• Jul 2004

bi-wire and cable choice/length?

My setup is as follows.

Amplifier: Marantz SR5200
    Centre: LCR60
    Front L & R: 602s3
    Rears L & R: 601s3
    and a 3rd party sub (rca connected)

at the moment the fronts and centre are bi-wired using the following grade cable.

High conductivity, very low loss OFC (Oxygen Free Copper) cable
    Ultra flex translucent PVC insulation
    Parallel Fig 8 flex
    Suitable for high⁄medium to high power installations
    Conductors = 168 x 0.12mm
    Cross-sectional area: 1.9mm²
    Nominal capacitance: 60pF⁄m

I'll will be needing to replace the rear speaker cable with a longer run to reposition the speakers. With the following resonably priced cable.

For those who wants top quality speaker cable.
    - Figure 8, 259 0.12mm strands in each side.
    - DC resistance 0.003 ohms per foot.
    - Inductance 0.23uH per foot.

I was wondering is it worth bi-wiring the rear speakers? And what idealy would be the maximum length of the speaker cable recommended for Home Theatre Setups? Also do youi think the cable I hose suitable grade for the speakers I have? or are there different grades depend on how the speakers sound or iwould I not realy notice much diffenence in cable types?
  • jrd
    • Dec 2003

The Standard Answer--It Depends!

I've got almost the identical setup--602S3 up front biwired with 14AWG Tributaries cable and the LCR60S3 has 10 AWG [brand deleted by admin] Biwire, but I skimped on the rears (601S3) a bit since I don't own the house and had to run the cables around the perimeter of the room. Got two 50-foot runs of 10 AWG cable at avcable.com and they're not biwired. Now, this thread could stretch to 1,000 posts and we would be no closer to a consensus on whether different cables make a difference. Some swear the differences are huge, some folks with a whole lot more electrical engineering knowledge than I have (like those at [Link deleted by Admin due to non supported site by htguide referenence.]firmly contend there is little to no difference between cable. I guess I'm somewhere in the middle, but probably a bit closer to the camp of not much difference, especially for the price. I don't believe a $1,000 cable sounds $900 better than a $100 cable. At least, it's not worth that much of a difference to me. What little I know is this--if you really need to do a long run to your rears, generally the thicker the cable, the better. If it's a really thin cable, the resistance really increases the longer the cable run is, and you should try to keep the resistance down. As far as length, many folks will say that if you can keep it to under 50 feet, the choice of cable is not too critical. I also know B&W recommends bi-wiring all their speakers and this issue is as contentious as the cable issue. The rears are usually not as critical because they're just producing the surround effects in your HT, but adding a bunch of SACDs to your collection would make them more important.

Comment

• KRC
      • Aug 2004

I have the LCR 60 S3 and ran it with [brand deleted by admin], most would say this is a waste and I agree with the above that there could be a 1000 posts with an opinion. I bi-wired this speaker with a 9 foot run and it made a huge difference. I also use 32 and 37 feet of xxxx [admin deletion] for the DM 600 S3 in the rears and they also sound great.

Comment

• DanR
        • Dec 2004

I bi-wire with [brand deleted by admin].4s at 8 feet and am very pleased with the setup. B&W 801 Series 3 fed by a Rotel RB-1090.
        :B It's all about the MUSIC!!!

Comment

• aarsoe
          • May 2004

People

Read the rules on cables - before you start a thread like this...
          This is after all a sponsered site..

Comment

• Lex
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Apr 2001

You will note that the original poster didn't ask what cables you use, he asked a general question that would be allowed in the right forum. In audio, a general question like this would have been fine. "Five flavors" answers not asked for are not fine.

Locked.
            Doug
            "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"