X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SteveL
    • Mar 2005

Jasper Jig Help

Sorry for the dumb question, but I received my new router on Saturday (Bosch 1617EVS 2.25hp plunge) and my Jasper Jigs.

I can't figure out how to attach the jig to the base of the router so that everything is flush... do I 'sandwich' the Jasper between the aluminum base and the plastic base liner of the Bosch attachment? All other "solutions" seem to leave the screw heads exposed, which keeps the router from sitting flush with the MDF.

I checked Jasper's site and it's pretty much useless to me; the instructions go to great length to tell you how to center the opening with your router, but aside from that I'm lost. The diagram shows the jig on the "bottom" of the router, but I can't, for the life of me, figure out how to mount it so everything is flush (screw heads, jig, etc).

Any suggestions?
    No, that's not me in my avatar.
  • Bent
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2003

I don't have a Jasper Jig (yet) I built my own crude circle guide out of some 1/4" plexiglass, but it was my impression that the Jasper Jig goes in place of the plastic base that came with your router. (that's what I did with my DIY jig).

I would expect that the screws that hold the OEM base on your router should fit into "tapered" holes on the Jasper Jig to allow them to sit in recess on the jig - otherwise you may have to purchase new screws with matching threads and tapered shoulders to allow this to be true.

But again, I don't have a Jasper Jig to actually know what should be done.

Comment

• jdybnis
      • Dec 2004

Bent's right. The Jasper Jig just replaces the plastic base on the router. Chose the right couple holes in the Jig that line up with screw holes in your router base and screw it on.
      -Josh

Comment

• Ray_D
        • Apr 2005

You can either use the jig to replace the stock base or you can use the Jasper jig on the outside. It depends on the screws you have. You need to screws with flat bottoms on the heads (pan head) in the counter bored holes in the jig so the jig can be moved around to use the centering mechanism. The regular flat head screws, with the taper on the bottom of the head need to be replaced. Extra screws came with my Jasper jig. They were too long and bottomed out so rather than shorten them I used them in the jig over the standard base.

Comment

• SteveL
          • Mar 2005

Thanks for the info guys, that makes sense... however, my Jasper jig doesn't have the chamfered holes, and I don't have any tapered head screws, so it looks like I'll be makin' a run to the hardware store tonight.

Thanks again!
          No, that's not me in my avatar.

Comment

• Ray_D
            • Apr 2005

You don't want chamfered holes and tapered screws. You will not be able to center the jig and your holes will not be the specified size. Although the error may be small it defeats the centering attachment. Counter bored holes have flat bottoms as opposed to counter sunk holes, which are tapered.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"