X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SteveA
    • Dec 2004

Statement center channel "challenge"

I will be building a pair mini statements (front L/R), a pair of monitors (rear L/R) and a center channel of some description.

I have two options. I could build the "normal" center if I bolt the TV to the back of the entertainment center (raised enough to allow speaker placement below the TV) and this thread would be pointless. I would rather not, however, start "carving" up my ent. center.

A second alternative would be to build something (and I would like to keep the Fountek and Tangband as is) along the same lines. For example, with the RS125 (a five inch which might allow a cabinet to fit). I would assume one could design a "micro" statement center with 2XRS125, W4-1337 and NeoCD 3.0. My question is, would it be worth the effort?

I suppose I could use a phantom center but then there would be nothing to build and that's no fun.

Thanks for your comments.
    SteveA
  • AdelaaR
    • Dec 2010

I am in about the same position as you are, Steve.
    I'm also considering a statement center and I have two problems:
    1) it's too high
    2) it's going to be too close to a wall to allow for the transmission line

If someone would design a center that would be smaller and completely sealed ... that would be sweet.
    Micro Statement Center sounds great btw

Comment

• ChrisL
      • Dec 2010

Not sure if this is what you guys are looking for, but check out these modified version of the Statement Center:

Basically a totally sealed version (yes, it goes away from the "open" concept), however they appear to sound very nice.

The main benefit is they allow you to place it close to the wall. May still be too big for what you need though.

Comment

• SteveA
        • Dec 2004

My issue is with the height. I shouldn't have any issue with the depth since the entertainment center is about 20 inches deep (and relatively open behind the space where I'd place the speaker).

I am wondering if it would be worth the effort to design a center channel using a smaller driver from Dayton's RS series (the 125 is a 5", 150 6" and the 180 used in the original CC a 7", if I've remembered correctly). Is the RS125 too small (doesn't provide anything that the W4-1337 is already providing)?

SteveA

Comment

• AdelaaR
          • Dec 2010

Chris ... thanks for trying to find a solution but I had come across thatone already.
          I too, like Steve, have an issue especially with the height.
          The design by Jed is perfect for my needs except for the fact that it is way too big.
          Steve's idea to use the RS125 or 150 seems great to me but I'm far from an expert so I'm just guessing here.
          For me it would be perfect if it had 2 RS125's (or 150's) with 2 W4-1337's and the Neocd3 in a completely sealed box without transmission line that is as low as possible.
          Is there anyone who can please enlighten us if such a design is feasable?

Comment

• Curt C
            • Feb 2005

Using a smaller woofer doesn’t resolve the height issue. It’s really about the ribbon…

The Statement CC height is due to the vertical stacking of the 1337 under the Fountek ribbon. This is done to optimize the horizontal off axis response of the design, and changing the woofers to a smaller diameter will do nothing to reduce the overall height of the design.

Unfortunately, due to the crossover frequency requirements of the ribbon, a horizontal orientation, such as flanking the Fountek with a pair of 1337’s would result in unacceptable nulls in the response within normal listening angles, and an audibly compromised design. This design topology would require a tweeter with much lower crossover capabilities, which leaves ribbons in general, and the Fountek in specific, out of the equation. (Note here that I’m not referring to the Frodaddy/Jed design, which will have excellent horizontal off axis response due to the triangular arrangement of the ribbon and mids, but one that significantly reduces the enclosure height to something around 6-7 inches.)

Sooo….
            The choices as I see them:
            1) Build The Statement Center, or the Frodaddy/Jed design and rejoice in its abundant height. :rofl:

2) Build a shorter version using the ribbon with flanking drivers, and accept the poorer off axis performance. :huh:
            –OK if you have a long narrow room, I suppose...

3) As 2 above, but cross the ribbon below 2K and hope the distortion isn’t too audible. :gah:
            – I can’t recommend this option as viable…

4) Build a center design similar to the AviaTrix that does not use a ribbon, but offers good sound quality and off axis performance in a shorter enclosure. :T

C
            Curt's Speaker Design Works

Comment

• AdelaaR
              • Dec 2010

Thanks once again, Curt, for both your insight and your ability to express that insight in a way that outsiders can understand

Comment

• SteveA
                • Dec 2004

Curt,
                Thanks for the enlightenment (and the designs). I may have to bite the bullet and bolt the TV to the stand a bit higher.

Regarding your comment about a cc similiar to the Aviatrix, would a "linear" design such as the RS125-W41337-RS28-W41337-RS125 have any merit (other than solving my height issue)?

Thanks again,
                SteveA

Comment

• fbov
                  • Jun 2008

Originally posted by SteveA
                  My issue is with the height.
                  ... I am wondering if it would be worth the effort to design a center channel using a smaller driver from Dayton's RS series (the 125 is a 5", 150 6" and the 180 ...
                  Use the Modula MTM CC with the D3004/6020-10 substitution.

I just finished one of these, and recommend it with the on-wall/in-wall XO if you plan to integrate it into furnture. You also gain additional heigth latitude in this application; the XO assumes an infinite baffle so you can use any width you want that still supports the drivers.

While it's not a 3-way, it is an option, and that lets you make the tradeoff.

Have fun,
                  Frank

PS mine's match with NatP's, so there's no 3-way envy in my system. :lol:

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"