X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Russ359
    • Feb 2005

REF 50 dropping audio

Hi. New to the this forum. Has any had problems with their REF 50 dropping audio for a second or so? I have a REF 30 up upgraded to the latest REF 50 ( about a week ago). My satellite feed is from a Direct TV HD TiVO. While listening the REF occasionally drops sound for a second. I know it is the REF because if I rewind the TiVO the sound is fine. Also, this happens on recorded programs as well.

Any ideas? Suggestions? Similar occurrences?

thanks
  • Hoopofficial
    • Dec 2004

I have a Ref 50 and had tons of issues with the audio dropout. Audio dropout was happening with my DVD, Cablebox and CD player. I returned it and they sent me a new one that does not have the problem. However, I think that I just got lucky because this is a common problem noted on several other forum boards. My new Ref 50 series one has other issues. B&K is quirky but I could not find a better value. I wanted to replace it but had to throw in another k or 2 to get that sounded as good. I didn't want to do that. I would contact them and see what they can do. I'm sure that they will look at it and try to replicate the problem. The problem is that you will be without it for a while. Good luck.

Comment

• Hoopofficial
      • Dec 2004

One last thing, check out my post REF50 and Denon 3910 compatibility issue. I posted this when I thought it was just a DVD issue. There are a couple of useful replies. Thanks.

Comment

• bubbawilly
        • Jan 2005

Check your plug and play settings in the "Advanced" menu. I don't recall all of their names/functions, but one should do the trick for you.

B&K's tech support can help. They may have enough experience by now with the HD TiVO boxes to make a recommendation on the spot.

Comment

• Russ359
          • Feb 2005

thanks,

Called B&K today. As you suggested they directed me into the "advanced'" menu under "plug and play timings". Increased the setting for "digital sticky" to "2.5" and decreased setting for "parameters sticky" to "0.6". B&K said to keep increasing and decreasing until problem goes away. Min on the "parameters sticky" he said was 0.1. So far so good at these, but we'll see. Other than this issue the sound is awesome. Recently got the new software. Music from a CD is significantly richer in my opinion. :lol:

Comment

• billnuts
            • Jan 2005

Same problem diffrent unit

I have the same problem, I have a B&K 507 S2
            Comcast HD W/Recorder box (motorola)

Same Jittering occuring with movies, and HD Channels. Especially with the end credits of movies.

I just tried the fix listed and it seems so far to work.

I will also keep updated on this.

so far i have set my settings to the ones listed above.

and watching now to see if this fixes the problem

bill

Comment

• bubbawilly
              • Jan 2005

Glad to hear that the tech guys are coming up to speed on the timing settings.

I was an early adopter of the 2.02 firmware, and it introduced some problems that I hadn't experienced prior. At the time, it was too new for the tech guys to troubleshoot.

Good luck!

Comment

• Russ359
                • Feb 2005

Up date. I was sti8ll having some drop outs. Down loaded the manual for the REF 50 series 2. They had a section on "Plug and Play" settings. In there it indicated that INCREASING the "parameters sticky" would minimize audio drop out but would increase likelihood of muting at the start of and audio playback I increased my setting to 1.4. So far so good. Going to call B&K next week to discuss. Perhaps the guy I spoke with had is backwards.

Comment

• Kevin 425
                  • Nov 2005

Greetings, I am brand new to this forum, and have the same audio drops with my upgraded Reference 30 (now Reference 31). I upgraded several months back (December 2005) and the audio drops were not terribly frequent, but are annoying. The last reply to this problem has been some time ago. Has B&K come out with a fix?

Comment

• wca156
                    • Jun 2005

I had the same problem with my AVR 507 S2 and was able to eliminate some of the problem by increasing the "digital sticky" setting. By doing that you are increasing the time that the receiver looks for an analog signal when the digital cable signal is interrupted. I had a dedicated cable line installed for just this unit and it helped. I was able to reduce the "digital sticky" setting. I continue to have this problem when the cable signal isn't consistent. However, it appears to be cable problem and not a receiver problem.
                    Bill

Comment

• Kevin 425
                      • Nov 2005

Thanks Bill. I did send the processor to B&K for both hardware and software upgrades. My last upgrade (ref. 31) did not include the advanced Plug and Play timing setup for sticky settings, and B&K assured me that there have been important updates that correct this problem. This should bring it up to Ref 50sII specs. I hope that these settings will help with data bitstream "anomalies" that B&K claim are the causes for the audio drops. With that said, I am still very pleased with the B&K processor. I will update once I receive the upgraded processor and have a chance to evaluate its performance.

Comment

• comeup
                        • Jul 2005

I am now having this same problem for the first time and its annoying. You never know when its going to happen audio out of nowhere drops out the amp turns off for a couple of seconds then turns back on. I have version 2.01. I called B&K they said send it in and they will fix. I know this is an old thread, but I can relate to this problem as of late has anyone else had this problem lately?
                        Blake

Comment

• John Holmes
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

I have them but, it only happens on certain time blocks on three different networks. For instance...if I am watching CBS-HD (via Time Warner Cable/SA-8300HD box) when "NCIS" and "The Unit" are on, I'll get dropouts of 1 or 2 seconds here and there. But, I can watch my local news in the morning, "Good Morning America" or any other daytime show without dropouts. I noticed that NBC-HD tends to have it more across the board. Almost anytime of day. Every blue moon I'll get one on ESPN-HD. But those are the only networks I notice it on.

CBS-HD even has pixilation every other time or so, when I get the audio drop. But, all my other HD channels play with out a hiccup, audio or video wise.

I'm running ver. 1.03. I have no issues with the Ref 50 in any other area. Just those three networks. All other sources play great. My sound is very satisfying. I've found no need to upgrade my software.
                          "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• comeup
                            • Jul 2005

John, thanks for replying. I don't know whats going on, but I'm getting drop outs with everything CD, SAT and DVD the amp is totally turning off lights and power then turning back on can't figure it out its driving me nuts. B&K said they would update it for free just send it in but I haven't yet trying to do it on my own for now. I disconnected the 12 volt trigger to see if that's the problem so far so good, but you just don't know when its going to happen. would appreciate any suggestions from anyone.
                            Blake

Comment

• comeup
                              • Jul 2005

I have a Lexicon DC-1 controller with THX, DD, DTS in the closet just waiting to be hooked up I think i'm going to get the update for the B&K. Never had to send it in hope they don't keep it to long.
                              Blake

Comment

• comeup
                                • Jul 2005

The problem was not my B&K at all it's my Monster power-amp. I diconnected the pre altogether and noticed large power surges with my right channel ending with the amp shuting down then coming back on. Well this will be my first dealing with Monsters customer service i've had the amp for a year and a half. The amp has a two year warranty wish me luck.
                                Blake

Comment

• John Holmes
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2000

Well...it's good that you found the problem. It's good that it isn't the Ref 50. Not so good that it's the amp. I was hoping it was a cable issue, maybe even source.

Hope everything is taken care of in a timely manner.
                                  "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• comeup
                                    • Jul 2005

I took the day off work today to take the power-amp to Monsters main office in Brisbane, Ca and to my surprise the customer service was excellent. The rep asked what happened, I told him, he took the amp and told me to expect a replacement in a couple of weeks. I didn't even show a receit, he took my word on when I bought it, although I did have the receit in my pocket.

Now, I'm using my Rotel RMB 1075 for all five channels until the Monster comes back funny thing the Rotel is sounding pretty dam good never really listened to it with the Kefs other than with the rear channels. My kefs are on the bright side and so is the Monster amp, but its a calm smooth bright that makes a very clean sound, but the Rotel is on the warmer side that calms the Kefs down a bit i'm enjoying the sound I will have to do some serious comparing when the Monster replacement comes. When I first got the Monster I thought it blew the Rotel away with the B&W speakers I used before.

Back to the (B&K) I'm now watching (Into The Blue) and your not going to believe this the B&K dropped audio for a quick second I don't know what to think now could it be that the B&K caused damage to the Monster amp with the dropping of audio? I won't tell Monster that, I'm going to have the B&K updated to the latest version then take it from there. DC-1 Controller get ready to come out the closet.
                                    Blake

Comment

• comeup
                                      • Jul 2005

It was the amp not the B&K. The short audio drop out I had was from the sat. The new amp is hooked up with no issues.
                                      Blake

Comment

• John Holmes
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Aug 2000

I'm glad you got it all worked out. :T

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"