X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cobbpa
    • Apr 2005

Wal-Mart HDTV Ads

Have you seen these TV commercials? The ones where a couple is shopping for an HDTV in a melodramatically snobby boutique store and they eventually ask, "Why is it so much more expensive than at Wal-Mart?"

Wal-Mart's HDTV page

Does anyone have any feelings about this? Maybe it's because I've been studying all night about product & position for an upcoming marketing exam, but it struck me as interesting. I notice they do carry a decent selection of HDTVs, but definitely not everything you'd find at a high-end store, not even close to a Best Buy.
    Do you see it as good, because the more people that have HDTV capabilities, the more broadcasts & products will be made to use those abilities?
    Or is it bad, because a lot of people will buy sub-par HDTVs and maybe set them up poorly and thus give up / bash on HDTV?

Kind of HT philosophy here I'd like to know what others think about this, I'm not really sure where I stand on Wal-Mart advertising this way and the results it will have.
  • Arneson
    • Jan 2006

Personally I went to the little guy shop and got a 61' at a great price.
    What concerns me more about cheap electronics in general is the effect on repair shops.
    You cannot fix something that is cheaper to replace, they are discarded.
    Look what's out on the curb every week. TV's, computers refridgerators, ovens.
    Many may even function, they are just obsolete. That could be another whole rant.
    Jim

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by cobbpa
      Have you seen these TV commercials? The ones where a couple is shopping for an HDTV in a melodramatically snobby boutique store and they eventually ask, "Why is it so much more expensive than at Wal-Mart?"

Wal-Mart's HDTV page

Does anyone have any feelings about this? Maybe it's because I've been studying all night about product & position for an upcoming marketing exam, but it struck me as interesting. I notice they do carry a decent selection of HDTVs, but definitely not everything you'd find at a high-end store, not even close to a Best Buy.
      Do you see it as good, because the more people that have HDTV capabilities, the more broadcasts & products will be made to use those abilities?
      Or is it bad, because a lot of people will buy sub-par HDTVs and maybe set them up poorly and thus give up / bash on HDTV?

Kind of HT philosophy here I'd like to know what others think about this, I'm not really sure where I stand on Wal-Mart advertising this way and the results it will have.

Here's my 2 cents..

I feel like that add is an attack on small business owners who tell their customers that "the big guys" like Wal-Mart or Best Buy don't know anything about HD or what would make one TV better than another... so Wal-Mart is fireing back

of course it is also simultaneously a nod to their own (Wal-Mart) customers who of course shop only on price, not quality.

In short the ad says: We have the same TV's and we cost less

What the ad does not say: If you need to know anything about TV"s we can't help you, but all out TV's are just great... :roll:

Comment

• Azeke
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2003

The only HDTV I would consider at Walmart is the Panny 50" at $2548.00 (beware, no PC input). Perhaps they will add to their HD line, but it didn't seem they offered the quality line of products as of yet, IMHO. Your mileage of course may vary.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• spyboy
          • Jun 2005

Azeke has this one exactly right. The 50PX60U at 2548 plus only like $18 shipping undercuts the best price I've ever seen at BB or CC by $150.

Comment

• Alaric
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Arneson
            Personally I went to the little guy shop and got a 61' at a great price.
            What concerns me more about cheap electronics in general is the effect on repair shops.
            You cannot fix something that is cheaper to replace, they are discarded.
            Look what's out on the curb every week. TV's, computers refridgerators, ovens.
            Many may even function, they are just obsolete. That could be another whole rant.
            You can't "fix" a plasma or LCD display. Your best bet is to buy from the retailer who offers an extended service policy with a replacement clause. Ideally , in that arena , you're shopping for the ESP by price with as much relevance as the monitor itself.
            Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
            Marantz PM-KI Pearl
            Schiit Modi 3
            Marantz CD5005
            Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Alaric
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Jan 2006

p.s. The "gas bag" that is a plasma display is several times the cost of the circuit boards that make up the tuner-replacement is more cost-effective than repair-plus you get a brand new factory warranty. However-BEWARE- many extended warranties will cover replacement one time only. If you avail yourself of that option your ESP is null and void. New unit=new ESP.
              Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
              Marantz PM-KI Pearl
              Schiit Modi 3
              Marantz CD5005
              Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Lex
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Apr 2001

Walmart has made no bones about it, they are trying to appeal to a higher end customer. This means going after Best Buy head on on the basis of price and after mom and pop stores on the basis of convenience, price, and so on...

They've realized that Joe 6-pack cannot support Walmart by himself. They need the high end subdivision crowd to support all areas of the store. Growth in higher end electronics is occuring. I saw them adjusting a new "display of displays" locally just last friday. So, Walmart is moving forward, trying to attract a more middle to upper middle class clientel. They may even become more service conscious, and thus, the circle of retailing. Once they've gotten bogged down to a certain point with growth ambitions, they will open up the door for another retailer to come in at the bare bones market approach.

Frankly, Walmart in a sense was becoming K-Mart, and I think that scared the hell out of them-
                Doug
                "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Nick M
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Nov 2004

My local wally world just added 6 new LCD screens to it's lineup. 24-34", both 4x3 and 16x9, and various rez's at 480p and 720p. Nothing bigger than 34" or 720p however.

Sales clearks are mostly doorknobs too when it comes to technical questions.
                  ~Nick

Comment

• aud19
                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2003

I don't think it will change much personally. People who know better will still do proper research/ask qualified staff at B&M stores, people who just want a cheap TV will go to Walmart etc.
                    Jason

Comment

• Sponge
                      • May 2006

^agreed and I think the ads are funny as hell too!

They will make the masses more aware of cheap TV's and those that want better will find them...I am going to be picking up the Panny 50" this week it looks like and with that price I will see if Tweeter wants to match it. I hate the idea of buying it from any big box retailer particuarly Wal-Mart but at that price difference one has to consider it.
                      Old HT guy getting back into it!

Comment

• Lex
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Apr 2001

Well, I went to Best Buy for a new hard drive a while back, and in a 250 gig could not buy a 16mb cache unit. I bought an 8, and suffered with performance, and then the drive went completely belly up in 2 months. I bought a 250 gig 16mb cache drive at Walmart for 126 bucks, a Seagate.
                        Doug
                        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• David Meek
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

And why wouldn't you want a "digital meat smoker" to go with your HDTV?

This is just another example of a major retailer deciding it wants to aggressively go after a portion of the market. Joe Average isn't aware of the various issues associated with purchasing a flat-panel and therefore doesn't ask the questions that the vast majority of Walmart staff probably couldn't answer. For us, this will have the effect of bringing the prices on panels down in the boutique stores - at least on the models that Wallyworld is carrying.

And Lex is correct, Walmart is moving towards a more affluent customer. One of my distributors was talking to me about above-ground firepits and mentioned that Walmart is going to be handling such-and-such a line of them as part of a move towards a more upscale customer. Times are a-changin'.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Marzen
                            • Jul 2005

As long as were on a marketing vein...anyone care to make a prediction for Black Friday? With the glut of lcd's left over on the shelves after the World Cup and prices at nat'l big box stores below a grand for a 32" hdtv with atsc/quam tuners I wonder if they'll drop below $700 to clear out some stock for the holidays. CRT hd sets have been moved (ostracized?) to their own little shelf at my local BB.
                            -Ward
                            What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?

Comment

• Sponge
                              • May 2006

^well put my buddy that owns a custom hi-fi shop told me that if you think the prices are low now wait until November...he was just at CEDIA and that's what he was told.

Comment

• cobbpa
                                • Apr 2005

Is this for plasma too or just LCD?

I like this discussion so far. I agree it should bring prices down overall, but the only fear I hold is that it may eventually actually decrease demand if people have bad experiences and begin badmouthing HDTV. "I couldn't even see a difference and there were these ghost sorta lines on the screen." Or something like that.

Comment

• comeup
                                  • Jul 2005

Funny thing, when you take that cheap Walmart flatscreen home and have no other brand to compare it to it looks pretty dam good in 1080i, have to admit I bought a 27 inch RCA hdtv tube for 298$ for the bedroom from Walmart( Don't be mad at me). Just couldn't pass it up.
                                  Blake

Comment

• Arneson
                                    • Jan 2006

Alaric, I fix LCD's, that's what I do.
                                    I haven't fixed a plasma set and don't want to try. Yet to see one I liked.
                                    Was on a 60" new Searay yesterday and every wall on the boat had a Sharp Aquas built in.(9 of them total).
                                    Also put a lot of Visio on board where an old tube set needs replacing.
                                    Third most common TV for marine is the Wega's.
                                    Jim

Comment

• Nick M
                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                      • Nov 2004

Sceptre has a 1080p 37" LCD screen now for under $2k.
                                      That should send a ripple out into the higher end! 8O
                                      ~Nick

Comment

• whoaru99
                                        • Jul 2004

One thing we all tend to forget is that "Joe 6-pack" (no disrespect intented) isn't necessarily looking for top shelf and probably doesn't have quite as critical eye for the differences as the typical enthusiast.
                                        There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• cobbpa
                                          • Apr 2005

^^ This is true. I have a cousin who bought a 42" and is happy with it just for size & form factor; didn't even mention picture when showing it to me.

Also worth mentioning, I think...has anyone else seen the Time Warner cable commercials? They talk about "just because you have an HDTV, doesn't mean you're watching HD." These are very beneficial, as I once had a friend who thought HDTV = everything always looks better, thusly he was disappointed in HDTV. These TW commercials will probably help a lot of people understand HD doesn't need just a TV to get a better picture.

Comment

• comeup
                                            • Jul 2005

Originally posted by cobbpa
                                            ^^ This is true. I have a cousin who bought a 42" and is happy with it just for size & form factor; didn't even mention picture when showing it to me.

Also worth mentioning, I think...has anyone else seen the Time Warner cable commercials? They talk about "just because you have an HDTV, doesn't mean you're watching HD." These are very beneficial, as I once had a friend who thought HDTV = everything always looks better, thusly he was disappointed in HDTV. These TW commercials will probably help a lot of people understand HD doesn't need just a TV to get a better picture.

I sent two rptv's back when I first bought thinking every channel was going to be a thing of beauty what a disappointment at first.

Ps, Dish Network has over 30 HD channels now
                                            Blake

Comment

• cobbpa
                                              • Apr 2005

Originally posted by comeup

Indeed; my cousin researched & chose Dish. He said it wasn't even worth questioning cable. Smart move by TW to advertise based on HD first though.

Comment

• Brandon B
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Jun 2001

There's actually a suit against DirecTV for over compressing their HD channels:

BB

Comment

• Arneson
                                                  • Jan 2006

There is material on HD that isn't neccesarily better because its clearer.
                                                  The decision to to send out an HD program goes back to the concept of the material, the cast, the makeup, all of the shooting conditions, such as, rain, sand, lighting.
                                                  I'm not sure I want to be distracted by every pore on a beautiful girls face, or rain drops all over, or, or,
                                                  When your enjoying football, baseball, basketball,hockey. that's different.
                                                  I want to see every hit, smack, and kaplluey in full clear depth.
                                                  You guys know this is, shot in HD, uplinked in HD, downlinked in HD and decoded and displayed in HD.
                                                  How much high def TV is there?
                                                  Jim

Comment

• Sponge
                                                    • May 2006

^ok this is getting off topic but I'll roll with it...does anyone know the direction a DishTV dish has to point? I can't get the HD signal from DirecTV because of a HUGE tree in my neighbors yard but can get the SD signal.

I wander if there is a chance I can get Dish...I'll do some research if no one knows just being lazy.

Many thanks!

Comment

• comeup
                                                      • Jul 2005

Sponge, most of my hd channels are coming from 61.5 which is on the east coast the dish from my house is pointed SE pointing slightly down from the top of my house 2 story, i'm in northern California. You would have better luck if your on the eact coast.

I also think that companies like Walmart will bring down the price of hd tv's, Good or Bad I don't know, but if bad we have to blame the companies that do business with them also.
                                                      Blake

Comment

• comeup
                                                        • Jul 2005

I'm not sure I want to be distracted by every pore on a beautiful girls face, or rain drops all over, or, or,

I don't know about that Arneson Bikini Destinations on HDNET sure looks good in HD I mean GREAT :E
                                                        Blake

Comment

• Alaric
                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                          • Jan 2006

Alaric, I fix LCD's, that's what I do.
                                                          I haven't fixed a plasma set and don't want to try. Yet to see one I liked.
                                                          Was on a 60" new Searay yesterday and every wall on the boat had a Sharp Aquas built in.(9 of them total).
                                                          Also put a lot of Visio on board where an old tube set needs replacing.
                                                          Third most common TV for marine is the Wega's.
                                                          I stand corrected on the LCD's ops:
                                                          Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                                                          Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                                                          Schiit Modi 3
                                                          Marantz CD5005
                                                          Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Arneson
                                                            • Jan 2006

Bikini Destinations on HDNET sure looks good in HD
                                                            I also stand corrected. :lol:
                                                            Jim

Comment

• Sponge
                                                              • May 2006

Sponge, most of my hd channels are coming from 61.5 which is on the east coast the dish from my house is pointed SE pointing slightly down from the top of my house 2 story, i'm in northern California. You would have better luck if your on the eact coast.
                                                              I am in Chicago...Southeast would work b.c. Southwest is the direction causing the problem w/DirecTV. Thanks for the tip.

Comment

• Kevin D
                                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                                • Oct 2002

Sponge,

You're going to run into the same problem with Dish, but on their SD channels.

Direct uses 101 for SD, 110 & 119 for HD (one or both that you can't get)

Dish uses 110 & 119 for their SD (your screwed here) and 61.5 or 129 for their HD.

You can't move your dish or install multiple dishes?

Kevin D.

Comment

• DrJRapp
                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                  • Apr 2003

I'm kind of late jumping into this thread, but I recently had an experience with Walmart that was an eye opener. The end of August we all flew up to Springfield, Tenn for my wife's sister's wedding. Springfield is a rural community about 20 miles outside of Nashville. The best (and practically only) big store in town was a brand spankin new Super Walmart. The store was very impressive, built and decorated better than most Walmarts I've seen of late. Well my wife and daughter neeeded "stuff" (they always seem to need "stuff') so we headed on over (well it was just across the street from our hotel). While they went after their "stuff" I went to kill time in my favorite place...the electronics department. I vaguely thought something was a bit wrong but didn't quite have a handle on it till I asked the department manager where they kept their HDDVDs. Her response was "what's a HDDVD? Then it stuck me what was wrong...there were no 16x9 LCDs or Plasmas anywhere in the department. I was able to find a 32" Phillips 16x9 CRT...but that was it. period, case closed.

I really think that Walmart has a long way to go before they pose a serious threat to Best Buy, however, BB beware....they have been known to cover a lot of ground very fast.
                                                                  Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• Sponge
                                                                    • May 2006

Originally posted by Kevin D
                                                                    Sponge,

You're going to run into the same problem with Dish, but on their SD channels.

Direct uses 101 for SD, 110 & 119 for HD (one or both that you can't get)

Dish uses 110 & 119 for their SD (your screwed here) and 61.5 or 129 for their HD.

You can't move your dish or install multiple dishes?

Kevin D.
                                                                    Argh! no I have too many trees in my yard/neighbors yard. Looks like I am going Comcast :roll:

Back on topic w/Walmart...they are out of stock on the Panny 50" and now its an online only deal. I knew I should have gone to Tweeter the day I saw this now they are going to stick to their orginal pricing.

Comment

• SteveCallas
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Aug 2005

The more people who own HDTV's the better the chances of us geting more channels in HD. As for the uninformed consumer, it extends to the cable companies as well. My aunt and uncle decided to get an HDTV and the HD tier after seeing mine and my parents in person. I talked to them on the phone right after the cable guys left, and they were telling me that the screen wasn't being filled. After some questions, I found out that the cable guy used a component video cable as an audio/video composite cable :E

So yeah, the uneducated are at a disadvantage, but all the cable and broadcast companies are going to look at is the number of homes that have HDTVs. So sell them dirt cheap at Walmart, get one in everybody's home :T

Comment

• Snap
                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                        • Feb 2005

I have not got to read everyone's post on this idea so if I echo what some one else already said then I am sorry. The problem I have with Wal-Mart HDTV is several things.

1st of all the 2 wal-mart super centers in 20 minutes of my house do NOT have the HD hooked up correct. Then add salt to the cut, they have the TV set to a NON-HD channel, and have it zoomed to fit the screen. (Go figure how that looks!)

2nd The TV's that they have are not that good of HDTV's. Even the when they use the brands that have a pretty good rep. (Sharp, Samsung) they only have the lowest model that these companies make. So people see a 50 inch Magnavox for 1800 and think this is what all plasma's should be priced at. Why would I want to pay the same price for a 42 inch Panny or LG?

3rd There is NO one there to answer the question at the end of the 2nd statment! So what we have is a bunch of uneducated consumers thinking that they are getting the best deal in the world.

There is a lot of good stuff at Wal-Mart. I spend hundreds of bucks there on a weekly basis. But it pains me to see them throwing a bunch of cheap HDTV’s in there with out some trained sales staff. I understand the reasons behind it. $$$$$$ and they are going to make a bunch of it.

The only good thing about them selling HDTV, LOTS of people are going to have them, and that means more HD channels for us to view on a good HDTV!

Last Parting shot……..

“The bitterness of poor quality last much longer than the joy of low prices!”
                                                                        The Bitterness of poor quality last longer than the joy of low prices.

Comment

Working...
                                                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                        Search Result for "|||"