X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Skyblue
    • Jun 2009

800Di vs 802Di

Costs aside, is there any reason not to get the 800's instead of the 802's?
    B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.
  • stuofsci02
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2009

The space you have available?
    Main System:
    B&W 801D
    Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
    Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
    Oppo BDP-105
    Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
    B&W CM7
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva UPA-2
    Oppo BDP-83SE
    Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• BowersMcIntosh
      • May 2010

The extra cash you have in your savings.

Comment

• style
        Super Senior Member
        • Feb 2006

Hi ,

802diamont.

800i = waste you money.

and not only "I have the Big 800di..." the 802Di have a great sound .
        if yiu have a 2 ch. system maybe...but not sure...in multichannel the 802di is the Top.

with the sound from te 800di I go with another speaker brand!

800Di , yeah I have a sound amazing, bbut sorry you will a good, clear, ...
        I will listen all what is omthe cd/dvd and not a disco music level with "only" "noises"!

the 802Di / 802D isthe top speaker in the B&W catalague!!!

Comment

• aarsoe
          • May 2004

I cannot think of any reason besides wanting to save some cash. However if you are planning to spend that much money then there are options out there that you should listen to before making any final judgments.
          Focal and Revel are two brands that come to my mind. JBL k2 and everest does also sound great..
          Don't get me wrong. I love me 802D's. but 800Di is so expensive that I would consider the other options..
          Also the 800Di's does take up a lot of floor space.

Comment

• Skyblue
            • Jun 2009

Originally posted by BowersMcIntosh
            The extra cash you have in your savings.
            While I unfortunately isn't terribly wealthy, the way I look at it, is this: I'm going to keep my speakers for around 20 years after which my ears will be half gone anyway. At $26.000, it'll cost me about $1300 a year, or about a third of what my car cost me in depreciation. Really, considering the expected lifespan of the speaker, the price difference between the 802 and the 800 is quite insignificant. And so, the question is whether the 800 sounds marginally better, a lot better or not really.
            B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.

Comment

• Skyblue
              • Jun 2009

Originally posted by aarsoe
              I cannot think of any reason besides wanting to save some cash. However if you are planning to spend that much money then there are options out there that you should listen to before making any final judgments.
              Focal and Revel are two brands that come to my mind. JBL k2 and everest does also sound great..
              Don't get me wrong. I love me 802D's. but 800Di is so expensive that I would consider the other options..
              Also the 800Di's does take up a lot of floor space.
              Well, I live in Copenhagen, same as you. I considered the Wilson Sasha as well, as they have gotten a good rep, but as you know, the Wilson Sasha's are about $50.000, while the B&W's 800D's are around $25.000. Also, the B&W dealer, is a very good friend of mine. I'm not sure he would be very pleased if I went with the competion

So, while there are other and probably even better speakers for the money, B&W it will be. In this case 802s or 800s.

Comment

• Skyblue
                • Jun 2009

Originally posted by style
                Hi ,

802diamont.

800i = waste you money.

and not only "I have the Big 800di..." the 802Di have a great sound .
                if yiu have a 2 ch. system maybe...but not sure...in multichannel the 802di is the Top.

with the sound from te 800di I go with another speaker brand!

800Di , yeah I have a sound amazing, bbut sorry you will a good, clear, ...
                I will listen all what is omthe cd/dvd and not a disco music level with "only" "noises"!

the 802Di / 802D isthe top speaker in the B&W catalague!!!
                It probably will be mostly ht actually. While I love 2 channel listening, the kids mean that there won't be much time for that. So, instead, the aim is to have a system that we all can enjoy on a daily basis

Comment

• sikoniko
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Aug 2003

if cost is no issue, I say go 800Di.
                  I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• style
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Feb 2006

I'm a B&W fans. my last 5 new speakers, allways B&W :W
                    BUT
                    I don't believe in a 800D / 800Di for listen a real good music. well the 800Di top models B&W make a real music but if you will a speaker and listen all the instruments, all what have on the CD in a "differente " mode as the B&W are available a lot of others speakers.

is not a question of Watt: you can have a great powerampli with 60-80watt pre channel with a speakers like the Verity, Rockport, hansen,....--> is not all a 38cm. woofer to listen music,but we most see with anothers eyes too. :E

and liek wrote I like B&W, i'm not contra B&W expecially from the new diamont serie the is great!. :T
                    a little of a bit of self-criticism .... :W :W
                    Style

Comment

• beden1
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Oct 2006

If 80% or more used for stereo, then I'd say the 800Di. If mostly for multi-channel, then the 802Di are more than sufficient, IMO.
                      Last edited by beden1; 28 June 2010, 10:54 Monday.

Comment

• style
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Feb 2006

As B&W fans I agree with Brook. :T

Comment

• sikoniko
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Aug 2003

Originally posted by beden1
                          If 80% or more used for stereo, then I'd say the 800Di. I mostly for multi-channel, then the 802Di are more than sufficient, IMO.
                          If there is one thing that I have found, it is the better the speakers I get, the more I listen to them in sometimes unexpected new ways. I used to be a headphones and car audio guy and only listened to my system in HT. the better speakers I got, the more I listened in two channel.

I say that if you can afford it, get the 800Di. That way you won't find yourself thinking in a couple months "I wonder what it would have been like if I got the 800Di's."

Like Nike says "just do it." you can't go wrong.

Comment

• style
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Feb 2006

Skyblue,

go listen yourself this 2 models.

@sikoniko: I dont agree your point of view. i can sure understand but eyh, a 802Di a great speaker and in a HT system WOW.
                            if you go with a 800Di to have a homogeneous setp waht you willl place as center????

personaly is I dont' have much time a simple "just" expensive integrated CD player and a good speaker: scene: arrivals in your home, pressed a button and immediately music!
                            maybe near the kitchen ... 30 minutes listening to "light" and go!

to listen / watching a concert / movie on the week end you have alll tihe time!
                            you can make all what you will, try test, play with the your great system

I don't know your "style of life" (and maybe in Usa is very dffernte vs. Europa)

Comment

• sikoniko
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Aug 2003

Skyblue,

go listen yourself this 2 models.

@sikoniko: I dont agree your point of view. i can sure understand but eyh, a 802Di a great speaker and in a HT system WOW.
                              if you go with a 800Di to have a homogeneous setp waht you willl place as center????
                              no surprise. we rarely do agree. :W

Your question about a center applies equally to the 802Di... so your point is lost.

Comment

• style
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Feb 2006

sikoniko,

"speak" via mail is not the same like "face to face"

we life in 2 differente "world" expenple you go home for lunch?

for the little time available in this time/period I do not think you close (in the HC) yourself in full relax to listen a sinlge song or???

where I am is a little (forr usa ) "city" from 8000 people..in your city, where you life, I doubt....sure "a little more" ops:

never mind
                                B&W and Classe: are we fans = same mind!!?!? :W :W

Style
                                Last edited by style; 28 June 2010, 12:49 Monday.

Comment

• Skyblue
                                  • Jun 2009

Hi there,

Thanks for all the advice. I'll go and listen to them both when available.

Right now, I'm considering listening to sense and just get the 802's which are probably more fitting for my room. But, there is always the lure of getting the bigger and better item..

Comment

• beden1
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Oct 2006

I just think the 800Di's would be overkill if used primarily for HT, when you can fill in the lows with sub woofers if you had 'lesser' speakers.

IMO, the 800Di's are designed to be purely stand-a-lone speakers in a stereo set-up, as that is where you would truly hear how good they are!

Comment

• mjb
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Mar 2005

^^ Good point.
                                      - Mike

Main System:
                                      B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                                      Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• Skyblue
                                        • Jun 2009

Originally posted by beden1
                                        I just think the 800Di's would be overkill if used primarily for HT, when you can fill in the lows with sub woofers if you had 'lesser' speakers.

IMO, the 800Di's are designed to be purely stand-a-lone speakers in a stereo set-up, as that is where you would truly hear how good they are!
                                        No doubt about it. I have a dream of adding some2 channel components later on. Primarily a pre amp, as I have an ayre qb-9 for source. However, reality is that my kids probably wont allow for much 2 channel listening in the forseeable future. So, perhaps 802s will do, and they can then upgraded if circumstances should change.

Comment

• sikoniko
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Aug 2003

sikoniko,

"speak" via mail is not the same like "face to face"

we life in 2 differente "world" expenple you go home for lunch?

for the little time available in this time/period I do not think you close (in the HC) yourself in full relax to listen a sinlge song or???

where I am is a little (forr usa ) "city" from 8000 people..in your city, where you life, I doubt....sure "a little more" ops:

never mind
                                          B&W and Classe: are we fans = same mind!!?!? :W :W

Style
                                          I don't take it personal...

I don't understand your population comment though...

Comment

• beden1
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Skyblue
                                            No doubt about it. I have a dream of adding some2 channel components later on. Primarily a pre amp, as I have an ayre qb-9 for source. However, reality is that my kids probably wont allow for much 2 channel listening in the forseeable future. So, perhaps 802s will do, and they can then upgraded if circumstances should change.
                                            Exactly! My kids and WIFE never want to just listen to music, so I have to wait until the late hours or until I go to our Florida house alone.

Lifestyle changes as the family grows and you want everyone around to be a part of the family. Unfortunately, listening to music becomes the casualty.

Comment

• caberxx
                                              • Jan 2010

For the same price as the 800Di, you can get the 802Di + a pair of DB1 subwoofers. The answer is obvious to me.

Comment

• Pedro
                                                • Jan 2006

I would consider a pair of 801D, obviously semi used for around USD12K :T

Comment

Working...
                                                Searching...Please wait.
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                Search Result for "|||"