X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • philip_g
    • Dec 2005

nailgun technique question

I picked up some 1/4" staples for my brad/staple gun, but the dumb thing can't shoot an inch long staple through a single piece of 3/4 MDF, let alone any kind of joint.
    I've never used this dumb thing before, but I'm feeding it the max pressure (100 PSI) is there a technique I'm supposed to know and don't?

Is it worth picking up some 1-1/4" 18ga brads? One leg is easier to drive than two I figure.
  • PMazz
    • May 2001

Are you sure the staples are the right size? All of our guns (Duofast) shoot 3/16" staples. The brads are fine for building enclosures, as long as you don't manhandle them too much before the glue sets.

Pete
    Birth of a Media Center

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

I don't use staples in MDF. And yes I use the 1 1/4" brads to tack things together until the glue dries. I run the pressure around 80 PSI
      Last edited by ThomasW; 02 January 2006, 16:07 Monday.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• philip_g
        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by PMazz
        Are you sure the staples are the right size? All of our guns (Duofast) shoot 3/16" staples. The brads are fine for building enclosures, as long as you don't manhandle them too much before the glue sets.

Pete
        Yes, 1/4" 18ga, max length 1-1/4"
        I'll try some brads.

Comment

• philip_g
          • Dec 2005

brads are definitely the way to go. :T

Comment

• taz13
            • Jun 2004

Check to make sure that the staplegun itself is dialed up to max penatration. Different brands are adjusted different ways. Check your manual to see how it is adjusted. My porter cable will drive the staples through 3/4" MDF and inset the staples about 1/16 to 3/32" deep with the pressure cycling between 80 to 100 psi.
            The day is not complete if something new is not learnt.
            Taz/Rick/Richard/Ricardo

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"