How easy is it to roll the 802DI on carpet?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SPACEMANRICK
    • May 2005

How easy is it to roll the 802DI on carpet?

I was talking to my wife and trying to figure out good spot to place my new 802DI speakers that "hopefully" will be here sometime in March. My wife doesn't want the new 802DI speakers to take up too much room in our living room and to get in the way of people coming and going.

When the new speakers arrive, my thought would be to perhaps move the leather chair between the speakers about 6" to 8" back from the current spot and to place the 802DI's pretty close to where the 804's are now. The placement of my current 804 speakers are 75" apart from each other and my listening spot is 96" from each speaker. When I wanted to sit down for a good listening session I was hoping to roll each of the speakers about 12" forward so they would be about 72" apart and 84" from my listening spot....after I am done I would roll them back. Would this be easy to roll them on the carpet and could the constant rolling of the 159 pound speakers damage the hardwood floor under the carpet and the wheels?
    Attached Files
  • windshear
    • Dec 2004

Rolling on the carpet shouldnt be an issue as your carpet seems to have a rather flat pile. It may however wear depending on how often you do move the speakers. Regarding the hardwood floor, i think there is a very good chance of damage over time especially if you end up with a bit of grit on the floor. If its just on the carpet , then the floor should not be affected.

Comment

• stuofsci02
      Super Senior Member
      • Nov 2009

I would recommend moving your couch forward 12" for critical listening rather then try to strong arm those speakers forward. Just my 2 cents.

BTW I was at my dealer today and he had out his new 802Di demo in rosenut. Good looking speaker. I was just stopping by at closing so I did not have a listen. Maybe next time I am there.
      Main System:
      B&W 801D
      Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
      Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
      Oppo BDP-105
      Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
      B&W CM7
      Emotiva UMC-1
      Emotiva UPA-2
      Oppo BDP-83SE
      Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• scanido
        • Apr 2006

NEVER move the speakers directly over bare hardwood unless you like roller marks as part of the finish!

I used thick 1/4" cardboard over my oak floors and even that caused deep marks.

Comment

• realhifi
          • Feb 2011

Those 803's look perfect in that room. Nice pic.

Comment

• SPACEMANRICK
            • May 2005

Originally posted by stuofsci02
            I would recommend moving your couch forward 12" for critical listening rather then try to strong arm those speakers forward. Just my 2 cents.

BTW I was at my dealer today and he had out his new 802Di demo in rosenut. Good looking speaker. I was just stopping by at closing so I did not have a listen. Maybe next time I am there.
            Unfortunately the sofa is an 8' monster and must weigh at least 250 pounds. The 2 big movers that delivered it had a hard time moving it so I don't think I will be able to move it back and forth for listening sessions.

I know you also have 804's so I look forward to your impressions when you have a chance to hear the 802DI's at your dealer :T

Comment

• SPACEMANRICK
              • May 2005

Thanks for the input everyone! Maybe I can try to find some sort of hard thin material to place under the portion of the carpet that I plan to move the speakers back and forth from....maybe a thin piece of metal may work?

Comment

• dknightd
                • Mar 2006

I'd put them where they sound best, and leave them there.

Comment

• realhifi
                  • Feb 2011

Oops. Sorry, thought those were 803's. I'm assuming you've heard the new 804D's?

Comment

• SPACEMANRICK
                    • May 2005

Originally posted by realhifi
                    Oops. Sorry, thought those were 803's. I'm assuming you've heard the new 804D's?
                    Actually I never heard anything else except for the 802DI's (except for the Wilson Sasha but those are way out of my price range and not really something I could look at all the time in my living room).

I always lusted after the previous generation 802D speakers so when I dropped into my dealer and heard the 802DI in person I decided to just go ahead and cross one more thing off my "100 things to do before I die list" ;x(

Comment

• stuofsci02
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Nov 2009

Spaceman,

There are special rolling discs you can get for furniture like couches that can make them very easy to move. They are NOT casters.. You would not even know they are there until you find how easy it is to move...
                      Main System:
                      B&W 801D
                      Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                      Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                      Oppo BDP-105
                      Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                      B&W CM7
                      Emotiva UMC-1
                      Emotiva UPA-2
                      Oppo BDP-83SE
                      Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• SPACEMANRICK
                        • May 2005

Spaceman,

There are special rolling discs you can get for furniture like couches that can make them very easy to move. They are NOT casters.. You would not even know they are there until you find how easy it is to move...
                        Thanks for the tip, I have not heard of these rolling discs. I will have to look into them some more.....

The concept makes sense but I am unsure if they will work on our sofa because it is so big (8 feet long) and so heavy (over 250 pounds) and sliding such a large, cumbersome, heavy weight over a carpet might be too much stress on the carpet and the wood sofa frame. On the other hand the last thing I would want to happen is for the speakers to topple over while I was sliding them on my carpet!

I guess I won't really know until I actually get these speakers into my house.

Thanks again everyone for your help with my obscure and unique problem!

Comment

• Skyblue
                          • Jun 2009

Spaceman,

They are indeed very easy to move. But they do make marks on the floor. :/
                          B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.

Comment

• stuofsci02
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Nov 2009

I hate it when room funtionality gets in the way of stereo awesomeness
                            Main System:
                            B&W 801D
                            Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                            Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                            Oppo BDP-105
                            Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                            B&W CM7
                            Emotiva UMC-1
                            Emotiva UPA-2
                            Oppo BDP-83SE
                            Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"