X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mave
    • Dec 2004

RSX 1056 Mystery

When I'm listening to the radio on my RSX 1056 and turn on my CD player the radio automatically shuts down (without touching the amp.) and the display shows "CD" but still shows the Pty/RDS etc radio data as well. I have to turn off my CD player in order to be able to listen to the radio again...........

Any ideas what causes this ??

Thanks !
  • soundhound
    • Mar 2004

A noise spike. If you can attach a wire between the 2 chasis and see what happens.

Comment

• mave
      • Dec 2004

What is a noise spike ?? (I'm Dutch so ..)
      I will try the wire, just adding it to screws from the chassis ? How will this solve the problem ?

Thanks

Comment

• soundhound
        • Mar 2004

Noise is a voltage spike, short in time, thus higher frequency, that can be induced into line voltage by many things, and if things are not grounded well, they tend to accept these "spikes" and react to them. By placing a wire from chasis to chasis you will ensure they are at a common ground potential, thus giving the spike a shorter path to ground rather than entering in to any circuitry. If that does the trick it is only showing you where the problem lies, it's really not a solution. Are you running you're gear thru any power conditioner or are they plugged directly into a wall outlet? I just re-read you're initial post again and had another quick thought, you're not running both devices on an extension cord, are you? Maybe 20 guage or lighter? When you say you have to shut the cd player off to be able to listen to radio again, do you mean actually power the cd player down?

Comment

• mave
          • Dec 2004

Thanks for the explanation.
          They are (together with TV, DVD, video) on an extention cord, a cheap simple one. I will have to buy a proper one.
          I just have to push the power button of the CD player to be able to listen to the radio. Rotel's servicedesk - who never heart of this problem - told me to bring the receiver back to factory mode, but that means I'll loose all settings so I'll try your advise first. Thanks !

Comment

• soundhound
            • Mar 2004

You are trying to pull to much current thru a small guage wire, and when you turn something on or off it is raising havoc with the voltage. It probably drops pretty low at the moment you turn something on (Transformers, any inductor, especially, consume inrush current when you first power them up) and the other components get underpowered for that moment, and when that happens, all bets are off. Meaning "anything" can happen.

Comment

• mave
              • Dec 2004

I have a 2 wall sockets each suitable for 2 plugs. 1 I use for my power amp. and subwoofer (each directly plugged in the wall) and in the other I plugged a new and better extention cord with a 5 piece socket at the end. In this I plugged the CD,receiver,TV,video and DVD.
              The better extention cord didn't help.

After that I disconnected the CD player from the amp. and put the plug in a seperate extention cord directly in the wall, but the problem is still there......

Underpower problems when switching on my CD might have caused a problem but it's strange that this didn't happen when I switched on the TV which consumes much more...

Comment

• soundhound
                • Mar 2004

Good point, did you try a wire from chasis to chasis between the reciever and cd? Trial and error will probably get you there, so you may also want to try to get the reciever off of the extension cord if you can. If need be allthough painful, plug the reciever directly into a wall outlet, and the cd in another, without anything else and see if the same symptoms occur. You don't need to hear anything (amp/sub unplugged) to be able to get it to react I assume. Divide and conquer is a good approach.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"