X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

Hi-Res (24/96Khz) Audio Nirvana

I just thought I'd share my experiences now that I've gotten my setup one step closer to finalized... if there is such a thing.

I just picked up these little beauties:

Musical Fidelity V-Link, Wireworld UltraViolet USB Cable, aMG USB Isolator, and a nice new Lifetec Silflex Glass TosLink Cable to output 24/96Khz music into my Cambridge Audio 840c which upconverts it even more to 24/384Khz.

The sound that is coming out of my system now (only about 10hrs into the V-Link "break in" and it's blowing my mind on everything I listen to.

I did have all of my music ripped onto my server (mostly EAC with Accurip, secure ripping) as various .cue/.bin, .cue/.wav, and .nrg files that I mount as the disc and then output the audio via Foobar2000 through ASIO4ALL keeping it "bit-perfect" to the 840c. The funny thing is everything is converted up to 24bit and for some reason it DOES sound better than the CD running through the 840c. So there is something about transporting the data correctly and accurately. I'm guessing the CDP transport in the 840c is it's weak link. I wish Cambridge Audio had just made a DAC with the same as what's in the 840c (Magic Dac isn't the same DAC). ;x(

I also have a bunch of Vinyl LPs ripped in 24/96KHz as well and they sound amazing and definitely keep their "vinyl sound."

I was just curious if anyone else has explored this way of getting the music to your system...?

For the cost (minus the 840c) this is a pretty cheap way to enhance the music coming from any digital source!!!

I was going to go with the Halide Bridge, but the cost difference (~$300) I decided against it and I'm definitely 100% happy with the Musical Fidelity V-Link.

I'll have to write up a real review once I get time.

What's funny is I can tell the difference now between a plastic TosLink and glass cable as WELL as the Wireworld UltraViolet USB and any generic USB I have.

The real magic though I have to say is the aMG USB Isolator... It increased the 3D depth in my system immensly. I have B&W speakers which are known for being forward sounding speakers and the soundstage has been pushed back to the speakers and beyond. Now I can't WAIT for Jon Marsh to finish the Ardents so WKHanna and I can build them!!!!! :B
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Pay attention, guys. What Dan has got going on here is V special & ridiculously affordable relative to the performance gain. ;x(

When Dan first got the HiRes up and running, it was via his PS3 through to the 840c. He demoed HiRes files for me that had been ripped from some vinyl played on systems with V respectable equipment. I am fairly familiar with Dan’s system & am sure it never sounded as good on 2-ch playback as it did that day. :T

Now with the upgrades he has made in data delivery pipeline, I can’t wait to hear it! :E

I love my vinyl, and always will, but this configuration that Dan has come up with is the ‘real deal’ and in my estimation, the future for storage & playback on mid & HiFi systems. It won’t be long before I incorporate a similar set-up into my system (with a lot technical help from Dan, of course).

I currently have the CA 640 v2 CDp which does not have an input that will allow me to use its DAC. So the next item on my list is finding an up-sampling DAC. At that point I will be ripping my vinyl to digital. The performance benchmark will be when I can play a digitized copy of an LP made from my own analog set-up & not be able to distinguish it from the original analog playback. :B
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• madmac
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2010

Originally posted by wkhanna
      Pay attention, guys. What Dan has got going on here is V special & ridiculously affordable relative to the performance gain. ;x(

When Dan first got the HiRes up and running, it was via his PS3 through to the 840c. He demoed HiRes files for me that had been ripped from some vinyl played on systems with V respectable equipment. I am fairly familiar with Dan’s system & am sure it never sounded as good on 2-ch playback as it did that day. :T

Now with the upgrades he has made in data delivery pipeline, I can’t wait to hear it! :E

I love my vinyl, and always will, but this configuration that Dan has come up with is the ‘real deal’ and in my estimation, the future for storage & playback on mid & HiFi systems. It won’t be long before I incorporate a similar set-up into my system (with a lot technical help from Dan, of course).

I currently have the CA 640 v2 CDp which does not have an input that will allow me to use its DAC. So the next item on my list is finding an up-sampling DAC. At that point I will be ripping my vinyl to digital. The performance benchmark will be when I can play a digitized copy of an LP made from my own analog set-up & not be able to distinguish it from the original analog playback. :B

I'm sorry but I don't get this whole concept of converting Vinyl to digital?. I mean, if digital is so bad (Which by far it is NOT!!) to the vinyl crowd, why the hell would you want to convert it to that format?. A good digital recording is way better than anything analog or vinyl....period!. Sorry, please don't flame me too much!!.
      Dan Madden :T

Comment

• wkhanna
        • Jan 2006

If you actually read the post as opposed to trolling it, you will see the subject matter is about the implementation of HiRes Digital, not a comparison of analog vs digital.

I would prefer we keep this thread on topic as Dan will be providing some detailed information about implementing HiRes into your system & the effects of specific components within the data stream pipeline. At the worst it will be interesting reading, at best it will help save hundreds of dollars for those who are trying to get the best that the HiRes format has to offer.

If you wish to banter on regarding analog & digital, may I respectfully request that you please do so by starting your own thread.

Regards,
        _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Hdale85
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

Oh it's a normal thing for him Bill, not the first time he's trolled about vinyl vs digital.

Comment

• madmac
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2010

Trolled it???. Hummm??..... Well.... I have my have my opinion on certain discussions within this forum. I don't Troll.....I merely read the whole thread and discussion and add my opinion to it. Sorry guys....I'll leave you to this thread and your opinions. Sorry for bothering you.
            Dan Madden :T

Comment

• wkhanna
              • Jan 2006

Madmac,

Your opinion is every bit as valid as mine (& you know what they say about opinions :W ).
              Your's is always welcome.
              I simply & humbly ask it be kept relative to the topic of Dan’s thread.

Best Regards,
              Last edited by wkhanna; 09 May 2011, 23:20 Monday. Reason: "your's "channged from "it"
              _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Johnloudb
                Super Senior Member
                • May 2007

Originally posted by madmac
                I'm sorry but I don't get this whole concept of converting Vinyl to digital?
                Often digital recordings are remastered poorly and are dynamically compressed among other things. I have some recordings on LP that are far superior to the CD release. I've also been looking into converting my good LP recordings to high resolution digital.

Originally posted by PewterTA
                I also have a bunch of Vinyl LPs ripped in 24/96KHz as well and they sound amazing and definitely keep their "vinyl sound."
                How did you go about ripping the LPs to digital? I've looked at some inexpensive portable PCM recorders that will record up to 24bit/96kHz.
                John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• mjb
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2005

To get back on topic....
                  Originally posted by PewterTA
                  I just picked up these little beauties:

Musical Fidelity V-Link, Wireworld UltraViolet USB Cable, aMG USB Isolator, and a nice new Lifetec Silflex Glass TosLink Cable to output 24/96Khz music into my Cambridge Audio 840c which upconverts it even more to 24/384Khz.
                  Do you notice a difference with the "aMG USB Isolator" in or out of circuit?
                  - Mike

Main System:
                  B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                  Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• wkhanna
                    • Jan 2006

Originally posted by mjb
                    To get back on topic....
                    Do you notice a difference with the "aMG USB Isolator" in or out of circuit?
                    This is the dongle which isolates the USB ground from the storage devise: link

According to Dan, “The real magic though I have to say is the aMG USB Isolator... It increased the 3D depth in my system immensely. I have B&W speakers which are known for being forward sounding speakers and the soundstage has been pushed back to the speakers and beyond.”

And from an earlier email to me from Dan, “……add in the aMG USB Isolator and WOW. My sound stage has been pushed BEHIND my speakers. And for this to do that with B&W speakers… OMG.”

Some previous reviews can be found here: link
                    _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"