X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • antivawt
    • Sep 2008

Eton/Aurasound woofer A-B

Built a set of David/Jerico Watt/Puppy clones several years ago. While moving the puppy's were damaged, smashed beyond use.

I picked up a couple Aurasound NS10-513's to replace the original dual 8's.

The NS10's arrived on Monday, I played pink noise thru them for 24hrs to loosen them up. Scabbed together a single 55 liter box, tuned to 28hz for one NS10. I also have a couple Eton 8-800's from center channel project. Built a single 42 Liter box tuned to 32hz for one of the Eton's.

Hooked them up thru a Marchand electronic x-over. Woofer to midrange x-over'd @ 280hz. I know this is probably not an ideal x-over point, but hey it's what I have and I'm having a time. Listen to each in mono thru an ancient Harmon Kardon integrated amp(pre amp only for mono function) and a Spectral Dma90 amp. Listening to Holly Cole "Temptation" This is a good way to compare center channels as well, hooking up two speakers in mono listening to a familiar cd vs explosions and car crashes.

NS10, no contest in low frequency extension and authority. No surprise there comparing a 8" to a 10". Pitch is a little loose and slow, timbre doesn't quite blend with the midrange, low frequencies stick out just a bit. These are MINOR complaints. Could I live with this woofer? Yes.

Eton, for the range it plays blends better with the midrange, better pitch and timbre. Could I live with this woofer? No, would have to add a sub woofer.

So what is the difference I'm hearing? The cone material? The Seas mid is coated paper. Is it better to use drivers with the same cone material?

Would be interesting to compare the Eton 11-581 to the NS10. At triple the cost, not gonna happen.

Kevin
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

You're comparing two completely different types of drivers. One is virtually a subwoofer, the other is a midwoofer, so you're comparing apples vs oranges.....

Also the lower tuned box will tend to sound "slower" given it's lower Fb.

BTW if you want to stop by I can loan you a Behringer crossover that offers completely variable crossover points. This would be handy for figuring out what Marchand modules you'll eventually want to make.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Jed
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Apr 2005

Thomas is exactly right. Use the NS10 below 200-150hz for better performance.

Comment

• antivawt
        • Sep 2008

I realize it wasn't a "fair" A-B, comparing a 8" to a 10". Some curious free time on my hands. Within the frequency range of the Eton, I did prefer it.

Should of thought of the low Fb of the NS10 box would yield "slow" bass. I'll try a slightly smaller box with a higher FB, to see how it effects the transient response, knowing I'm going to give up some lower fz's. Right now it's a tad slow for my taste.

Had a 4 Tempest IB sub in our previous home, that's part of the problem here, I miss that effortless bass of the IB, tough to get that out of a box!

Thomas, thanks for the offer. I'll be on the southside of Denver late tomorrow morning. I'll Give you a call in the morning.

Kevin

Comment

• antivawt
          • Sep 2008

Jed, it will be interesting to see how lowering the x-over fz effects things.

Kevin

Comment

• antivawt
            • Sep 2008

Thomas, thanks for the Behringer loan. Stopped by the Guitar Center on the way home and picked up some balance to rca adaptors. I'll mess around with the Behringer this weekend.

Per your suggestion, I stuffed some fill in the cabinet (robbed it from my center channel). It did make a difference, sounds a little tighter.

I'm a little confused on the original mid to woofer x-over point. From looking at a few charts on the net of 1st order designs, the 3.3mh inductor to the woofers and the 112uf cap to the mid don't jive to a specific x-over point?

Kevin

Comment

• Jed
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Apr 2005

You can find a test of the aura here:

Comment

• ThomasW
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Originally posted by antivawt
                From looking at a few charts on the net of 1st order designs, the 3.3mh inductor to the woofers and the 112uf cap to the mid don't jive to a specific x-over point?
                He's using different points for each driver. Not all that unusual a situation
                Last edited by ThomasW; 31 October 2008, 11:59 Friday.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• ThomasW
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

It was late when I replied last noc so here's more info....

Thoreston is a component minimalist and this projects reflects that philosophy. After this project he moved on to fullrange drivers with little to no crossover.

Using passive components is the easiest way to mix and match different XO topologies. Low to modestly priced active crossovers like the lower cost Behringers or Marchand XM9 aren't designed to do these things. They only do a fixed XO point with identical slopes. AFAIK, there are few exceptions to this, the Behringer DCX2496, the Marchand XM44, and the Nelson Pass active unit that costs as much as most people pay for a car....

For prototyping the obvious choice is the Behringer DCX2496. I have one of those you can borrow if you want to experiment. Understand it's not 'plug-n-play' like the 2310

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"