X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sirbogey
    • Mar 2006

progressive on RDV1060

My RDV1060 came back from Rotel with an exchanged tray. When I put in a DVD or CD, it takes like 10 secs for the disc to load. This was a matter of 2-3 secs before. What have they done to it?

Another question: I changed the picture to watch a movie in progressive mode. When I do that, the RDV1060 turns off for couple of secs, then reloads, which is normal, then the projected screen appears, but screen is being resized to a smaller screen, actually more like a 4:3 format. So I'm wondering what settings I need to play with. I've been surfing the OSDs and browsing the manuals of the RDV1060 and RSP1098, but can't find anything wrong with it. (everything is hooked up with component cables).
  • fordster
    • Feb 2005

That's odd, you're not having much luck with your 1060! I had a look at my menu settings and it's set to progressive on and screen format is widescreen. I must admit I've always had it set up this way and have not experimented with turning progressive off and back on. Could it be a setting on your display that is different depending on whether or not it is receiving a progressive or interlaced signal?
    Dave

Comment

• sirbogey
      • Mar 2006

hmm, I'm getting nowhere with this player... ordering an Oppo971 for DVDs and will get some decent separate CD player in the future..

Comment

• fordster
        • Feb 2005

Didn't I read somewhere that Oppos are no good for PAL? I've been considering the whole DVD player thing recently but am not sure what to do. It seems almost impossible to buy a reliable DVD player with good picture quality and no faults. Almost every player seems to have some quirk be it PAL output quality, deinterlacing, upscaling, macro blocking, CD replay, etc. How hard can it be?
        Dave

Comment

• sirbogey
          • Mar 2006

Haven't read that anywhere. I ordered the Oppo yesterday from the States, can't go wrong with $200. If you want to I can let you know if there are problems with PAL. Just drop me a pm. It looks like the problem with the progressive scan on the RDV1060 went away, don't really know why, I played around with so many settings all over the place. The "slow loading" still persists and the spinning of DVDs is not as loud as it used to be... keep my fingers crossed.

Comment

• Vicente
            • May 2004

I follow the mundodvd forum in Spain (DVDWorld is the translation) and everybody using the Oppo is very happy with its PQ, but always using the DVI (there is a new unit that has HDMI) output.

It seems that there is not problem at all with PAL and as an owner of a rdv1060, I've been tempted to buy the Oppo for its superior picture quality (that is what all people says), but what I'm sure too is that the sound quality can't be the same.

So I'm in a terrible doubt if buying the new rdv1092 for a "mere" 1500 Euros or wait to the new Blue Ray units that it's said that they will upscale SD Dvd's to 1080p.

Comment

• bigburner
              Super Senior Member
              • May 2005

I'm an Oppo 971 owner and I can confirm that there's no problem with PAL.

The Faroudja chip in the 971 only works with the DVI output so I use DVI to connect to my 42" plasma. The PQ of the 971 is excellent. My only criticism of the DVI setup is that it does not allow me to use the stretch feature on my plasma - I can only get 4:3 or 16:9. I like the stretch feature because on 4:3 DVDs the people don't look like dwarves. The stretch feature only works with component input, but if you don't use the Faroudja chip then there's not much point in owning a 971.

The SQ of the 971 is a bit edgy so I plan to buy an external DAC to fix that problem. I watch a lot of music DVDs using a 2.1 sound setup so the sound needs to be good.

Comment

• chinets
                • Jun 2005

Sirbogey,
                I had the 1060 and so did a lot of friends of mine. We all gave them back to our dealer, as we all got duds or lemons as some would put it.
                Great player when it works!! All I know is that Rotel told me personally that they had major problems with the RDV 1060!!
                My 2 cents!!
                We all got ourselves Marantz DV 9600 and never looked back!!!
                I love Rotel equipment, NOW don't get me wrong, but the 1060 was problematic in all ways, so if you still have a warranty on it from your dealer or Rotel I would recommend changing it for something your ears like and has NO problems.
                When the 1060 played with NO Problems, I found the picture perfect and the DVD-A sensational!!
                Cheers!!

Comment

• Vicente
                  • May 2004

Chinets, I also had problems with my first 1060, but Rotel gave me a new unit (about a couple of years ago), and it's been working since then without fault.

It is a good player but if you get a new DVD player with a scaler you will notice sharper pictures (I'm using a projector so it is a big difference), no grain and like a deeper stage. That's what the rdv 1092 has, as I had the opportunity of try it at home.

As you have the Marantz 9600 you probably know about what I tell you, but please, can you tell us if you Marantz is better in sound than Rotel?

My dealer that also sells Marantz told me that this player (the 9600) wins hands down to the Rotel (well, it's 2000 Euros Marantz against 1500 Euros Rotel)so, everyday I'm more confused about buying the 1092, the Marantz, a cheap one with scaler, or wait till the new generation of Blue Ray players.

Comment

• chinets
                    • Jun 2005

Hola!! Vicente.....mi Amigo!!!!!

Hola Vicente,

I understand your issue perfectly as I had the RDV 1050 and RDV 1060 from Rotel. As you know I had to return my RDV 1060 back to the dealer, as I had so many problems with the RDV 1060,which includes Laser allignment problems, flickering and refusing to play on command!! :twisted: :M

As I was able to get a full credit for the Rotel RDV 1060, I decided to move away from Rotel such as the RDV 1092 ,because I truly believe that Rotel is good In their Amps and also their top end Pre/Pro 1098, but other than that, I think they have major problems with their DVD players ,so I justed didn't want to have the same nasty experience and taste in my mouth as I got burnt twice with Rotel with their RDV 1050 and 1060. ops:

Therefore, when I got my refund from my Rotel dealer, I decided to go to a different brand that was considered the best around, and that is where the DV 9600 came in ,after extensive research and auditions. :T 8) ;x(

Mind you when the Rotel RDV 1060 was working the picture and sound especially on DVD-A was stunning. :lol:

Now to answer your vital question: Well Mi amigo Vicente If 1080ip and upscaling for HDTV through HDMI is what you want ,with probably the best picture in the market today, well the Marantz DV 9600 will do that for you ,and you also will have DVD-A and SACD and a redbook capability that would put the 1060 under the carpet. :T Yes, the sound of the DVD-A and CD and In HT is way better than the 1060 in all ways. I found the DVD-A IN Rotel good ,but the DV 9600 is so Musical and has better dynamics and tighter bass and fuller detail with all the sound stage imaging in 3D WOW!! :E :T

So yes, if you compare the two you get ( for the DV 9600) SACD plus a better picture with scaling to 1080ip and better CD capability and finally the DVD-A is warmer and smoother and sounds better in Multichannel than the Rotel RDV 1060 IMHO :T ;x( :W

If you are into Multichannel Music and Love DVD-A and SACD and are crazy about 5.1 or 5.2 or even 7.1 HT go for thr DV 9600 as it is mesmerizing!! ;x( :P

By the way, there are more titles in SACD than DVD-A, so if you like Multichannel music then the DV 9600 is for you. SACD can be really WAY better than DVD-A if you have a good recording, like all the LINN SACD (as
                    DSD) recordings, that will give you dynamics that way surpass DVD-A, but it has that DVD-A feeling, that I am sure you are aware of since you auditioned the RDV 1092. :B

If you like Classical music and Jazz then the DV 9600 would be the best choice for you as SACD have thousands of titles that are Classical and Jazz.

DVD-A has various types of music including Jazz, classical and Rock or Pop.
                    so it is a more open taste ,but have very little titles to choose from
                    :evil:

You will benefit from the SACD if you are into Multichannel Music. When I had the Rotel, I was limited to a very few DVD-A titles to listen to, but now that I have the DV 9600 ,I have tons of SACD to listen my heart out as they have many titles out there. :W :roll:

As for the New formats such as HD-DVD and Blue Ray ,well I believe there are so few Titles out there that it would be worthless to buy such a player now when you have nothing to watch. These players don't have DVD-A or SACD so you lose that too!! :E I would wait for a year or 2 to purchase the NEW formats and you will see that the price of these player will go down. No Problem as you would be able to purchase a HD-DVD or Blue Ray player at a resonable price ,and add it to your system for HT ONLY ,and have the DV 9600 as your Music Audiophile Multichannel heaven with SACD and DVD-A and of course CD red book ,which plays better than many top end CD dedicated players. ;x( :T :E

Therefore, If I had a choice today to choose between the RDV 1092 and the Dv 9600, I would choose again the Marantz Dv9600 HANDS DOWN,as the formats of SACD and DVD-A and CD redbook will not change for a very long time and that DV 9600 will be your MUSIC WORLD and y the NEW formats such as HD-DVD and Blue Ray ,when they have more titles will be your DVD-Video heaven. You will have the best of both worlds. Isn't that worth while??? :B :T

The Dv 9600 with it's Multi -Analog surround capabilties with DVD-A and SACD will be around for a long time, and you will still get the best picture money can buy in DVD-Video ,until you decide to go with a dedicate player for HD-DVD or Blue Ray. Do I make sense here. :Z

I hope this has helped you in some way. ;x( :T

Bueno espero que tengas un buen dia amigo!!
                    Ciao and cheers!! ;x(
                    Keep me posted as to your final decision please.
                    Un abrazo, :W
                    Chinets ;x( :T

Comment

• Vicente
                      • May 2004

Well, Chinets, yor are doing my decission even more difficult. As you probably know the Marantz is even 500 Euros more expensive than the Rotel, and I was feeling like crazy to spend the 1500 Euros that the Rotel costs in Spain.

As a member of the mundodvd forum in Spain all the inputs you receive here is that the HD technologies are going to dethrone the SD DVD very soon with players that will upscale them to 1080.
                      I would feel guilty if I spend 1500 or 2000 Euros now and in one year you can get more o less the same (adding the HD capabilities but without DVD-A & SACD) for less money.

Another question is that I love the look of the Rotel RSX 1056 and the RDV1060 (or 1092) together.

Well, next step is that my dealer is getting me the new Denon 3930 so with a little luck I will be able to compare together the Rotel 1092, Marantz 9600 and Denon 3930 and maybe from that I will decide something.

Thanks for all your information. It's taking you a lot of time and I appreciate it very much. Of course I will tell you my decission.

Que tengas también un buen día amigo (have a good day too, my friend)

Comment

• chinets
                        • Jun 2005

Suerte...Vicente!!!!

Hermano Vicente,

I think you have a good plan, and will audition all the euipment prior to buying. :T That is perfect ,and the only way to do it ,especially that these players are quite expensive. :E 8O

The Marantz, to me, is a MUSIC Heaven box, with an added sensational DVD-Video , and will remain my Music box for SACD and DVD-A forever!!. ;x( I will get the NEW player that would play formats of HD-DVD and Blue Ray, when more titles are out, and when the prices fall. :W They believe that such a player, within 2 years, will fall to around $400 or less per player:
                        NOT BAD and I ill use it strictly for DVD-Video!! :T ;x( 8)

If you need any help, give me a PM ,and I will be more than happy to help or guide you to a safe landing for your equipment. :W

Mucha suerte amigo y espero que tengas un buen dia!! :T

Ciao y un abrazo,

Chinets 8)

Comment

• fordster
                          • Feb 2005

It's the Oppo 970 (not 971) that has PAL issues - "Important: Since the 970HD does not have 2:2 pull down for PAL film, we do not recommend it for PAL playback, other than via a scaler" (from a website in the UK that sells both). Knew I'd seen something somewhere. Most people seem to go for the 971 anyway so it's not a big issue.
                          Dave

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"