X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pio
    • Nov 2005

New 802Di or 800D?

Say you were getting an itch... and you had around $13k to plop down on a new (or used) pair of B&W's. Would you get the new 802Di? Or the previous generation 800D?

Listening to both in the same room is going to be nearly impossible. I remember what the 800D sound like - and they sound pretty damn good! Early reviews of the 802Di have lots of praise, but I'm still skeptical.
    802Di
    52.17%
    800D
    47.83%
    Stereo: Revel F208, Parasound JC2, JC1's, Oppo HA-1, VPI, Dynavector, Moon

HT: B&W 802D2, 805S, HTM4, Marantz, OPPO BDP95, Velodyne DD-12's

HP / secondary system: Woo Audio W2, Carver Sunfire, Kef LS50, Denon, and too many headphones to list
  • Freddie40
    • Jun 2009

When the 802DIs were introduced B&W said that they were as good or better than the 800Ds. I believe them. That being said I would get the 802DIs. In other words, I did. Excellent speakers.

Dave
    Crystal Clear Music Tweaked Mac Mini / Yosemite -> JRiver 20 -> Ayre QB9DSD -> Bryston BP26DA -> Bryston 4BSST2 -> B&W 802Di | Transparent Reference XLRs, Transparent Super Speaker Cable, Maple Shade USB cable, Crystal Clear Music Power Cords

Comment

• HedgeHog
      • Dec 2008

Wouldn't your space be a criteria for consideration? Those 800D are huge! But unless you have an auditorium size room, I'd go with the 802Di as well. You can always add a sub later since the mids and highs should be identical.

-H
      Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD / Oppo BDP-105 / Apple TV G2 / QNAP Turbo NAS TS-210
      Classe Audio SSP-800 / Classe Audio CA-M400 (x2) + CA-5200
      B&W 802D2 / B&W HTM2D2 / B&W CCM-818 / JL Audio Fathom 113
      Richard Gray Substation 240V + 1200 Custom / ESD Cable Isolators Mk II.
      Clear Day Double Shotgun Spkr Cable / White Zombie Audio ZeroPointZero Silver XLR / LessLoss DFPC Original

Comment

• beden1
        Super Senior Member
        • Oct 2006

You may also have to up your game in the power department to drive the 800Ds.

Maybe you should be happy with what you have, and save the $13,000 for a rainy day!

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by HedgeHog
          Wouldn't your space be a criteria for consideration? Those 800D are huge! But unless you have an auditorium size room, I'd go with the 802Di as well. You can always add a sub later since the mids and highs should be identical.
          I guess one would expect that. However, we installed a pair of the 800DIs (piano black) in place of 802Ds (rosenut) and, while it is indisputably larger, it does not seem huge. Since they are the same height, the 800DIs seem to a more generously proportioned version.
          Kal Rubinson

Comment

• Skyblue
            • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
            I guess one would expect that. However, we installed a pair of the 800DIs (piano black) in place of 802Ds (rosenut) and, while it is indisputably larger, it does not seem huge. Since they are the same height, the 800DIs seem to a more generously proportioned version.
            Whats your room size Kal?
            B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2006

15x26 and open on one end.
              Kal Rubinson

Comment

• Skyblue
                • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
                15x26 and open on one end.
                Thats actually pretty big. I've ordered the 802's but still kinda trying to convince myself that a pair of 800s would fit easily here
                B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.

Comment

• Antonkk
                  • Jan 2010

One of the reasons I'm afraid of picking up 800's is that I can hardly give them more than 240 cm between the centers of the speakers. 235 cm works well for 802s but if they are put closer the sound suffers a lot. Maybe 235-240 is not enough for 800s.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"