X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ratchetfps
    • Jun 2010

Finishing Touches for a Flat Finish?

I'm driving towards the tail end of my mini statements project, and am hoping some experienced masters can help me get to the finish line.

Right now I am trying to decide what final steps I should take to get a really nice flat finish. Here's what I've already done:

- Coated cabs in wood glue/water solution to seal
    - Sanded with 80grit
    - Coated cabs in wood glue/water solution
    - Sanded with 320grit
    - Applied primer (Rustoleum Pro High Perf. Enamel Primer)
    - Wetsanded with 600grit
    - Applied color (Rustoleum Pro High Perf. Enamel Flat Black)
    - Westanded with 600grit
    - Applied color (Rustoleum Pro High Perf. Enamel Flat Black)

Now I am left with a reasonable finish (in most places), but am still facing a bit of orange peal and a rough spot or two due to overspray from the front. Overall, it looks quite good and I think I would be happy by just wiping the entire thing down with some acetone, but I am wondering if there are some specific tips for flat finish. I have read countless threads about piano black finish and high gloss approaches and am wondering if any of these techniques should be used for a flat black finish.

Things I am considering:
    - Wetsand with 2000grit followed by rubbing compound
    - Rubbing compound only

Does anyone have any advice to obtain a dead flat finish? I am thinking about avoiding rubbing compound altogether because I fear it may cause some shine. What should I do to finish this up while keeping it nice and flat?
  • Wheels
    • Oct 2008

When you say flat, do you mean perfectly smooth, or no reflection? If it were the latter I would say you could apply a flat sheen clearcoat on top of your paint. If its perfectly smooth, I don't know.

Comment

• cjd
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Dec 2004

If you're getting orange peel, it sounds like you're either spraying too heavy/slow or too thick (if it's not rattle-can, in which case you have no control over this) or both. To get it super silky smooth those last coats should be laid down quickly, and without adding much depth, with a 2000grit wet-sand between.

I think...

Been a while since I've sprayed and never gone for a flat finish, always gloss (with a spray) excepting the projection screen painting project I undertook.
      diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• David G
        • Jan 2005

I found that a final coat of matt clear coat looks really nice and natural.

Comment

• Wheels
          • Oct 2008

Originally posted by cjd
          If you're getting orange peel, it sounds like you're either spraying too heavy/slow or too thick (if it's not rattle-can, in which case you have no control over this) or both. To get it super silky smooth those last coats should be laid down quickly, and without adding much depth, with a 2000grit wet-sand between.

I think...

Been a while since I've sprayed and never gone for a flat finish, always gloss (with a spray) excepting the projection screen painting project I undertook.
          If it is a rattle can, you're just going to have to move faster. I just painted 2 cabinets with krylon flat black and had no orangle peel. granted it wasn't enamel, but CJD is right, too much paint per coat will create an orange peel texture

Comment

• ratchetfps
            • Jun 2010

Appreciate the replies! When I say flat, I mean perfectly smooth with as little reflection as possible. A satin-like finish would be fine, so I'm leaning towards the rubbing compound. The only concern I have is that rubbing compound is traditionally part of a multistep process to achieve maximum shine (with buffing and waxing after). I suppose I'll have to do a test spot and see how it goes 8O

Comment

• Wheels
              • Oct 2008

If after you are done with the rubbing compound, get a clearcoat with a flat sheen and put it on top, very lightly, even over places you didn't have to sand it shiny. Mask off anywhere you don't want it so you don't get any overspray and as long as you keep it clean (and not too heavy) it should dry smooth.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"