
                                                    Natalie P Supreme
                                                    Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                      Mad Max Moderator
                                                      • Aug 2000

Note, as per the original Ardent, I will prepare a detailed "BOM" schematic with component recommendations for the new midrange section broken out in detail, part by part. Sit tight. At least you have a viable schematic in case I get run over by a semi today!
                                                      the AudioWorx
                                                      Natalie P
                                                      M8ta
                                                      Modula Neo DCC
                                                      Modula MT XE
                                                      Modula Xtreme
                                                      Isiris
                                                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                      Minerva Monitor
                                                      Calliope
                                                      Ardent D

In Development...
                                                      Obi-Wan
                                                      Modula PWB
                                                      Calliope CC Supreme
                                                      Natalie P Ultra
                                                      Natalie P Supreme
                                                      Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                        Mad Max Moderator
                                                        • Aug 2000

I've almost finished the bases, Wood work is completed. I'm just waiting on the thin ABS plastic to "skin" the base. This will help prevent any damage when the vacuum smacks into the base of the speaker. ABS is very tough stuff and almost bullet proof.
                                                        Being a cheap SOB, I checked out the prices for a rubber base gasket, and did not want to pay $15+ per speaker for a sheet of rubber I was going to cut up anyway. I didn't want to use strips like window or door sealant because they always leak at the corners. I had recently gone to Michael's Crafts store to buy a foam sheet to be cut into a new turntable mat. Always trying something different, it's a disease most of us have. I thought the foam would be perfect for the gasket too, so I went back and purchased a couple of black ones to try out. Guess what? They were PERFECT! The down side is they cost me a total of $2.15 for both. What the heck, it's only money! I splurged and bought 2. They are a 1 mm closed cell rubber type foam that feels exactly like a speaker gasket provided by a manufacturer. Here are the pictures.

Edit; I may try a can of spray on Truck bed liner instead of the thin ABS sheet. Would be much easier. Any thoughts?
                                                        The big heavy cabinet wall faceted speakers I gave away to my friend who ten years later founded Avalon were painted with the equivalent of truck bed liner. But I think the ABS would be a bit more posh. As always, your speakers, your bucks, your call.

You price out parts the way my girlfriend prices out clothes... But then living in a fairly posh community (gross understatement) she just shops the thrift stores, for all the high end brands- been doing that for years while she was working, too. Only spends $10 on something if she really, really likes it and it's very nice. And she shops the thrift store when their having they're weekly sales. You two would probably get along fine philosophically...
                                                        the AudioWorx
                                                        Natalie P
                                                        M8ta
                                                        Modula Neo DCC
                                                        Modula MT XE
                                                        Modula Xtreme
                                                        Isiris
                                                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                        Minerva Monitor
                                                        Calliope
                                                        Ardent D

In Development...
                                                        Obi-Wan
                                                        Modula PWB
                                                        Calliope CC Supreme
                                                        Natalie P Ultra
                                                        Natalie P Supreme
                                                        Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                          Mad Max Moderator
                                                          • Aug 2000

Updated components breakdown crossover with suggestions, for 12MU4731

Click image for larger version  Name:	24790493234_99d79a6a46_h.jpg Views:	114 Size:	292.7 KB ID:	932815
                                                          Last edited by theSven; 21 April 2024, 02:40 Sunday. Reason: Remove URL from image
                                                          the AudioWorx
                                                          Natalie P
                                                          M8ta
                                                          Modula Neo DCC
                                                          Modula MT XE
                                                          Modula Xtreme
                                                          Isiris
                                                          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                          Minerva Monitor
                                                          Calliope
                                                          Ardent D

In Development...
                                                          Obi-Wan
                                                          Modula PWB
                                                          Calliope CC Supreme
                                                          Natalie P Ultra
                                                          Natalie P Supreme
                                                          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Renron
                                                            • Jan 2008

At least one latte. Jon, thank you for your hard work. I just can't say thank you enough for your time. It is the nicest gift you can give. AND you kept the parts list to only 18 components! (jk)
                                                            5 Ohms from a 4 ohm midrange? Next is water to wine! You are indeed a miracle worker with XOs. I'm so excited to start building this XO I can hardly wait for the parts to arrive. As soon as I get paid for the kidney, I'll order the parts. Naw, I've been acquiring some of the capacitors I thought I would need for a few months now. That's a lot of capacitance. Now that I know exactly what's needed I can get serious.
                                                            On a different note, my wifee shops the "high end" second hand stores for name brand clothing too. That's too funny. Why don't they have any of those kind of stores for Guy stuff? (it ain't FleaBay)
                                                            Ron
                                                            Ardent TS

Comment

• TEK
                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                              • Oct 2002

As soon as I get paid for the kidney
                                                              Jesus Ron! Have you started to sell your body parts to be able to afford diy speaker parts 8O
                                                              -TEK

Comment

• BobEllis
                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                • Dec 2005

He was warned how addictive this hobby is.

Comment

• Renron
                                                                  • Jan 2008

Addictive indeed.
                                                                  I've been busy on other projects too. Still waiting for the weather to warm up so I can veneer my Ardents.
                                                                  Thanks Jon for the XO work. I'm buying your ticket to Burning Amp this year and your lunch too. No, you don't have a choice.

DIY (Do it yourself): Cabinetry, speakers, subwoofers, crossovers, measurements. Jon and Thomas have probably designed and built as many speakers as any non-professionals. Who are we kidding? They are pros, they just don't do it for a living. This has got to be one of the most advanced places on the net to talk speaker building, period.

Ron
                                                                  Last edited by theSven; 08 April 2023, 02:28 Saturday. Reason: Update htguide url
                                                                  Ardent TS

Comment

• Renron
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Jan 2008

Question for anyone who knows.
                                                                    How important is the quality of the Parallel capacitors in the XO ? How much do they effect the sound? I know quality Caps in series are vital.
                                                                    I have a bunch of high value "OLD YELLOW" (Mylar I think) ones from NHT, in my parts bin. The leads are cut short but can be soldered.
                                                                    Or is this like putting Uncle Bob's Gas Station el cheapo gas in a Ferrari?

Thanks,
                                                                    Ron
                                                                    Ardent TS

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                      Mad Max Moderator
                                                                      • Aug 2000

In the woofer circuit, no big deal. In the midrange, just put the caps down and back away from the bench... otherwise, we may have to call in the drones...
                                                                      the AudioWorx
                                                                      Natalie P
                                                                      M8ta
                                                                      Modula Neo DCC
                                                                      Modula MT XE
                                                                      Modula Xtreme
                                                                      Isiris
                                                                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                      Minerva Monitor
                                                                      Calliope
                                                                      Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                      Obi-Wan
                                                                      Modula PWB
                                                                      Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                      Natalie P Ultra
                                                                      Natalie P Supreme
                                                                      Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Renron
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Jan 2008

Yes, my Master....................
                                                                        Ardent TS

Comment

• Renron
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Jan 2008

Now we all know it's important to use non inductive resistors when building XO (crossover) circuits. It's a given. But, how much and what's the difference in resistors? How much inductance do they have?
                                                                          Well being frugal as I am, this thread proves it, I decided to check it out. Here's some of what I've learned.
                                                                          This is a 10 min video on resistors, inductive and non inductive types tested.
                                                                          A comparison of the commercial non-inductive resistors to wire-wound resistors and the effect the inductance has on overall impedance. In the discussion I ge...

The two pictures below are my photos, both are Dale brand which are very well respected in the 'Audio' community. One is a 10W and the other is a 50W.
                                                                          Please note that the reading is below a mH and is in uH territory. Just how much energy storage are we talking about? Does it REALLY effect anything at this level? I doubt I can hear it.
                                                                          Just food for thought and I welcome your comments.
                                                                          Ron

Name:	20160331_123207_resized.jpg
Views:	921
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	861583

Name:	20160331_124220_resized.jpg
Views:	979
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	861584
                                                                          Last edited by theSven; 08 April 2023, 02:44 Saturday. Reason: Update image location
                                                                          Ardent TS

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                            Mad Max Moderator
                                                                            • Aug 2000
                                                                            • 15290

Some of my crossover circuits are using 100 or 150 uH in a tweeter inductor circuit. A resistor with 31 uH is not all that cool, IMO. Just saying. For a zobel network in a woofer Low Pass, no problem. For a padding network in a tweeter crossover, not recommended.

YMMV, it's your funeral, blah blah blah... :W

Do what makes you happy... I won't burn crosses in your yard if you use these with a ScanSpeak tweeter, but I may wave my designer finger at you (the way my GF waves her "mommy finger" at me sometimes... )
                                                                            the AudioWorx
                                                                            Natalie P
                                                                            M8ta
                                                                            Modula Neo DCC
                                                                            Modula MT XE
                                                                            Modula Xtreme
                                                                            Isiris
                                                                            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                            Minerva Monitor
                                                                            Calliope
                                                                            Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                            Obi-Wan
                                                                            Modula PWB
                                                                            Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                            Natalie P Ultra
                                                                            Natalie P Supreme
                                                                            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• sdl2112
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Mar 2006
                                                                              • 571

Hey Ron,

FWIW...I see you are reading a negative value. This likely indicates some offset in the meter. To get a more accurate reading it would be best to twist the measuring leads unless very short. This will minimize lead loop inductance and give more repeatable results. Then short the leads and take the difference from this value to the value of the device under test.

-Scott

Now we all know it's important to use non inductive resistors when building XO (crossover) circuits. It's a given. But, how much and what's the difference in resistors? How much inductance do they have?
                                                                              Well being frugal as I am, this thread proves it, I decided to check it out. Here's some of what I've learned.
                                                                              This is a 10 min video on resistors, inductive and non inductive types tested.
                                                                              A comparison of the commercial non-inductive resistors to wire-wound resistors and the effect the inductance has on overall impedance. In the discussion I ge...

The two pictures below are my photos, both are Dale brand which are very well respected in the 'Audio' community. One is a 10W and the other is a 50W.
                                                                              Please note that the reading is below a mH and is in uH territory. Just how much energy storage are we talking about? Does it REALLY effect anything at this level? I doubt I can hear it.
                                                                              Just food for thought and I welcome your comments.
                                                                              Ron

Comment

• Renron
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Jan 2008
                                                                                • 750

Always open to those with more experience than me. The leads are ~6" long. I have purchased new inductors from P.E. which have measured exactly as labeled. I'm not sure why it measures as a negative #.
                                                                                Jon, Have you ever measured Mundorf M-Resist resistors for Inductance? I'm not about to argue with the designer, (or play Russian Roulette), but I am curious how a resistor can have Zero inductance. They are the same design construction as the 50W Dale in the photo above.
                                                                                Hey, I'm trying to learn here! Don't shoot.

Ron
                                                                                Ardent TS

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                                  Mad Max Moderator
                                                                                  • Aug 2000
                                                                                  • 15290

Non-inductive resistors (if properly designed and manufactured) have coils arranged so that the inductance is distributed in two halves out of phase with each other so that the net effect cancels. They're not truly non inductive, but it should be possible to get the parasitic inductance below 1 uH. In fact, for power amps, we used to wind 1-2 uH inductors for output decoupling from capacitive loads back in the day. These days, we have class D amps with output inductors of 220nH. That's 0.22 uH.
                                                                                  the AudioWorx
                                                                                  Natalie P
                                                                                  M8ta
                                                                                  Modula Neo DCC
                                                                                  Modula MT XE
                                                                                  Modula Xtreme
                                                                                  Isiris
                                                                                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                                  Minerva Monitor
                                                                                  Calliope
                                                                                  Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                                  Obi-Wan
                                                                                  Modula PWB
                                                                                  Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                                  Natalie P Ultra
                                                                                  Natalie P Supreme
                                                                                  Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Renron
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Jan 2008
                                                                                    • 750

Thank you Jon,
                                                                                    As they say in Tennis; Point Marsh!
                                                                                    I did some more real and theoretical reading about bifilar resistors, Even Mundorf admits they're not really non inductive. They won't give any #s though on how much they do have. For a few $$$ more and to keep your blood pressure down and the burnt cross off my lawn I'll just do as instructed. Mundorf M Resist it is.
                                                                                    Ardent TS

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                                      Mad Max Moderator
                                                                                      • Aug 2000
                                                                                      • 15290

Cool, Ron!

Now, one more weekend factoid- those tricks for reducing the effective inductance are also applied to some high end speaker cables- and some midrange, like the braided construction of the Kimber tc series, like the 8tc and 12tc.

In the case of speaker cables like my Cardas Golden Reference, the loop back inductance per foot is under 0.02uH. That means a 3 meter cable length is, lets round up to 10ft, that's 0.2uH. I have verified that with an HP4192 network analyzer. That definitely isn't zip cord....
                                                                                      the AudioWorx
                                                                                      Natalie P
                                                                                      M8ta
                                                                                      Modula Neo DCC
                                                                                      Modula MT XE
                                                                                      Modula Xtreme
                                                                                      Isiris
                                                                                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                                      Minerva Monitor
                                                                                      Calliope
                                                                                      Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                                      Obi-Wan
                                                                                      Modula PWB
                                                                                      Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                                      Natalie P Ultra
                                                                                      Natalie P Supreme
                                                                                      Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Renron
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • Jan 2008
                                                                                        • 750

Music Direct has the Kimber Kable 12tc 10' pair on sale for $830 + shipping.
                                                                                        I'm still trying to accept $15/ resistor. Ha! I'm just cheap at heart. But I will use the Bifilar resistors, Mundorf Supremes. Thanks again for the edumacation.
                                                                                        Ron
                                                                                        Ardent TS

Comment

• Renron
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • Jan 2008
                                                                                          • 750

Solarez UV cure Grain Filler

Here's a photo of different coatings on Sapele Pomelle.
                                                                                          On the left is General Finishes Arm R Seal on top of Solarez UV cure Grain filler (2 coats of grain sealer flat sanded to 600 grit) Dust nibs my fault.
                                                                                          Middle of the picture is just the flat sanded Solarez UV grain filler. It's a polyester BTW.
                                                                                          On the Right is 3 light coats of General Finishes Arm R Seal hand rubbed. It's a rubbing finish. No grain filler just Arm R Seal.

The crosshatch test for adhesion with the Arm R Seal on top of the Polyester grain filler was a complete failure. Success! That's why I'm testing. Ripped off in a big sheet. I now know that won't work. :E

The Solarez UV grain filler is neat stuff thou. I applied two coats within 15 minutes it was completely cured. It doesn't dry, it cures. Wiped on a coat with an old T shirt rag, let stand 5 minutes to level out, then exposed it to the sun for 10 seconds. Brought it back into the shade for 3 minutes to
                                                                                          offgas and then took it outside for ~2 minutes. Completely dry cured. Whoa.
                                                                                          Second coat went exactly the same way. Sanded flat to 600 grit and that's what you see. It sanded very easily without corn nubs on the sandpaper, just powder.
                                                                                          Now I'm not sold on this technology, but it is interesting...... Future tests to come.
                                                                                          I found many posts about this product on Luthier forums.
                                                                                          Ron

Name:	20160407_114010_resized (Small).jpg
Views:	841
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	861633
                                                                                          Last edited by theSven; 08 April 2023, 02:45 Saturday. Reason: Update image location
                                                                                          Ardent TS

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                                            Mad Max Moderator
                                                                                            • Aug 2000
                                                                                            • 15290

That does sound pretty amazing- thanks for bringing that to our attention!
                                                                                            the AudioWorx
                                                                                            Natalie P
                                                                                            M8ta
                                                                                            Modula Neo DCC
                                                                                            Modula MT XE
                                                                                            Modula Xtreme
                                                                                            Isiris
                                                                                            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                                            Minerva Monitor
                                                                                            Calliope
                                                                                            Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                                            Obi-Wan
                                                                                            Modula PWB
                                                                                            Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                                            Natalie P Ultra
                                                                                            Natalie P Supreme
                                                                                            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"