X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 97disco
    • Dec 2008

Rotel RDV-1060 vs Panasonic BD55?

I just picked up a Rotel RDV-1060 for $40! Heck, for that price I wanted to see how it would preform and wanted something that would match my current system.

Keep in mind, I'm no high roller (obviously). My current setup is:

Rotel RSP-1066
    Rotel RMB 1075
    B&W 703 (L/R)
    B&W HTM7
    B&W ASW 850
    B&W 303 (rear)

I connected the RDV-1060 via toslink (Audioquest optilink-1) and the same with the Panasonic BD-55.

2CH Music
    Surprisingly, there is not that 'much' of a difference. I think i prefer the sound from the Rotel and it seems more detailed, but I just haven't put enough testing time to it.

Is this because I'm using digital out and letting the RSP do the decoding?

VIDEO
    The Panasonic BD55 was one of the better choices 3 years ago when I bought it. 7.1 audio output, great reviews, etc. But when I did a video comparison (rotel via Component video and the Panasonic via HDMI) I thought the Panasonic would outperform with "upscaling". Honestly I prefer the Rotel. When comparing an 2-D animation there is less pixelation with the Rotel. Colors are less vivid with the Rotel as well (not sure if this is a good or bad thing).

The Rotel also plays regular DVD's that the Panasonic won't due to scratches and such. (This alone has defiantly has sold the wife!)

Overall Im happy with it.

Just curious if anyone else using an RDV as an audio source. I "think" the Rotel does a better job, but would like to hear others experiences.

Thanks!
    B&W 704's
    B&W HTM7
    B&W DS7's (rears)
    B&W 850 Subwoofer
    Rotel RSP 1066
    Rotel RMB 1075
    Rotel RDV-1060
    B&W Zepplin
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

I don't have an RDV-1060, but I do have the RSP-1066.

For 2ch music, the 1066 DAC has never been responsible for audio epiphany. In all fairness, its primary design goal was HT performance, but with Rotel’s previous reputation for 2ch music reproduction that compared to equipment costing significantly more, some were surprised if not outright disappointed with its reproduction of 2ch digital source material channeled through its processor.

I would humbly suggest you run, not walk to your nearest decent quality RCA cables and hook up the analog outputs of your RDV-1060 to the RSP-1066. I think the performance of the DAC in the RDV will surpass that of the one in the RSP.

As simple enough experiment worth at least a try.

JMHO YMMV
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• hurin
      • Sep 2009

The problem with component is that it's analog, so if you connect a DVD player to a flatscreen using component the signal will have to be converted twice, which will inevitably cause signal degradation.

It could be fun to have the RDV 1060 if you wanted a matcing setup and were technically minded. It shouldn't be to difficult to take the print from a BD player and build it into the cabinet of the rotel.

Comment

• 97disco
        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by hurin
        It could be fun to have the RDV 1060 if you wanted a matcing setup and were technically minded. It shouldn't be to difficult to take the print from a BD player and build it into the cabinet of the rotel.
        Now thats what I'm talking about!!!

I would love to try this. Has anyone attempted or succeeded doing this?
        B&W 704's
        B&W HTM7
        B&W DS7's (rears)
        B&W 850 Subwoofer
        Rotel RSP 1066
        Rotel RMB 1075
        Rotel RDV-1060
        B&W Zepplin

Comment

• 97disco
          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by wkhanna
          I would humbly suggest you run, not walk to your nearest decent quality RCA cables and hook up the analog outputs of your RDV-1060 to the RSP-1066. I think the performance of the DAC in the RDV will surpass that of the one in the RSP.

As simple enough experiment worth at least a try.

JMHO YMMV
          YES! I'm currently running all audio quest interconnects (Diamondbacks and Copperheads). I will definitely try this.

So you think the DAC's in the RDV is better than the RSP, especially with 2 CH audio?

What about the DAC's in the RDV compared to the Panasonic BD55?
          B&W 704's
          B&W HTM7
          B&W DS7's (rears)
          B&W 850 Subwoofer
          Rotel RSP 1066
          Rotel RMB 1075
          Rotel RDV-1060
          B&W Zepplin

Comment

• hurin
            • Sep 2009

In the long run you're probably better of getting a used RCD 1072 and not care about the analog capabilities of your BD/DVD player. I did, and doing so actually saved me money because it meant, I could buy the Oppo 80 instead of the Oppo 83.

I don't have much faith in expensive cables as problem solvers. It's not that cables can't be a problem, it's that on a 1-10 list of potential audio problems it should be the last one to worry about (acoustics is always number 1).
            I remember seeing a youtube video with a guy living in a condo (lots of concrete and glass) talking about how he had a separate power supply for his HiFi, and it was just sad since his power supply was the smallest of his problems.

As for replacing the interior of the 1060, I have not tried it. But here are my two cents.

Practice replacing an old DVD player before potentially ruining your BD player.
            Don't connect stuff you don't need, no point connecting the 'play' button if you use the remote.
            I assume you can use the IR sensor on the 1060 but I'm not sure.
            The biggest hurdle is the display, the drive uses standard measurements, but I doubt there is a BD player wit a display with the same dimensions as the one on the 1060, so you'll have to work around that somehow.
            Replacing the back panel will probably end up looking ugly, but who's going to care.

Comment

• 97disco
              • Dec 2008

As far as ripping it out and swapping out the guts of the unit I was more excited about the concept rather than tacking it myself.

Your absolutely right about the problem scale. I only have those fancy cables because I got 'em cheaper than the junk at BestBuy!
              B&W 704's
              B&W HTM7
              B&W DS7's (rears)
              B&W 850 Subwoofer
              Rotel RSP 1066
              Rotel RMB 1075
              Rotel RDV-1060
              B&W Zepplin

Comment

• wkhanna
                • Jan 2006

Originally posted by 97disco
                YES! I'm currently running all audio quest interconnects (Diamondbacks and Copperheads). I will definitely try this.
                When I said 'decent' I meant somewhat better than rat shack. Those fulfill the request.

So you think the DAC's in the RDV is better than the RSP, especially with 2 CH audio?

What about the DAC's in the RDV compared to the Panasonic BD55?
                Let your own ears be the judge. With 2ch music that you are V familiar with it won't be hard to tell.
                _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• 97disco
                  • Dec 2008

When I said 'decent' I meant somewhat better than rat shack. Those fulfill the request.

Let your own ears be the judge. With 2ch music that you are V familiar with it won't be hard to tell.

O.....M.....G!!!!

What a difference. In fact there is such a difference in the quality, image, sound stage and detail in the music I almost feel cheated using the RSP-1066.

I brought my wife into the room to see if she could tell a difference (keep in mind she could watch any movie from the speakers of the TV and still be happy). Even she said there was a big difference between the two.

I played various songs from some of my favorite albums and I have to tell you all, Im really impressed with the DAC's of the RDV-1060.

So im not sure where to go from here. Do I upgrade the RSP-1066 or upgrade to a RCD-1072? I've been leaning on the preamp, but not sure if the 1068 is that much better. Unfortunately the RSP-1069 and RSP-1098 have held their prices really well.

Either way, best $40 I've spent on my system!!! I can't imagine how much better the RCD-1072 will be over this.
                  B&W 704's
                  B&W HTM7
                  B&W DS7's (rears)
                  B&W 850 Subwoofer
                  Rotel RSP 1066
                  Rotel RMB 1075
                  Rotel RDV-1060
                  B&W Zepplin

Comment

• wkhanna
                    • Jan 2006

Oh dear! I’ve done it again.
                    Another poor innocent soul swept into the spiraling OCD abyss of systemmis upgraditis.

If you are serious about 2ch music, may I suggest you consider the option of obtaining a used decent performing 2ch pre-amp (RC-1070?). It can be incorporated into your HT set-up by running the pre-outputs from the RSP-1066 into one of the inputs on the 2ch pre. You will still be stuck with component out-put to your TV, but your 2ch music will be greatly improved.
                    _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• 97disco
                      • Dec 2008

Oh dear! I’ve done it again.
                      Another poor innocent soul swept into the spiraling OCD abyss of systemmis upgraditis.

If you are serious about 2ch music, may I suggest you consider the option of obtaining a used decent performing 2ch pre-amp (RC-1070?). It can be incorporated into your HT set-up by running the pre-outputs from the RSP-1066 into one of the inputs on the 2ch pre. You will still be stuck with component out-put to your TV, but your 2ch music will be greatly improved.

LOL!

I'm leaning towards upgrading DAC's, whatever is going to be the best route.

I don't know if getting a RSP-1098 or getting the RC-1070 would be the best options. Either way I very much enjoy the improvement, and because my digital library is larger than my CD collection, I would prefer to improve the DAC's somewhere.
                      B&W 704's
                      B&W HTM7
                      B&W DS7's (rears)
                      B&W 850 Subwoofer
                      Rotel RSP 1066
                      Rotel RMB 1075
                      Rotel RDV-1060
                      B&W Zepplin

Comment

• 97disco
                        • Dec 2008

Bill,

So are you suggesting setting the RSP-1066 L/R pre outputs into the RC-1070, then to the AMP?

Wouldn't the RSP be decoding and thus sending the decoded signal to the RC, or does the RC-1070 "correct" the analog signal?

Curious on how that all would work.

Also wonder if the 2-CH DAC's in the RC-1070 are better than the 1098.
                        B&W 704's
                        B&W HTM7
                        B&W DS7's (rears)
                        B&W 850 Subwoofer
                        Rotel RSP 1066
                        Rotel RMB 1075
                        Rotel RDV-1060
                        B&W Zepplin

Comment

• wkhanna
                          • Jan 2006

Disco,

Just so you understand where I am coming from, 2ch music, primarily vinyl, is the raison d’être of my system, but I have a RSP-1066 incorporated for tv & occasional movies. All my advice is geared toward better reproduction of 2ch music, digital or analog.

I suggested the RC-1070 so you could keep your HT as it is and then just run the front L & R speakers from the 1066 to a set of inputs to a dedicated 2ch pre when using video. You could then run analog outputs from the RDV-1060 and any other analog source to the other inputs on the 2ch pre just for music. In my estimation, this is an inexpensive way to upgrade your system’s 2ch music performance.

But if you are looking for a decent DAC for See Dee’s and want to incorporate your digital music data base into your system, I have another option for you to investigate. Simply add a Schitt Bifrost DAC between your computer & RSP-1066. Then upgrade to a better analog 2ch pre later.

I am beginning to rip Hi-Res files of my vinyl to play thru my system. FWIW, after months of investigation, this is the DAC I will be using in my system.

link to Schiit Bifrost DAC
                          Last edited by wkhanna; 03 November 2011, 21:11 Thursday.
                          _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• wkhanna
                            • Jan 2006

Bill,

So are you suggesting setting the RSP-1066 L/R pre outputs into the RC-1070, then to the AMP?
                            Yes, this will provide audio signal for when you are running your video sources. You can run your music that has been processed by the RCD DAC to another input on the RC-1070.

Wouldn't the RSP be decoding and thus sending the decoded signal to the RC, or does the RC-1070 "correct" the analog signal?
                            You only want to run digital video audio signals (DVD's, TV etc.) thru the RSP-1066. The RC-1070 is an analog pre (no DAC). It will not convert digital signals to analog. You can run all your (analog) converted music to the other inputs on the RC-1070.

Also wonder if the 2-CH DAC's in the RC-1070 are better than the 1098.
                            Again, there is no DAC in the RC-1070. It is an analog pre-amp. The RSP can also be used as an analog pre, that is what you are doing now when allow the RDV-1060's DAC to process the digital data on a CD to an alalog signal and send it via the RCA outputs to the RSP-1066's analog input. But the RSP-1066 is not going to perform as well in this application as the RC-1070.

I hope I have you thoroughly confused, now!
                            _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• 97disco
                              • Dec 2008

Again, there is no DAC in the RC-1070. It is an analog pre-amp. The RSP can also be used as an analog pre, that is what you are doing when allow the RDV-1060's DAC to process the digital data on a CD to an alalog signal and send it to the RSP-1066's analog input. But the RSP-1066 is not going to perform as well in this application as the RC-1070.
                              LOL. its making sense.

I guess my question is if there will be any sonic differences between this proposed setup vs the RSP-1068 or the RSP-1098.

Selling the 1066 and moving up really isn't going to cost that much more, but the question is whats going to sound better. :T
                              B&W 704's
                              B&W HTM7
                              B&W DS7's (rears)
                              B&W 850 Subwoofer
                              Rotel RSP 1066
                              Rotel RMB 1075
                              Rotel RDV-1060
                              B&W Zepplin

Comment

• wkhanna
                                • Jan 2006

The question is, ‘make what sound better’?
                                Do you want to improve your multi-channel surround sound or your 2ch music?
                                Simply upgrading your AVR will improve both somewhat.
                                Implementing a DAC and/or a 2ch analog pre will improve your 2ch music to a much greater degree but do nothing for multi-channel surround.
                                _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• 97disco
                                  • Dec 2008

Mainly I would like to improve my 2 Channel music, but now Im more confused on the direction I would like to take right now. (DAC, PREAMP or 2CH Analog PRE).

Thanks Bill (LOL).
                                  B&W 704's
                                  B&W HTM7
                                  B&W DS7's (rears)
                                  B&W 850 Subwoofer
                                  Rotel RSP 1066
                                  Rotel RMB 1075
                                  Rotel RDV-1060
                                  B&W Zepplin

Comment

• wkhanna
                                    • Jan 2006

Adding a stand-alone DAC will allow you to play your files from your computer and any See Dee's you have.

You can use any transport (DVD player or CD player) and output the digital signal to the DAC via the optical or coax output. And with a DAC that has USB input, you can play all the music you have on computer thru your system.

A newer DAC like the Schiit Bifrost will out-perform the RDV's DAC for your SeeDee's. Any lossless files from your computer will sound at least as good if not better than the SeeDee's they came from & you can run Hi-Res files, too.
                                    _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• mickster1972
                                      • Feb 2005

FWIW, after months of investigation, this is the DAC I will be using in my system.

link to Schiit Bifrost DAC
                                      Bill,

Have you purchased this DAC? I took a look at the website and am very intrigued. I don't see any professional reviews of it yet, but their other products seem to be well received so far. Looking for an affordable DAC for the office to go along with the 2-channel amp I am contemplating... have narrowed it down to the Musical Fidelity VDAC, this one and a few others. Would love to read about your listening impressions.

-Sean
                                      "MMMMMMM..... Floor Pie..... Marge, where's the silver digging thing?"

-Homer

Comment

• june
                                        • Feb 2005

hello wkhanna,

for 2-channel sound, will a rc preamp sound better than my current rsp-976?
                                        June
                                        "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"

Comment

• wkhanna
                                          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by mickster1972
                                          Bill,

Have you purchased this DAC? ........ I don't see any professional reviews of it yet......

-Sean
                                          Greetings, Sean!

Sadly, my order for the Bifrost has been put on temporary hold for a few weeks. I hope to have it before the end of January. There is an extensive thread over at Head-Fi.org dedicated to the Bifrost DAC. It has only been shipping for a few weeks, hence the lack of ‘Professional’ reviews. Here is a link to a review by one of their contributors.

Obviously, most of the comments in the thread are regarding its performance via headphones, but some are using it via speakers and the vast majority of impressions are extremely positive.

The overwhelming consensus is placing it at the top of the heap in the under $1K DAC category. Quite the value at $350 w/o USB, $450 with USB. After burn-in, reports are nearly unanimous praising its high level of detail, micro-dynamics, noiseless background & tonal balance. Some have criticized its ultimate lack of bass authority, but this seems to be the impression of only those who are accustomed to throbbing, bloated and exaggerated bass as opposed to clean, tight, realistic and musical performance in the lower frequencies.

In general, it is outperforming DACs like the CA DacMagic, MF VDAC and Benchmark; designs that have held forth well, but are beginning to show their age as advancement in the consumer electronics design technology rolls forward at an exponential rate.

Cambridge Audio is soon to release an updated version of the DacMagic, and best guess is it will be nearly identical to the same DAC used the CA 840 CDp. I’m guessing, based solely on what others have said up to this point and having heard the 840 in my own system, the Bifrsot may present itself with no shame in the same arena.

Other news from Schiit (I’ve exchanged numerous emails with co-owner/designer, Jason) foretells the arrival of their Statement DAC. This much anticipated design based on a higher end price point from the company’s founders Jason Stoddard, formerly of Sumo, and Mike Moffat, formerly of Theta, is due to hit the street around the end of 2012’s 1st quarter at less than $1k. I know one person (say hello to the nice people, PewterTA) who most likely will be on the pre-order list.

Enjoy!
                                          Last edited by wkhanna; 22 December 2011, 22:48 Thursday.
                                          _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• wkhanna
                                            • Jan 2006

Originally posted by june
                                            hello wkhanna,

for 2-channel sound, will a rc preamp sound better than my current rsp-976?
                                            Hi June!

I can't say if you will like the sound better. Is this for your 2nd system? The 976 was one of Rotel's first MC processors, I would guess you would notice better performance in 2ch mode with an RC. With patience, a used one in good condition could be found at a V reasonable price. At worst, you could roll it over if you found you didn't like it. Last I saw, Emotive was offering deep discounts on most of their line, too.

As always, JMHO, YMMV

Enjoy!
                                            Last edited by wkhanna; 22 December 2011, 22:52 Thursday.
                                            _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• june
                                              • Feb 2005

bill,

this is my 2nd system. also not interest the emotiva 2-channel preamp. i just thought a rotel 2-channel preamp would sound better than the rsp-976 unit. i saw a good deal on a rsp-1066 on audiogon but it's not there anymore. things happen for a reason just looking for a christmas present for me.
                                              June

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                • Jan 2006

If I remember, you have the 1066. I would hold out for an RC for your 2nd system, if it were me. 2ch performance is just not in the DNA of the RSP-1066.

If you are determined to stay with Rotel that's fine. I know esthetics still can be a significant factor, especially for a 2nd system, keeping a clean & simple look. But if it's not a deal breaker for you, I would humbly suggest looking at a few specific models of used Carver pre’s. A refurbished C-9 is surprisingly affordable and will put shame on the face of many other units at 4x the price. I know were to find some if your interested.

Happy holidays!
                                                _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                  • Jan 2006

Originally posted by mickster1972
                                                  "MMMMMMM..... Floor pie..... Marge, Where's the silver digging thing?"
                                                  My all-time favorite line from the 'Simpsons'!
                                                  _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• june
                                                    • Feb 2005

thanks bill,

i have the rsp-1068 in the main system, rsp-1066 in the bedroom now looking for a 2-channel system. the rsp-976 is good but i think a RC may be better. also using energy rc-30's in the 2-channel system.
                                                    June

Comment

• june
                                                      • Feb 2005

bill,

i just bidded on a rc-1070 on ebay. we'll see.
                                                      June

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                        • Jan 2006

Excellent!

Best of luck!
                                                        _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• june
                                                          • Feb 2005

hello bill,

i got out bidded for rc-1070. this means i'm keeping the rsp-976. the sound isn't bad. i may also upgrade the skyfm internet radio station to premium or get xm in the house. but thanks for all your help & happy holidays!!!
                                                          June

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                            • Jan 2006

Sorry to hear, but just be patient, you will find one.
                                                            Thanks so much for the well wishes.
                                                            And the same to you, may your holidays be grand!
                                                            _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• june
                                                              • Feb 2005

hello bill,

a saw a rsp-1066 for sale. will this unit sound better than my rsp-976?
                                                              for 2-channel use only.
                                                              June

Comment

• 97disco
                                                                • Dec 2008

Well the oppo has been put on hold. I've been having to do a lot of traveling so I picked up a pair of B&W P5 headphones.

May be a couple months before I can look at the bluray issue.

June, I've heard the RSP-1066 is not much different that the 976.
                                                                B&W 704's
                                                                B&W HTM7
                                                                B&W DS7's (rears)
                                                                B&W 850 Subwoofer
                                                                Rotel RSP 1066
                                                                Rotel RMB 1075
                                                                Rotel RDV-1060
                                                                B&W Zepplin

Comment

• june
                                                                  • Feb 2005

thanks 97disco
                                                                  June

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                                    • Jan 2006

Hi, June!

Sorry for the late response, been a bit under the weather lately.
                                                                    I would humbly recommend you stay away from the RSP-1066 if its intended use is for 2-ch only.

As always,
                                                                    JMHO YMMV
                                                                    _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• june
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Feb 2005

Hello Bill,

I hope you feel better soon.
                                                                      The rsp-1066 deal fell through also.
                                                                      I'm going to leave well enought alone.
                                                                      The rsp-976 is okay for listening to jazz.
                                                                      June

Comment

Working...
                                                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                      Search Result for "|||"