Lessons Learned (My Anthology Build)

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • CBM87
    Junior Member
    • Nov 2017
    • 26

    #1

    Lessons Learned (My Anthology Build)

    Like others, I caught the DIY bug after building the classic Overnight Sensation MTMs. I realized that store bought speakers in my budget just wouldn't make me happy. I wanted some real tower speakers that wouldn't leave me needing more. I stumbled on the Anthologys page but never found much for feedback of the design. I knew they weren't on the "economically friendly" end of the DIY spectrum, but I took the risk and bought a Meniscus kit (with the upgraded components thanks to Jim/Curt's advice) and started building. I've learned so much from this and was rewarded with some incredible sound that more than satisfies what I was looking for.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	f4de1c80c3410135f770c81b4c8d6aeb.jpg
Views:	984
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	933249

    Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by theSven; 15 April 2023, 04:44 Saturday. Reason: Update image location
  • CBM87
    Junior Member
    • Nov 2017
    • 26

    #2
    Originally posted by CBM87
    Like others, I caught the DIY bug after building the classic Overnight Sensation MTMs. I realized that store bought speakers in my budget just wouldn't make me happy. I wanted some real tower speakers that wouldn't leave me needing more. I stumbled on the Anthologys page but never found much for feedback of the design. I knew they weren't on the "economically friendly" end of the DIY spectrum, but I took the risk and bought a Meniscus kit (with the upgraded components thanks to Jim/Curt's advice) and started building. I've learned so much from this and was rewarded with some incredible sound that more than satisfies what I was looking for.

    Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Here's more pics of the process.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	61f2277562f88021e6d8d7ec00e077ad.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	933250

    Click image for larger version

Name:	f8c7470a5eb6e5567710be37481eeaa8.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	933251

    Click image for larger version

Name:	78fe2469141ffc0546c01677026de976.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	933252

    Click image for larger version

Name:	b7a7831e58a1428534677176931e8d5e.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	933253

    Click image for larger version

Name:	7e8f7528853b171fa81c84da1baf4ebc.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	933254

    Click image for larger version

Name:	3485adf5e3894a26d5ca2d93fbb1938c.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	933255

    Click image for larger version

Name:	dd20031af339d1ec1fef7af0343334ac.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	933256

    Click image for larger version

Name:	801a6d77beb4619a2cbde6cea99be663.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	933257

    Click image for larger version

Name:	342159cc7af3bc5a9049ce6899243aaf.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	933258

    Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by theSven; 15 April 2023, 04:48 Saturday. Reason: Update image location

    Comment

    • CBM87
      Junior Member
      • Nov 2017
      • 26

      #3
      More...

      Click image for larger version

Name:	5edb0402a22ec152bb841170773d21ec.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	933259

      Click image for larger version

Name:	d727b47ab983a2fcd8044a25e17e3f09.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	933260

      Click image for larger version

Name:	1b86ded7e841d2ee39a7d661997bc11b.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	933261

      Click image for larger version

Name:	74ba72a3a60425f06a36509330eed7c4.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	933262

      Click image for larger version

Name:	5e30abef5b96ee61e7c3a18d06504045.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	933263

      Click image for larger version

Name:	a84842f50e0c1ef03fb22965e14a3578.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	933264

      Click image for larger version

Name:	46b938f38d482d23279884a8a81187d0.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	933265

      Click image for larger version

Name:	da1d18d358a3a1928dc0103a2ec1f2f7.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	933266

      Click image for larger version

Name:	05b813425209730ec6c435cf64a7a174.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	933267

      Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
      Last edited by theSven; 15 April 2023, 04:52 Saturday. Reason: Update image location

      Comment

      • CBM87
        Junior Member
        • Nov 2017
        • 26

        #4
        Part 3.

        Click image for larger version

Name:	c7be8f7c8fc02453c97d32fb35c02b1b.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	933268

        Click image for larger version

Name:	6dc7e53775ad8545b7009f572f173e0b.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	933269

        Click image for larger version

Name:	ae99c2e2765d42bacbd5cdb0841c788d.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	933270

        Click image for larger version

Name:	293219bf17a75a9be166deba5570062e.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	933271

        Click image for larger version

Name:	894e1fcb1c2318f538822e5ea2c3559f.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	933272

        Click image for larger version

Name:	b517635a865f2ae56493988e98b89fed.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	933273

        Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
        Last edited by theSven; 15 April 2023, 04:54 Saturday. Reason: Update image location

        Comment

        • Jim Holtz
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Mar 2005
          • 3224

          #5
          Excellent build thread! Curt and I are very pleased that you're enjoying the sound quality of the Anthology's. :T

          I like the finish you applied. They look a lot like the pair setting in my living room.

          Enjoy!

          Jim

          Comment

          • Steve Manning
            Moderator
            • Dec 2006
            • 2140

            #6
            Very nice .... I like those saw horses, have not seen them before.
            Hold on to your butts - It's about to get Musical!



            WEBSITE: http://www.smjaudio.com/

            Comment

            • CBM87
              Junior Member
              • Nov 2017
              • 26

              #7
              Originally posted by Jim Holtz
              Excellent build thread! Curt and I are very pleased that you're enjoying the sound quality of the Anthology's. :T

              I like the finish you applied. They look a lot like the pair setting in my living room.

              Enjoy!

              Jim
              As far as listening impressions go, here's a few givens first.
              1. They are in my large, open basement, not my carpeted living room where they'll end up once I get grilles done. I have a 1 year old walking tornado.
              2. I'm still saving for better source components and a cabinet to keep them safe, referring to statement 1. My 15 year old JVC will do for now.
              3. I don't have much to compare to. I have some old pioneer 3-ways and Klipsch surrounds downstairs. I have my OS MTMs in the garage. I've had the pleasure of listening to ML electrostats and some B & W towers at a local store. They also had some high end paradigm towers.

              I was most blown away by EDM like deadmau5 or infected mushroom. The low end from these really is impressive. The realism from strings/vocal recordings makes me forget I'm actually listening to speakers.

              For well recorded Rock/Metal it's also enjoyable. (I'm more of a metalhead than other genres). I'm admit I'm not used to mids this intense (not a bad thing, it's just new to me). I'm assuming better components/environment will help with that.

              Overall, I could see the Anthologys pushing me to broaden my musical tastes to get the most out of them, which I appreciate. They almost sound "too good" [emoji3] and it's easy to keep turning up the volume knob since fatigue just isn't there.

              Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

              Comment

              • CBM87
                Junior Member
                • Nov 2017
                • 26

                #8
                Originally posted by Steve Manning
                Very nice .... I like those saw horses, have not seen them before.
                They're super helpful for cutting large sheets. You just sacrifice a couple of 2x4s. Lowe's has then around $20/each.

                Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

                Comment

                • Jim Holtz
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Mar 2005
                  • 3224

                  #9
                  Originally posted by CBM87
                  As far as listening impressions go, here's a few givens first.
                  1. They are in my large, open basement, not my carpeted living room where they'll end up once I get grilles done. I have a 1 year old walking tornado.
                  2. I'm still saving for better source components and a cabinet to keep them safe, referring to statement 1. My 15 year old JVC will do for now.
                  3. I don't have much to compare to. I have some old pioneer 3-ways and Klipsch surrounds downstairs. I have my OS MTMs in the garage. I've had the pleasure of listening to ML electrostats and some B & W towers at a local store. They also had some high end paradigm towers.

                  I was most blown away by EDM like deadmau5 or infected mushroom. The low end from these really is impressive. The realism from strings/vocal recordings makes me forget I'm actually listening to speakers.

                  For well recorded Rock/Metal it's also enjoyable. (I'm more of a metalhead than other genres). I'm admit I'm not used to mids this intense (not a bad thing, it's just new to me). I'm assuming better components/environment will help with that.

                  Overall, I could see the Anthologys pushing me to broaden my musical tastes to get the most out of them, which I appreciate. They almost sound "too good" [emoji3] and it's easy to keep turning up the volume knob since fatigue just isn't there.

                  Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
                  Yep, Anthology's are a "gateway drug" that'll send you in search of better recordings which pushes you to expand genre that you've not listened to before and they'll also put you on the search for better electronics. Unfortunately, it all costs money so a little at a time.

                  Curt and I have been on a quest to create designs with the best possible mids at the price point we were aiming for and driver selections that hit our end goal combination of bass, mids and top end. The Anthology's always make me smile when I listen and it sounds like you are to. Perfect!

                  Jim

                  Comment

                  Related Topics

                  Collapse

                  • TEK
                    Ardent inspired sub project : element and amps arrived...
                    by TEK
                    Hi

                    About to start a new sub project. The plan is to build two independent subwoofers based on rythmik audio servo system with 15" woofer and their 600w amplifier.
                    Some year ago (2005/2006) I built a furniture sub using 18" Aurasound woofer.

                    https://www.htgu...
                    24 February 2013, 06:51 Sunday
                  • Dilirium
                    My Anthology's build
                    by Dilirium
                    Hi all, I am new to this forum and I just recently started my Anthology's. I have a set of Dali Concept's now and I want something better.
                    At first I planned to build the Statement II speaker but those were rejected by my better half due to their size. I really like the Statement design of Spleen21...
                    26 January 2018, 15:36 Friday
                  • tommarra
                    Anthology kits from Melby Audio
                    by tommarra
                    Quick question folks:

                    Is Melby Audio still in operation? I was looking to order flatpack cabinets for Jim and Curtz Statements II or Anthology speakers. They show sold out on the website, so i tried to contact them via webform as well as facebook, but no response.

                    Anyone...
                    22 November 2016, 11:44 Tuesday
                  • kylemcg
                    Recently started Anthology Build-- pics inside!
                    by kylemcg
                    Hi all! I just recently delved into the DIY audio world looking to build some nice tower speakers for my apartment at school. I settled on the Anthology speakers. Will update as I assemble the cabinets. I am probably going to take them to a family member who does custom automotive painting to give them...
                    24 May 2018, 18:06 Thursday
                  • 707kevin
                    Another Anthology Build :)
                    by 707kevin
                    After drooling for a few years, I finally ordered the parts for Jim Holtz and Curt Campbell's Anthology Speakers (Speaker Design Works)

                    I'll keep these in the living room with the TV setup for a while. Due to their size they will probably replace my DCM TF-2000's in the spare room &...
                    11 May 2020, 13:04 Monday
                  • Loading...
                  • No more items.
                  Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

                    Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

                    Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"