X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BilGe
    • Apr 2007

Suggestions for UPS power backiup

Yesterday it happened again ... I am SERIOUSLY annoyed!

The power at my house failed twice in about 30 seconds. The total outage was only 40 seconds or so. The first outage was only 5 seconds, then the power was on for about 15 seconds, then it went out for about 30 seconds. When it was all over, my RSP-1068 had reset itself to factory settings. Over the years this has happened several times. The RSP-1068 will normally remember settings through a power failure (I get power blinks on average once a week), but every now and then something happens to make it do a complete factory reset.

It will take me an hour or more to get all the settings put back in it, assuming I remember what they all are. ARGH!!!! Adding insult to injury - I need to reset my ATSC tuner and display monitor as well.

I have tried ordinary stepped sine wave computer UPS units. The RSP-1068 will not stay turned on when such a unit is running on batteries. It appears to need a "pure sine wave" type of UPS. Prices have come down quite a bit. The last time I looked sucha unit was well over $1k.

Question: What do you all use to protect your settings against power failures?

I found this on Amazon. It is representative - there are over a thousand hits for other items like it. Would this or something like it work?

Thanks - Bill Gee
  • Glen B
    Super Senior Member
    • Jul 2004

You need a UPS made for audio, not computer equipment. Look at audio UPS products from the likes of APC, Panamax, Belkin PureAV and Furman Sound.

Furman F1000-UPS, $569.99 retail online at Musician's Friend

Furman Sound UPS Products

Panamax UPS Products

Comment

• Face
      • Mar 2007

Look for an online style UPS. One that the components feed off the battery at all times, not one that switches over during a brownout or blackout.
      SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• BilGe
        • Apr 2007

Hi Glen - The two items you provide links to both say they are "Simulated Sine Wave" output. Is that adequate? The CyberPower device that I linked to says it is "Pure Sine Wave". Have you used these devices to protect an RSP-1068 or similar?

Hi Face - Price is an object. Online UPS systems are quite a bit more expensive than a standby. This problem is annoying ... but not $600 annoying!

How about this device? It is the upper end of what I am willing to spend. APC is pretty proud of their systems.

Thanks - Bill Gee

Comment

• function12
          • Oct 2007

I have one like this that my monster power center is plugged into. Works just fine for me.

Comment

• Bobpaule
            • Sep 2004

Furman highest end power conditioners all around for a year now.

But for a UPS I would only get this one:

My reason is simple, we got hit by lighting on Labor Day last year and only the computers behind this survived.
            Even the 12 headset Uniden base station survived, with the RJ-11 circuit sacrificing itself to protect the unit. I am
            impressed, very impressed. TrippLite are pure xxxx, did not save my gaming Alienware rig and the
            living room setup, State Farm got me the top of the line Aurora to replace it (or money for it).
            IT-Reference 20i(amps/sub) & Elite-20PFi(low current) > Harmony-659 > Marantz-UD9004(bal.2+RCA7.1)/Sony UBP-X800/AppleTV-64GB/Dell Latitude 5490 w. W15 dock > Marantz-AV8805 & Classé-CP700(bypass)/King-Cobra-all > Epson-LS10500/Carada-1.4/Samsung QN32Q50RAFXZA secondary monitor/music-ARC> Classé CA-2200 & CA-5100, two Zamp v.3 7.4.1> Belden 10AWG/silver/gold > Paradigm-S8v.2-7.1.4(Servo15v2/P-80A)

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"