Anyone heard the 800Di yet? - Compared to 802Di?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jonzie
    • Oct 2007

Anyone heard the 800Di yet? - Compared to 802Di?

I have sold my 802Ds to either get a pair of 802Dis or perhaps 800Di.

It will still take months before my dealer will gets any of them, here to Denmark. I am becoming really impatient, as I am now basically without any music in the house, except my SennHD605, but it's simply not the same.

So, wanted to know if any of you fine people had any experiences with either the 800Di compared to the old 800D, or to the 802Di.

Thanks in advance

- Jonzie
    B&W 800 Diamond
    Benchmark DAC1HDR
    Lyngdorf RP-1 (external Roomperfect Processor/Equalizer)
    NAD M3 (temporary poweramp. Waiting for 4x500W AudioWatt modules)
    Rega Apollo 35yr Anniversary Edition CD Player
    Technics 1210 Vinyl Player
    NAD C445 DAB Tuner
    Pioneer PDPLX5090
    PS3

Interconnects: (DAC through RP1 to amp) TL Air1S2, (CD to DAC) Vipera Xanthina Coax, (Vinyl to Analog Pre-amp) VDH Jubilee
    Speaker cables: Oehlbach LS214
    Mains: Vipera Xanthina
  • Freddie40
    • Jun 2009

Tagging along as I would also love to hear what others have to say.
    Crystal Clear Music Tweaked Mac Mini / Yosemite -> JRiver 20 -> Ayre QB9DSD -> Bryston BP26DA -> Bryston 4BSST2 -> B&W 802Di | Transparent Reference XLRs, Transparent Super Speaker Cable, Maple Shade USB cable, Crystal Clear Music Power Cords

Comment

• AV-OCD
      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Jonzie
      I have sold my 802Ds to either get a pair of 802Dis or perhaps 800Di.

It will still take months before my dealer will gets any of them, here to Denmark. I am becoming really impatient, as I am now basically without any music in the house, except my SennHD605, but it's simply not the same.

So, wanted to know if any of you fine people had any experiences with either the 800Di compared to the old 800D, or to the 802Di.

Thanks in advance

- Jonzie
      Just wanted to give my condolences. I know how tough it can be when you're between systems.

I've heard the 802Di, but not the 800. The 802Di was a bit forward / bright, so I'd suggest pairing them with something on the warm side in regards to electronics. Speaking of. What Amp / Preamp are you using?

Comment

• beden1
        Super Senior Member
        • Oct 2006

Originally posted by AV-OCD
        Just wanted to give my condolences. I know how tough it can be when you're between systems.

I've heard the 802Di, but not the 800. The 802Di was a bit forward / bright, so I'd suggest pairing them with something on the warm side in regards to electronics. Speaking of. What Amp / Preamp are you using?
        As I have never heard of anyone referring to the previous 802D as being forward or bright, I would highly recommend you wait to listen to the 802Di or 800Di for yourself.

Comment

• AV-OCD
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by beden1
          As I have never heard of anyone referring to the previous 802D as being forward or bright, I would highly recommend you wait to listen to the 802Di or 800Di for yourself.

Comment

• beden1
            Super Senior Member
            • Oct 2006

"As I have never heard of anyone referring to the previous 802D as being forward or bright"

Comment

• Jonzie
              • Oct 2007

Originally posted by AV-OCD

Thank you very much for the condolences. It's heart-warming now that there are so few people when you go out your door, that are able to relate.

I'm still in the process of getting my system together, but have bought a Benchmark DAC1HDR, that I use as DAC/Preamp. Right now, I am waiting for 4 x AudioWatt Class-D modules for an DIY, integrated biamping (poweramp) construction to go with the Benchmark (delivers 4x260W 8ohm, 4x500W 4 Ohm, 4x900W 2 ohm, or with two modules bridged: 1000W 8 ohm).

My only problem is that I have not heard them yet! I am importing them for testing within the next month or so.

The modules from AudioWatt are very new. The company is owned and the amps developed by Michael Smedegaard, who helped develop the ICE-power modules for B&O back in the day. An old friend of mine, who is himself in the business, knows this guy Michael. Before B&O, Michael developed Class-A amps for different companies over a period of 20 years, plus a few recent portable amp constructions for Apple. He personally never liked the ICE-Power modules himself (for several reasons) in terms of how they were constructed and how they sounded. So for the past 4 years, he has been spending his own money, doing his own R&D and building his own product line and company; AudioWatt.

My friend heard the Class-D amps at CES and was surprisingly describing them as a very interesting mix between Class-D and Class-A.

I trust my friend quite a lot. I know a lot of people who all have qualified opinions about hifi, but this guy is somewhat of a autistic type when it comes to audio and evaluates from completely different measures than most people I know. He said it was one of the few things that caught his ear at CES at all.

So I am trying it out now. Both 802Di or 800Di are a large investments and the idea behind the AudioWatt modules is also to beat the competition in terms of value for money. They should have a very good cost/benefit ratio and DIY always saves some money. But it is always a bit of a gamble to entrust others in something like this.

Buuuut, there are always "things" possible with cables. And if not, I'll try something else in a year or so. But right now, I put trust in the suggestive thought that I will be happy in the end. :P
              B&W 800 Diamond
              Benchmark DAC1HDR
              Lyngdorf RP-1 (external Roomperfect Processor/Equalizer)
              NAD M3 (temporary poweramp. Waiting for 4x500W AudioWatt modules)
              Rega Apollo 35yr Anniversary Edition CD Player
              Technics 1210 Vinyl Player
              NAD C445 DAB Tuner
              Pioneer PDPLX5090
              PS3

Interconnects: (DAC through RP1 to amp) TL Air1S2, (CD to DAC) Vipera Xanthina Coax, (Vinyl to Analog Pre-amp) VDH Jubilee
              Speaker cables: Oehlbach LS214
              Mains: Vipera Xanthina

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"