800 series owners : what cd/dac are you using?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SoundEngine355
    • Feb 2008

800 series owners : what cd/dac are you using?

I am curious to find out what CD/DAC everyone is using with their 800 series (or looking at moving to), I've currently got the PS Audio DirectStream and Transport unit.

I chose this because of glowing reviews and the flexibility of moving away from CD to a digital music platform, but I still needed the easy disc player for WAF.

Recently Esoteric has updated their line of spinners "x" models, which look good too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SoundEngine355

-------------------
    [Music] B&W 800D | Classe CDP202 +M400s | Velodyne DD15
  • TomScrut
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Nov 2013

Don't use a CD player but I use an Antelope Zodiac Platinum with my Classe CA-2300 and 802D2s

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
    Music: Intel NUC -> Antelope Zodiac Platinum -> Classe CA-2300 -> B&W 802 Diamonds & 2x SVS SB13U

Comment

• SoundEngine355
      • Feb 2008

Does the Antelope have inbuilt volume control? Or do you have the Classe preamp too?

SoundEngine355

-------------------
      [Music] B&W 800D | Classe CDP202 +M400s | Velodyne DD15

Comment

• Freddie40
        • Jun 2009

Ayre QB9 with Bryston Pre-Amp and Bryston Power amp, 802D2 speakers
        Crystal Clear Music Tweaked Mac Mini / Yosemite -> JRiver 20 -> Ayre QB9DSD -> Bryston BP26DA -> Bryston 4BSST2 -> B&W 802Di | Transparent Reference XLRs, Transparent Super Speaker Cable, Maple Shade USB cable, Crystal Clear Music Power Cords

Comment

• leo2498
          • Feb 2012

Originally posted by SoundEngine355
          I am curious to find out what CD/DAC everyone is using with their 800 series (or looking at moving to), I've currently got the PS Audio DirectStream and Transport unit.

I chose this because of glowing reviews and the flexibility of moving away from CD to a digital music platform, but I still needed the easy disc player for WAF.

Recently Esoteric has updated their line of spinners "x" models, which look good too.

CP800 like DAC with mac mini like music server with aiff files, the oppo is the CD player but after I have used the CP800 I never come back to the oppo or CD's.
          Leo,
          Saludos
          My HT: B&W 804D fronts, HTM4D center, 805D rears, Classe CA-2300 Main amp, Preamp Stereo CLASSE CP800, Preamp Multi Marantz AV8801, Parasound A31 center and Surround Amp, Source Oppo BDP-95 screen Samsung 55" UE55d8000 SVS SB12-NSD

Stereo: B&W 804S fronts, Pre: Denon AVR-2809 Amp: Rotel 1582, Source Marantz CD5004.

Comment

• leo2498
            • Feb 2012

Does the Antelope have inbuilt volume control? Or do you have the Classe preamp too?

looks like he change his CP800, did you Tom?
            Leo,
            Saludos
            My HT: B&W 804D fronts, HTM4D center, 805D rears, Classe CA-2300 Main amp, Preamp Stereo CLASSE CP800, Preamp Multi Marantz AV8801, Parasound A31 center and Surround Amp, Source Oppo BDP-95 screen Samsung 55" UE55d8000 SVS SB12-NSD

Stereo: B&W 804S fronts, Pre: Denon AVR-2809 Amp: Rotel 1582, Source Marantz CD5004.

Comment

• TomScrut
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Nov 2013

it has an inbuilt volume control and has two analogue inputs as well. I used to have a CP-800 and this sounds loads better, which really surprised me. I don't have the Rubidium clock which as about expensive as the DAC itself.
              Music: Intel NUC -> Antelope Zodiac Platinum -> Classe CA-2300 -> B&W 802 Diamonds & 2x SVS SB13U

Comment

• TomScrut
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Nov 2013

Originally posted by leo2498
                looks like he change his CP800, did you Tom?
                Yes!

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2006

exaSound e28 fed by JRiver player (PC-based) and NAS.
                  Kal Rubinson

Comment

• TomScrut
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Nov 2013

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
                    exaSound e28 fed by JRiver player (PC-based) and NAS.
                    How does this compare to other DACs in this price range? I know based on reading about your findings that you rate it, just wasn't sure if it was in the context of it being on its own market having 8 channels?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Comment

• wkhanna
                      Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2006

....I don't have the Rubidium clock which as about expensive as the DAC itself.
                      have you checked this out?

link
                      _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                      ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"