Another Anthology Build :)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rick844
    • Jun 2019

Just checked mine. They too are about 2 inches away from the magnet. I bought the kit from menescus so they likely sized them as intended.

Comment

• 707kevin
      • Oct 2010

Would there be any harm in doing a 1/2" roundover on the mid tunnel exits? Then trimming the foam back 1/2"

I'll be using roundover as a design element for the finish, and would like to do this if there is no detrimental reason not to?

Comment

• Jim Holtz
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by 707kevin
        Would there be any harm in doing a 1/2" roundover on the mid tunnel exits? Then trimming the foam back 1/2"

I'll be using roundover as a design element for the finish, and would like to do this if there is no detrimental reason not to?
        That won't be a problem. :T

Jim

Comment

• 707kevin
          • Oct 2010

Removed all the drivers last night to start finishing this weekend (I hope)

I finally found feet! I need to be able to move these from non-optimal "just watching the news" position to "ok, let's listen!" position on the regular. Spikes are a no go, and flat bottom speakers float on the thick carpet too much / tilt to one side, etc..
          These are 2" wide, shallow cone shape, 5/16 threaded hole on a 1" base. Should be plenty strong enough, should slide on the carpet, and just tall enough to give the speakers that floating above the ground look. Really nice Morton machine shop knobs. Usually around 15 to 20 bucks each, I found a surplus seller on ebay with a pack of 14 for $50, so the sub woofer will get matching feet now too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200820_171357.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	865618

Comment

• rick844
            • Jun 2019

Nice. I wish I had a room specific for home theater and music listening that had carpet. Since I have tile, I used heavy duty black rubber feet. Speakers look like they are floating as well and very stable.

Comment

• 707kevin
              • Oct 2010

Like I said - Slowest build ever, ha!

First spot / glaze putty coat with one coat of primer sanded rough to 220. I'll sand to 400 on the veneer application surfaces. I'm using PSA veneer, so this surface prep should adhere very well. Then I'll pick out imperfections, glaze, block sand, and prime again, and maybe again on the paint application surfaces. Paint will be satin white. I do the typical spray, wet sand, spray, wet sand, final spray. When all goes well the final spray lays down perfectly. Satin is forgiving.

I'm really liking the complimentary roundovers (front sides, back top/bottom)

Name:	IMG_20200920_171047.jpg
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	865687

I got my walnut veneer for the front & sides finally! (this part legitimately worries me...)

Name:	PXL_20200926_041725257.jpg
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	865688

Comment

• rick844
                • Jun 2019

Curious why all the effort on the mdf if you are veneering? The veneer will hide quite a bit. Be worried, very worried about the veneer around the rounded edges. I found that the more sap lines, the easier it was to wrap. I had a few blemishes, but sanding and colored pencils helped hide those.

Comment

• 707kevin
                  • Oct 2010

Originally posted by rick844
                  Curious why all the effort on the mdf if you are veneering? The veneer will hide quite a bit. Be worried, very worried about the veneer around the rounded edges. I found that the more sap lines, the easier it was to wrap. I had a few blemishes, but sanding and colored pencils helped hide those.
                  I hear ya - right or wrong it's because I bought PSA veneer, which will stick so much better to a smooth sealed surface. And because I already needed to fill and prime the painted sides, so another three cans of primer is an easy way to seal it up and give me a 400 grit smooth surface for the PSA veneer. And because I know paint prep far better than I know veneer prep, for whatever that's worth So I figured instead of buying sealer and learning something new, I'd stick with what I know and just do it.

Oh, trust me, I am legitimately frightened of the entire veneer process! The sample I have was able to wrap around a sharpie pen without splitting, so I hope hope hope I don't have a bad spot along the way and 3/4r will be fine. You scaring me now! ha! :E

Comment

• Steve Manning
                    • Dec 2006

Sealing the joints and surface is a good idea, it will help reduce potential joint telegraphing down the road. Also, you could use some of this to help with cracking when you apply the veneer around the radius. https://www.veneersupplies.com/produ...nditioner.html I think this is typically used on raw veneer, but I think it couldn't hurt. This website in general, is pretty good for all kinds of questions you might have.
                    Hold on to your butts - It's about to get Musical!

Comment

• Mikerodrig27
                      • Feb 2015

Wouldn't you have to seal the inside as well?

Comment

• 1Michael
                        • Sep 2006

You do not want to seal the inside of the box, unless you want the wood to possibly rot...
                        Michael
                        Chesapeake Va.

Comment

• rick844
                          • Jun 2019

Lol, my father in law who does woodworking for many years thought I was nuts. I only did it cause I thought it would look good and I didn't know better. But, I did test as you described on test material to see of it would roll without splitting. It did, but again, the more sap vane the better it rolls. I had some hard spots on one sheet that split or wouldnt roll over. Lesson learned, but overall I'm they came out good.

Comment

• rick844
                            • Jun 2019

I don't really think that is true. With dry mdf in a house, sealed should not be an issue at all.

Comment

• rick844
                              • Jun 2019

Originally posted by 1Michael
                              You do not want to seal the inside of the box, unless you want the wood to possibly rot...
                              Originally posted by Mikerodrig27
                              Wouldn't you have to seal the inside as well?
                              I think so. I did as well with mine.

Comment

• 707kevin
                                • Oct 2010

Alright.

Applying 4ft wide veneer is ... nerve racking. My awesome wife helped, and her end turn out better than my end! Worked from one side to the other wrapping around. Scraped with as much pressure as I could without damaging the veneer with a 1x3 with a smoothed edge to work out any bubble, and ensure good adhesion. Then scraped again 30 minutes later. I'll do a natural oil finish, no tint, with some sanding while wet on the final coats to hopefully fill the grain in smooth and buff to a satin finish.

Rear, terminal posts installed, port tube installed.

Name:	PXL_20201005_053833516.jpg
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	865709

Front, used a low profile laminate trim bit. It was short enough to trim veneer around the tweeter even.

Name:	PXL_20201005_052719818.jpg
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	865708

Top. Trimming the curves was a pain. Use a new blade any time you are about to do a difficult cut across the grain, then make multiple passed to score first.

Name:	PXL_20201005_052526121.jpg
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	865707

Comment

• rick844
                                  • Jun 2019

Alright.

Applying 4ft wide veneer is ... nerve racking. My awesome wife helped, and her end turn out better than my end! Worked from one side to the other wrapping around. Scraped with as much pressure as I could without damaging the veneer with a 1x3 with a smoothed edge to work out any bubble, and ensure good adhesion. Then scraped again 30 minutes later. I'll do a natural oil finish, no tint, with some sanding while wet on the final coats to hopefully fill the grain in smooth and buff to a satin finish.

Rear, terminal posts installed, port tube installed.
                                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]30753[/ATTACH]

Front, used a low profile laminate trim bit. It was short enough to trim veneer around the tweeter even.
                                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]30752[/ATTACH]

Top. Trimming the curves was a pain. Use a new blade any time you are about to do a difficult cut across the grain, then make multiple passed to score first.
                                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]30751[/ATTACH]
                                  Dude, looks sharp! Your finish came out nicer than mine. Well done. Having done it, would you do it again? Also, how did the wood react? Did it fight in the corners on the ends? I used about 15 razor blades to trim mine. Very nerve racking and painstaking.

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • Mar 2005

Very, very Nice! :T

Jim

Comment

• rick844
                                      • Jun 2019

Originally posted by Jim Holtz
                                      Very, very Nice! :T

Jim
                                      Hey Jim, curious. Did you guys ever design a center channel to match the anthology's?

Comment

• 707kevin
                                        • Oct 2010

Dude, looks sharp! Your finish came out nicer than mine. Well done. Having done it, would you do it again? Also, how did the wood react? Did it fight in the corners on the ends? I used about 15 razor blades to trim mine. Very nerve racking and painstaking.
                                        Curves. Are. A. Pain.

Prep, sanding, everything was just so much more work.

Painting, you try to move from horizontal to vertical surfaces in one coat so it blends nice. (not so worried about the bottom) This is tough. Then you think you're all good and realize you need another coat to make it better. But now a new flaw pops up. IT'S GOOD ENOUGH! lol

Wrap around veneering, it just adds so much difficulty in order to not get any bubbles and a perfect wrap. I only had a margin of 1/4" top to bottom on the veneer as we wrapped it around.

I'm conflicted. Having done it and see the results now I can't imagine doing flat, square, plain boxes again. Also having done it, I don't really want to do it again, ever :E I can also see ways I could do it better though. It didn't help that I dragged it out so long. Every step was like motivating myself to start a project again. Lost momentum is a killer on something like this.

Comment

• rick844
                                          • Jun 2019

Curves. Are. A. Pain.

Prep, sanding, everything was just so much more work.

Painting, you try to move from horizontal to vertical surfaces in one coat so it blends nice. (not so worried about the bottom) This is tough. Then you think you're all good and realize you need another coat to make it better. But now a new flaw pops up. IT'S GOOD ENOUGH! lol

Wrap around veneering, it just adds so much difficulty in order to not get any bubbles and a perfect wrap. I only had a margin of 1/4" top to bottom on the veneer as we wrapped it around.

I'm conflicted. Having done it and see the results now I can't imagine doing flat, square, plain boxes again. Also having done it, I don't really want to do it again, ever :E I can also see ways I could do it better though. It didn't help that I dragged it out so long. Every step was like motivating myself to start a project again. Lost momentum is a killer on something like this.
                                          Couldn't agree more. My next project dual subs will likely be out of Baltic birch so I won't have to veneer. Once I finish it, if I decide to veneer anyways, then maybe I will. But I'm hoping to finish the Baltic so I won't need veneer.

Something else I had to keep telling myself. Nobody is going to see the defects that I know exist. So, basically don't sweat small imperfections.

Comment

• 707kevin
                                            • Oct 2010

I already tore apart my sub and bought a sheet of MDF to make a new matching box....I don't want to. But...I feel like I have to now.

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                              • Mar 2005

Hey Jim, curious. Did you guys ever design a center channel to match the anthology's?
                                              Actually, the Finalist or the Statements II centers match so well, we've never seen a reason to develop any other designs. I use a Statements II center in my system which has been matched up with Anthology's, Finalists, Travelers, Statements II's and Bordeaux. I found them all to be seamless in integration and panning. Common voicing is the key, IMHO.

HTH

Jim

Comment

• rick844
                                                • Jun 2019

Actually, the Finalist or the Statements II centers match so well, we've never seen a reason to develop any other designs. I use a Statements II center in my system which has been matched up with Anthology's, Finalists, Travelers, Statements II's and Bordeaux. I found them all to be seamless in integration and panning. Common voicing is the key, IMHO.

HTH

Jim
                                                Thanks Jim. After I figure out my subwoofer situation, I will be looking to upgrade at center.

Comment

• rick844
                                                  • Jun 2019

HTH

Jim
                                                  Both of those seem to have ribbon tweeters. Does that blend with the anthology dome tweeters?

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                    • Mar 2005

Both of those seem to have ribbon tweeters. Does that blend with the anthology dome tweeters?
                                                    The Statements II center does, the Finalist doesn't. It has a Morel dome. The center channel rules in a surround system and carries up to 70% of the sound by anchoring the main sound to the screen. The mains are effects channels and provide panning and "fill" sound for the movie. The tweeter plays a much smaller role than when you listen to music. The key is the voicing is the same for all the speakers.

This is not a SWAG, I listen to them every day.

HTH

Jim

Comment

• rick844
                                                      • Jun 2019

The Statements II center does, the Finalist doesn't. It has a Morel dome. The center channel rules in a surround system and carries up to 70% of the sound by anchoring the main sound to the screen. The mains are effects channels and provide panning and "fill" sound for the movie. The tweeter plays a much smaller role than when you listen to music. The key is the voicing is the same for all the speakers.

This is not a SWAG, I listen to them every day.

HTH

Jim
                                                      Ah, the photo on meniscus shows a ribbon but it does have the morel tweeter in the parts list. This is what I have now per your help and working with selah to convert my existing center as a sealed solution due to my entertainment center limitations. It sounds good, but can sound boxy at times likely due to the fact that I can't take it out and let it breathe. I have considered changing that configuration so maybe that will be next after I solve my sub situation.

Sorry to hijack OP.

Thanks again Jim.

Comment

• 707kevin
                                                        • Oct 2010

Here's the final. First one done. After the white paint is fully hardened in a month or so, I'll buff it out and it should brighten up a bit.

Name:	PXL_20201006_041256260.jpg
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	865711

Name:	PXL_20201006_003400215.jpg
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	865710

Comment

• Steve Manning
                                                          • Dec 2006

Very nice ...... :T:T
                                                          Hold on to your butts - It's about to get Musical!

WEBSITE: http://www.smjaudio.com/

Comment

• rick844
                                                            • Jun 2019

Here's the final. First one done. After the white paint is fully hardened in a month or so, I'll buff it out and it should brighten up a bit.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30755[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30754[/ATTACH]
                                                            Very nice. What did you finish it with and what did you sand it with if I might ask. Your finish on the veneer is exceptional.

Comment

• 707kevin
                                                              • Oct 2010

Very nice. What did you finish it with and what did you sand it with if I might ask. Your finish on the veneer is exceptional.
                                                              Sand 180 then 220. Teak oil, wiped off, dried a few hours.
                                                              More teak oil, sanded while wet with 400, dried a few hours, do it again.

Sanding while wet fills the grain and makes it smith to the touch. For a smoother, glossier finish let each coat dry overnight after sanding. I rushed it for a satin finish

Comment

• rick844
                                                                • Jun 2019

Sand 180 then 220. Teak oil, wiped off, dried a few hours.
                                                                More teak oil, sanded while wet with 400, dried a few hours, do it again.

Sanding while wet fills the grain and makes it smith to the touch. For a smoother, glossier finish let each coat dry overnight after sanding. I rushed it for a satin finish
                                                                Thanks. Much appreciated.

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                                  • Mar 2005

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30755[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30754[/ATTACH]
                                                                  Hi Kevin,

They look beautiful but the real question I have is, are they playing music yet and I'd love to hear your sound quality feedback.

Enjoy the music!

Jim

Comment

• 707kevin
                                                                    • Oct 2010

Hi Kevin,

They look beautiful but the real question I have is, are they playing music yet and I'd love to hear your sound quality feedback.

Enjoy the music!

Jim
                                                                    This is the REAL question, isn't it? Unfortunately the paint on my second enclosure had a few bugs on it (literally, follow the trail of footprints until you find the deal fly...jerks!), and a run I'm not happy with. Since then the weather has turned cold and humid, so terrible for painting. I'll plastic off the garage in a few weeks and finish it up!

I did get a few weeks on them before I took them apart again for prep & finish. They're sort of amazing.

Comment

• 707kevin
                                                                      • Oct 2010

And THANKS!!!

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                                        • Mar 2005

This is the REAL question, isn't it? Unfortunately the paint on my second enclosure had a few bugs on it (literally, follow the trail of footprints until you find the deal fly...jerks!), and a run I'm not happy with. Since then the weather has turned cold and humid, so terrible for painting. I'll plastic off the garage in a few weeks and finish it up!

I did get a few weeks on them before I took them apart again for prep & finish. They're sort of amazing.
                                                                        Sorry about the paint issue but I'm pleased you're enjoying the music.

Jim

Comment

• rick844
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Jun 2019

Jim, I know you stated before that the center is the most important and 70% of the sound comes from the center during movies, but the score of a movie is simply exceptional with these towers. The score of movies, good movies that is, is really moving with these towers.

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                                            • Mar 2005
                                                                            • 3223

Jim, I know you stated before that the center is the most important and 70% of the sound comes from the center during movies, but the score of a movie is simply exceptional with these towers. The score of movies, good movies that is, is really moving with these towers.
                                                                            My 70% rule of thumb is an average for most movies that are dominated by voice. However, I appreciate your feedback on movies that have well done musical scores which is something I have also noticed and enjoyed. The reason the Statements, Anthology's, Bordeaux and Travelers sound so good on both music and movies is all due to Curt's crossover expertise and the help he gives me in coming up in a well thought out and tested design. Curt is the without a doubt, the expert of our collaboration. He's the man!

Enjoy the music!

Jim

Comment

• rick844
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Jun 2019
                                                                              • 232

#83
                                                                              My 70% rule of thumb is an average for most movies that are dominated by voice. However, I appreciate your feedback on movies that have well done musical scores which is something I have also noticed and enjoyed. The reason the Statements, Anthology's, Bordeaux and Travelers sound so good on both music and movies is all due to Curt's crossover expertise and the help he gives me in coming up in a well thought out and tested design. Curt is the without a doubt, the expert of our collaboration. He's the man!

Enjoy the music!

Jim
                                                                              Well, thank you both again.

Comment

• Mikerodrig27
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Feb 2015
                                                                                • 160

#84
                                                                                Just looked through the updates. Everything looks great! Good job on the finish work. I hope you get the bugs worked out with the second speaker.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                😀
                                                                                😂
                                                                                🥰
                                                                                😘
                                                                                🤢
                                                                                😎
                                                                                😞
                                                                                😡
                                                                                👍
                                                                                👎
                                                                                Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                Search Result for "|||"