Found Scratch on Veneer!! Advice needed..

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scanido
    • Apr 2006

Found Scratch on Veneer!! Advice needed..

Hello all,

Today when doing some dusting i noticed a SCRATCH on the bottom left side of my right speaker. I did not notice this prior to today because i have never had my windows open fully and the lighting immediately made it apparent. I wish i thoroughly inspected them when i first got them. :M

I believe the scratch was not done by myself or anyone i live with because when i got the speakers about 8mo ago all i did was take them out of the box and place them in their positions. Also, the scratch is on the inside part closer to me stand which means no traffic would get to.

I'm beginning to believe they came like this from the factory because the scratch did not scratch white like i've seen on some other demo speakers, but looks scratched nonetheless.

Here's how it looks like, it's a lot more apparent in person and i could notice it about 2-3ft away. It's 3" in length.

I dont know what to do? This definitely bothers me and and i'm thinking i should go to the dealer to request a new pair, problem is i had them for 8mo. Is this asking too much? What would you do?

Thanks,
    Steve
  • Joey_V
    • Jul 2005

Steve,
    Keep us updated and good luck... man, I wouldnt know what to do, but I'll tell you what. I'd be pissed, too!

Joey
    Analog: VPI Scoutmaster w/ Steel Delrin clamp + Dynavector 20XH cart
    Digital: SB3 + PS Audio Digital Link III DAC
    System: Cary Audio SLP-98P Tube Preamplifier w/ Sylvanias -> Plinius SA102 Class A amplifier -> Martin Logan SUMMITS/Strata Minis -> 8O (me)

Comment

• Kobus
      • Aug 2005

Oops

If it was a scratch in the lacquer, there could be a fix, but this looks more like an ''indentation" in the wood.

And that is something that sanding will have to fix.

Really sorry about that.

Kobus

Comment

• dknightd
        • Mar 2006

I'd try not to look at it. After 8mo I would be shocked if your dealer gave you a new pair.

Comment

• scanido
          • Apr 2006

If the dealer would replace only one speaker would this be acceptable? I would think having a matching pair would be voiced together, as well, the veneer would be similar.

Basically what i'm asking is, would i be better off replacing both speakers or none at all?

Comment

• Race Car Driver
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

You will not be getting replacements from the dealer after 8 months.
            If it bothers you, sell them and buy new, or just live with it.

It sucks either way. But its not the end of the world, you will forget about it when you turn the volume up
            B&W

Comment

• Kobus
              • Aug 2005

Speakers don't come in matching pairs.

IF!!!!! they replace one, you would only have the run-in period to contend with, if that exists.

Good luck.

Kobus

Comment

• ejuanpiman
                • Nov 2006

live with it, niks and dings are sexy!

Comment

• Joey_V
                  • Jul 2005

Originally posted by ejuanpiman
                  They do give your speakers character... .
                  Analog: VPI Scoutmaster w/ Steel Delrin clamp + Dynavector 20XH cart
                  Digital: SB3 + PS Audio Digital Link III DAC
                  System: Cary Audio SLP-98P Tube Preamplifier w/ Sylvanias -> Plinius SA102 Class A amplifier -> Martin Logan SUMMITS/Strata Minis -> 8O (me)

Comment

• satchm0
                    • Jan 2007

Originally posted by ejuanpiman
                    I agree. Dude, turn the lights down and forget about it. The question you should ask yourself is, how do they sound?

Comment

• RobP
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Nov 2004

How about calling your dealer and just asking, whats the worse that can happen?
                      Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• bigburner
                        Super Senior Member
                        • May 2005

I used to worry about my beautiful Oregon floors, which are now very marked after numerous parties, dancing and general wear and tear. I call it "character".

I used to worry about my beautiful wooden dining table, which is made from a Kauri tree that was hundreds of years old when it was felled in the 1920s. It is now scratched, much worse than your speaker. I call it "good living".

I suggest you just enjoy your wonderful speakers and ignore that little scratch. The beauty of the sound FAR outweighs the ugliness of the scratch.

Comment

• chinets
                          • Jun 2005

When I bought my B&W speakers I had not noticed a similar indentation as you have, and by the time I was able to identify the scratch, 6 months have passed ,and I did not want to send them in to be sanded down and get a different colour compared to my matching other speaker. I just forgot about it and enjoyed the music instead. It is bound to happen one day ,so be happy that it is ONLY a scratch and not a blown tweeter or some other NASTY damage that would spoil your listening sessions. Just live with it like I did ,and YES they do give your speakers some character. Battle scars are very sexy ,and just be grateful that your speakers are working fine and giving you wonderful sound. Things can be worse in life ,so be happy with what you have ,and thank GOD this is nothing compared to other problems people have with their equipment or speakers. Hope that makes you feel a bit better.
                          Good Luck and Cheers.
                          Life is full of scratches and bruises, but as long as they heal ,then you are among the lucky few!!! SMILE and ENJOY life!!!

Comment

• scanido
                            • Apr 2006

Thanks so much everyone! All your comments and suggestions definitely makes me feel better!

It's good to know some others have experienced the same thing and ended up enjoying the speakers for what there for. I'm now thinking of the scratch as a "Birth-Mark" straight from the factory! It also helps knowing i can now identify which speaker from the other.

Just for my curiosity, I'll bring up the issue with my dealer and hear what they have to say. I wont expect anything anymore.

Well, If it wasn't for this forum i'd probably do something stupid and sell them or trade them in for speakers i really can't afford (took me a year to buy these 804s). Overtime I'll forget about it and just enjoy my speakers.

Thanks again folks!

Cheers,
                            Steve

Comment

• ejuanpiman
                              • Nov 2006

that a boy! thats what were here for support and share information.

Comment

• PewterTA
                                • Nov 2004

So is now the time we do a big group hug?!?!

Enjoy the music and... "scratches happen."
                                Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                                -Dan

Comment

• chinets
                                  • Jun 2005

What a happy family...WE ARE !!!!
                                  Smile and the forum smiles with you!!
                                  Cheers

Comment

• marcelhold
                                    • Oct 2006

Hi Scanido,

I know your worries have mostly passed about the indentation in the veneer... if the aesthetics of it (still?) bother you, can you maybe swap the Left and Right speaker round (obviously re-wiring so you don't swap L and R channels), so at least you can't easily see it?
                                    Just a thought...

Marcel

Comment

• scanido
                                      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by marcelhold
                                      Hi Scanido,

I know your worries have mostly passed about the indentation in the veneer... if the aesthetics of it (still?) bother you, can you maybe swap the Left and Right speaker round (obviously re-wiring so you don't swap L and R channels), so at least you can't easily see it?
                                      Just a thought...

Marcel
                                      Thanks for the suggestion marcelhold. The scratch is only visible when i have strong lighting in the room i.e; if i open all windows. Most of the time i cannot see it from my listening position. It's mainly a psychological feeling i need to get over with.

Comment

• marcelhold
                                        • Oct 2006

Originally posted by scanido
                                        Thanks for the suggestion marcelhold. The scratch is only visible when i have strong lighting in the room i.e; if i open all windows. Most of the time i cannot see it from my listening position. It's mainly a psychological feeling i need to get over with.
                                        I get you drift... I'm the same - Got two pairs of DM610i (ten years old now but they still serve me very well...) and I can't stand even scratching the underside (!) when I move them.
                                        Rather sad, but true :roll:

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"