X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nikos
    • Dec 2005

Subwoofer cable questions?

I just purchased a JL Audio F113 subwoofer....

The Coolcat Subwoofer Cable looks nice... I have few questions though that hopefully Lex or the rest of you can chime in and inform me...

Would a subwoofer cable benefit from a silver cable vs copper?
    (I listen to strictly electronic music with fast, continuous bass, plus HT)

My Rotel 1057 does not have a XLR... but the subwoofer does.
    I have seen other manufacturers do a RCA to XLR, which If I understand correctly is not balanced...
    Would there be a benefit from a RCA to XLR ic cable? If so, Lex is this something that you would be interested in doing? I also don't want this to double/triple the budget either....

Any of you using the Coolcat Subwoofer cable? Is it better to use 2 of them with a Y or is the second unecessary...

What kind of cable do you guys use to find the sweet spot for the sub before you spend the cash on the right length cable?

Any other advice on the subwoofer ic is welcome...

Nikos
    Classe SSP-800, Classe CA-5200, B&W 803D, B&W HTM2D, JL Audio Fathom f113 Subwoofer, Rotel RMB-1077(for sale), Oppo DV-983H, Panasonic PT-AE900U Xbox360, Sony PS3, Samsung 8000 Series 55" LCD, Klipsch promedia 5.1 ultra for PC
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

I have heard some people say silver for their sub did increase the dB slightly, it can also optimize transmission so that it sounds a little crisper, cleaner when called upon. Silver can improve bass performance, so it's not just for highs.

As to splitter to plug both inputs? I used to hear that this was a + gain to plug both inputs, but I am not so sure this is true really... I mean 2 subs playing at same volume vs one is typically only a +3 dB gain, so how much are you realistically going to get varying inputs on 1 sub?

I have done splitters, but they are a pain, and I have to charge for it.

Doug
    CAT
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• DrJRapp
      Super Senior Member
      • Apr 2003

While on the topic of subwoofer cables..I'd like to hear Doug's opinion on the use of a digital cable for a sub. I've been told by an installer that the two can be used interchangeably.
      Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• Burke Strickland
        • Sep 2001

I'd like to hear Doug's opinion on the use of a digital cable for a sub. I've been told by an installer that the two can be used interchangeably.
        I doubt that a digital cable could take the place of a sub. (Or vice versa.) ;>)

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2006

I'd like to know what makes a sub cable a sub cable.

Kal
          Kal Rubinson

Comment

• Club1820
            • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson

Kal
            Yes, so would I. What's the difference between a "normal" interconnect and one labeled/sold as for a sub?
            Rotel 1068, Rotel 1060, Rotel 1055, Rotel 1095, Rotel 956, Rotel RLC-1040, M&K VX-860 Sub, Whatmough M30s, Squeezebox 3

Comment

• Alaric
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Jan 2006

I'm gonna take a WAG and say impedance , and possibly metallurgic composition relating to frequency transmission.
              Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
              Marantz PM-KI Pearl
              Schiit Modi 3
              Marantz CD5005
              Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Alaric
                I'm gonna take a WAG and say impedance , and possibly metallurgic composition relating to frequency transmission.
                :roll:

Kal
                Kal Rubinson

Comment

• Nolan B
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Sep 2005

I could be wrong but im pretty sure a 75 ohm Coax cable can be used for the following and there is nothing "different" about a cable which is "designed" for one or the other:

Component Video
                  Sub
                  Digital Coax
                  Interconnect between pre and pro
                  Composite video
                  The list goes on...

I think the only different is the way they are marketed. Doug?

Comment

• Victor
                    • Apr 2002

Originally posted by Alaric
                    From a purely engineering perspective there is absolutely no way to design a cable that might be specifically designated for subwoofer applications.

Comment

• chrispy35
                      • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson

Kal
                      1 connector at each end instead of 2?? Oh yeah, the writing on the package as well.

Comment

• Lex
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Apr 2001

ok cable naysayers, no smart piffy comebacks from me on what is a sub cable. I call my sub cable a sub cable, because 1. I sell them individually, 2. We focus on the value side of analog pricing because a sub cable generally is not rocket science, it benefits from good shielding, and a durable cable because people tend to move them around more. End of story.

Does that mean you can't benefit from a higher quality cable, not necessarily. I do think a quality interconnect is a positive. At times, our sub cable has been half a pair of Blue Tigers in reality, but if you check, the pricing wasn't far off buying only one cable. A little yes, due to cost of doing business for a single cable rises some.

But I have never participated in voodoo marketing for subwoofer cables. It's just good quality cablenomics. (hey, new word, Copyright)
                        Doug
                        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Lex
                          ok cable naysayers, no smart piffy comebacks from me on what is a sub cable. I call my sub cable a sub cable, because 1. I sell them individually, 2. We focus on the value side of analog pricing because a sub cable generally is not rocket science, it benefits from good shielding, and a durable cable because people tend to move them around more. End of story.

Does that mean you can't benefit from a higher quality cable, not necessarily. I do think a quality interconnect is a positive. At times, our sub cable has been half a pair of Blue Tigers in reality, but if you check, the pricing wasn't far off buying only one cable. A little yes, due to cost of doing business for a single cable rises some.

But I have never participated in voodoo marketing for subwoofer cables. It's just good quality cablenomics. (hey, new word, Copyright)
                          Thanks for the cogent and serious reply.

Kal
                          Kal Rubinson

Comment

• nikos
                            • Dec 2005

Thanks for everyone's input especially Dougs!

One item not touched...

"My Rotel 1057 does not have a XLR... but the subwoofer does.
                            I have seen other manufacturers do a RCA to XLR cable, which If I understand correctly is not balanced...
                            Would there be a benefit from a RCA to XLR interconect cable?"

Anybody with experience on running a cable that has RCA on one end and XLR on the other? What is the benefit of the XLR to RCA if its not balanced? (not that I REALLY know the difference if it is balanced either ops: )

Thanks again,

Nikos
                            Classe SSP-800, Classe CA-5200, B&W 803D, B&W HTM2D, JL Audio Fathom f113 Subwoofer, Rotel RMB-1077(for sale), Oppo DV-983H, Panasonic PT-AE900U Xbox360, Sony PS3, Samsung 8000 Series 55" LCD, Klipsch promedia 5.1 ultra for PC

Comment

• NonSense
                              • Nov 2003

I believe that a conversion from RCA to XLR requires a transformer, or some other impedance matching network.

Cardas used to sell an adaptor, but they were about $50/pr.

I don't see the advantage, unless this is your only option.
                              Bruce

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Mar 2006

Originally posted by NonSense
                                I believe that a conversion from RCA to XLR requires a transformer, or some other impedance matching network.
                                Not necessarily. If you are using a typically very low impedance source into a 600ohm load and not using an impedance-specified 600ohm balanced connection all the way, there's probably no need. Just a physical adapter will do. Going from balanced to SE, you might argue that the source should see a balanced 600ohm load, so a transformer might be advantageous there.

Cardas used to sell an adaptor, but they were about $50/pr.
                                Yes, the Cardas adapters work fine, as do the Kubala-Sosna ones I had made. It's not magic.
                                Kal Rubinson

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"