X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SteveL
    • Mar 2005

Furman, PowerVar, or ???

The home theater is finally complete, and consists of:

Room = 22x15x8.5, 2x6 construction, soundboard + 5/8" DW + R25 insulation all around; 2 rows of 4 Coaster black leather seats (2nd row is on a 10" riser)

Front stage = 15'x3'x3', loaded with 4 Ascendant Audio AV18's (IB) and equipment rack (IB = 95,000 liters)

Panasonic AE700U projector, 133" DIY screen (16:9)

Denon 4806
    Crest CA-18
    Behringer BFD
    Denon 3910
    Dish 942
    Klipsch RF-7's (7-channel)

So my question is, what would you use for a power conditioner? The CA-18 is on its own, dedicated 30A circuit. The A/V equipment is on 2 dedicated 20A circuits (the receiver/dvd/behringer/dish are on one circuit; the projector is on a second). I've got no noise in the system (that I can detect, although I am running my coax from the dish through a second grounding block and a 3GHz isolator as well), but my power is a bit irregular...

I've got a Furman PM-Pro Series II 20A filter that I'm running right now, but I've got a line on a PowerVar ABC 1200-11 for $75. Is it worth it? Will using it be overkill? Should I be using something else?

I'd love to UPS my projector, but I didn't know how to do it, since it's ceiling mounted and pulling power from a ceiling mounted switch... any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
    No, that's not me in my avatar.
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

The Furman has EMI/RFI filters and surge protection. A better bet than the Furman is whole house surge protection.

A UPS is a good idea for any digital projector, if only to keep the cooling fans operating in the event of a sudden power failure.

Ferroresonant transformers will stabilize minor power fluxuations. But they're loud under load, and the power supplies built-in most equipment can compensate for those same minor variations.

PowerVar's are isolation transformers. They'll help clean up noisey power but don't offer the benefits of balanced power. You won't however find a balanced power tranny for $75.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"