Another Statement Monitor build

Expect slow progress here, fellas.

Anyway, I got all the MDF cut at the shop a few days ago,

Click image for larger version

Name:	70ae8e54.webp
Views:	791
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	934915

I got the mid tunnels glued together and am getting the sides assembled now, I'll try to get a pic of them tomorrow. (if I feel like walking in the shop when it is 108* here tomorrow) :evil:

Also, because I physically can't do the simple easy thing, and I'm a glutton for punishment, I have decided to finish these with a french polish. I've never done any wood finishing before so I figure why not start by learning an old school labor intensive technique, right?

Anyway, I put together a test panel to practice technique on before I tackle the cabinets.

This is after 2 bodying sessions

Name:	ec4f1b59.webp
Views:	119
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	934916

and sans flash:

Name:	ba2140cd.webp
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	934917

I'll try to keep this updated, but the way my projects tend to go I'm hoping I finish in 6-8 mos. :lol:

Cheers!
    Last edited by theSven; 02 May 2023, 11:26 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location
  • impala454
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2007

Nice finish! Can't wait to see it on the final cabinets!
    -Chuck

Comment

• technodanvan
      Super Senior Member
      • Nov 2009

No kidding, that'll look goooood...
      - Danny

Comment

• Norm
        • Mar 2011

Very nice test piece on your finish. Very good idea perfecting your technique on a not-part-of-the-speaker panel. What veneer and/or stain is providing the color?

Comment

• diamondjoequimb
          • Jul 2012

Originally posted by Norm
          Very nice test piece on your finish. Very good idea perfecting your technique on a not-part-of-the-speaker panel. What veneer and/or stain is providing the color?
          It is a generic maple veneer from a sample pack I picked up at a local hardwood supplier. My plan is to use either curly or birdseye maple on the actual speakers.

The tint is TransTint Bordeaux cut in water, and the shellac is a garnet color from Woodcraft.

I will do more prep work on the speakers themselves to even the finish a little better, but I'm pretty pleased with the test panel as of now.

Comment

• BeerParty
            • Oct 2008

Looking forward to your build, they should look fantastic with that type of finish on them.
            Chris

My Statement Monitors Build
            My AviaTrix Build

Comment

• diamondjoequimb
              • Jul 2012

Some progress...

Name:	68b6efab.webp
Views:	121
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	934918

and the center sections of the enclosures done

Name:	28ceb756.webp
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	934919

I found a local guy who will CNC the front baffles for me for $25 ea (score!). Just waiting on the woofers that are on b/o from PE so I can get the correct depth to mill down so everything sits flush.
              Last edited by theSven; 02 May 2023, 11:27 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• diamondjoequimb
                • Jul 2012

Quick question about cabinet damping; I know the plans call for a 2" foam in the woofer portion of the cabinets. I have some Focal Black Hole 5 laying around from another project. Any reason that wouldn't work?

Also. what is the recommended material for the mid-tunnels? I'm having a hard time pinning down what most people are using.

Comment

• BeerParty
                  • Oct 2008

Originally posted by diamondjoequimb
                  Quick question about cabinet damping; I know the plans call for a 2" foam in the woofer portion of the cabinets. I have some Focal Black Hole 5 laying around from another project. Any reason that wouldn't work?

Also. what is the recommended material for the mid-tunnels? I'm having a hard time pinning down what most people are using.
                  The plans call for 1" foam in the mid-tunnel. I used 1" Acoustic Foam from Parts Express.

I don't know anything about Focal Black Hole 5 so can't help you there.
                  Chris

My AviaTrix Build

Comment

• diamondjoequimb
                    • Jul 2012

Originally posted by BeerParty
                    The plans call for 1" foam in the mid-tunnel. I used 1" Acoustic Foam from Parts Express.

I don't know anything about Focal Black Hole 5 so can't help you there.
                    thanks

The Black Hole 5 is this stuff:

It was dumb expensive and I'd never actually buy it for something like this, but like I said I acquired some for free, so I'd like to use it if it will work.

Comment

• diamondjoequimb
                      • Jul 2012

Finished buffing out my test panel of French polished maple veneer. I'm glad I did this as a test. I picked up a few things I think will make the finish on the cabinets even better. Anyway here is a crappy iPhone pic:

Name:	4b98be50.webp
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	934920
                      Last edited by theSven; 02 May 2023, 11:28 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Mar 2005

thanks

The Black Hole 5 is this stuff:

It was dumb expensive and I'd never actually buy it for something like this, but like I said I acquired some for free, so I'd like to use it if it will work.
                        Yep, Blackhole5 will work fine. 1" foam in the tunnels as indicated.

It looks great! :T

Jim

Comment

• diamondjoequimb
                          • Jul 2012

Originally posted by Jim Holtz
                          Yep, Blackhole5 will work fine. 1" foam in the tunnels as indicated.

It looks great! :T

Jim
                          Thanks Jim!

Comment

• BeerParty
                            • Oct 2008

Wow, that panel looks great!
                            Chris

My AviaTrix Build

Comment

• JonP
                              • Apr 2006

It is a generic maple veneer from a sample pack I picked up at a local hardwood supplier. My plan is to use either curly or birdseye maple on the actual speakers.

The tint is TransTint Bordeaux cut in water, and the shellac is a garnet color from Woodcraft.

I will do more prep work on the speakers themselves to even the finish a little better, but I'm pretty pleased with the test panel as of now.
                              Nice... Those are going to look dramatic... :T

Yep, the TransTint dyes work well with Shellac... no problem there. I like how that added an extra push to the red from the the basic garnet color.

I would pass along that you should try to keep the shellac layer thin. I once did a very heavy coat (many, many sprayed layers) and over time it developed tiny cracks in the finish. Though doing French Polishing, you probably won't put on anywhere near enough to be a problem.

Wondering how diluted (cut) is the mix you using for the French Polish? That might be something to experiment with, cutting it thinner with alcohol for more, thinner layers. It might level out smoother that way. And hey, it would be even more labor intensive! :evil:

Awesome... keep the pics coming!

Comment

• diamondjoequimb
                                • Jul 2012

Originally posted by JonP
                                Nice... Those are going to look dramatic... :T

Yep, the TransTint dyes work well with Shellac... no problem there. I like how that added an extra push to the red from the the basic garnet color.

I would pass along that you should try to keep the shellac layer thin. I once did a very heavy coat (many, many sprayed layers) and over time it developed tiny cracks in the finish. Though doing French Polishing, you probably won't put on anywhere near enough to be a problem.

Wondering how diluted (cut) is the mix you using for the French Polish? That might be something to experiment with, cutting it thinner with alcohol for more, thinner layers. It might level out smoother that way. And hey, it would be even more labor intensive! :evil:

Awesome... keep the pics coming!
                                On the test panel I did a 2lb cut for most of he bodying, then started thinning it pretty good w/ alcohol after the 800 grit sanding.

That was probably 6 body sessions, then a 400 grit sanding, then 3 bodying, then 800 grit, then 2 bodying cut really thin w/ alcohol, then Meguiers #7 glaze, then a coat of carnauba wax.

Comment

• Matt ITD
                                  • Dec 2009

Hi All,

Can anyone please confirm that the cutout for the port on the monitors is 4 1/4"?

Thanks
                                  Matt

Comment

• mattsk8
                                    • Oct 2011

Those are looking fantastic!

Couple questions about your finishing methods...

Are you padding or spraying the shellac? Also, are you using Tiger Flakes shellac from Woodcraft? (Never done french polish before so I don't know the order).

Also, are you spraying the TransTint, wiping, or foam brush?
                                    If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day. If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm the rest of his life :T

Comment

• diamondjoequimb
                                      • Jul 2012

Originally posted by mattsk8
                                      Those are looking fantastic!

Couple questions about your finishing methods...

Are you padding or spraying the shellac? Also, are you using Tiger Flakes shellac from Woodcraft? (Never done french polish before so I don't know the order).

Also, are you spraying the TransTint, wiping, or foam brush?
                                      Foam brush on the TransTint. Bordeaux is the color. Put a layer down, let it dry a bit, wiped off the excess, let dry completely, and re-applied another layer of tint the same way until I got the color where I wanted it. (after 1 coat it was like a bright salmon color)

I'm padding the shellac w/ a cotton muneca. Small pad of old t-shirt wrapped up in a slightly larger square of t-shirt material.

I'm using the Garnet Tiger Flakes, dissolved in Everclear with a 2lb cut.

Hoping to start on the actual cabs soon.

Comment

• BeerParty
                                        • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Matt ITD
                                        Hi All,

Can anyone please confirm that the cutout for the port on the monitors is 4 1/4"?

Thanks
                                        Matt
                                        Depends on what port you are using. Are you buying the ports from Parts Express or will you get something local? If you are planning to buy locally, you'll need to measure your actual port. If you are getting it from PE, I'll go downstairs and measure the port on my Statement Monitors.
                                        Chris

My AviaTrix Build

Comment

• mattsk8
                                          • Oct 2011

Foam brush on the TransTint. Bordeaux is the color. Put a layer down, let it dry a bit, wiped off the excess, let dry completely, and re-applied another layer of tint the same way until I got the color where I wanted it. (after 1 coat it was like a bright salmon color)

I'm padding the shellac w/ a cotton muneca. Small pad of old t-shirt wrapped up in a slightly larger square of t-shirt material.

I'm using the Garnet Tiger Flakes, dissolved in Everclear with a 2lb cut.

Hoping to start on the actual cabs soon.
                                          Thanks for the response! Curious cuz I'm making my first attempt w/ shellac. Hasn't gone well so far. At first I got blonde tiger flakes from Woodcraft and they wouldn't disolve in denatured alcohol. I let it set for a week, with shaking and stirring and still wouldn't disolve. Then I just got clear, dewaxed Zinnser shellac. Zinsser sealcoat is their dewaxed shellac and it's close to blonde. I'm working on cherry. First boiled linseed oil, then spray the shellac, then clear finish. I plan on tinting the shellac w/ Transtint, then spraying as opposed to spraying Transtint, then spraying shellac. I'll do a bunch of practice pieces.

Anyhow, not to rob your thread; just fishing for info . Are you water sanding the shellac before polishing, or just polishing?
                                          If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day. If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm the rest of his life :T

Comment

• diamondjoequimb
                                            • Jul 2012

Originally posted by mattsk8
                                            Thanks for the response! Curious cuz I'm making my first attempt w/ shellac. Hasn't gone well so far. At first I got blonde tiger flakes from Woodcraft and they wouldn't disolve in denatured alcohol. I let it set for a week, with shaking and stirring and still wouldn't disolve. Then I just got clear, dewaxed Zinnser shellac. Zinsser sealcoat is their dewaxed shellac and it's close to blonde. I'm working on cherry. First boiled linseed oil, then spray the shellac, then clear finish. I plan on tinting the shellac w/ Transtint, then spraying as opposed to spraying Transtint, then spraying shellac. I'll do a bunch of practice pieces.

Anyhow, not to rob your thread; just fishing for info . Are you water sanding the shellac before polishing, or just polishing?
                                            After about 6 bodying sessions I did 400 grit wet w/ olive oil. After a few more bodying I did the same w/ 800 grit. Beyond that I bodied until I got the sheen back, polished then waxed.

Comment

• Matt ITD
                                              • Dec 2009

yes sorry, I want to use the PE port. I hope it is a 4 1/4" hole cause they are cut now.

Thanks

Comment

• BeerParty
                                                • Oct 2008

yes sorry, I want to use the PE port. I hope it is a 4 1/4" hole cause they are cut now.

Thanks
                                                I'll try to remember to measure the port hole tonight when I get home, but we have guests coming over so no promises.
                                                Chris

My AviaTrix Build

Comment

• BeerParty
                                                  • Oct 2008

Thanks
                                                  Inner hole on mine is 4 1/4", so you should be all set.
                                                  Chris

My AviaTrix Build

Comment

• Matt ITD
                                                    • Dec 2009

Thank you Chris!

Comment

• diamondjoequimb
                                                      • Jul 2012

Finally some progress:

Name:	9D2F831E-24D7-4B62-AFAC-FD9ADD56BADA-2643-00000142A84D6568.webp
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	934921

Got the woofer and 1 tweeter x-over assembled. Checked them at work with an RTA and all looks good. Hopefully I'll finish the other tweeter and mid ones off this weekend. My CNC guy is back from vacation so I dropped the baffles and backs off earlier this week.
                                                      Last edited by theSven; 02 May 2023, 11:29 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• diamondjoequimb
                                                        • Jul 2012

My CNC guy got back from vacation and as a bonus ended up charging me 1/2 of what I expected. So for $50 he did the front and back baffles. Tolerances are well...

Name:	20EB0067-0DD6-44D1-B1DE-43C7BDF58022-5142-0000030A30A428DD.webp
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	934922

Name:	95DAB0D5-A583-4DF6-8BBC-9D9753326270-5142-0000030A36FFBB7A.webp
Views:	120
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	934923

Name:	36385FB3-6F96-4C51-BF77-5AD66DBE299B-5142-0000030A41BC0F7F.webp
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	934924

Name:	28E9A270-3A9E-4141-B1FF-0B6C55F77453-5142-0000030A3B4E8C05.webp
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	934925

Name:	FC51C7F4-9B73-4BDC-A607-9EFBA5CD6610-5142-0000030A228F9551.webp
Views:	117
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	934926

Name:	FD605823-D974-4E23-ACC6-A02EF3A58628-5142-0000030A2AC4180A.webp
Views:	116
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	934927

Name:	B64AE41D-D324-40AF-A8BD-31D5D4D28173-5142-0000030A4833E9DB.webp
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	934928

And I got all the x-overs put together

Name:	F94BD2BE-D90D-40D3-9A22-3E059D89A17F-5142-0000030AA6650040.webp
Views:	115
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	934929

Just need to order the tweeters, then I can get all the front baffle chamfers done, get them attached, then start on the veneer/finish work. As of right now I'm aiming to be done around the end of the year.
                                                        Last edited by theSven; 02 May 2023, 11:32 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• impala454
                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                          • Oct 2007

Looks really nice, totally worth the cash too I'd say!
                                                          -Chuck

Comment

• Unclejunebug
                                                            • Mar 2012

So, noob question here. What are those terminals you're using for the ins and outs of your crossovers? I'm about to do a build myself and am looking for something clean, and possibly removable, like this.

These are looking awesome by the way. I'm diggin' that sexy polish :P

Comment

• diamondjoequimb
                                                              • Jul 2012

Originally posted by Unclejunebug
                                                              So, noob question here. What are those terminals you're using for the ins and outs of your crossovers? I'm about to do a build myself and am looking for something clean, and possibly removable, like this.

These are looking awesome by the way. I'm diggin' that sexy polish :P
                                                              They are just a barrier strip from Radio Shack that I picked up and then cut down.

Comment

• john trials
                                                                • Mar 2009

You got a great deal at $50 for all that work. Looking good! Just remember to cut the back sides for the woofers and mids for better air flow.
                                                                Statements: "They usually kill the desire to build anything else."

Comment

• diamondjoequimb
                                                                  • Jul 2012

Originally posted by john trials
                                                                  You got a great deal at $50 for all that work. Looking good! Just remember to cut the back sides for the woofers and mids for better air flow.
                                                                  Yeah, I thought $100 was reasonable. I about hit the floor when he told me $50.

I still have to trim the woofer openings, allow for tweeter terminals, and round the edges before I can assemble and veneer.

Comment

• diamondjoequimb
                                                                    • Jul 2012

Got the tweeters in today, so I got the scalloping and other touch up on the baffle done today. Quick question, does this look like enough material taken off around the woofer and mid? It is a 45* chamfer with ~3/4" left alone right at the mounting points.

Name:	DE724B2D-65D5-4440-A233-8031EEB2C9FC-13053-0000087C25A22197.webp
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	934930

Also, got a chance to wire up the x-overs and make sure I put them together properly. All speakers sounded like they were playing what they should. So I got that going for me.

Name:	639C78CC-6C96-48A7-BC01-09772BF43FD9-13053-0000087C2E85597A.webp
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	934931

And as an added bonus I bought a Parasound Halo A23 amp that needs some service work. I talked to Parasound and it sounds like it should be a pretty minor fix. Hoping to have a functioning amp for less that $300, so pretty stoked on that one too.
                                                                    Last edited by theSven; 02 May 2023, 11:33 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• NPE
                                                                      • Sep 2008

Got the tweeters in today, so I got the scalloping and other touch up on the baffle done today. Quick question, does this look like enough material taken off around the woofer and mid? It is a 45* chamfer with ~3/4" left alone right at the mounting points.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DE724B2D-65D5-4440-A233-8031EEB2C9FC-13053-0000087C25A22197.webp Views:	0 Size:	41.8 KB ID:	934930

Also, got a chance to wire up the x-overs and make sure I put them together properly. All speakers sounded like they were playing what they should. So I got that going for me.

Click image for larger version  Name:	639C78CC-6C96-48A7-BC01-09772BF43FD9-13053-0000087C2E85597A.webp Views:	0 Size:	103.2 KB ID:	934931

And as an added bonus I bought a Parasound Halo A23 amp that needs some service work. I talked to Parasound and it sounds like it should be a pretty minor fix. Hoping to have a functioning amp for less that $300, so pretty stoked on that one too.
                                                                      For the mid woofer, I was looking at mine through the mid tunnel, and I think the weird thing is that if you go for a 45 degree angle, I calculated the depth to be where the inside of the tunnel would meet, but when the driver is installed, it looks a bit like it's not as 'chamferred' as should be for the driver 'level' to get the ventilation... What I mean by that, if you chamfer more, the tunnel will go over the chamfer and then you just have a big gap between the front baffle and part of the tunnel. So I was actually considering maybe removing the mids and filing/sanding away more, but doing so you'd be ending changing the angle for more than 45 degrees.

I guess it's a bit weird spider woofer shape http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=264-848 as the spider seems to go straight up instead as a sort of / \ of the inside of the drivers. The Tang Bang is like | |, so if you stuck it in a cylinder for instance, the ventilation would be null because the gap would be small. So I guess what I'm saying is that if you don't want the chamfer to create a gap between the front baffle and the tunnel sides, you'll need more than 45 degrees, or making the 45 degree chamfer deeper than just making it flush with the rear of the front baffle...

Hope that makes sense! 8O

So I guess my question or comment is, if you place the mid tunnel on the baffle, does the chamfer make a gap between tunnel and baffle? If no and it's a 45 degree chamfer, if you place the driver and look through the tunnel, does it look like the mid has plenty of breathing room? I think yours is deeper than mine... So you'd get a little gap but better ventilation.
                                                                      Last edited by theSven; 02 May 2023, 11:35 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• diamondjoequimb
                                                                        • Jul 2012

I didn't even look at it through the back. I'll do that tomorrow. But yeah, I see that the chamfers would essentially be blocked by the mid tunnel itself. I suppose I could chamfer the actual tunnel too. Enough people have built these, I would assume someone has run into this at some point.

Comment

• NPE
                                                                          Member
                                                                          • Sep 2008

I didn't even look at it through the back. I'll do that tomorrow. But yeah, I see that the chamfers would essentially be blocked by the mid tunnel itself. I suppose I could chamfer the actual tunnel too. Enough people have built these, I would assume someone has run into this at some point.
                                                                          Yeah I think someone asked if I had chamfered the insides of my front baffles, now I'm questionning whether mid was enough..:

I think I misunderstood the instructions and calculated the chamfer depth so that the chamfer doesn't create a gap to the tunnel... I think it was 1 inch chamfer that was mentioned? Is that like depth? I used a bit similar to this, don't know the exact size, but the depth was calculated so the outer edge of the chamfer arrives flush to inside of the tunnel, without creating a gap. Think that might have been insufficient...

I'm not sure how I could have done it deeper.. Maybe the bit was too small? Hmm.. Not really larger bit would have made no difference because deeper would have meant wider which would have meant touch tunnel side... Hmm... Maybe I should stop worrying about them and just listen to their great sound.. lol

Don't know what tool I could have used to make the chamfer deeper but not wider so it overlaps the tunnel...

Maybe it's as it's supposed to be... The ventilation isn't like huge, but it does seem decent, hmmm...
                                                                          Last edited by theSven; 02 May 2023, 11:36 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• NPE
                                                                            Member
                                                                            • Sep 2008
                                                                            • 57

Like these seem much more deeper than mine:

Sorry for thread 'hijack' but I got the comment about the chamfer when the cabinet was glued to I think it's better to make sure everything is good before it's all glued! :lol:
                                                                            Last edited by theSven; 02 May 2023, 11:37 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• diamondjoequimb
                                                                              Member
                                                                              • Jul 2012
                                                                              • 43

#39
                                                                              I'm an idiot. I didn't even think about the fact it is ~3" cutout for the speaker and a 5" opening in the mid tunnel. It is fine.

Name:	B8568169-CA7C-43D0-A3D4-AFE4C1406E43-13053-000008A166674FEC.webp
Views:	112
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	934932
                                                                              Last edited by theSven; 02 May 2023, 11:38 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• diamondjoequimb
                                                                                Member
                                                                                • Jul 2012
                                                                                • 43

#40
                                                                                Finally, some progress. Got my bamboo veneer in, and attached to the cabinets. Currently wood-filling the edges where the router chewed them up. Hope to have that done in the next couple of days.

Name:	EE36362B-DA4D-4A44-BE63-8C1863A2B592-1665-000000C6DAABE1FA.webp
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	934933

Also, got all the deadening in the cabs as well.

Name:	804CA1E2-E90C-4F6B-846B-09E965960401-1665-000000C6DFD42CDF.webp
Views:	114
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	934934

And got the ports painted, and assembled. Also got the rear panels covered using 3M Scotchprint vinyl wrap. Here is what they should look like (minus the grill cloth covering the mid tunnel opening.)

Name:	57D1EE03-AA1D-48F0-B8F4-16C44B91F55D-1665-000000C6E422BF7F.webp
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	934935

Now only a few days before I can start polishing!
                                                                                Last edited by theSven; 02 May 2023, 11:39 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• john trials
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • Mar 2009
                                                                                  • 449

#41
                                                                                  That rear panel with the vinyl wrap looks great. Can you post a photo of the mid tunnel area of wrap? How did you get the vinyl wrapped so smoothly around that edge?
                                                                                  Statements: "They usually kill the desire to build anything else."

Comment

• diamondjoequimb
                                                                                    Member
                                                                                    • Jul 2012
                                                                                    • 43

#42
                                                                                    Originally posted by john trials
                                                                                    That rear panel with the vinyl wrap looks great. Can you post a photo of the mid tunnel area of wrap? How did you get the vinyl wrapped so smoothly around that edge?
                                                                                    That one is actually not perfect. I cut the reliefs a little to big and had to fill in a few spots w/ a sharpie. It looks good unless you get right on top of it. Plust, I ran out of material and the rest came out reall good so I'm going ot live with it. The other one I just kept heating and stretching and it worked all the way around the 1/2" roundover. That stuff is crazy pliable when you apply some heat. I'll post a pic of the good one when I get home.

Comment

• WilZirkle
                                                                                      Member
                                                                                      • Aug 2011
                                                                                      • 88

#43
                                                                                      Looking good

Comment

• diamondjoequimb
                                                                                        Member
                                                                                        • Jul 2012
                                                                                        • 43

#44
                                                                                        Here's a closer view of the mid tunnel roundover covered in 3M Scotchprint. This stuff is pretty awesome. I've used it on auto installs before and thought it perfect for this. For anyone wanting to use it I recommend using the 3M 94 Primer/adhesion promoter. It's great on porous surfaces like MDF.

Name:	D007D5BA-4A24-40D1-B00B-CB2067FA7822-4149-0000021CE9568775.webp
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	934936

And here are the filled and sanded cabinets. I just put a light coat of water to raise the grain so I can sand it perfectly smooth before applying the dye and starting the polishing.

Name:	9E5E59B7-C935-4162-8BB3-B0C9B264D3EA-4149-0000021CE0CF2C5A.webp
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	934937

And the first coat of dye:

Name:	2E51A2AD-F6E3-4C6B-A042-C2A46CAE7299-4149-0000021FAB403C94.webp
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	934938

And a thank you to the wife for not saying boo about me commandeering the dining room table for a while. :B
                                                                                        Last edited by theSven; 02 May 2023, 11:40 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                                          Mad Max Moderator
                                                                                          • Aug 2000
                                                                                          • 15282

#45
                                                                                          Dining room table. Wow. That's supportive. She's a keeper. I won't even let ME use the dining room table!
                                                                                          the AudioWorx
                                                                                          Natalie P
                                                                                          M8ta
                                                                                          Modula Neo DCC
                                                                                          Modula MT XE
                                                                                          Modula Xtreme
                                                                                          Isiris
                                                                                          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                                          Minerva Monitor
                                                                                          Calliope
                                                                                          Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                                          Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                                                                                          Obi-Wan
                                                                                          Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                                                                                          Modula PWB
                                                                                          Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                                          Natalie P Ultra
                                                                                          Natalie P Supreme
                                                                                          Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                                                                                          Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"