X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hoopofficial
    • Dec 2004

Ref 50 Series 1 and Denon 3910 Issue

Has anyone experienced any compatibility issue with the B&K Ref 50 and the new Denon 3910? I am having an intermitent problem of audio dropping out for a fraction of a second. I could happen 10 times a night or not at all. I called B&K and they are testing the latest software with the Denon but could not duplicate it. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • mikkel
    • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Hoopofficial
    Has anyone experienced any compatibility issue with the B&K Ref 50 and the new Denon 3910? I am having an intermitent problem of audio dropping out for a fraction of a second. I could happen 10 times a night or not at all. I called B&K and they are testing the latest software with the Denon but could not duplicate it. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Hoopofficial, read the following which is an excerpt of a letter I have sent to Denon and see if your problem is the same:

I am currently on my 2nd 3910 DVD Player. Both units I have tried exhibit the same problem, and I am at the end of my rope.

The 3910 has short, intermittent audio dropouts when playing some DVD's with Dolby Digital soundtracks. It's like the sound is being muted for a fraction of a second and then it returns to normal ... and it repeats over and over again. The longer this malfunction continues, (over several minutes - until I can't stand it), the closer the dropouts space together, until the dropouts occur every 1 or 2 seconds and a sentence can no longer be understood!! The dropouts never occur exactly at the same time when repeating playback. They seem random, like the signal over iLink is being disrupted - not like the disc has a bad "spot" or "track".

For video, I have the 3910 hooked up to a Pioneer Elite 910hd plasma via HDMI (although this should be irrelevant). For audio, the 3910 is attached to a Yamaha RX-Z9 receiver through the iLink connection and also with a Toslink cable. When I switch to the Toslink, the problem is gone. When I go back to the iLink cable (and change back the digital output settings in the setup menu, of course) the problem returns.

I have auditioned a Pioneer Elite DVD-59AVi player with my same setup, and DO NOT have this problem when using its iLink, so I think that the problem is in the Denon player, and not the rest of my system.

Also, on AVSforum.com there is the following thread discussing a couple of other user's problems with the iLink, as well. The thread is: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...rrerid=7459668

Here are a couple of excerpts:

"Krazykaj" (on 10/26/04): It is just that last night, we watched 'The Colour Purple' and on Side A of the DVD every now and then, the audio sort of cut out for a split second. It seemed at random, so I am not sure what was causing it. I thought maybe that the info being passed to the Z9 caught up to itself due to only a low bandwidth cable. But I really don't know. The only other thing that I could possible think of, as I am still unsure about how the IEEE 1394 works in communicating between components, there are AUTO PLAY settings on the Z9 and the 3910, so maybe I have not setup this properly.

Also, when I listened to 'America: Homecoming', on every track, exactly a second or so into the track (so you could pick it and expect it every time), the 'skipping', split second silence or loss of info happened as well. And on first insertion of the disk, the first track was constantly getting stuck, skipping as if it was really dirty, or the 3910 was having problems. It has only happened on these two disks, so I am not sure what is causing it.

"Gandley" (on 11/06/04): Also having those signal dropouts, and it does not matter if you set the 3910 to either format 1 or 2. I use the pioneer VSAX10i (59txi in USA i think) For SACD the signal is perfect and never drops. DTS never drops either, only DD transfers drop. As an example R1 bugslife has both DTS and DD sound tracks. DD transfer drops sound, yet the DTS mix is perfect.

Comment

• Hoopofficial
      • Dec 2004

Mikkel, thanks for the reply. I was starting to lose hope on getting a response to my inquiry. It does sound like my problem but my problem never gets to the point where the sound drops out to the point where the dialogue is not understandable. My issue is more sporatic (sp?). Also, my dropouts do occur on SACD CD's. I am using the analog connects for SACD and DVD-Audio.

The funny thing is that I called Denon and they told me that I was the first one to bring this to their attention. I am starting to wonder if this is a design issue. I am on my second 3910. Regardless of the frequency, this is one annoying thing. I may seek a replacement / refund.

Thanks again for your information.

Comment

• mnollid
        • Jan 2005

Hello,
        I've had the same problem with my Ref 50 using the Denon DVD 2900. I have returned my Ref 50 to B&K, and they are checking into this. I have sense then read many forums about the same problem with the B&K Ref 50. B&K has now came out with the Ref 50 S2 (Series 2). I hope mine comes back either fixed or exchanged with the S2.
        I'll keep you posted.

Comment

• mnollid
          • Jan 2005

Originally posted by mnollid
          Hello,
          I've had the same problem with my Ref 50 using the Denon DVD 2900. I have returned my Ref 50 to B&K, and they are checking into this. I have sense then read many forums about the same problem with the B&K Ref 50. B&K has now came out with the Ref 50 S2 (Series 2). I hope mine comes back either fixed or exchanged with the S2.
          I'll keep you posted.
          I should have also told you, I never had this problem with the DVD 2900, until I connected to the B&K Ref 50. I was using a Denon AVR 3300 with the DVD 2900, and problem never occurred.

I've also used my DVD 2900 with a Sony digital decoder, and never had the problem.

I only have the drop outs using the B&K digital inputs with DD playback. All SACD and DVD-A play with no problems.

Comment

• Hoopofficial
            • Dec 2004

MNOLLID, thanks for the information. B&K is exchanging my unit but I fear that this will not correct the problem. Seems it is a design issue. Please let me know how you make out. B&K is replacing my 200.7 as well. A muting circuit blew on one of the channels. As such, white noise comes out of one of the channels until all the power is drained from the amp after shut down. What a pain in the butt. Especially when you pay almost $4k.

PS. I read that the S2 is experiencing the same issues.

Comment

• mnollid
              • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Hoopofficial
              MNOLLID, thanks for the information. B&K is exchanging my unit but I fear that this will not correct the problem. Seems it is a design issue. Please let me know how you make out. B&K is replacing my 200.7 as well. A muting circuit blew on one of the channels. As such, white noise comes out of one of the channels until all the power is drained from the amp after shut down. What a pain in the butt. Especially when you pay almost $4k.

PS. I read that the S2 is experiencing the same issues.
              Well I got my Ref 50 back, with the same problem!! My sales rep is working with B&K. B&K wanted to know what I've got hooked up to the unit all the way down to the Sat. receiver.

I'm not sure what they're planning on doing, but I'm sure it's going to cost me more money. I'm thinking about asking my rep what it will cost me to change to Rotel or Anthem? I'm not very impressed with B&K right now.

Comment

• Geoman
                • Feb 2005

suggestion

Have you tried a coaxial cable? I have ref50 s2 using a coaxial cable to a 3910. I have no dropouts. Perhaps the optical signal is causing the problem. Using the coaxial cable eliminates the conversion to an optical signal.

Comment

• mnollid
                  • Jan 2005

Yes, I tried the coax as well, and same thing. I also tried another DVD player with same results.

My sales rep is working on getting the S2 for me now. I think I'm going to have to pay the differance though. ($300.00)

If it fixes the drop outs, I'll be happy.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Did you have problems useing the optical inputs with your S2?

Comment

• Hoopofficial
                    • Dec 2004

I received my replacement equipment (200.7 S2) and Ref 50 S1 and there are no drop-outs. However, I now have a popping sound when my system goes from DD to PLII. This B&K stuff is to problematic for me. I am going to pursue another processor and I am going to return this but keep the AMP.

I am using all RCA connections. No optical cables. For what it is worth, B&K has been excellent. They have paid for shipping to and from to make me happy. Of course, I'm sure they won't once I tell them to keep the Ref 50.

Does anyone have suggestions on a replacement? I had the Rotel 1066 and was not impressed. The B&K sounds much better than the Rotel.

Comment

• bubbawilly
                      • Jan 2005

I went from a Ref 50 to a Sherwood Newcastle P-965. I got tired of B&K's pops and thumps as well, but the Sherwood has a few quirks of its own.

Sherwood is supposed to be releasing a firmware update that corrects some of its faults, and if it works I'll let you know.

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"