Nautilus 802 internal cabinet crossover pics inside.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Race Car Driver
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Nautilus 802 internal cabinet crossover pics inside.

So first up, replace the flapping top woofer in the right N802.
    -Step 1 : Remove the 6 alen machine screws from the black metal plate.
    -Step 2 : Remove the 6 phillips screws securing the speaker to the cabinet.
    -Step 3 : Remove the woofer and unclip the two wires.
    -Step 4 : Enjoy the view of foam, matrix bracing and nut securing the marlan head to the top of the cabinet. :W

Reinstall is reverse procedure, and enjoy the new $200 woofer. :x
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Race Car Driver; 02 April 2007, 14:47 Monday.
    B&W
  • Race Car Driver
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

The culprit, the adhesive for the rubber surround decided it didnt want to adhere any more Ill repair it and keep it as a backup.

My Sound Anchor stands showed up today. Being a single guy, who doesn't like to wait for help, two hands and arms usually how I get things done. So I decided to "git r dun". I laid the speakers on their sides ontop of a large pillow, and tilted the 156 pound speakers right onto the stands, it was quite painless. (guess that weight bench in the basement is coming in handy) :T

Now curiousity got the best of me, with the second N802 on it's side, I decided to see what all the fuss was about these big bottom girls. :lol:
    I removed the 5 alen screws from the wood cover, and 3 from each rear "alwayes" rollers. And all was to be seen why big bottom girls make the world go 'round.

Really, nothing all that exciting, the top crossover is the HPF for the tweet, the one in the middle rear was your bandpass for the mid, and the bottom is the LPF for the woofers.

Little reassembly, curiosity filled, last N802 up on the stand, and current view of my new listening pleasure.

Would I ever pay full price for sound anchors? Nope, few pieces of foamfilled steel that it powder coated flat black. Did they improve the sound. Most deffinetly. They raised the front up about 4 inches and rear 3 inches. I am now listening to the bass from the speakers, and not the vibration of the hardwood floors.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Race Car Driver; 02 April 2007, 14:48 Monday.
    B&W

Comment

• miner
      • Mar 2005

Nice pics RCD. Now, how much did you pay for these at the thrift store?

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
        • Jun 2006

Any idea what kind of caps they used? They look like Claritycaps px series (very good caps at a very reasonable price).

Comment

• Kobus
          • Aug 2005

Nice pics, thanks for sharing.

Kobus

Comment

• RebelMan
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Race Car Driver
            Now curiousity got the best of me, with the second N802 on it's side, I decided to see what all the fuss was about these big bottom girls. :lol:
            The N802 crossovers were not in question. :W Still your efforts to post the pics are appreciated RCD.

BTW, when and how did you notice your were having a problem with one of the bass drivers? Do you think it developed over time or suddenly? When one of the drivers on my previous 803S failed I noticed it right away but it wasn't obvious which one because of the flow ported cabinet kept the driver moving and the other driver did well to mask some of the loss in bass output.
            "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• Race Car Driver
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

I noticed the woofer a while ago. Ive actually had the new one sitting in a box for several months.
              It wasnt always noticable until there were some heavy bass notes. So it didnt always bother me, and wasnt a pressing issue to replace it. I would go up to the woofer and put slight pressure on the surround and the noise went away.
              B&W

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
                • Jun 2006

I noticed the woofer a while ago. Ive actually had the new one sitting in a box for several months.
                It wasnt always noticable until there were some heavy bass notes. So it didnt always bother me, and wasnt a pressing issue to replace it. I would go up to the woofer and put slight pressure on the surround and the noise went away.
                That woofer can be repaired pretty easily. Just need some glue. I prefer silicone. B&W's engineers recommend hobby glue. I tried some Home Depot stuff but it didn't work so I used silicone. Just make sure the woofer does nt rub.

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2005

Yea, I didnt even see what the problem was until i had the new one already installed.
                  It will be an easy repair
                  B&W

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by DM3000 Owner
                    Any idea what kind of caps they used? They look like Claritycaps px series (very good caps at a very reasonable price).
                    Digging through the pics, this is the best one I have.
                    *shrug*
                    Attached Files
                    B&W

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
                      • Jun 2006

Digging through the pics, this is the best one I have.
                      *shrug*
                      Thanks for the info.

I'd say they are Calritycaps.

Here is ICW's site:

ICW produce a wide range of polypropylene, film and DC link capacitors for use in power electronic applications

Notice that their audio caps are claritycaps.

The Claritycap site:

Check out the PX Series, they are oval shaped:

I just bought all PX series caps for my DM3000's. They are actually less expensive than Solens. If my N801's ever need a re-cap, I will use the SA series.

Tony Gee gave the Clarity Caps very high marks:

Humble Homemade Hifi - Very high quality loudspeaker kits, components, upgrades, modifications and custom solutions.

Comment

• georgev
                        • Jul 2004

Did you put in the new rohacell woofers?

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"