X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • froggyoggy
    • Apr 2006

maximum toslink & s-video cable length

Hi there....

this is my 1st post, so please bear with me whilst I explain.

I enjoy watching DVD/Divx movies, but have become sick of downloading them on my pc and then burning them to dvds in order to watch them on my Home Theatre System.

Its a long and boring process and the time has come for me to connect my pc directly to the TV & Amp. The only problem is that my PC is in the LOFT, 3 floors up and my TV/Amp are located on the ground floor (approx 25 metres distance).

I've attached a picture below to show you the layout.

I would like to know if I moved the pc slightly closer, so that the distance is approx 50ft away, is it possible to using a 50 foot toslink cable and a 25m s-video cable to output the DTS sound to my amp and the S-VIDEO to my TV?

If so, will the quality of the output be affected much? ie will the video be jerky or sound cutout in anyway?

If you think that this is a bad idea, then what method would you recommend I use instead?

Your help is much appreciated

Thanks

Froggyoggy
    Attached Files
  • Fishy
    • Jul 2004

I'm using 10m toslink and s-video cables to go from my satelite box to my processor.

Only issue is lipsync.

Fish

Comment

• froggyoggy
      • Apr 2006

thanks for your reply fishy....so you've setup your sat box as the input and the pc as the output? If so, could it be down to your pc? Have you tried switching the otheyway, ie from your pc to tv?

If lipsync was a problem due to the length, then surely they wouldn't even bother making such lengthy cables, or am i wrong?

Comment

• Audiophiliac
        • Apr 2006

Nice is an industry leader of home automation solutions.

Nice is an industry leader of home automation solutions.

One of each of those. They work well.

Comment

• Azeke
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2003

Welcome to the forum Froggyoggy.

Just a couple of quick thoughts:

1) I would utilize a Toslink Amplifier/Repeater for that particular distance.

2) S-Video run should be fine.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• froggyoggy
            • Apr 2006

Thankyou for welcoming me Azeke...I must say its a great forum. I have looked into this toslink amplifier/repeater and can only find those which amplify upto 20 metres...i prefer to have upto 25 metres.

Audiophiliac - Thanks for those links mate...only one problem...I forgot to mention I'm from UK..so those won't be much use to me unless I can get them in the UK? SORRY!

regards

Froggyoggy

Comment

• Fishy
              • Jul 2004

Froggyoggy, I use the toslink for audio only from the satelite to AV processor, no pc.

Then have an s-video from the AV processor to the screen.

Fish

Comment

• froggyoggy
                • Apr 2006

sorry to sound stupid fishy mate, but what is an AV PROCESSOR?

Comment

• sirbogey
                  • Mar 2006

Audio Video Processor. You either have an audio video processor and an amplifier as your home theater "engine" or a receiver. The receiver includes the processor and the amplifier and a tuner (normally). 8)

Comment

• whoaru99
                    • Jul 2004

Something you may want to consider is to get a toslink>spdif converter and a spdif>toslink converter.

Toslink cables are relatively expensive compared to coax. The cost of the shorter toslinks, two converters, and long coax may be cheaper than two long toslink cables and a booster/amplifier. Just something to consider...

If you are concerned about the S-video, there are breakout adapters available that come out from the gear in normal S-video connectors and then transition to connectors that allow you to span the long distance with full-sized coax, then adapt back down to the normal S-video connection at the other end.
                    There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• froggyoggy
                      • Apr 2006

thanks whoaru99..will look into this.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"