X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • garak
    • Jul 2007

802Di finally arrived!!!

Tuesday a week and a half ago, my 802Di were finally delivered! (I had them on order since November)

As for my impressions in the last week and a half, I am extremely satisfied with them.

The 802Di displaced a pair of 803D in a 5.1 setup. In comparing the 802Di to the 803D, the 802Di really outshines the 803D in terms of clarity, detail and imaging. This is perhaps most evident in the upper midrange. The woodwinds, violins, and vocals really come alive with the 802Di. The 802Di really reveals nuances of how the performer articulates each note. The bass in the 802Di is deeper, fuller yet more controlled than with the 803D. All in all, from top to bottom, I’m really happy with how the 802Di have performed so far.

Actually, I believe the difference between the 802Di and 803D is greater than the difference between the 803D and 804S (going from 804S to 803D was the previous change in speakers that I made). Granted at that time, I was using Rotel for electronics. So perhaps the electronics were the limiting factor in that case.
  • RebelMan
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Congrats garak! :T

EDIT: Any pics you can share?
    "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• garak
      • Jul 2007

Originally posted by RebelMan
      Congrats garak! :T

EDIT: Any pics you can share?
      Thanks! I'll take some later and post them sometime this weekend.

Comment

• pazu
        • Nov 2009

Oh, my congratulations, garak!

I hope to see some photos about your new 802Di.

Comment

• ShadowZA
          Super Senior Member
          • Jan 2006

Congratulations, garak!

Wow, you've waited a long time. Wishing you many blissful hours of musical enjoyment from your new 802Di's.

Enjoy! :T

Comment

• dukester
            • Sep 2010

Originally posted by garak
            Tuesday a week and a half ago, my 802Di were finally delivered! (I had them on order since November)

As for my impressions in the last week and a half, I am extremely satisfied with them.

The 802Di displaced a pair of 803D in a 5.1 setup. In comparing the 802Di to the 803D, the 802Di really outshines the 803D in terms of clarity, detail and imaging. This is perhaps most evident in the upper midrange. The woodwinds, violins, and vocals really come alive with the 802Di. The 802Di really reveals nuances of how the performer articulates each note. The bass in the 802Di is deeper, fuller yet more controlled than with the 803D. All in all, from top to bottom, I’m really happy with how the 802Di have performed so far.

Actually, I believe the difference between the 802Di and 803D is greater than the difference between the 803D and 804S (going from 804S to 803D was the previous change in speakers that I made). Granted at that time, I was using Rotel for electronics. So perhaps the electronics were the limiting factor in that case.
            Congrats! Eager to see pics. What has been your break-in process?
            McIntosh C2300/MC302, NAD T785, Oppo 83se & 105, Squeezebox Touch, AppleTV, B&W 803Di/HTM2Di/M1, REL G1, Sony XBR9, PS3

Comment

• garak
              • Jul 2007

Originally posted by pazu
              Oh, my congratulations, garak!

I hope to see some photos about your new 802Di.

Originally posted by ShadowZA
              Congratulations, garak!

Wow, you've waited a long time. Wishing you many blissful hours of musical enjoyment from your new 802Di's.

Enjoy!
              Thanks pazu and Shadow!
              Originally posted by dukester
              Congrats! Eager to see pics. What has been your break-in process?
              I've just been running them with music at moderate volume levels. I asked my dealer if I needed to do anything for break-in and he just said to play things that would require all of the drivers to move. So that's all I've done.

Actually, they sounded great right out of the box.

Comment

• Skyblue
                • Jun 2009

Mine should have arrived, but now late this month is what I hear. Anyway, pics pics pics pics!!!
                B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.

Comment

• htsteve
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Sep 2004

garak,

Awesome that they finally arrived. I hope someone (dealer, B&W) did something nice for you for waiting nearly a year for them.

Enjoy the many hours of listening.

Comment

• garak
                    • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Skyblue
                    Mine should have arrived, but now late this month is what I hear. Anyway, pics pics pics pics!!!
                    Hopefully you'll get yours soon. You won't be disappointed!
                    Originally posted by htsteve
                    garak,

Awesome that they finally arrived. I hope someone (dealer, B&W) did something nice for you for waiting nearly a year for them.

Enjoy the many hours of listening.
                    Thanks, the dealer made things right.

Comment

• dukester
                      • Sep 2010

Hopefully you'll get yours soon. You won't be disappointed!
                      Thanks, the dealer made things right.
                      I feel bad about being upset with my dealer...i ordered a HTM2Di a few weeks ago with no word...must've been tough waiting as long as you did.

Have you noticed a difference in sound after break-in? I would imagine the day to day changes out of the box would be so gradual that one would not notice? In any case, awesome speakers :T
                      McIntosh C2300/MC302, NAD T785, Oppo 83se & 105, Squeezebox Touch, AppleTV, B&W 803Di/HTM2Di/M1, REL G1, Sony XBR9, PS3

Comment

• Skyblue
                        • Jun 2009

I intend to have them for a loong time, so a couple of months more or less doesn't matter
                        B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.

Comment

• garak
                          • Jul 2007

Originally posted by dukester
                          I feel bad about being upset with my dealer...i ordered a HTM2Di a few weeks ago with no word...must've been tough waiting as long as you did.

Have you noticed a difference in sound after break-in? I would imagine the day to day changes out of the box would be so gradual that one would not notice? In any case, awesome speakers :T
                          The wait was tough. I was starting to get impatient a month or two ago, since it was nearing a year since I ordered them.

As far as break-in, I haven't noticed changes in the sound.

Comment

• Oddiophile
                            • Jul 2008

Congratulations Garak!!!!

Jim

Comment

• pazu
                              • Nov 2009

Garak, there are some good cds for break-in process.

For example, you could try to hear the XLO one.

Here the link:

:T

Comment

• style
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Feb 2006

Cotratulations garak!!!

After the money in the pocket ofyoz dealer from 1 years (around) The 802DI are coming!!!

Are in Piano black ot?
                                you go see the that sound fron the DI is very amaging vs. the good normaly D but , for me very better!!!
                                ..and I have changed from the 803D to the 803DI!!!
                                At first the 803d placed as rear but dobnt pay....I sold the 803D and I use my (Great) 805S as rear....i more as enough...

What do you go make?

for me. sell the 803D 8is isb't not retird fron your dealer) and with the money a go see for a pais of 805D as rear (or 804D ops: but are they too too much as rear..) , other go trid the replace the htm2d with the DI version..
                                Redy to reset the SP800`!!???? the new DI sound soo open that what was before a +1db now is a -2db!!!

and I wait a new oictures like with te old seetup!!!

Your opinio over the pianoblack finisched... god jod or not at the name fron B&W like as too Beden1 wrote??

plase give me a new!!

greetings Stle

Comment

• style
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Feb 2006

Cotratulations garak!!!

After the money in the pocket ofyoz dealer from 1 years (around) The 802DI are coming!!!

Are in Piano black ot?
                                  you go see the that sound fron the DI is very amaging vs. the good normaly D but , for me very better!!!
                                  At first the 803d placed as rear but dobnt pay....I sold the 803D and I use my (Great) 805S as rear....i more as enough...

What do you go make?

for me. sell the 803D 8is isb't not retird fron your dealer) and with the money a go see for a pais of 805D as rear (or 804D ops: but are they too too much as rear..) , other go trid the replace the htm2d with the DI version..
                                  Redy to reset the SP800`!!???? the new DI sound soo open that what was before a +1db now is a -2db!!!

Your opinio over the pianoblack finisched... god jod or not at the name fron B&W like as too Beden1 wrote??

plase give me a new!!

greetings Style

Comment

• garak
                                    • Jul 2007

Congratulations Garak!!!!

Jim
                                    Thanks Jim
                                    Originally posted by pazu
                                    Garak, there are some good cds for break-in process.

For example, you could try to hear the XLO one.

Here the link:

Thanks pazu. I'll look into that.

Comment

• garak
                                      • Jul 2007

Originally posted by style
                                      Cotratulations garak!!!

Are in Piano black ot?

What do you go make?

plase give me a new!!

greetings Style
                                      Hi Omar,

Yes, it's been a long wait, but in the end, everything has worked out.

The 802Di are rosenut to match my other speakers. Regarding piano black, personally, I like it. I think it looks elegant. If I were building my whole system today from scratch, I would have a difficult time choosing between rosenut and piano black. I know in Beden1's opinion that the fact that many other companies offer the piano black finish cheapens it. However, every car company offers red paint, but just because a car is red doesn't make it a Ferrari. :W

Congratulations to you on your 803Di! I thought you had 804Di, was I mistaken? Do you have any other changes planned for your system?

As far as my 803D, you offer some good suggestions, but I think I will keep them and use them as rears. I listen to a lot of SACD, so the rears get quite a bit of use.

Cheers,
                                      Brian

Comment

• Canuck525
                                        • Sep 2010

I ordered my 800 diamonds on oct 1st 2010 and they've been at the dealers for a few days now.They will be delivered next friday. I feel like a kid on christmas eve.....

Comment

• pazu
                                          • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Canuck525
                                          I ordered my 800 diamonds on oct 1st 2010 and they've been at the dealers for a few days now.They will be delivered next friday. I feel like a kid on christmas eve.....
                                          My congratulations to you too!

Comment

• Skyblue
                                            • Jun 2009

Swift!

Btw. how much room do you have? I'm still considering 800s instead 802s.

Comment

• Canuck525
                                              • Sep 2010

It is approx approx 5.5 meters x 7 meters . However I will be buying a bigger house in about 2-3 years so I plan on having a much bigger room( probably 7 meters x 10 meters).

Comment

• BWLover
                                                • Jan 2009

So glad you went with the rosenut finish. I much prefer a natural product such as wood vs a chemically made black shine. IMHO. But to each his own. Happy listening
                                                Bowers & Wilkins 683 Speakers
                                                Rotel RB-1090 2 Channel Amp
                                                Rotel RC-1082 Stereo Pre Amp
                                                Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
                                                Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
                                                Rotel RLC-1040 Power Conditioner
                                                Shynyata Research SR-Z1 Power Outlet & Venom 3 Power Cords x 4
                                                Tara Labs RSC Vector 1 Speaker Cables & Interconnects
                                                Pioneer PDP-5070HD 50" Plasma
                                                Playstation 3
                                                Shaw HD PVR
                                                Primacoustic Room Treatments

Comment

• BWLover
                                                  • Jan 2009

Also I think the special burn in disks are a better choice for break in. I have no evidence that music vs engineered noise disk is any better. I just think that music could possibly shape the sound of your speaker if you say only burned in with classical music. But who knows. I have the Tara Labs Cascade Burn in Disk.
                                                  Bowers & Wilkins 683 Speakers
                                                  Rotel RB-1090 2 Channel Amp
                                                  Rotel RC-1082 Stereo Pre Amp
                                                  Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
                                                  Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
                                                  Rotel RLC-1040 Power Conditioner
                                                  Shynyata Research SR-Z1 Power Outlet & Venom 3 Power Cords x 4
                                                  Tara Labs RSC Vector 1 Speaker Cables & Interconnects
                                                  Pioneer PDP-5070HD 50" Plasma
                                                  Playstation 3
                                                  Shaw HD PVR
                                                  Primacoustic Room Treatments

Comment

• Aiden
                                                    • Feb 2010

Originally posted by BWLover
                                                    Also I think the special burn in disks are a better choice for break in. I have no evidence that music vs engineered noise disk is any better. I just think that music could possibly shape the sound of your speaker if you say only burned in with classical music. But who knows. I have the Tara Labs Cascade Burn in Disk.
                                                    Serious question, how would certain music shape the sound of your speaker?

Comment

• aarsoe
                                                      • May 2004

Wow - imagine if that was true. I would be playing Marylin Monroe for weeks and end up with the best looking speakers ever... :lol:

But God help me if I by mistake put on Marylin Manson... 8O

Comment

• dukester
                                                        • Sep 2010

Nice! Your dealer must move products to get them so quickly? To hear your story in contrast to Garak's...even somewhere in the middle seems long but hope some of your luck rubs off on me.

Something tells me Garak's 'Christmas Eve' feeling was just a tad bit more intense than yours Congrats nonetheless...i'm sure you're looking forward to breaking them in...then letting them loose once in your new house :T

Comment

• style
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Feb 2006

I Brian,

I love to the p.Black but is really what Brooks write...the B&W piano black is not at the level from a vienna, rockport, dynaudio,... is sure very great for the eyes but with a pair months of live I don't not..
                                                          I have Rosenut TOO :T : maybe a 805D in piano black will be appracied but a big 802DI not, with te Rosenut you mad the right choice.
                                                          I have the 803DI. before I have try the 804DI and is a very good speaker too but from a 803D to a 804DI was a downgrade...and after spoked with my friend from Classe change without money loss to the 803DI. are amazing. I can only imagine you set now with the 802 placed nearly the bassocontinuo!!
                                                          I had for 5 month as rear the 803D but only and NOT always I was satisfait from the sound with the 803DI as main.... I have sold the 803D and re-connect the 805s..is much better (for my room).
                                                          I go buy a cd player and I will a sacd...cdp102/202 is great but is not sacd..,
                                                          for the mowie my Denon3800 and the Pioneer lx91 (09 in usa?) are more as enough.
                                                          to replace the "mowie" player I wait ...I have see the pictures from the OPPO 93 !! yes 93, not 83se or nuforce edition...= is better wiat a moment... for the cd player a Marantz will be agree... ops:

For the speaker have a 805D will be very good!! but I go se beacouse is possible the next year I go in a new home = dedicat room!! and wow:
                                                          802D I make the eyes sparkle 8)

Brian try with te 803D as rear and I hope are you happy... the sound fron the D and DI is not so "macht" and with a sacd can be a bad surprise.
                                                          please let me now!!

Omar
                                                          p.s: I'm a Apple man now :W

Comment

• garak
                                                            • Jul 2007

Congrats! I'm glad you didn't have to wait nearly as long as I did.

Comment

• garak
                                                              • Jul 2007

Originally posted by BWLover
                                                              So glad you went with the rosenut finish. I much prefer a natural product such as wood vs a chemically made black shine. IMHO. But to each his own. Happy listening
                                                              Thanks. I'll look into the burn-in disc.

Comment

• garak
                                                                • Jul 2007

Originally posted by style
                                                                I Brian,

I love to the p.Black but is really what Brooks write...the B&W piano black is not at the level from a vienna, rockport, dynaudio,... is sure very great for the eyes but with a pair months of live I don't not..
                                                                I have Rosenut TOO :T : maybe a 805D in piano black will be appracied but a big 802DI not, with te Rosenut you mad the right choice.
                                                                I have the 803DI. before I have try the 804DI and is a very good speaker too but from a 803D to a 804DI was a downgrade...and after spoked with my friend from Classe change without money loss to the 803DI. are amazing. I can only imagine you set now with the 802 placed nearly the bassocontinuo!!
                                                                I had for 5 month as rear the 803D but only and NOT always I was satisfait from the sound with the 803DI as main.... I have sold the 803D and re-connect the 805s..is much better (for my room).
                                                                I go buy a cd player and I will a sacd...cdp102/202 is great but is not sacd..,
                                                                for the mowie my Denon3800 and the Pioneer lx91 (09 in usa?) are more as enough.
                                                                to replace the "mowie" player I wait ...I have see the pictures from the OPPO 93 !! yes 93, not 83se or nuforce edition...= is better wiat a moment... for the cd player a Marantz will be agree... ops:

For the speaker have a 805D will be very good!! but I go se beacouse is possible the next year I go in a new home = dedicat room!! and wow:
                                                                802D I make the eyes sparkle 8)

Brian try with te 803D as rear and I hope are you happy... the sound fron the D and DI is not so "macht" and with a sacd can be a bad surprise.
                                                                please let me now!!

Omar
                                                                p.s: I'm a Apple man now :W
                                                                Hi Omar,

That's good that you were able to go to 803Di without losing money on the 804Di.

As for a blu-ray/SACD/DVD-A player, I think the oppo BDP-83 is a great choice. Do they offer it in Europe?

That's funny that you mention you may have a dedicated room in about one year. I was thinking the same. I plan on moving in about a year, and plan on doing the same. It seems that we're always doing the same things to our systems.

Also good to hear that you've switched to Apple. Once you go Mac, you never go back.

Brian

Comment

• garak
                                                                  • Jul 2007

As promised, here are a couple of pics.

Comment

• Birdy
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Mar 2006

No spikes installed? 8O

Comment

• garak
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Birdy
                                                                      No spikes installed? 8O
                                                                      I'm going to be moving in about a year, so I didn't want to put the spikes in now because it makes them MUCH more difficult to move.

Comment

• htsteve
                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                        • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Birdy
                                                                        No spikes installed? 8O
                                                                        garak,

Agreed. They come free with your speakers. You're dealer can have B&W directly ship them to you (that's what my dealer did).

The spikes definitely help. Improve bass and open soundstage.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• HedgeHog
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Dec 2008

Those are stunning! Congrats.

Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD / Oppo BDP-105 / Apple TV G2 / QNAP Turbo NAS TS-210
                                                                          Classe Audio SSP-800 / Classe Audio CA-M400 (x2) + CA-5200
                                                                          B&W 802D2 / B&W HTM2D2 / B&W CCM-818 / JL Audio Fathom 113
                                                                          Richard Gray Substation 240V + 1200 Custom / ESD Cable Isolators Mk II.
                                                                          Clear Day Double Shotgun Spkr Cable / White Zombie Audio ZeroPointZero Silver XLR / LessLoss DFPC Original

Comment

• Skyblue
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Jun 2009
                                                                            • 504

Thanks for the pics! What amp is that? The 5200 or the 5300?

Comment

• garak
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Jul 2007
                                                                              • 310

#39
                                                                              Originally posted by htsteve
                                                                              garak,

Agreed. They come free with your speakers. You're dealer can have B&W directly ship them to you (that's what my dealer did).

The spikes definitely help. Improve bass and open soundstage.

Hope this helps.
                                                                              Hi Steve,

I have the spikes, they shipped with the speakers. I know not installing them is not ideal, but I consider this a temporary setup. Once the 802Di are in their permanent home, I'll worry about trying to create the perfect setup.
                                                                              Originally posted by HedgeHog
                                                                              Those are stunning! Congrats.
                                                                              Thanks!
                                                                              Originally posted by Skyblue
                                                                              Thanks for the pics! What amp is that? The 5200 or the 5300?
                                                                              It's the 5200.

Comment

• Skyblue
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Jun 2009
                                                                                • 504

#40
                                                                                It's the 5200.
                                                                                Thanks. Is the 5200 sufficient? Hope so

Anyway, nice to see that your waiting finally came to an end. Mine are due to arrive within 2 weeks, but so it has been since august. My ssp800 is schedule for late november, so it doesnt matter that much. Eventually, they'll arrive. Hopefully before my ears fall off
                                                                                Last edited by Skyblue; 17 October 2010, 17:54 Sunday. Reason: Bad english

Comment

• garak
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • Jul 2007
                                                                                  • 310

#41
                                                                                  The 5200 is definitely sufficient.

Sounds like you have quite a few upgrades on the way, very nice!

Comment

• ray5
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Dec 2008
                                                                                    • 444

#42
                                                                                    I'm going to be moving in about a year, so I didn't want to put the spikes in now because it makes them MUCH more difficult to move.
                                                                                    Nice. I like your component stand, What is it?
                                                                                    Ray

Comment

• wettou
                                                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                      • May 2006
                                                                                      • 3389

#43

Magnificent, love the rack to.

Here is my upgrade list for the holidays budget permitting :T

- Three 802Di
                                                                                      - Three Classé CAM-600

I will move my 802D to the back to have a total of six 802D and Di :B

But first I need to sell my 802, 803 and HTM1
                                                                                      Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                                        • Jan 2006
                                                                                        • 1098

#44
                                                                                        Faaaaan-tastic! :T

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                          • Mar 2005
                                                                                          • 3139

#45
                                                                                          Awesome pics garak! Thanks for taking the time.
                                                                                          "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"