X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rob W.
    • Jan 2005

Need help with Zenith dvb318 settings!

I got this Zenith 318 and tried hooking it up to my Sony Wega 36" crt tv but my Sony won't accept progressive scan signals. I want to use component outs from the dvd because of the better picture but I don't know how to change the player settings back to interlace. I tried contacting Zenith and the tech guy said I couldn't and had to use the s-video, but some other person at Zenith told me via email to play a dvd, press stop, remove the dvd and hold stop for 5 seconds and the player would reset to normal output mode. I tried that and it's still in progressive scan mode. Please help me if anyone knows how to do this.
    Thanks,
    Rob
  • rick c
    • Aug 2004

if you dont have component on your tv you have to use the svideo.

Comment

• Rob W.
      • Jan 2005

The Sony does have it

Rick, my sony does have the component inputs. It just doesn't accept p-scan. What I'm trying to do is get my Zenith to output reg. interlace through the component outs.
      Thanks.

Comment

• number17
        • Jul 2004

Rob, does your Sony WEGA takes HD signal? I'd assume it does because most (if not all) people buy this DVD player for its ability to upconvert DVD signal to HD signal

The component output of the Zenith 318 will only output HD signal in the form of 480p, 720p and 1080i.

If by saying 'my tv doesn't take progressive signal' you mean it will not take 480p or 720p, you can go with 1080i interlaced HD signal. Just press the 'upconvert' button on the front of your DVD player (it's not available on your remote!) when you are not playing any DVD.

But if your WEGA TV doesn't take any HD signal at all then you're out of luck. You can connect via S-Video but then it defeat the purpose of the Zenith 318, which is to upconvert to HD.

Comment

• JonMarsh
          Mad Max Moderator
          • Aug 2000

The Zenith does not output interlaced video on component. The component outputs in the Zenith come after the Faroudja DCDi chip, and only progressive scan outputs are available. You'll have to use the S-Video outputs with your Sony.

The main thing the Zenith does well is upscaling to 1080i, including with video based sources which give many DVD players problems. It's not really a good match to your Sony 36"; you should look for an inexpensive interlaced output player - preferrably one free of the CUE bug (Chroma Upscaling Error) so that when you do have a progressive set some day, you'll get clean color reproduction. Check the Benchmark tests for DVD players at Secrets of Home Theatre and High Fidelity.

~Jon
          the AudioWorx
          Natalie P
          M8ta
          Modula Neo DCC
          Modula MT XE
          Modula Xtreme
          Isiris
          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
          Minerva Monitor
          Calliope
          Ardent D

In Development...
          Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
          Obi-Wan
          Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
          Modula PWB
          Calliope CC Supreme
          Natalie P Ultra
          Natalie P Supreme
          Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
          Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Rob W.
            • Jan 2005

Thanks guys for the info. I appreciate it.
            Rob

Comment

• sixwest
              • Mar 2005

Zenith using DVI

I recently had to flash back to the DVI version of the 318 using the firmware upgrades at this link:

I can't get a picture using my HDMI now and noticed that the supplied cable was a straight DVI - DVI connection.

Do I need to get a DVI/HDMI adapter for this cable in order to use the HDMI port on my TV?

Or am I missing another procedure somewhere?

Thanks!

Comment

• nfsmith
                • Mar 2005

Zenith DVB318 Using DVI

There was an insert with my DVB318 Owners' Manual. It states that with DVI, you should turn the TV on FIRST, before turning on the DVB318.

Perhaps you missed that, and hopefully it will solve your problem... otherwise, good luck!

-nfsmith

Originally posted by sixwest
                I recently had to flash back to the DVI version of the 318 using the firmware upgrades at this link:

I can't get a picture using my HDMI now and noticed that the supplied cable was a straight DVI - DVI connection.

Do I need to get a DVI/HDMI adapter for this cable in order to use the HDMI port on my TV?

Or am I missing another procedure somewhere?

Thanks!

Comment

• Uncle Clive
                  Former Moderator
                  • Jan 2002

Originally posted by Rob W.
                  I got this Zenith 318 and tried hooking it up to my Sony Wega 36" crt tv but my Sony won't accept progressive scan signals. I want to use component outs from the dvd because of the better picture but I don't know how to change the player settings back to interlace. I tried contacting Zenith and the tech guy said I couldn't and had to use the s-video, but some other person at Zenith told me via email to play a dvd, press stop, remove the dvd and hold stop for 5 seconds and the player would reset to normal output mode. I tried that and it's still in progressive scan mode. Please help me if anyone knows how to do this.
                  Thanks,
                  Rob

ROB........... what you could do is take the unit back to the store where you bought it and ask them to hook it up to a unit with HD inputs, this way you will be able to see the menu and change the settings. NOTE: - If your remote has an I/P button on it that would be the one to use to switch back to interlace (before taking it back though).
                  CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"