X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Clive
    Former Moderator
    • Jan 2002

Starting from scratch................

An empty room.........we need to decide on equipment for HT. What would you say is the best way to go about the purchases? All separates

Should we start with the TV/display first or the amplifier/DVD/speakers/wires
    Where should we start and why?
    CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?
  • Boombox
    • Oct 2005

I'm really starting from scratch....

Will love to get into the HT thing, and I'll follow the responses on this thread.....

I suggest the Harmon Kardon AVR240....is this going to be an "affordable" HT or a "dream" HT system...??
    Regards :T,

Boom....a.k.a...."The Box"

Comment

• Wick
      • Dec 2005

I recently got into Home Theater and went with the display first because you can use it without needing the others. I then picked up a DVD player and am now looking at surround sound. Has worked out well so far for me.
      Paul

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Looking at it pragmatically, in a theater room it does make sense to start with the display as that is the instrument that takes you into the film. Also, once you have the display, the rest of the video chain is relatively cost-effective to come by. Once you begin working on the auditory side of things, you'll be making multiple purchases that can easily equal or surpass the display in price. IMO, of course.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Clive
          Former Moderator
          • Jan 2002

Originally posted by Boombox
          I'm really starting from scratch....

Will love to get into the HT thing, and I'll follow the responses on this thread.....

...........is this going to be an "affordable" HT or a "dream" HT system...??
          Let's make it an affordable system at first. Let's also look at items that will affect sound and vision in a room.
          CLIVE

Comment

• grizz118
            • Jun 2006

Building First H/T System

Please pardon this long request. I am new to the H/T environment and seek some wise advise. I am moving to a new house in northwest Alabama and need to get a complete H/T system. I want to go with only 5.1 capability based on an older non HD type TV. I have a very large room to fill with surround sound. The room is 24 feet wide, 26 feet long, and the ceiling is 11.5 feet high. On the front wall is a bookcase that goes from the floor up 8 feet. In the center of this wall is the non HD 35 inch Sharp crt TV. The base of the TV is 63 inches up from the floor. The front speakers will be located 7 feet up from the floor (on a bookcase shelf) and about 12 feet left/right of the center of the TV. The center speaker will be 65 inches up from the floor and about 2 feet left of the TV center line. The 2 rear speakers will be mounted on the rear wall 8 feet up from the floor and almost in line with the 2 front speakers. The subwoofer will be located about 2 feet up from the floor and about 2 feet to the left of the TV centerline.
            Our use of this audio/video system is 50% tv from a satellite dish, 50% DVDs (50% music/50% movies).
            I also want to install 2 remote speakers that will be driven by this receiver only when the other speakers are not in use.

The equipment I am looking for is a receiver and 5 speakers. I will entertain the thought of buying refurbished, demo or new. If necessary, due to individual cost, I might have to buy the receiver first and then add the speakers. I am trying to keep the total cost below $2500.

Thanks

Comment

• Clive
              Former Moderator
              • Jan 2002

Hi Grizz118 Could you start a new thread with your question so we can deal with it on it's own. You will attract more attention that way :T

Thanks much!
              CLIVE

Comment

• dmclaugh
                • Jul 2006

Which components to buy first

The display is going to be where you'll want to spend alot of your money. Which type comes down to what you like to watch. If you're into TV and are stuck watching some standard broadcasts, then a plasma screen would be a good purchase. Plasma's are quite forgiving when it comes to standard definition television. If most of your viewing will be HDTV or DVD's, then any one of the other types of sets (including plasma) will do too. You probably already know about the whole story behind plasma vs. LCD vs. DLP so I won't go there.

Consider too a projector. If you want REAL home theater, then this is the way to go. Getting a projector will also force you to consider a projector screen. You can go expensive and you can go cheap; heck you can even forget about a projector for now entirely. You run into ambient light problems though so you'll have to take a trip to a high-end electronics store (forget about Best Buy and such) to test drive them.

Next I'd go with the sound system. If you're on a budget, or if you're just starting out, I would personally put more money into the speakers themselves than into the receiver. Why? Even the more modest all-in-one systems have features like independent volume control and sound focusing settings to let you tweak the listening experience. A more modest receiver with a good/powerful amp will drive good quality speakers and you'll be surprised. Later on, you can upgrade the reciever when new tech comes out anyways. A good speaker will always sound good.

A good POWERED subwoofer is also a good place to put your money. The amount of life and energy a sub can give is amazing and you'll never want to go back.

You can get really good speaker wire for less online. Monster is good, but you can find an equivalent cable (acoustic research for example) online for much less.
                Dennis McLaughlin - DIY Home Theater Design

Comment

• Alaric
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Jan 2006

You can get really good speaker wire for less online. Monster is good, but you can find an equivalent cable (acoustic research for example) online for much less
                  CAT Cables is an excellent source for very good quality cables. I'm extremely happy with mine.(interconnects) Quality per $ ratio is outstanding.
                  Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                  Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                  Schiit Modi 3
                  Marantz CD5005
                  Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Arneson
                    • Jan 2006

My starter TV is the rear projection, 60' Philips. About $1600.
                    It is large and not very fancy but it's solid and looks good.
                    I have a screen and projector here as well but I never bother with it, the Philips is easy.
                    Jim

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"