X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Freddie40
    • Jun 2009

Poll 800 Series Owners

Looking through the pictures of everyones set-ups I was wondering how the 800 family divided out, i.e. what percentage of owners own what. So, if you are a 800 series owner (any generation) please chime in as to what you own. If you own 2 different ones multiple choice is allowed
    800s
    11.11%
    801s
    1.59%
    802s
    33.33%
    803s
    17.46%
    804s
    20.63%
    805s
    15.87%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by Freddie40; 22 April 2013, 23:57 Monday.
    Crystal Clear Music Tweaked Mac Mini / Yosemite -> JRiver 20 -> Ayre QB9DSD -> Bryston BP26DA -> Bryston 4BSST2 -> B&W 802Di | Transparent Reference XLRs, Transparent Super Speaker Cable, Maple Shade USB cable, Crystal Clear Music Power Cords
  • mjb
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

I think the 802's are the sweet point of the range, although I'd spring for 800's if I won the lottery.
    - Mike

Main System:
    B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
    Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• Freddie40
      • Jun 2009

I heard the Nautilus' the other day. Those are the ones to own, of course with 8 Bryston 28Bs LOL 60k for the speakers, 72k for the Power amps, but just 5k for the Bryston BP26 Pre-Amp. What a deal.
      Crystal Clear Music Tweaked Mac Mini / Yosemite -> JRiver 20 -> Ayre QB9DSD -> Bryston BP26DA -> Bryston 4BSST2 -> B&W 802Di | Transparent Reference XLRs, Transparent Super Speaker Cable, Maple Shade USB cable, Crystal Clear Music Power Cords

Comment

• Blindamood
        • Sep 2003

Of course, this doesn't tell the whole story. My 805S are augmented with HTM4S and SCMS for an enveloping and balanced 5.1 surround effect, rather than just focused on the front L & R.
        Brad

Comment

• HedgeHog
          • Dec 2008

Had the 802D then upgraded to 802D Diamonds.

If I had to do it again, I may try other brands and electronics. While really nice, I find these too laid back and a wee bit clinical.
          Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD / Oppo BDP-105 / Apple TV G2 / QNAP Turbo NAS TS-210
          Classe Audio SSP-800 / Classe Audio CA-M400 (x2) + CA-5200
          B&W 802D2 / B&W HTM2D2 / B&W CCM-818 / JL Audio Fathom 113
          Richard Gray Substation 240V + 1200 Custom / ESD Cable Isolators Mk II.
          Clear Day Double Shotgun Spkr Cable / White Zombie Audio ZeroPointZero Silver XLR / LessLoss DFPC Original

Comment

• Rod#S
            • Oct 2010

I currently own the 802 Diamonds and actually the HTM2 Diamond. This coming week I'll be adding the 800 Diamonds. The 802's will be staying put as surrounds.
            B&W 800 Diamonds (L/R), HTM2 Diamond (C), 802 Diamonds (SL/SR), Paradigm Signature Sub 25 (LFE), Reference Servo 15a x 2 (Stereo subs), Lexicon MC-12Bv5EQ SSP, Bryston 28B-SST2x 2, 7B-SST2x2, 4B-SST C Series, BDP-2, Oppo UDP-205, Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-150FD, Furman SPR-20i, IT-Reference, Eastlink Maestro PVR, Xbox One & 360, PS3, Siltech Golden Ridge II, Ruby Hill IIx2, 330ix2, Kimber Kable PK10 Gold, Tonic, PBJ, Cadence, HD19e, HD19, OPT-1, HDSW 4x1, Ixos 6003, Harmony 1000

Comment

• Freddie40
              • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Rod#S
              I currently own the 802 Diamonds and actually the HTM2 Diamond. This coming week I'll be adding the 800 Diamonds. The 802's will be staying put as surrounds.
              Nice I do have a Pair of Matrix 802Series2, but they are in their original box waiting for an assignment

Comment

• Briz vegas
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

My 804s are surrounds, htm7 still lives in the centre when I go surround, which is much much less these days. Not everyone is sold on the 802D.
                Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• Rod#S
                  • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Freddie40
                  Nice I do have a Pair of Matrix 802Series2, but they are in their original box waiting for an assignment
                  Thanks

I'm definitely looking forward to having 4 marlan head speakers around me. Shame I'm running a tv setup that can't be wall mounted because I would love to have a tower for the center but the HTM2 does a very fine job.
                  B&W 800 Diamonds (L/R), HTM2 Diamond (C), 802 Diamonds (SL/SR), Paradigm Signature Sub 25 (LFE), Reference Servo 15a x 2 (Stereo subs), Lexicon MC-12Bv5EQ SSP, Bryston 28B-SST2x 2, 7B-SST2x2, 4B-SST C Series, BDP-2, Oppo UDP-205, Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-150FD, Furman SPR-20i, IT-Reference, Eastlink Maestro PVR, Xbox One & 360, PS3, Siltech Golden Ridge II, Ruby Hill IIx2, 330ix2, Kimber Kable PK10 Gold, Tonic, PBJ, Cadence, HD19e, HD19, OPT-1, HDSW 4x1, Ixos 6003, Harmony 1000

Comment

• dukester
                    • Sep 2010

Running 803Di/HTM2Di. Considering Wilson Sophia or Sonus Faber Elipsa as I like their softer sound. However I fear missing the forward sound of my set-up. I feel I audition other speakers due to feeling stagnant but ironically end up appreciating my set-up a little more.
                    McIntosh C2300/MC302, NAD T785, Oppo 83se & 105, Squeezebox Touch, AppleTV, B&W 803Di/HTM2Di/M1, REL G1, Sony XBR9, PS3

Comment

• Freddie40
                      • Jun 2009

Originally posted by dukester
                      Running 803Di/HTM2Di. Considering Wilson Sophia or Sonus Faber Elipsa as I like their softer sound. However I fear missing the forward sound of my set-up. I feel I audition other speakers due to feeling stagnant but ironically end up appreciating my set-up a little more.
                      You have a very nice system and should be proud of it!

Dave

Comment

• kaitkei
                        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by HedgeHog
                        Had the 802D then upgraded to 802D Diamonds.

If I had to do it again, I may try other brands and electronics. While really nice, I find these too laid back and a wee bit clinical.
                        Do you mean by this statement in bold that the midrange in recessed and the treble is a little hot? Could you use the PEQ in your beloved SSP-800 to fix this?

Comment

• BVLDARI
                          • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Freddie40
                          Looking through the pictures of everyones set-ups I was wondering how the 800 family divided out, i.e. what percentage of owners own what. So, if you are a 800 series owner (any generation) please chime in as to what you own. If you own 2 different ones multiple choice is allowed
                          Why close the poll on 5/10? Might as well keep a running tally no?

I have 802D2 and will likely add HTM2 in the next couple of weeks... Although for some reason i've been eyeing mac amps and am debating on getting one of those vs. the center speaker

Comment

• audiogear
                            • Sep 2011

I'm running 802Di/805D but have always wondered how 5x 802D will sound with each paired to Mac monoblocks. :P
                            Main: B&W 802Di, HTM2D, 805D, DB-1 sub, McIntosh 501(2), McIntosh MCD500 & C50, C2300, Elite SC09-TX, Oppo 105, Wadia 121/170, PS3, MacBook Pro/iPad, Samsung 63" 3D Plasma, Monster Power 7000MKII, ATV2, Audioquest Gibraltar/Cobra/USB cables.

2-Channel: McIntosh MA6600, Peachtree iDAC, SF Cremona Auditor M, ATV2, Oppo 95, Elite 50" plasma, Monster 3600/AVS2000, Audioquest Cobras/Rocket 88s

Comment

• Freddie40
                              • Jun 2009

Originally posted by BVLDARI
                              Why close the poll on 5/10? Might as well keep a running tally no?

I have 802D2 and will likely add HTM2 in the next couple of weeks... Although for some reason i've been eyeing mac amps and am debating on getting one of those vs. the center speaker
                              Yes that it a good idea, however, I don't think I have the power to do that. Maybe some one with more powers than I can change it

Dave

Comment

• PewterTA
                                • Nov 2004

Dukester, I'm surprised you don't find your sound soft and warm... last time I heard a MAC combo on the 802Ds I thought it was pretty darn warm. I'd be afraid of "loosing" anymore detail...but that's just me.

One thing I've found is with modifying my Rotel pre/amp and power conditioner, I've actually pushed my sound stage back to right at the speakers if not a foot or two behind them. It's been a neat process having this happen and having others validate that the soundstage has gone back. No longer are my 802Ds forward like they once were (or like B&Ws tend to be). And having done nothing to the 802Dis, it just goes to show that finding the right electronics and getting the best connections possible to keep the signal pure definitely can change how things sound.
                                Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                                -Dan

Comment

• dukester
                                  • Sep 2010

Originally posted by PewterTA
                                  Dukester, I'm surprised you don't find your sound soft and warm... last time I heard a MAC combo on the 802Ds I thought it was pretty darn warm. I'd be afraid of "loosing" anymore detail...but that's just me.
                                  I agree, the combination of my Mac amp/preamp has a warm tone. I was referring to the primary vocals/instruments in the soundstage as being forward, as well as slightly elevated, but nothing to do with tone or detail. After auditioning 'laid-back' sounding speakers, I realize I favor a more 'forward' sound.

I auditioned the 802Di's and really liked them...but could only stretch my budget for the 803Di's. However, my sub brings my set-up very close to their performance, and when the upgrade bug hits (when I get the cash), I will explore the 800's
                                  McIntosh C2300/MC302, NAD T785, Oppo 83se & 105, Squeezebox Touch, AppleTV, B&W 803Di/HTM2Di/M1, REL G1, Sony XBR9, PS3

Comment

• PewterTA
                                    • Nov 2004

I got you now dukester, makes sense... and I've very similar.

That's where the modifications to my Rotel equipment has come into play, voices for me no longer are very forward, they are basically in line with or just slightly behind the speakers now. Instruments no longer come out of the speaker and feel like they are right beside you. Dont' get me wrong, when something's called for to stand out, the system will still do that, but it's not as much. I've found they are what I would now more claim as being completely neutral... no longer a forward nor a laid back type of speaker. Amazing how tweaking things can change how we perceive things.
                                    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                                    -Dan

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"