X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rags
    • Aug 2003

803D's have arrived !

I finally got them :T . After weeks of waiting they were delivered this morning. I kept changing my mind about whether to get the 803S or the 803D and having had a brief listen to my new speakers in my room im glad I finally plummed for the latter.

Hopefully running them in will improve things further but straight out of the box highs and midrange sound just immaculate. A very lush sound without hint of harshness. In all honesty I dont think I have ever heard highs on female vocals rendered so beatifully. The low end needs to loosen up little but this speaker definately isnt lacking in bass output.

I know the 802D's would have been better still but my budget didnt stretch that far and I am not sure my current amplification would have got the best out of them.

Overall very very pleased .
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

Congrats, that's great to hear someone getting the new Diamond models and really enjoying them right out of the box.

Like all B&W speakers, I say give them some time to open up and loosen up the drivers and you'll be extremely happy with them!

I'm jealous!
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan

Comment

• Nigel_Rav
      • Feb 2005

Enjoy your 803D's Rags, I'm sure you'll be delighted with them. I found with the 804S that they sound very good straight out of the box - great with vocals.

I got them run in for about 40 hours and the bass was getting nice and tight, but then had a slight problem with the tweeter (mainly cosmetic) that meant I had to have a replacement pair, so I'm back to square one for running in.

Out of interest, what equipment are you using with them, are you bi-wiring, how big is your room, and how far from the rear walls have you got them?

Tell me if I'm being too nosey

Comment

• Rags
        • Aug 2003

Thanks guys.

I have my speakers about 8 inches away from the wall and 2-3ft away from the corners. I havent tried moving them around yet - I barely had the strength to plonk them into their current position ! I am powering them with a Parasound A51 power amp together with an C2 controller and an Arcam DVD/CD player. Balanced interconnects and biwiring.

I also got the ASW825 subwoofer which I havent yet used. I used to own an ASW850 so I have effectively downsized in driver size but the driver material seems a lot more stiffer in the newer sub - exceptionally rigid.

Comment

• DrBoom
          • Dec 2003

Congratz on the new 803D's Rags :T
          By the way, anyone else noticed that the rated power of the 803D's has gone up from the initial value of 350W to 500W now ?
          In the first press releases with specs I read that they were rated at 350W, but now they seem to have gone up all the way to 500W, identical to the 802D.

Comment

• Rags
            • Aug 2003

Dr Boom - it says 500w on the back of my speakers. It kind of makes me want to give them a bit more juice than my A51 is delivering !

Ill try an post some pictures later.

If anyone in the London area is interested I am selling a pair of 803S speakers from the new range which unfortuantely I wasnt able to return to the dealer :cry:
            Last edited by Rags; 10 March 2005, 17:00 Thursday.

Comment

• Rags
              • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Nigel_Rav
              I got them run in for about 40 hours and the bass was getting nice and tight, but then had a slight problem with the tweeter (mainly cosmetic) that meant I had to have a replacement pair, so I'm back to square one for running in.
              Nigel - out of interest what went wrong with your tweeter ?

Comment

• js24
                • Feb 2005

Congrats Rags,
                I envy you

btw, There was a time when the max rating was 375W...
                whatever this means... :roll:

Comment

• gostan
                  • May 2003

Rags

enjoy...enjoy...enjoy!!

when I have a larger listening room I may consider trading up.

Stan
                  Stan

Comment

• sikoniko
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Aug 2003

Congrats Rags! I was wondering what happened to you. You have been quiet lately... What are you using as a center speaker now?
                    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• Rags
                      • Aug 2003

Thanks.

Sikoniko - I had no speakers so I just kept quiet ! I am temporarily using a HTM3. I have a HTM2D on order - it should be with me soon.

I have been digging out some old CD's with some squeeky female vocals to check for sibilance. Nothing. Really its quite astonishing and a big difference from my old 804 models. Having said that the HTM3S I am currently using also has a smoother top end than the old model tweeter but isnt quite as good. I still feel that B&W are charging a ridiculous premium for the diamond models and although I chose the D model I would understand it if others on balance decided that the S model represented better value for money. The law of diminshing returns is still alive and kicking !

I am going to take some pics and post them here. The tweeter housing just looks lovely on the D models (it should be given the huge price difference) - its wider and longer but also has a spray painted gloss finish.

Comment

• OmegaSpeed
                        • Mar 2005

Congrats Rags. I have spent time listening to the 803D's a couple times and like you I was quite taken by the upper end of them, (the speaker as a whole actually). Furthermore, when dialed in right, the bottom drivers work seemless together.

These listening sessions led me to order 802D's, I will be getting them today.

Comment

• jahlion
                          • Feb 2005

Your 802D's are arriving today? Lucky you...

I have to wait until the end of March before I find out when I'm getting my 802D's. B&W decided to wait until the German B&W 800 competition is over before releasing any results....

Comment

• Recruit
                            • Jan 2005

Hi Rags,

Just thought i'd say the 803D's look stunning mate i bet you have not turned the system off, my little 805S's & HTM4S are sounding good too..

Cheers
                            John

Comment

• Rags
                              • Aug 2003

Hi John - Its still playing at the moment - I am now watching a film. I havent even bothered to calibrate anything yet - just trying to listen to anything I can get my hand on.

Oh sh1t wifes now getting annoyed !!

Comment

• Recruit
                                • Jan 2005

My other half is away till monday so mine are staying on all night

Comment

• OmegaSpeed
                                  • Mar 2005

There seems to be a wait on the light Cherry 802D's, I was told it could be up to 60 days, but the main store to my local branch has had a set on order for their store and I was blessed in getting theirs when they came in.
                                  Last edited by OmegaSpeed; 10 March 2005, 17:50 Thursday. Reason: Fix Typeo

Comment

• Rags
                                    • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Recruit
                                    My other half is away till monday so mine are staying on all night
                                    Trifield ?

Comment

• Recruit
                                      • Jan 2005

Absolutely.. 8)

Comment

• sikoniko
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Aug 2003

i've been to london once, do you guys live in the city or on the outskirts? i couldnt imagine trying to haul speakers through town and up to the flats or whatever they are called over there.

The way they drive over there, especially people on motorcycles(!), I would probably take the underground everywhere and I'm trying to imagine hauling them with ya on that.. heh thats kinda funny to think about.

My dealer has had 803D's and 802D's on order since november with nothing showing up yet.... you guys must be lucky to get them already!

Comment

• Rags
                                          • Aug 2003

Sikoniko - I live in the outskirts. I couldnt imagine hauling the 803D's anywhere - that would be a nightmare.

Weird about your dealer. I ordered 803S first off back in Jan and they turned up in a few days :M . I then changed my mind and ordered the 803D's and they turned up at the dealer in just over a week. My delay was caused by the subwoofer and the HTM2D (which still hasnt turned up). Dealers in London are now promising any model with 4 working days.

Comment

• Rags
                                            • Aug 2003

Originally posted by sikoniko

The way they drive over there, especially people on motorcycles(!),
                                            What are you trying to say ?

:M You having a go at the UK - the home of B&W ?

Comment

• sikoniko
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Aug 2003

heh. i stayed across the street from the ritz and loved walking down to picadilly daily, but it seemed to me that the thing to do was to try and see how fast one could get before making it to the next light, and people on motorcycles didn't need to stay in the lanes, they just went between cars...

Comment

• DrBoom
                                                • Dec 2003

and people on motorcycles didn't need to stay in the lanes, they just went between cars...
                                                So what you're saying is, motorcycles actually stay behind cars in Florida and don't slalom between them ? 8O
                                                The thing I mostly remember about london is almost getting run over because I'm used to looking left, then right when crossing the street and not the other way around.
                                                And even though it says LOOK RIGHT, at every crossing, you tend to forget it

Comment

• js24
                                                  • Feb 2005

but... you guys drive on the wrong side of the road... j/k.. :W

Comment

• jazznsoccer
                                                    • Apr 2004

Congrats Rags!

I also tool the plunge and ordered the 802D HTM2D and scms. Still waiting for a firm date but was told the speakers are back ordered in the US and will take 5 - 6 weeks

Glad to hear you like the new tweeters!

I went for the Rosewood. What finish did you get?

Comment

• ti33er
                                                      • Apr 2004

Congrats Rags, you going to upload some pics soon - would love to see your beauties ...and to top it off, one of your wife poised next to them with her infamous despondent look of course!
                                                      "...if it's too loud, you're too old!"

Comment

• Rags
                                                        • Aug 2003

Originally posted by jazznsoccer
                                                        Congrats Rags!

I also tool the plunge and ordered the 802D HTM2D and scms. Still waiting for a firm date but was told the speakers are back ordered in the US and will take 5 - 6 weeks

Glad to hear you like the new tweeters!

I went for the Rosewood. What finish did you get?
                                                        I went for the cherrywood finish. Our choices are not surprising - apparently rosewood (or its predecessor) sells best in the USA, light cherry in Europe and black in the far east.

I am however surprised that its taking that long to get them in the States. Regardless if the 803D are anything to go by the 802D will definately be worth waiting for !

Comment

• Rags
                                                          • Aug 2003

Originally posted by ti33er
                                                          Congrats Rags, you going to upload some pics soon - would love to see your beauties ...and to top it off, one of your wife poised next to them with her infamous despondent look of course!
                                                          Will take and post some pictures tonight. I will not include a picture of the missus as I dont want to scare you guys :B .

Comment

• ti33er
                                                            • Apr 2004

hehe I think my missus and your missus will get on extremely well

Comment

• Nigel_Rav
                                                              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Rags
                                                              Nigel - out of interest what went wrong with your tweeter ?
                                                              Quite hard to explain, but basically the front of the tweeter (the dome itself and the black plastic surround) was slightly out of alignment with the main housing (the outer shell part of the tweeter pod that tapers back to the silver tube at the rear).

I wasn't sure whether the sound would be affected, (and B&W didn't comment one way or the other) but after failing to get it lined up properly by adjusting it myself, I decided it would bug me if I didn't get it sorted, so I just got a replacement pair which were fine. Well actually, I preferred the pattern of the wood veneer on the old set - each speaker is unique in that respect - but I don't think B&W will keep swapping them over until I find a veneer pattern I like :lol:

I work as an analyst, and I think by nature I sometimes examine things in slightly too much detail. Maybe I should work in B&W's QA department...

Comment

• Rags
                                                                • Aug 2003

Funny you bring that up about the tweeter alignment. When I got my 803D on both speakers the back of the tweeter housing didn’t line up with the centre of the speaker curve at the back (ie it was pointing off centre) - as if they had been twisted slightly. I called up B&W and they reassured me that this is quite common as the tweeter housing is spring mounted onto the speaker and this can move during transportation. They just asked me to rotate them gently back into position. I reluctantly did it (had this feeling they were going to snap off !!) and it worked out fine - I must have rotated the rear end of one of them by about 1.0cm or slightly more without problem.

There is also some weird looking black gel between the tweeter housing and the veneer (only visible slightly if you look sideways between the housing and the wood) - apparently this acts as vibration dampener. I cant remember seeing this on the old series

Comment

• Nigel_Rav
                                                                  • Feb 2005

Yep, the tweeter pod seems pretty fragile overall. I've got 2 young children and I wonder if I'm expecting too much hoping one of them won't try and pick up the tweeter sometime thinking it's a microphone or something. 8O

Even the alloy tweeter sounds fantastic though - e.g. cymbals are so much clearer now and really cut through the mix without sounding too sharp or bright. In comparison, through my old DM602.5 cymbals sounded positively crude. Obviously the diamond version is even better.

BTW, had you opened the 803S before you decided to go for the 803D? Seems a bit rough that your dealer wouldn't agree to do a swap for you, but instead made 2 lots of profit? Surely they could have found a buyer for the 803S?

Who is your dealer (just give a hint if you don't want to embarrass them). I got my 804S from Infidelity, who have been really good - driving 70 odd miles from Kingston to Milton Keynes twice foc. Plus they gave a very fair p/x price on my old speakers.

Comment

• Rags
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Aug 2003

It wasnt the dealers fault it was mine. No problems in that regard.

The speakers are here so someone come and get them before I decide to use them as rears :E

Comment

• Recruit
                                                                      • Jan 2005

The speakers are here so someone come and get them before I decide to use them as rears :E
                                                                      Rags mate that would be nice full range all round :demon:

Comment

• Rags
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Aug 2003

Recruit - so do you reckon they will fit in the back of my room ? :B

Comment

• Recruit
                                                                          Member
                                                                          • Jan 2005

Recruit - so do you reckon they will fit in the back of my room ? :B
                                                                          Yeah no problem rags! the wife won't talk to you though if you did :lol:

Comment

• Woo Wooooo
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • May 2004
                                                                            • 177

Hey Pop that tweeter off and see if it can cut glass with the diamonds!!! :rofl: Congrats on the speakers :T

Comment

• turbokuo
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Feb 2005
                                                                              • 120

#39
                                                                              Hey Rags,

How do the 803 compare to the new 804S? What are the main differences?

Comment

• Rags
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Aug 2003
                                                                                • 185

#40
                                                                                Woo woooo - those tweeters certainly dont sparkle as much as they should !!

turbokuo - I mainly focussed on the 803 models. I found the D to have a a better high end (smoother and an easier blend to my ear) and slightly (just a touch) more scale and bass weight. These were the differences I could percieve. Both are very fine speakers.

Comment

• Rags
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • Aug 2003
                                                                                  • 185

#41
                                                                                  Will repost on sticky thread
                                                                                  Last edited by Rags; 14 March 2005, 07:47 Monday.

Comment

• roundmound
                                                                                    Member
                                                                                    • Sep 2004
                                                                                    • 42

#42
                                                                                    Absolutely gorgeous! Maybe one day I can acquire your beautiful setup. For now, the 805Ss must do.

Comment

• Recruit
                                                                                      Member
                                                                                      • Jan 2005
                                                                                      • 32

#43
                                                                                      Rags - One word "stunning" :T and they look even nicer in the flesh!

How come my pictures never come out that good :cry:

Comment

• ti33er
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • Apr 2004
                                                                                        • 252

#44
                                                                                        dROOL

LOVELY - total eyecandy! :drool: ...Rags, I am most MOST jealous...it's going to be a while until I am allowed to sink my teeth into any new kit again - I believe I have to buy a house/dishwasher/bosch oven and hob + extractor/Dysan vacuum cleaner and a few more items (and in that order apparently - BY ORDER!!!) :rant:

Comment

• ti33er
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • Apr 2004
                                                                                          • 252

#45
                                                                                          Rags

PS How did you conceal all your cabling - looks very neat!

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"