X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bandit788
    • Nov 2004

RSX-1056 vs. Class D Amplification

Question in short: Are all of you audiophiles happy with Class D amplification, compared to the older toroidal type amplification?

I have been putting off the purchase of a new receiver for nearly five years because I have always wanted a RSX-1056 to power my B&W 603's surround setup in our living room. However I finally wish to go HDMI. I have a 7.1 setup with the 603's bi-wired, the matching center and matching in ceiling/in walls to boot. When I purchased the B&W's I auditioned them with the Rotel RSX-1056, but due to my budget back then I purchased a Denon AVR-885 (2105) 90wx7 channels and have used it every since. The sound is good, but it has never sounded like the speakers did when pushed by the Rotel RSX-1056 at the store. I really wish to upgrade to a expensive receiver with HDMI options, but Rotel and everything else seems to be Class D amplification, not the older toroidal type amplification like the RSX-1056. Just nervous that the RSX-1560 is not going to have the sound that the RSX-1056 had. I remember the warmth and clarity no matter how hard I pushed my B&W's.

I have considered just buying a RSX-1056 and another pair of 603's to get that sound, and then just getting a nice receiver with HDMI to replace the Denon in our living room.

Thanks in advance for any input guys...and girls.

Shane
  • srb
    • Oct 2004

You might want to also consider the RSX-1550 which has a similar 5 X 75W/ch Class AB amplifier section as the RSX-1056.

If you later decide to upgrade or want 7.1 amplification, the savings over the RSX-1560 would get you halfway there (or all the way there, if used) to a nice separate Class AB 2-channel power amplifier for the front 2 channels, which would have more power than either Rotel receiver.

Unless you just prefer to have one component instead of two, which is also understandable.

Steve

Comment

• madmac
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2010

I understand you predicament!. There's no way the Denon is going to compete with Rotel in terms of sound and music performance. I would check into the new HDMI enabled Rotel receivers because I believe they use the same amps as the older one's.......but I could be mistaken. You have to decide if music is more important than movies really. If music performance is your thing, HDMI becomes less important in my opinion. I have the RSX-1057 and it completely rocks for music. Plain jane DD and DTS is fine with me for movies. I had a high end Yamaha before my Rotel and when I hooked up the Rotel to my speakers it was like hearing my music in a new way. The difference in sound was profound to say the least!!.
      Dan Madden :T

Comment

• srb
        • Oct 2004

Originally posted by madmac
        I would check into the new HDMI enabled Rotel receivers because I believe they use the same amps as the older one's.......but I could be mistaken.
        The RSX-1550 has a Class AB amplifier, 75W X 5 channels

The RSX-1560 has a Class D amplifier, 100W X 7 channels

Steve

Comment

• madmac
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2010

I would audition them and decide for yourself. Your ears are the best judge.
          Dan Madden :T

Comment

• bandit788
            • Nov 2004

Thank you all for your input, I think after careful consideration I am gonna go with a Rotel Two channel amp to connect to a Pioneer Elite Receiver until Rotel comes out with there next generation of receivers. They seem to have all the latest technology, and with the pre outs I can get my Rotel sound to my fronts.
            Thanks again

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"