X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NateTTU
    • Jul 2007

Busted Statement Center Speaker

The title is pretty self explanatory, but I think I busted one of the 7'' Dayton woofers in my statement center yesterday. I'm not exactly sure what or when it happened. I think it may have been during the movie Shooter. I had it set at lvl 54 on the Emotiva combo.

The right speaker emits a horrible distortion type noise whenever there is some lower frequencies coming from the center channel. I'm not sure if I really over drove the speaker or it was already defective. I would be very suprised if I overdrove the speaker, for its size I would think it could take much more abuse. I don't know exactly how loud (dB) I pushed them, but in a room that is 13x14x8 it wasn't overpowering. All the others, including the left speaker in the center are fine.

While I'm sure the speaker is busted, is there a sure way to tell? I looked all over the speaker and didn't really find any damage to the cone. I was going to go ahead and purchase another speaker from PE if there is no other way to fix the problem.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I would like to fix this soon as I can't live without these awesome spekers!
  • brijenjas
    • Nov 2006

Originally posted by NateTTU
    The title is pretty self explanatory, but I think I busted one of the 7'' Dayton woofers in my statement center yesterday. I'm not exactly sure what or when it happened. I think it may have been during the movie Shooter. I had it set at lvl 54 on the Emotiva combo.

The right speaker emits a horrible distortion type noise whenever there is some lower frequencies coming from the center channel. I'm not sure if I really over drove the speaker or it was already defective. I would be very suprised if I overdrove the speaker, for its size I would think it could take much more abuse. I don't know exactly how loud (dB) I pushed them, but in a room that is 13x14x8 it wasn't overpowering. All the others, including the left speaker in the center are fine.

While I'm sure the speaker is busted, is there a sure way to tell? I looked all over the speaker and didn't really find any damage to the cone. I was going to go ahead and purchase another speaker from PE if there is no other way to fix the problem.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I would like to fix this soon as I can't live without these awesome spekers!

First, with everything turned off, push in gently on the cone of the driver you think is bad, if you hear a scratchy or grinding sound it is bad, or if it doesn't move it is bad.

If it moves freely, swap the left driver with the right driver and see if the distortion follows the driver. If it follows the driver the driver is bad, if the distortion stays on the right there is a problem with your crossover or wiring.

Comment

• Jim Holtz
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by NateTTU

Nate,

There's a 5 year warranty on the RS series drivers. They should ship you a new driver promptly. PE has great customer service.

If the driver is distorting, I think you've diagnosed it accurately. The center should be able to hit 110 DB with out stress so you should never have a problem attaining adequate sound levels in a normal room at normal viewing/listening distances.

Jim

Comment

• Undefinition
        • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Jim Holtz
        There's a 5 year warranty on the RS series drivers. They should ship you a new driver promptly. PE has great customer service.
        That is true, as they have honored that for me. But I gotta say, these phase plugs are starting to drive me crazy with debris that falls in the crack. I have a feeling it's my dog's really long hair.
        Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?
        Paul Carmody's DIY Speaker Site

Comment

• NateTTU
          • Jul 2007

Originally posted by brijenjas
          First, with everything turned off, push in gently on the cone of the driver you think is bad, if you hear a scratchy or grinding sound it is bad...
          That pretty much sums up the diagnosis perfectly. Thank you.

Jim,

I can't say exactly, but I don't think there was any way I was even hitting peaks on the system that high. Thats great to hear there is a warranty, I will definately be taking them up on that offer.

Thanks for the support guys.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"